• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divekick |OT| My sneakers are ready

Tan

Then that's what you should do. Build meter, wait for her super slow kick and punish it. Don't attack until you have kick factor. A sound strategy in this game.

Ya kung builds very very slow compared to kick, wait it out, don't do anything drastic and be mindful of her range. She's looking to go in if you kick at the wrong distance. If she messes up capitalize on it, otherwise you can just wait till kick factor which you'll get way before her.

Hmm, alright. I have a problem of cornering myself when I'm just building meter but I'll try to come out with more get away strategies.

Beckx

Then that's what you should do. Build meter, wait for her super slow kick and punish it. Don't attack until you have kick factor. A sound strategy in this game.

I get myself killed whenever I get aggressive, which usually happens whenever I get Kick Factor or just after getting a headshot. I actually burn meter to avoid kick factor.

storafötter;77911433 said:
I really feel sorry for Jefailey just the fact that his head becomes higher as he wins is a huge weakness. .

Actual quote from Keits when Jefailey was introduced: "He's the Dan of this game." :D

Dahbomb

This game isn't broken/imbalanced especially when you consider that the 2-3 best characters in the game are easily beatable with fundamentals/reads. Compared to other fighers the top tiers in this game are very fair. Some characters can definitely use some buffs though and there are some hard counter picks especially Shoals vs Jefailey which is the one true 9-1 match up in the game.

SkFr48F.jpg

I guess I am dumb. I thought I had to hold down the "Select" button too when navigating.

Is there a way to go back in the menus on the Vita version? Holding the dive button doesn't work.

SkFr48F.jpg

I guess I am dumb. I thought I had to hold down the "Select" button too when navigating.

Is there a way to go back in the menus on the Vita version? Holding the dive button doesn't work.

Nope, not as far as I can tell. I don't find the 2-button menus annoying, but not being able to back out of menus is an issue for me.

LProtag

I just got this.

I feel pretty good about my ability to learn this game. I played a guy and got frauded 2-3 times before winning 4 times in a row.

Zornack

There are these two guys on PSN, wartutle and compsi, who I keep getting matched up against, who both have hundreds less points than me and who both pick kick with meter gem every game and spam kick+kick to build meter and use party starter over and over again. Every time I chain headshots and win.

What is going on? Who are they, anyone else face them?

SamVimes

Does Kenny get a "secret" stance that no one else gets? Because there's one with wings but it isn't the stream monster.

There are these two guys on PSN, wartutle and compsi, who I keep getting matched up against, who both have hundreds less points than me and who both pick kick with meter gem every game and spam kick+kick to build meter until they can use party starter over and over again. Every time I chain headshots and win.

They're just trying to see how you respond to their partystarter game. First 6 matches are data.

kassatsu

Banned
There are these two guys on PSN, wartutle and compsi, who I keep getting matched up against, who both have hundreds less points than me and who both pick kick with meter gem every game and spam kick+kick to build meter and use party starter over and over again. Every time I chain headshots and win.

I am starting to think there are some serious matchmaking problems, I notice this too. I get the same like 2 or 3 people over and over.

ScOULaris

Yes. I played wartutle a bunch of times this morning, and he kept doing exactly what you're describing. I frauded him like four or five times before I left for work. I don't get it either.

Does Kenny get a "secret" stance that no one else gets? Because there's one with wings but it isn't the stream monster.

That's Dr. Shoals. Shoals' kickback is a straight up backdash (moves very horizontally, can't be divekicked from'), so I guess that's why it's visuallized with Stream's 'kickback wings'.

TheTwelve

16 pages in, and nobody has said this game is strategically shallow, as I feared. I'm very close to picking it up but I'm still going to read ya'll a bit more.

Zornack

Anyone else having sound issues when playing on a Vita on the rainy stage? It sounds weird and blown out to me. Everything else sounds normal.

SamVimes

Thanks everyone, that's actually the only character i didn't play yet and it seemed much different when i played against her!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
This happened again, but now instead of getting a double KO, Seth actually lost oh god

Man, I would've loved for this to have happened yesterday with Q just for the salt XD
I would have been fucking pissed xD

It makes me rage enough to lose after a parry vs Shoals

FluxWaveZ

So I switched to an arcade stick from an Xbox 360 and PS3 controller on a whim after I was extremely frustrated with my performance. Suddenly, moves are coming out when I want them to and I've started winning again.

Didn't realize an arcade stick would make such a dramatic difference compared to the controllers.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
I've encounter a bug enough times I need to complain. After engaging kickfactor the screen zooms in and pulls out, but sometimes when you kick again it will zoom in a little bit more and stay there. Or the zoom carries over into the next. Playing DK cropped is possible, but not great.

There's also a bug (might only be with Stream, not sure) when it transitions to the next round he'll instantly jump straight up. It happens before the round starts so it doesn't effect the match. It's possible it only happens when he gets headshot, not sure.

Any reason why Kick is so absent from the (PC) leaderboards? It's mostly Dive, Shoals, Markman and S-Kill.
Dives jump+kick angle is more aggressive so people choose him. That's probably all there is to it. Dives specials are probably more appealing too.

FluxWaveZ

Speaking of bugs, there's one with Kenny where if he dies or kills the opponent after he had activated his air special soon before, the vibrating sound of that special will persist throughout the whole match and it can happen multiple times (so two of those sounds are occurring at the same time at different intervals).

superbank

So I switched to an arcade stick from an Xbox 360 and PS3 controller on a whim after I was extremely frustrated with my performance. Suddenly, moves are coming out when I want them to and I've started winning again.

Didn't realize an arcade stick would make such a dramatic difference compared to the controllers.
I bought a stick just for Divekick. :) It's not a fancy sanwa button stick but it works.

LakeEarth

I've witnessed similar bugs where the camera zooms in and won't zoom out. Usually in laggy conditions where the game thinks a death happens and zooms in for the death animation. If the game rolls back, the zoom does not undo and you're stuck fighting with a limited viewing space.

Zornack

Yay, just snagged the #1 spot on PSN. Time to take a break, I've played way too much of this game.

Any reason why Kick is so absent from the (PC) leaderboards? It's mostly Dive, Shoals, Markman and S-Kill.

I can't say for certain, I main dive, but if I had to guess I'd say it's because of his relatively low dive. Most of the top tier characters have an air advantage over him.

Also, anyone know what's the difference between your PR and your CR? My CR is around 20 below my PR. What is it and how is it calculated?

superbank

PR is Player Rank, your overall rank, and CR is Character Rank just for that character. I'm pretty sure.

Keits

Developer
I've encounter a bug enough times I need to complain. After engaging kickfactor the screen zooms in and pulls out, but sometimes when you kick again it will zoom in a little bit more and stay there. Or the zoom carries over into the next. Playing DK cropped is possible, but not great.

There's also a bug (might only be with Stream, not sure) when it transitions to the next round he'll instantly jump straight up. It happens before the round starts so it doesn't effect the match. It's possible it only happens when he gets headshot, not sure.

Dives jump+kick angle is more aggressive so people choose him. That's probably all there is to it. Dives specials are probably more appealing too.

Speaking of bugs, there's one with Kenny where if he dies or kills the opponent after he had activated his air special soon before, the vibrating sound of that special will persist throughout the whole match and it can happen multiple times (so two of those sounds are occurring at the same time at different intervals).

We know about all this stuff.

The zoom getting stuck is a problem with the GGPO rollback happening.

The Stream bug we know about but haven't solved. The Kenny audio bug we know about and should be able to solve.

Dahbomb

People see Kick as a Dive clone and most people play Dive because he's the main character (sort of like the Ryu of the game). It will take a while before people realize that Kick is pretty damn good too and worth playing.

Enordash

Has anyone seen a Redacted player doing dive, kick, feral stance in rapid succession? If there is any kind of lag, the screen just starts jerking around like crazy.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
on a 10+ game winning streak with redacted. the only matchup i have trouble with is a good Markman (the spring kills redacted)

Woo, finally broke 200 PR, current w/l 24-25. Feel like I'm finally getting the hang of this game. I'm gonna play my match for the GB tournament in an hour or two so here's hoping I can make something happen.

on a 10+ game winning streak with redacted. the only matchup i have trouble with is a good Markman (the spring kills redacted)

I can't play Redacted to save my life. I feel that if I play anything other than super-defensive I might as well be playing Mr. N, since he has better escape options and thus isn't at as much of a risk when pushing.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I can't play Redacted to save my life. I feel that if I play anything other than super-defensive I might as well be playing Mr. N, since he has better escape options and thus isn't at as much of a risk when pushing.

with the dive gem it's just so easy to punish wiffed kicks from pretty much anyone. she especially counters doctor shoals because i can get up in the air so quickly. in most matchups i play hyper aggressive and try and force them to kick and punish it

Tobe

keits!!!!
V6dxSXg.jpg

chracters where dive/dive
gems kick/dive
stage dont actually remember
what whats happening, middle of the fight diving around it was 0/4 at that moment.

LakeEarth

Damn, Markman's "traps" persist to the next round? I started the next round with the black hole under me and I was dead so fast because of it.

DMG-01

Damn, Markman's "traps" persist to the next round? I started the next round with the black hole under me and I was dead so fast because of it.

I feel ya. I accidentally threw a spring onto my starting area as Markman and it lasted for two rounds with me starting the round jumping on it. I guess positioning is just another skill needed for good MM play.

Anyone up for some matches on PSN right now? I was hoping the tournament bracket would catch up to me but that seems to be a pipe dream for tonight.

superbank

keits!!!!
V6dxSXg.jpg

chracters where dive/dive
gems kick/dive
stage dont actually remember
what whats happening, middle of the fight diving around it was 0/4 at that moment.
Me and ian had the same thing. Quoting from the tournament thread:
Oh yeah we also had some weird lag issues that were resolved before the matches. Apparently the Steam chat box uses up enough bandwidth to effect the game. If you're having frame skipping issues (you or the opponent warp around) or the framerate drops to 15fps or so try closing out the chat box. We also had some desync errors, not sure how to address that. Unfortunately we had a desync on the first attempt at the third round but it was at the beginning so no harm done.
It shouldn't be sending that much data so it was very peculiar. Some more details: When ian hosted it was fine on his side but it was a warping nightmare for me. When I hosted both ian and I were having issues. So I'm wondering if it's on my end somehow, or maybe the other way around? Very strange.

We had 2 desyncs. The first one I don't remember, I think it was 4649 maybe? Or 4642. Don't quote me on that.

The second desync was Frame: 14362. I was hosting. ian was Dive with dive gem. I was Kick with style gem. We just started the match, keeping our distance doing kicks and it desynced 2-5 seconds in. I think it was kennys stage.

Edit: With the steam chat problem I pinpointed that the game was affected any time me or ian typed in the chat box or sent a message. That's when it would slow down to 15 fps. The warping seemed to happen when the chat box was open.

If Tobe is posting from our game, I guess the issue has to lie with me. I had some problems playing online (teleporting, lag, etc.) when the game was first released, but those appear to have cleared up over the past couple of days.

Top Bottom