• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Dragon Commander |OT| The political RTS/TBS/RPG/Action game

Green Yoshi

Not complex enough eh? I'd say exactly the opposite :p

If anything, it was almost too complex at times.

It is a genre mix and he compares it to other strategy games that focus on one element. The sum of its parts may be complex but if you only look at the RTS fights or the global map it isn't as complex as other games like Civ 5 or Total War. Which is not bad for me, I didn't play many strategy games in the last ten years.

Dawg

It is a genre mix and he compares it to other strategy games that focus on one element. The sum of its parts may be complex but if you only look at the RTS fights or the global map it isn't as complex as other games like Civ 5 or Total War. Which is not bad for me, I didn't play many strategy games in the last ten years.

But should you compare one part of DC to a different game that only focusses on that one element? I like to view everything in DC as one game since the political choices and upgrades/research directly affects the RTS gameplay. It can get really complex if you make use of everything, especially on higher difficulties.

Also, Total War and Civ don't have a playable dragon that roams the battlefield! :p

Discobird

Got a key from my Divinity: Original Sin pledge but I totally forgot this was coming out until they sent an update today. Hadn't been following it closely so the material in the OP was pretty impressive to me. Will definitely give it a shot.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Got a key from my Divinity: Original Sin pledge but I totally forgot this was coming out until they sent an update today. Hadn't been following it closely so the material in the OP was pretty impressive to me. Will definitely give it a shot.

How did you get a key for your pledge? What was the pledge amount?

Also im really tempted to get this....launch trailer is awesome.

Decided to wait on the game for now, just don't have the time to play it with summer course exam coming up and many games bought recently. Will grab it within a few weeks as originally planned.

SparkTR

Hey, just logged into Steam and saw this at the top of the charts, nice to see it getting some love even before the big reviews hit. Is this getting a retail release at all? And if so, in what region?

Alastor

This thread inspired me to go back and finally finish Divinity 2. It's been on my backlog for a while. I also have a sudden urge to go back to the first Divine Divinity...

If I heard correctly, the SP campaign isn't long and this is primarily multiplayer-focused game. It's not really for me, I think, but I'm definitely getting Original Sin.

Hey, just logged into Steam and saw this at the top of the charts, nice to see it getting some love even before the big reviews hit. Is this getting a retail release at all? And if so, in what region?

There will be one in Poland, it's out in three days. I suppose it's similar for other countries in Europe.

Durante

If I heard correctly, the SP campaign isn't long and this is primarily multiplayer-focused game.
At least according to reviews, you do remember wrong.

You can order a physical version from Larian Vault, it will be ready in 2 weeks. I don't know about broader physical distribution.

Lingitiz

Weird. Here's a translation from a polish review you can find here: "The whole single-player campaign is just three missions long and can be completed in one afternoon".

Who's wrong? I'd really want it to be longer.

It's 3 acts, which can last however long it takes you to eliminate the opponent's capital. Think of it as 3 separate games of Civ or Total War, although obviously they don't take anywhere near that amount of time. I took about 12 hours, although by the end I was completely maxed out and dominating every fight. Your units and buildings do not carry over from act to act, only your money and research points.

I honestly don't know how you could beat this in one afternoon, especially with the initial learning curve. I actually restarted my campaign because I started so poorly my first time.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Weird. Here's a translation from a polish review you can find here: "The whole single-player campaign is just three missions long and can be completed in one afternoon".

Who's wrong? I'd really want it to be longer.

"Missions?". It takes place on an overworld that you're trying to conquer, what "missions" could that polish mag even be talking about?

Durante

"Missions?". It takes place on an overworld that you're trying to conquer, what "missions" could that polish mag even be talking about?
Well, reading Lingitiz post, they are probably talking about the acts.

Clearly, those Poles are much better (or at least quicker) at the game than the Germans.

Phinor

I'm so lost. I tried the beta a few times and got the crap beat out of me every time by the AI. I just started the campaign and got into my first fight and again, I had exactly zero chances. I brought my whole army into the fight, used couple of cards. During the battle I controlled 75% of the map most of the time. My enemy had around 70-30% army advantage the whole match although I pretty much had as large an army as I could. Finally the AI stopped playing with me and just crushed everything I had. This is hard, damn :) And I actually play RTS games if not daily, then every week.

And one random note but the music is fantastic in this game.

Number 1.

Larian's twitter said:
Dragon Commander just hit nr 1 on the Steam sales charts! For a small indy studio like us, that's quite special.

BQ-BvPoCcAAU3qN.png

Moff

I never really, really liked the Divinity games, but I love how they take their RPG franchise and make an rts with it, this just takes enormous balls.
I'll probably buy this on a steam sale, or maybe even earlier given the lack of releases in the next weeks.

Lingitiz

Congrats to the team, hopefully it stays successful. I should probably do a custom campaign playthrough on one of those ridiculous looking 4 player maps sometime soon.

danthefan

I said about four times in this thread that I wasn't going to buy the game but I just caved. I couldn't not buy it. It looks amazing and the devs deserve the support.

Durante

Reviews anywhere? I feel obligated to get this game anyway because of dragons, but I'm curious.
Not many yet.

Hardcore Gamer
GamesRadar

Also one German print review I summarized earlier:
I just read the GameStar Germany review (81%). Their main criticism is that the RTS gameplay can be repetitive, but they reviewed an early beta and that's the part which changed most over the past month.

The major positive points they mention are
  • good controls in all gameplay modes
  • a long campaign with lots of replayability as well as choices and consequences (!)
  • a large variety of research and upgrade options
  • interesting characters on your ship

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's nice that the Steam version is DRM-free. In fact, this is only the third Steamworks game I'm aware of that is so (the other two being Scribblenauts Unlimited and Super Meat Boy -- Skyrim would kindasorta count if Bethesda didn't patch the main executable).

garath

So the main story has the 3 acts but I think the trailer said something about just a straight procedure generated map game that would give the single player quite a bit of replayability.

Durante

Oh, that one is really positive.

I can almost certainly say that you will never get bored of this if you’re a fan of strategy. Even as a strategy at core this as a lot to offer both to newcomers and long-term fans of the genre. From the great take on politics to the character development of your generals and wife. The turn based strategy of the map, with the use of cards, to the real time strategy of the battles. Everything has combined to make an exquisite package and I unashamedly say that I’m now a fan.

What makes this possibly the most important game I’ve seen or played this year is pure ambition. A twist from a RPG franchise, already a risk on it’s own, it has almost three separate games in one and does them all on a grand scale while offering great detail, visuals, writing and sound throughout. All of this was made on the budget of a single, modest sized, studio with no outside investment.

Durante

It's nice that the Steam version is DRM-free. In fact, this is only the third Steamworks game I'm aware of that is so (the other two being Scribblenauts Unlimited and Super Meat Boy -- Skyrim would kindasorta count if Bethesda didn't patch the main executable).
Yeah, not only that, but every version of the game is DRM free and includes a full set of optional Steamworks features.

This is exactly how stuff should be done on PC.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah, not only that, but every version of the game is DRM free and includes a full set of optional Steamworks features.

This is exactly how stuff should be done on PC.

It'd be nice if CDPR patched out CEG from the Steam versions of the Witcher games, but I suppose there's a conflict of interest there with GOG.

Phinor

My first campaign sure didn't last long. One faction took over the whole map in three turns. That manual.pdf sure is looking attractive right about now.

Durante

My first campaign sure didn't last long. One faction took over the whole map in three turns. That manual.pdf sure is looking attractive right about now.
I didn't have too much trouble so far, but the first RTS battle was more challenging than I'd expect. I guess "normal" difficulty really means "normal" in this game.

Durante

I have to say, after 1.5 hours or so, I absolutely LOVE the characters and dialogue on the ship. Particularly Edmund.

Oh, and the voice acting is really good. Fantastic even for some characters (like Edmund).

I'll have more gameplay-related comments in a few hours :p

Top Bottom