• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divekick |OT| My sneakers are ready

DMG-01

Yeah, they can take a while to update. They'll also update wrong occasionally, at some point I had an extra loss than I currently have, but when it refreshed it corrected itself.

Ah, good to know, thanks. I was starting to worry that certain rounds didn't count.

Dahbomb

For someone who usually avoids online due to second hand stories about how people just yell and are angry, I'm very impressed!
Nah online is mixed with good people and salty people. A majority of the people end a match with GG win or lose so that's always good.

DMG-01

I just frauded a Baz with Shoals just like how you do against Jefaileys and it felt so, so, so good. After having gotten wrecked by three or four Bazzes today, I needed that pick-me-up.

AcridMeat

Banned
I just frauded a Baz with Shoals just like how you do against Jefaileys and it felt so, so, so good. After having gotten wrecked by three or four Bazzes today, I needed that pick-me-up.
Baz is such an anti-fun character for me. I guess the challenge is nice, but what you have to do is so different that I don't feel that satisfied winning either.

DMG-01

Ha! I just fought against CompSci88. The poor kid really wants that trophy. But on the bright side, it seems as though he has some sort of turbo button setup, so he isn't manually wasting all of that time.

Baz is such an anti-fun character for me. I guess the challenge is nice, but what you have to do is so different that I don't feel that satisfied winning either.

I used to be okay with him, but the more I fight him, the worse I seem to fare against him. I probably just need to practice over and over with a friend; he must have some easily exploitable weakness. The best counter to him that I've found so far is Shoals since she has a strong horizontal Kick and a very high Dive. Plus, her air special really helps out when the Style Gem Kick spamming Baz activates his Kickfactor. (Although, that doesn't help me when I'm using any character that I actually prefer... And counter-picking feels so dirty...)

Zornack

Been having laggy games and D/C'ing a bunch this morning on PC. No problems with anything else internet-related. Anyone else having issues?

Oh shit the person I'm playing next in the GB tournament might be using Redacted and the only character I've put some work in so far is Shoals. Need some pointers on how to handle this bad matchup.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Oh shit the person I'm playing next in the GB tournament might be using Redacted and the only character I've put some work in so far is Shoals. Need some pointers on how to handle this bad matchup.

When I play Redacted against Shoals I just play defensively. Shoal's kick is too slow and I can punish any kick she make towards me. Make Redacted go on the offensive, maybe try building meter? You can also cancel your kicks in midair when Redacted tries to go on you

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
I've been running into Baz players who aren't even focusing on the kickfactor ability and they have me beat. My timing is just a little bit off for the highest intercepts and they catch me there. Over and over. I revise what I said before, it's easiest to beat them with a high jumping character so you can deny all movement, and your timing and prediction has to be really good.

Scumbag Jefailey.

Hmm I dunno. Redacted is a really good counter to Shoals since she's so fast and can jump high. In fact, there are tons of good counters. Dive and Kick for the keep under strategy (probably Markman too), Mr.N, Redacted, and Uncle Sensei(if you can manage stance changes to avoid handstand footshots) for the airspace denial. Probably more...

Someone give Sentiest some advice!

AcridMeat

Banned
I used to be okay with him, but the more I fight him, the worse I seem to fare against him. I probably just need to practice over and over with a friend; he must have some easily exploitable weakness. The best counter to him that I've found so far is Shoals since she has a strong horizontal Kick and a very high Dive. Plus, her air special really helps out when the Style Gem Kick spamming Baz activates his Kickfactor. (Although, that doesn't help me when I'm using any character that I actually prefer... And counter-picking feels so dirty...)
Ha same for me. I was doing better against them than I do now. My "counter" would be picking Mr. N and then timing the kick right so you can come down on his stupid face as he's in mid-air/kick before the lightning goes.

But then he has anti fun like making himself lightning and then the lightning kick which is lame as hell.

When I play Redacted against Shoals I just play defensively. Shoal's kick is too slow and I can punish any kick she make towards me. Make Redacted go on the offensive, maybe try building meter? You can also cancel your kicks in midair when Redacted tries to go on you

I'll try some antics with the hover then, thanks. I have a feeling that holding back and building meter is a bad idea, though, since Redacted benefits way more from kickfactor than I do.

I'll try some antics with the hover then, thanks. I have a feeling that holding back and building meter is a bad idea, though, since Redacted benefits way more from kickfactor than I do.

If you really plan on sticking to Shoals you absolutely need flight cancels. Redacted can very easily punish you on reaction and that at least gives you some sort of feint.

bounchfx

agreed, the only way I can beat him is with Schoals, and I only pick her if they pick baz, because Baz is just stupid to fight against any other way for me :(

DMG-01

A couple interesting online encounters:

1. I don't want this strategy to be out in the open, but it was too cool for me to keep to myself. I was facing a Dive and he used Parabolic Arc at the start of a round to clear the puddle of glue that I had placed between the two starting spots in the previous round. I was very impressed.

2. I faced a Jefailey who picked YOLO gem after I had already picked Kick gem and Markman. Needless to say, it was a one round fight. I have no idea what the guy was thinking.

agreed, the only way I can beat him is with Schoals, and I only pick her if they pick baz, because Baz is just stupid to fight against any other way for me :(

Are you my long lost twin brother?

Dahbomb

2. I faced a Jefailey who picked YOLO gem after I had already picked Kick gem and Markman. Needless to say, it was a one round fight. I have no idea what the guy was thinking.
There's a guy online whose name is YOLO Baz.

And as the name suggests, the guy picks Baz and YOLO gem.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Just got frauded in ranked by the same guy twice. Just when I thought I was getting good. His Sensei was really good - it was so hard to play against.

DMG-01

I may be paranoid, but I think some people think that Jefailey is a counter pick to MM. It's happened too many times to ignore now that I'll pick MM and a non-Jefailey main will pick him after I'm locked in. Is this a thing?

Edit: Oh snap I just Total Domination'd some random dude without being cheapo YOLO Shoals or anything like that. I actually feel pretty awful about it still.

galvatron

Whoo hoo, got a dropper in unranked today.

Guess my Shoals frauds were too much (which is weird since he frauded me once in the set)

FluxWaveZ

So this has happened to me several times and I think it's silly: when S-Kill uses his air special, there are times when he will have completely disappeared from the screen and the opponent's kick still connects with thin air where S-Kill was, resulting in a loss for him. It just looks weird.

So this has happened to me several times and I think it's silly: when S-Kill uses his air special, there are times when he will have completely disappeared from the screen and the opponent's kick still connects with thin air where S-Kill was, resulting in a loss for him. It just looks weird.

Yeah, you can hit him at the very last frame(s) of his 'teleport away' animation, which makes it look like he's not there at all.

EDIT: Goddamnit, I got disconnected from steam for some reason while I was winning and now I have a 1% disconnect rate besmirching my profile.

superbank

Okay. Considering Adelheid with her S-kill has been at the top of the Steam leaderboards for a while now I figure this post needs to be made. Actually she was just recently bumped to 2nd by Kerahime so even more so this info needs to be divulged since she will soon be playing again to get back on top. I don't think an S-kill should be that high on the list considering his major weaknesses.

disclaimer: I am not that great at this game so take it with a grain of salt. I will also be talking out of my ass about her thought process and playstyle.

Two days ago I managed to beat Adelheid in a single ranked match. Normally a single match wouldn't mean much but considering she's at 201/42 with a 16 streak and after I player her (I think) she was at 41 loses, I'd say that's a pretty big deal. I felt I was reading her movements but also I happened upon a happy accident.

But before we get into that there was something I didn't bother posting that happened earlier that day: I played her in unranked. And she was exclusively playing Kenny. If you don't know, in tournaments and Ranked Adelheid only plays S-kill. She even plays cross-handed (dunno why, to be in character I guess). So why in unranked was she playing Kenny? I believe she was attempting to speed train with all the characters. What better way (in theory) would there be to speed up the process of learning characters you don't main? And why would she even resort to training in unranked? She's proven that her playstyle is quite dominating. Except for those 42 loses. The moves, strategies, and general unpredictability of new and even old opponents probably won those matches. If you don't actually play those characters you'll never know what they're fully capable of... until they use them on you in high stakes Ranked matches.

During our unranked matches I noticed a general lack of understanding/ability to adjust to the stances she was assigned and capitalized on it. I think I was playing Dive or maybe Markman? We played 4-8 games (my memory is terrible, we probably played 5). The split was about 60/40 in my favor (or maybe hers. Again, terrible memory). She quit. I wanted to go a few more rounds with a well known player but hey can't have everything.

Surprise surprise. Later that day I run into her in Ranked, maining S-kill of course. Not really knowing a good counter I go on a hunch that Kung Pao's long horizontal kick would be good against S-kill's lack of aggressive kicks. I chose kick gem to give it just a little more speed, don't remember what she chose. The match starts and I play as I normally would. Hang back a bit. Just stand there for the hell of it, doesn't really matter considering S-kill has NO aggressive attacks beyond the air special. She may have tried to parry a kick I was supposed to do but again I just stand there. If she did get at an angle where she could kick me I jumped back. Kung has a great kickback which will easily clear S-kills angle and you can even punish after the whiff kick. I manage to take 1 or 2 rounds with good reads on her standard kicks. She also takes 1 or 2 but at the same time she's building up meter for the all powerful teleport headshot technique. I think she get's me once or twice with it, I had no clue what to do after all. But during one of her air special attempts I manage to escape with random jumps. What? It's possible to escape the headshot? Yes. Right before S-kill does the the final teleport just jump straight up. You will be going up and S-kill will teleport to you but because of the height you're getting and Kung's hitbox (I guess?) S-kill's mighty insta-headshot will whiff. I'm not sure what distance you need to be at or even how exactly S-kill's air special works but I've managed to replicate it in other matches. Moreover, in those other matches I discovered another powerful counter: You can kick him as well. Right when he teleports in just kick. I need to play more to verify how and when this happens but it's possible and completely turns around the only aggressive move S-kill has. Anyway I take the match against Adelheid 5-3(+- 1, don't remember).

So yeah. Tell me what you think about this strategy, poke holes in my theories, and be prepared for when you face Adelheid! S-kill may be at a disadvantage, but Adel didn't get to the top with luck. Her playstyle pretty much has to ride entirely on her ability to read and trick the opponent into presenting an opening. That in itself is quite amazing, but not unbeatable.

(And now I wait with anxiety the inevitable rematch where she frauds me.)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Trick has a fixed altitude and positions you for a headshot on a grounded opponent, but if they are in the air then too bad for you.

Ha! I just fought against CompSci88. The poor kid really wants that trophy. But on the bright side, it seems as though he has some sort of turbo button setup, so he isn't manually wasting all of that time.

Fought against that guy 4-5 times now. Took me until like the 3rd time i got matched against him to realize what was going on. :/ At first I thought he was just some dude being goofy.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
During our unranked matches I noticed a general lack of understanding/ability to adjust to the stances she was assigned and capitalized on it. I think I was playing Dive or maybe Markman? We played 4-8 games (my memory is terrible, we probably played 5). The split was about 60/40 in my favor (or maybe hers. Again, terrible memory). She quit. I wanted to go a few more rounds with a well known player but hey can't have everything.

Bolded is pretty much what I got out of this post. :/

Dahbomb

S Kill has been my most annoying match up in the game except Shoals as Jefailey. Shoals is already like 9-1, S Kill vs Jefailey feels pretty bad too. With other characters though I do much better against him. I am actually really surprised that 2 out of 3 of the top players on Steam are S Kill. I am still not sure where I would rate him.

My strategy against him has been to approach him to a spot where I can punish his dive kick on reaction. This forces him to use back teleport until he is cornered. I barely press anything up close except to bait out something. Once he's cornered he has limited options because he can't use his dive kick to escape its too slow and in the corner even his teleports are punishable. Dive/Kick are ideal for this, Kung Pao really good too and Redacted/Sensei not too bad. The biggest problem against good S Kill is that parry, he can cancel his ground teleport into it and can turn a bad situation into a potential head shot. This makes you approach him differently, I aim for his heels which is done best with Dive/Kick and Kung
Pao much less so with Sensei and Redacted.

The other problem with S Kill is that Trick of his (air special). Good players basically use that move for a free kill, IMO its one of the best specials in the game. This makes playing full screen defensive against him a bad option, you always want to be in his grill so he doesn't build safe meter. Once he has that ability though I start staying away and being hyper mobile. I don't know how exactly it homes in but you make it whiff. Most S Kill players like to do it after their 2nd teleport, which is easier to read but those who do it before ensure a kill normally. The cost on it is high so if he misses that's a big win for you.

S Kill is still a hard to read character and that makes him a good online killer. It takes a while to learn his patterns and mix ups. I had to play S Kill for a bit to understand his limitations.

superbank

S Kill has been my most annoying match up in the game except Shoals as Jefailey. Shoals is already like 9-1, S Kill vs Jefailey feels pretty bad too. With other characters though I do much better against him. I am actually really surprised that 2 out of 3 of the top players on Steam are S Kill. I am still not sure where I would rate him.

My strategy against him has been to approach him to a spot where I can punish his dive kick on reaction. This forces him to use back teleport until he is cornered. I barely press anything up close except to bait out something. Once he's cornered he has limited options because he can't use his dive kick to escape its too slow and in the corner even his teleports are punishable. Dive/Kick are ideal for this, Kung Pao really good too and Redacted/Sensei not too bad. The biggest problem against good S Kill is that parry, he can cancel his ground teleport into it and can turn a bad situation into a potential head shot. This makes you approach him differently, I aim for his heels which is done best with Dive/Kick and Kung
Pao much less so with Sensei and Redacted.

The other problem with S Kill is that Trick of his (air special). Good players basically use that move for a free kill, IMO its one of the best specials in the game. This makes playing full screen defensive against him a bad option, you always want to be in his grill so he doesn't build safe meter. Once he has that ability though I start staying away and being hyper mobile. I don't know how exactly it homes in but you make it whiff. Most S Kill players like to do it after their 2nd teleport, which is easier to read but those who do it before ensure a kill normally. The cost on it is high so if he misses that's a big win for you.

S Kill is still a hard to read character and that makes him a good online killer. It takes a while to learn his patterns and mix ups. I had to play S Kill for a bit to understand his limitations.
I didn't know about the teleport parry cancel. That is scary. A lot of times I catch players just as they teleport in or out on the ground. That's definitely gonna be a problem when people figure that out. How you described your playstyle is how I play now(except for the toe shots, too scared to try). Though with a bit more distance because I get caught if I'm too close. You have to pressure him so he can't even kick safely. I definitely need to play him more. Him and Kenny I've been ignoring.

vid

So, I finished playing through the game with every character, but no trophy popped. Is there any way to figure out what characters might not have registered as "beaten"?

Edit: And I just did the YOLO Gem in story mode one too, and nothing?! :(

superbank

I finally got up to 300 points and was maintaining it for a little while but now I'm back down to 150ish. Made some bad choices. Feels bad man. :(

There was this group of guys (something like (BBG) for their clan name) playing on one account. I kept running into to them and they tried convince me to go YOLO. I hovered over it to have some fun but picked kick gem. One of them says "You know, sometimes I wonder if we're broadcasting..." his friend says "No he was just doing that to build suspense" or something like that. Haha. Oh open mic.

Also played FluxwaveS (a gaffer) in ranked. I chose Dive first and he chose S-kill. 5-4 in his favor. Good game.

Clunker

Man, this game is addictive. I am normally pretty mediocre to bad at fighters, but picked this up on a whim and I'm really enjoying the online. Kind of wish more PS3 people had mics on so I could enjoy the voyeurism you PC guys can experience, though. :(

From a newcomer's perspective, as in a guy that isn't used to fighting games, couldn't go past the basic online rank of SFIV, and only leaned how to play Cammy a little bit: Divekick is hilariously fun. Even when I'm getting destroyed and frauded online, I'm still enjoying myself.

Edit: And just now, had the most amazing set of matches: My Shoals versus a Dive, I managed to Total Dominate the match and fraud him. Got 3 trophies. Then I matched up with the same guy, picked Dive to match his Dive, and then got frauded back in return. :D Love this game.

OnPoint

Had a party last night, and usually I put a game on the TV for people to fuck around with.

30 people taking turns on Dive Kick for like an hour last night. Every time someone won the group reacted like someone dropped the mic. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Amazing party game.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
So this guy I just played baited me with a Yolo gem. He was hovering over the Yolo gem for ages and I was thinking he was going to pick it and thought he was suggesting to me that if I picked it he would do the same. I picked the Yolo gem and the second I did it the guy changed to kick gem. This pissed me off. He was playing as Baz and I got a couple rounds before he beat me. This just left a sour taste in my mouth. That's just low. Tricking someone like that is just....ugh. I will never fall for this again. The dirty mind games have no bounds in this game.

vid

So this guy I just played baited me with a Yolo gem. He was hovering over the Yolo gem for ages and I was thinking he was going to pick it and thought he was suggesting to me that if I picked it he would do the same. I picked the Yolo gem and the second I did it the guy changed to kick gem. This pissed me off. He was playing as Baz and I got a couple rounds before he beat me. This just left a sour taste in my mouth. That's just low. Tricking someone like that is just....ugh. I will never fall for this again. The dirty mind games have no bounds in this game.

Yep, Jebailey himself has been doing this on stream, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djFfPjRN4oQ

It's unfortunate, because I've also hovered over the YOLO gem a few times, hoping someone would match it. I wonder how many people see that and are afraid I'm going to yank it away like Charlie Brown's football...

Dahbomb

This is the game we play.

Dive Kick is serious business. People counter pick with characters... hell they even counter pick with gems or play mind games at the select screen.

ArjanN

Heh, this happens in every game where the character select isn't blind.

I managed to play a few hilarious YOLO Kenny mirror matches doing that, so it's a bummer people are abusing goodwill to screw over opponents. Can't be helped I guess.

In other news, Zornack has sent me to losers in two seperate tournaments now.

FluxWaveZ

Wrapped up the Giant Bomb PSN tournament a short while ago. It was fun, but in order for the tournament to not end up in chaos with people not knowing what to do when, I had to disqualify way more people not adhering to the rules than I would have liked including the renowned EastGold.

Guess it's what happens when you have to organize an online tournament with 81 people that only lasts three days.

Top Bottom