• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divekick |OT| My sneakers are ready

Sillution

Been trying to play online on my PS3 for the past two days, and I can never get into a Ranked match. It just sits on the searching screen. I have no issue playing any other online game on my PS3. Hoping this is resolved soon, I'm itching to play some online.

Tan

I'm getting matched up against so many Kung Paos ;_; What happened where did they all come from.

im set at 1080p but why is everything so big (like the steam web browser)?

From the Divekick forums:

krazhier said:
...in order to deal with some of the issues people were having with performance we are rendering 720p and letting the video card handle the stretching since our game natively is at 720p. This has the side effect of steam overlay also rendering at 720p heh.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
If Tobe is posting from our game, I guess the issue has to lie with me. I had some problems playing online (teleporting, lag, etc.) when the game was first released, but those appear to have cleared up over the past couple of days.
edit: nvm, you quick edited!

No wait, I still don't understand. I still get laggy games while playing with random people. Doesn't matter if I'm hosting or they are, there will be lagging or framerate drops. Probably 5%-10% of my games are like that. I try to avoid the high ping players but it still lags with low pingers.

edit2: Oh I see what you're saying. If that's a screencap from your match with him then it's on you. That makes sense. I've never had a desync error except for the zooming bug I mentioned earlier in the thread, but that's not a full on disconnect.

vid

There are these two guys on PSN, wartutle and compsi, who I keep getting matched up against, who both have hundreds less points than me and who both pick kick with meter gem every game and spam kick+kick to build meter and use party starter over and over again. Every time I chain headshots and win.

What is going on? Who are they, anyone else face them?

I'm not sure, but after encountering Warturtle a few times, my theory is that he's just grinding for the 2,000 matches trophy.

superbank

I'm not sure, but after encountering Warturtle a few times, my theory is that he's just grinding for the 2,000 matches trophy.
wowowowow

I hope he just has an autofire controller or a program doing those button presses...

K.Sabot

Fuck me. Internet frustration ahoy.

Infinite loading screen in private matches, could be a NAT thing? Though I'm also having some actual internet problems, the other person also couldn't connect to his friend.

Zornack

Man, no high point people playing PC tonight. Playing against people in the 50s is terrifying. I get two points for a win, and if I fuck up and lose I drop 60.

I found that guy for the second time today and the game froze as soon as the match started and I kept waiting and waiting for a disconnect but it never happened so I had to close the game and my disconnection % went up and I think it also gave me a loss and lowered my points

fuck that shit

Can someone explain how to use Dr. Shoals' aerial special? It seems complicated and I am tired if building kick factor to toy with it.

Also, what do I use her ground special for? Does it have I frames? I keep doing my second dive kick just past people's heads. Wtb Doom's hitbox! :p

GamerJM

Banned
Been playing online on and off.

God, this game is so good. Like, it might just be the most "fair" game I've ever played. I've never felt remotely angry or frustrated when I lose a match, I just want to play more. And I'm not even good!

How do I kick cancel it? Do I hold the buttons? I need way more than this. :p

Doesn't direction autocorrect?

Ok, let me get more detailed.
-Press both buttons to fly and if you're kicking it'll cancel it.
-You'll float until your meter runs out
-During it press Dive to move left and Kick to go right.
-Press both buttons again to cancel the flight and start falling again.
-You can kick again and yes I do believe it autocorrects.

Dahbomb

Can someone explain how to use Dr. Shoals' aerial special? It seems complicated and I am tired if building kick factor to toy with it.

Also, what do I use her ground special for? Does it have I frames? I keep doing my second dive kick just past people's heads. Wtb Doom's hitbox! :p
The flight cancel works like this:

In the air press both buttons to enter flight mode.

Press Dive or Kick to go left or right.

Press both buttons to unfly and after the unfly you can do your regular kicks again. You can basically do like 4 kicks in the air using this method.

The ground special is like a kick back for other characters. It's used when someone is close to you and you want to kill them. You basically do special, Kick, Kick. It's good for defensive maneuvering.

Karst you on Steam or PSN?

Dahbomb

If nothing else, he should be an easy target for people who want the YOLO and Choke trophies.
The YOLO, Choke and Total Domination trophies can be gotten easily by going for YOLO gem Shoals against Jefailey. The hard part is finding a Jefailey on ranked to play against. If you get paired up with King of Bums he will counter your YOLO with a YOLO gem of his own so you can't get 2 of those trophies against him.

I think I figured out how to turn around with Redacted and kick backwards. Go into Feral Stance, leave Kick pressed, and if you Dive to cancel the stance she'll turn around. Not sure if this is gonna be good for anything but hey at least now I know why it does it.

Dahbomb

I think I figured out how to turn around with Redacted and kick backwards. Go into Feral Stance, leave Kick pressed, and if you Dive to cancel the stance she'll turn around. Not sure if this is gonna be good for anything but hey at least now I know why it does it.
Wow this is kinda cool. Although I don't see much utility on this. Maybe as a way to escape a bad situation in a corner, I don't know.

Wow this is kinda cool. Although I don't see much utility on this. Maybe as a way to escape a bad situation in a corner, I don't know.

Well, I guess it kinda gets you further back than just kicking back but then again it also leaves you way more vulnerable potentially.

Edit: Hmm, although considering her angle maybe no really. It could dodge and punish stuff a normal kick->kick would get you hit maybe?

superbank

Fought [IGS]Krahzier and I went 2-5. Great use of redacted feral stance. Or rather it's me who's free to it.

Man there are tons of salty people and trashtalkers today. Guess it's the new weekend players. One dude was so mad he was making these little squeaking noises the whole game. You know when you want to yell but you're holding it in. Like that. There was another guy(wish I remember his name) who was so amped and confident he'd win playing the game his first time (shit talking for his stream viewers I guess). His tune changed quickly. It's hilarious when you can hear their friends in the back laughing.

Do you turn around in feral stance? You could avoid headshots that way.

Dahbomb

Man I am telling you guys the open mic thing is one of the best features of ranked play. Pure entertainment at times. I hope it never gets changed.

The flight cancel works like this:

In the air press both buttons to enter flight mode.

Press Dive or Kick to go left or right.

Press both buttons to unfly and after the unfly you can do your regular kicks again. You can basically do like 4 kicks in the air using this method.

The ground special is like a kick back for other characters. It's used when someone is close to you and you want to kill them. You basically do special, Kick, Kick. It's good for defensive maneuvering.

Karst you on Steam or PSN?

Ok, let me get more detailed.
-Press both buttons to fly and if you're kicking it'll cancel it.
-You'll float until your meter runs out
-During it press Dive to move left and Kick to go right.
-Press both buttons again to cancel the flight and start falling again.
-You can kick again and yes I do believe it autocorrects.
Thanks gents, that helps a lot. I wish this game had training mode.

I am on the ps3 for local multiplayer, but I might double dip on steam in a week or two. I am also thinking about picking up KOF, though.

Is the kick gem agreed to be Shoals' best?

Either the Redacted vs Shoals match is super free or these Shoals just aren't good.

I also met and beat the same Shoals repeatedly and the guy ended up going for a mirror match next time we met...I lost. Still, I love Redacted mirror matches if only because it's likely there'll be at least one point at which we'll both just be growling at each other waiting for someone to press a button.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Either the Redacted vs Shoals match is super free or these Shoals just aren't good.

I also met and beat the same Shoals repeatedly and the guy ended up going for a mirror match next time we met...I lost. Still, I love Redacted mirror matches if only because it's likely there'll be at least one point at which we'll both just be growling at each other waiting for someone to press a button.

Redacted has a huge advantage over Shoals, especially if you take the dive gem. I just got a rampage on a Shoals online using redacted

True, but there's still the issue of people not really using flight cancels yet to deal with it.

tumblr_ms0u6rTQWo1qhhv13o1_500.jpg

This means shit but I'm still happy while it lasted.

johnhandy

i must be a scrub because i'm having a heck of a time with kick vs the baz. any suggestions? I get all sorts of confused when baz is standing next to me and I eat all sorts of lightning.

Dahbomb

i must be a scrub because i'm having a heck of a time with kick vs the baz. any suggestions? I get all sorts of confused when baz is standing next to me and I eat all sorts of lightning.
You rush him down asap. If they are trying to sit at one spot and build meter with lightning, your dive kick from down town will beat it out. If they try to do a horizontal dive kick to either catch you off guard or escape the situation, intercept it with a dive kick of your own. You will probably need a Kick gem to make you are on point with those intercepts.

327 is the top score on the PSN version? I think I have like a 360+ score on Steam.

I don't think it's super free but its in Redacted favor like 6-4. The crouch cancel really messes up Shoals if you are on point with it plus Redacted has just the right jump height and dive kick angle to punish Shoals approaches. I play Jefailey so I have learned Redacted just to put a stop to the Shoals shenanigans against Jefailey.

DMG-01

Man, some of you guys have some really funky controls. < and &#9675; for life.

Man I am telling you guys the open mic thing is one of the best features of ranked play. Pure entertainment at times. I hope it never gets changed.
I keep seeing you guys echo this sentiment and it makes me sad that I'm playing DK on PSN where almost no one has a mic. :(

327 is the top score on the PSN version? I think I have like a 360+ score on Steam.

That has to be either outdated or a character specific rating because top duder on PSN right now has 620.

Edit to prevent double posting: I just won two matches on ranked as Markman, but my MM ranking didn't change at all. Not even the W/L numbers or my streak. Is that supposed to happen?
Edit2: I then I just lost a match and won one, but one the victory was processed? Is there some delay or something?

Played for over an hour against a really kind Kung Pao player today (that I forgot to mute which I usually always do). He was much better than me and won most of the games we played, but was always super friendly and made sure to point out what I did wrong when I fell for his tactics and how I should try to counter him. For someone who usually avoids online due to second hand stories about how people just yell and are angry, I'm very impressed!

Zornack

Edit to prevent double posting: I just won two matches on ranked as Markman, but my MM ranking didn't change at all. Not even the W/L numbers or my streak. Is that supposed to happen?
Edit2: I then I just lost a match and won one, but one the victory was processed? Is there some delay or something?

The rating you see when you select ranked, or when you look at the rankings?

Top Bottom