• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divekick |OT| My sneakers are ready

Kalamari

So as some of you already know (if you read the Fighting Game Weekly thread, at least), I'm gonna be hosting an online GAF tournament for Divekick this weekend. One for PSN and one for Steam. You can feel free to enter both if you wish. Nothing is on the line except your pride.

If you want in, then quote this post (so I can see my own post highlighted as I scroll by) and mention if you're entering the PSN, Steam, or both tournaments. If you don't quote the post, then I don't enter you. Simple as that. I don't need your PSN/Steam usernames since I'm going to be using your GAF name in the brackets, but if you really want to include them, then you can.

I'm gonna make a separate thread for the tournament in the next few days just to keep things easier on myself. I'll explain more stuff there, like the rules and such.

PSN

ScOULaris

Can't wait to see some combo exhibition videos of this game.

All joking aside, I hope to see some character-matchup breakdown videos in the future. I'm talking about matchup-specific setups and such. Because the game is so simple from a mechanics standpoint, matchup strategies will be crucial here.

So as some of you already know (if you read the Fighting Game Weekly thread, at least), I'm gonna be hosting an online GAF tournament for Divekick this weekend. One for PSN and one for Steam. You can feel free to enter both if you wish. Nothing is on the line except your pride.

If you want in, then quote this post (so I can see my own post highlighted as I scroll by) and mention if you're entering the PSN, Steam, or both tournaments. If you don't quote the post, then I don't enter you. Simple as that. I don't need your PSN/Steam usernames since I'm going to be using your GAF name in the brackets, but if you really want to include them, then you can.

I'm gonna make a separate thread for the tournament in the next few days just to keep things easier on myself. I'll explain more stuff there, like the rules and such.

Steam me up.

Beckx

Entering both.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
The steam codes have/are going out if you won it during the giveaway. I got mine. Thank you Dave!

I wonder if I can put it in right now...

Also I want to say this because I feel like a freeloader. I was planning on redeeming the code for PSN and purchasing on steam but I found out the TV my PS3 is hooked up to is 60hz so it's only outputting 30 fps. Divekicking at 30 is not godlike. I'm pretty sure that's how it works, I tried some 60 fps games and it didn't look like 60. If I can convince some friends to jump in with me I may pick it up on PSN later.

JeTmAn81

Count me in on PSN.

JeTmAn81

Alright, let's do this! Pre-release (pre-playing the game!) tier list.

S-Tier

The Baz - because characters with lightning moves are always top tier
S-Kill - teleports also da bess

A-Tier

Stream - weirdo dive arc gets him wins
Mr. N - that pillow
Dr. Victoria Shoals - can't beat footdive

B-Tier

Dive - solid but unremarkable
Kick - unremarkable but solid
Redacted - Wolverine's divekick is always reliable
Kung Pao - the portal thing is cool
Uncle Sensei - he's just weird

C-Tier

Jefailey - his head's too big
Markman - lol, Phoenix Wright moves means Phoenix Wright tier
Kenny - the unpredictable nature of his rotating moveset will be a weakness

Velkyn

Still not sure if I should jump on it for PSN or Steam, leaning PSN because of the awesome Vita local MP, but I'll be pretty tempted if Steam is out first.

Game is fun.

Beat Skisonic.

Adelheid keeps bodying the shit out of me.

Trying to get your friend in a game on PC is currently not very reliable.

Enordash

S-Tier

A-Tier

Mr. N - that pillow

B-Tier

C-Tier

Thank you for this. I laughed more than I should have.

First impressions after 30 minutes of playing offline on steam.

Characters:

- Dive's specials (jump cancel/fast fall and a short hop forward) are somewhat hard to utilize for a beginner. I need to get a better feel for the game (knowing when I'm in danger and when not) before I can use his specials better to dodge and punish. His lines are all god tier though. 'Imma drop you like the leftmost zero' is pretty great.

- Kick is a lot easier to grasp. His specials seem easy to work into your gameplan (an extra fast kick and ability to stun enemies if they're on the ground) and his normal kick and kickback are great too. My recommended character for beginning players.

- Redacted's kick and kickback move her veeeeery little compared to the others I've played so far, so it's hard to move around. I also had trouble getting hear walljump off. Keits, do the dive or kick gems improve her kickback range?

General stuff:

- The game moves fast.

- Two-button menus work okay, but it's annoying you can't back out of the character select screens if you accidentally picked the wrong mode to play. Since the escape button is already used in gameplay as the pause button, it would be nice if we were able to use it in menus too to back out.

- The art looks better in motion than in screenshots, especially the characters. Background stages look nice, and the short comics at the start (and prossibly end, haven't gotten there yet) are really well done.

- God damn Steam cards. Already got S-Kill!

BiggNife

Eh, why not. Steam.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
This is everything I'd hoped it would be, and I've never been a big fighting game player. Loving Baz and Shoals at the moment but I've a lot to learn still

Anyone on steam wants to play just drop me an invite:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/cindres

I can't for the life in me figure out S-Kill's teleporting though, real weird.

Steam.

Also check out this fanart by zalwelgoedgaan on the playstation forums:

ichmSCqAisEx3.png

It's for the fanart contest where you can win a free PSN code. Still open for submissions if you want to try for a free code. http://community.us.playstation.com...Contest-Win-a-game-download-code/m-p/41075041

On that note I'm still waiting for a Steam code that I won during the EVO stream. There's probably nothing wrong, I'm assuming codes are generated when the game goes up for sale. Turbo pls.

ResidentSleeperkick

Dante316

Psn for me, hopefully can buy it today.

Kuusoge

I'm still undecided on what platform to get divekick on. I don't have a vita so crossbuy isn't an incentive for me. Any idea on which version has the most active online community so far?

laaame

Are you guys finding people online for psn? I've only gotten one match in and after that I've been waiting for the last 10 minutes.

At least the online lobby music is nice. Actually, all of the music in Divekick is pretty good.

Zornack

Are you guys finding people online for psn? I've only gotten one match in and after that I've been waiting for the last 10 minutes.

At least the online lobby music is nice. Actually, all of the music in Divekick is pretty good.

I'm chaining matches atm no problem. West coast of USA if that makes any difference. PC, too.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
So fun! It's exactly how I thought it would be from watching tons of streams and videos. There are NO issues with doing specials, it's not complex. Sure, it is technically more complex than just the two buttons but that doesn't mean it's actually complex. It's just one more simple thing you need to factor in.

Story mode has animatics in a nice hand drawn style for the intro/ending and text dialog between opponents sometimes (tap both buttons to skip to the next line). I like it. Online is where you'll have the most fun. Reading and being read, trying to come up with new strategies. No one is counter picking so far in unranked, just letting it ride, trying to figure out the characters/matchup or keep their streak going/trying to best you.

I did have one really laggy game, it was difficult to deal with but the vast majority of games had no lag. I wonder if it was because I was the host most of the time? From what I can tell you are the host if you start on the left side. Correct me if I'm wrong. There was an issue with one of the laggy games where the menu didn't work properly. Either I just had to accept the rematch or if I got lucky my single button press would register and I could change character/quit.

Also I seem to have the most trouble against Jefailey online. I must be terrible. :lol I have an even win/loss ratio (unranked mode). Steam version.

Great game Keits, Dave, and the rest of Iron Galaxy! This is the first fighting game I've been willing to learn since SSB. Divekick is strategy and timing, no complications.

Veggy

Picked it up on steam because PSN was taking too long to put it on the store, I'll pick up that version eventually

Having tons of fun, had a lot of matches both offline and online. GGPO netcode is great

Dahbomb

S-Tier

A-Tier

Mr. N - that pillow

B-Tier

C-Tier

Thank god I am not the only who thinks Baz's Lightning is bull shit. As if we needed another fighting game with bull shit Lightning cross ups leading into character deaths. :p

Jefailey is hella fun though.

My Tier list:

Top Tier:

Dive
Kick
Redacted
Kung Pao
Shoals
Sensei

Random Tier:

Kenny
Markman