• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divekick |OT| My sneakers are ready

Ferrio

Banned
Wow ranked is amazing. So many people have mics on and don't think they realize it.

First time rank... went 7/1... last game I choked the guy... and he just broke the fuck down.

How common is Kung Pao played?

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Wow ranked is amazing. So many people have mics on and don't think they realize it.

First time rank... went 7/1... last game I choked the guy... and he just broke the fuck down.

How common is Kung Pao played?
If I have a mic plugged in it will show the mic icon on my screen right? Not that I get that mad or anything, usually I'll comment on lag to myself if it happens. Just the idea of people hearing me without me knowing is kind of embarrassing.

Kung is not common at all on PC. People probably don't like her low jump and slow kick. I started using her more today. Them portal mindgames.

If I have a mic plugged in it will show the mic icon on my screen right? Not that I get that mad or anything, usually I'll comment on lag to myself if it happens.

No, even if it shows nothing it doesn't mean it's not on. It doesn't show anything next to my name, but yesterday Q said my mic was on.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
really enjoying redacted. her dive is so quick/high - a really huge advantage in a bunch of matchups

I was fighting AI S-kill with Stream, somehow after he parried and kicked, instead of losing we got a double KO. I wish I could've been fast enough to screenshot that.

This happened again, but now instead of getting a double KO, Seth actually lost oh god

Man, I would've loved for this to have happened yesterday with Q just for the salt XD

Ferrio

Banned
If I have a mic plugged in it will show the mic icon on my screen right? Not that I get that mad or anything, usually I'll comment on lag to myself if it happens. Just the idea of people hearing me without me knowing is kind of embarrassing.

Kung is not common at all on PC. People probably don't like her low jump and slow kick. I started using her more today. Them portal mindgames.

Portal should cost less I think... she takes way too long to build meter.. I never get to use portal. And her ground special is useless unless you have enough for air one.

Dahbomb

Portal should cost less I think... she takes way too long to build meter.. I never get to use portal. And her ground special is useless unless you have enough for air one.
You can keep that portal up in between rounds (the ground one) so when you get the meter for the air one you will appear outside that portal. If its positioned behind where the opponent spawns its a free kill.

Its just too bad that the other guy can destroy it but there are ways to position it so that its off screen.

King of Bums is amazing. He beat me when I was using Baz (although thats a good match up for Jefailey) and he beat me again when I tried to scrub him out with Shoals lol.

And I have had some hilarious moments due to open mic shenanigans. Please never take this feature out, the hilarity is part of Divekick.

Example 1:

*Guy is explaining his friend the nuisances of Dive Kick and I can hear it all. Then when I pick Baz to troll him he gets flustered and starts to call me a piece of shit cheap scrub player. I proceed to beat him resulting in more salt and his friend laughing in the background.

Example 2:

*Another guy I fought was using Kung Pao and I decided to play scumbag and pick Shoal against him (its a bad match for Kung). Immediately he started popping off something fierce "you piece of shit counter pick phag, picking that broken ass character". I beat him obviously and salt mine was crazy. After that whenever he is paired against me he rejects the match lol.

Open mic Ranked matches for life. Dive Kick is srs bizniss.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
No, even if it shows nothing it doesn't mean it's not on. It doesn't show anything next to my name, but yesterday Q said my mic was on.
Hmm, that's not good.

A rift in the air can make the opponent adjust their priorities though. They try to get rid of it and that might present an opening. Or placing it on their side could make them more nervous. I definitely had to build up meter over a few rounds but it payed off. I don't know though, I haven't played her enough to make any judgements.

You can keep that portal up in between rounds (the ground one) so when you get the meter for the air one you will appear outside that portal. If its positioned behind where the opponent spawns its a free kill.

Its just too bad that the other guy can destroy it but there are ways to position it so that its off screen.

King of Bums is amazing. He beat me when I was using Baz (although thats a good match up for Jefailey) and he beat me again when I tried to scrub him out with Shoals lol.

And I have had some hilarious moments due to open mic shenanigans. Please never take this feature out, the hilarity is part of Divekick.

Example 1:

*Guy is explaining his friend the nuisances of Dive Kick and I can hear it all. Then when I pick Baz to troll him he gets flustered and starts to call me a piece of shit cheap scrub player. I proceed to beat him resulting in more salt and his friend laughing in the background.

Example 2:

*Another guy I fought was using Kung Pao and I decided to play scumbag and pick Shoal against him (its a bad match for Kung). Immediately he started popping off something fierce "you piece of shit counter pick phag, picking that broken ass character". I beat him obviously and salt mine was crazy. After that whenever he is paired against me he rejects the match lol.

Open mic Ranked matches for life. Dive Kick is srs bizniss.
Ok, maybe it shouldn't change. :lol

And bums would fraud me. It would be fun.

tumblr_mrz29mGaqD1qhhv13o1_1280.jpg

Don't be like me kids, or else everything you know will become pain and suffering

Also, what the fuck kind of game is Seth planning on making

bounchfx

the baz is by far the worst part about this game, ugh. it's just not fun compared to anyone else. I wish there was an online ranked mode with only dive and kick.

FluxWaveZ

I'm pretty frustrated and I think it's because of who I inadvertently ended up "maining" (S-Kill). I feel that most matchups are an uphill battle, are very tough to go through and as though my opponent constantly has the advantage. Even mirror matches as S-Kill seem random as hell.

Might just have to tier whore it out with MarkMan or Kick.

And I really hate frequent rollback that can happen in matches against certain people. Some matches I had earlier were literally like a slideshow for me when they were probably fine for the opponent because of their input delay settings.

Ugh I'm participating in both the GAF and Giantbomb tournaments and I haven't even picked a main yet. Maybe Mr. N, with a side of Shoals for Markman counterpicks?

The PSN or Steam GB tourney?

Ferrio

Banned
Hmm, that's not good.

A rift in the air can make the opponent adjust their priorities though. They try to get rid of it and that might present an opening. Or placing it on their side could make them more nervous. I definitely had to build up meter over a few rounds but it payed off. I don't know though, I haven't played her enough to make any judgements.

Thing is by the time you get enough meter to make both portals you're almost at kick factor which I think is way better and way more reliable on her.

Ferrio

Banned
I think Kung Pao is kind of bad, though it could just be the characters that I use.

Her kick angle and back jump are awesome, but then she has a really low jump height,extremely slow kick, and very slow meter gain. To top it off she's the only one that her specials are linked (meaning her ground special is useless), very meter intensive, and very situational.

They should bring the air special down to the same cost as the ground one OR make her ground portal do something if it's shattered by the opponent(maybe it does?).

LaNaranja

I'm the #1 Dive in the world!!!!! (on PSN)

I'm pretty frustrated and I think it's because of who I inadvertently ended up "maining" (S-Kill). I feel that most matchups are an uphill battle, are very tough to go through and as though my opponent constantly has the advantage. Even mirror matches as S-Kill seem random as hell.

Might just have to tier whore it out with MarkMan or Kick.

And I really hate frequent rollback that can happen in matches against certain people. Some matches I had earlier were literally like a slideshow for me when they were probably fine for the opponent because of their input delay settings.

I have been having the worst luck against S-Kill. How the hell do you counter him? If I hang back then he just gains meter and then teleport-smashes me in the head and if I get close he teleports above me and smashes me on the head :(

Also I passed you on the leaderboard :)

2533879-2013-08-23-031534.jpg

Grecco

Im still having trouble trying to understand how to play the game. With S kill it seems you cant really rush down you just have to hang back and bait and punish with teleports

ScOULaris

Put in some time with Uncle Sensei today, and I think I may have found a new main. I love having two different kick angles to choose from at will, and watching my stance is one more thing for the opponent to have to think about when playing.

Other than him, Mr. N is the most solid all-around character for me, followed by Markman who is just a ton of fun to play.

Ranked matches never work when on my vita. Are you supposed to wait over 5 minutes every time. I noticed that there are big advantages to having several kicking angles but usually these characters are slow. Using mostly Dive and N.

LakeEarth

Her kick angle and back jump are awesome, but then she has a really low jump height,extremely slow kick, and very slow meter gain. To top it off she's the only one that her specials are linked (meaning her ground special is useless), very meter intensive, and very situational.

They should bring the air special down to the same cost as the ground one OR make her ground portal do something if it's shattered by the opponent(maybe it does?).

I find it really hard to re-position her. She always goes way too far. She should have some of Marn's specials.

And GOD does she suck against AI S.Kill. Holy shit, the worst in the game IMO. You never get the double kill, his kick always wins even if feet are overlapping. He appears above you all the time, which you can't do shit about. If he does that shit where he teleports directly above your head, you literally can't do anything about it because you're so slow and you can't jump above it. The only advantage is that you can feasibly angle yourself to hit below his legs (so he can't parry) but how can you hit him in time?*

Is that divekick angle chart accurate? Mr. N's angle is steeper than Wolverine's? I'd swear Redacted's is steeper.

*Nevermind what i said about Kung Pow vs AI S.Kill, I figured out the easiest way to beat the game with her. Just jump, wait a second, then kick. You'll always catch S.Kill on his second teleport kick. Very rarely does he not go for two quick teleports at the start, so her long range kick will catch him (where everyone else's is too shallow to do this trick, I think).

Dahbomb

Ugh I'm participating in both the GAF and Giantbomb tournaments and I haven't even picked a main yet. Maybe Mr. N, with a side of Shoals for Markman counterpicks?

Hehehe
Mr.N sucks. Go with Kick/Dive with a side of Shoals. Instead of Mr.N you can also play Redacted. Honestly if you just main Kick that will be enough, he has no real bad match ups.

LakeEarth

storafötter;77902713 said:
Anyone up for a match? Online is dead on PSN and I realize a lot of people at this hour are either at work or sleeping at this hour.
I'm on if you wanna play. Name is my PSN handle. I don't have a mic FYI.

FluxWaveZ

Im still having trouble trying to understand how to play the game. With S kill it seems you cant really rush down you just have to hang back and bait and punish with teleports

That's also what's frustrating with S-Kill. His game plan practically only relies on punishing an opponent's mistakes and nothing else.

LakeEarth

Wow Shoals counters Jefailey hard. Once his head grows, she can hit him so easily. If she crosses him up, he turns around which basically doubles his already retarded hitbox.

GG storafötter, too bad about the lag. Round TW-TW-TW-TWOOO-OOO ... FI-III-IGHT!

Keits

Developer
If anyone who thinks Kung is bad would like to play my Kung, hit me up.

Trust me when I say you do not want her buffed.

Dragon

Banned
Wow Shoals counters Jefailey hard. Once his head grows, she can hit him so easily. If she crosses him up, he turns around which basically doubles his already retarded hitbox.

GG storafötter, too bad about the lag. Round TW-TW-TW-TWOOO-OOO ... FI-III-IGHT!

Shoals is basically broken because of how she can change her kick a billion times in the air. Although I did fraud my friend with S Kill, he thought he had me until I parried, and his face when he realized that he had lost on that was so priceless.

Yeah the lag was terrible! So I understood that you quit but thanks for keeping up with me despite with the lag. Kick has some crazy effective specials I did not realize until now.

I really feel sorry for Jefailey just the fact that his head becomes higher as he wins is a huge weakness. You made me realize that I suck a N even if he was the character I have played the most. N works well with characters that are not fast or can jump as high (I love his float special) but I noticed I could massacred against Kick or Dive.
I should try some new characters. Shoals is definitely a contender to use for the tournament.

Enordash

Played through Story last night with Stream. I guess I can see his potential but it was quite the chore regardless. I haven't had the time I would have liked to practice so far. I am currently so bad at this game.

Baz is incredibly annoying but once you learn his patterns and match up he is easy. I noticed that with shoals if both jump, if you hit the kick button quick you will always win with the upperhand. It is all about the right timing and not to get caught up in his electricity. His counter zap is very scary.

I bought this last night thinking it was something I could play with my g/f. She HATES it. She doesn't like fighting games to begin with, but she'll usually play a few rounds of Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat with me when I get a new game, but she played one round of Dive Kick and said "That's the stupidest thing ever. I hate fighting games to begin with and you can't even move in this one." So I decided to proceed with Story Mode instead. Personally, I love the game. I don't see myself playing it forever, but for $8, I'll get my fun out of it.

LakeEarth

storafötter;77911433 said:
Yeah the lag was terrible! So I understood that you quit but thanks for keeping up with me despite with the lag. Kick has some crazy effective specials I did not realize until now.
I don't even want Kick's kickfactor to activate, I just want that rocket kick special at the ready at all times. The stomp is interesting, I've only really got to work once.

I really feel sorry for Jefailey just the fact that his head becomes higher as he wins is a huge weakness.
Once his head grows ~2 rounds big, it's almost impossible to miss him. Just aim Shoal's steep dive directly behind Jefailey. If he jumps up, you hit him. If he jumps back, you hit him. If he stands still, he turns his gigantic head around and you hit him. All he can do is pre-emptively jump forward, which doesn't put him at a great position. It's awful.

Ferrio

Banned
I find it really hard to re-position her. She always goes way too far. She should have some of Marn's specials.

And GOD does she suck against AI S.Kill. Holy shit, the worst in the game IMO. You never get the double kill, his kick always wins even if feet are overlapping. He appears above you all the time, which you can't do shit about. If he does that shit where he teleports directly above your head, you literally can't do anything about it because you're so slow and you can't jump above it. The only advantage is that you can feasibly angle yourself to hit below his legs (so he can't parry) but how can you hit him in time?

Is that divekick angle chart accurate? Mr. N's angle is steeper than Wolverine's? I'd swear Redacted's is steeper.

Ya or just a rework of her specials completely. Right now they might as well not exist.

Tan

Someone tell me how to play against Kung as Kick. I'm so bad. The only way I ever seem to hit her is by baiting out kicks or getting kick factor.

LakeEarth

Someone tell me how to play against Kung as Kick. I'm so bad. The only way I ever seem to hit her is by baiting out kicks or getting kick factor.

Then that's what you should do. Build meter, wait for her super slow kick and punish it. Don't attack until you have kick factor. A sound strategy in this game.

Ferrio

Banned
Then that's what you should do. Build meter, wait for her super slow kick and punish it. Don't attack until you have kick factor. A sound strategy in this game.

Ya kung builds very very slow compared to kick, wait it out, don't do anything drastic and be mindful of her range. She's looking to go in if you kick at the wrong distance. If she messes up capitalize on it, otherwise you can just wait till kick factor which you'll get way before her.

Top Bottom