• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Dragon Commander |OT| The political RTS/TBS/RPG/Action game

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Like I said earlier, Larian has some great writers. A lot better than most of the "AAA" teams. Underrated.

Wortany

In the second half of the second act, I've only done auto-resolves and entirely focused on the strategy-map. :(
Even though I like the RTS battles.

But when I'm going further in the campaign with all these extra abilities piling up. I feel like I'll be losing more units when going into battle myself.
It's nice that they provide you at least with the ability to avoid your weakpoints but at the same time, by avoiding the RTS battles, I certainly will not improve at battling it out myself.

It feels kind of a win-lose situation.

Zukuu

Banned
In the second half of the second act, I've only done auto-resolves and entirely focused on the strategy-map. :(
Even though I like the RTS battles.

But when I'm going further in the campaign with all these extra abilities piling up. I feel like I'll be losing more units when going into battle myself.
It's nice that they provide you at least with the ability to avoid your weakpoints but at the same time, by avoiding the RTS battles, I certainly will not improve at battling it out myself.

It feels kind of a win-lose situation.

I feel you.
60% auto battle win chance results in a 100% defeat of my units when I play it myself (even tho I may still win in the end, all my "starting units" are gone). Auto battle is often the better choice.
The beginning of a manual battle just feels awkward. The stupid waiting time for the dragon as well.

Durante

I feel you.
60% auto battle win chance results in a 100% defeat of my units when I play it myself (even tho I may still win in the end, all my "starting units" are gone).
I could swear that, as long as you have any units of the type you started the battle with, it doesn't matter if the initial ones died. At least that's what it always seemed like to me -- I even thought "hey that's a good design decision!". But maybe I was hallucinating?

Zukuu

Banned
I could swear that, as long as you have any units of the type you started the battle with, it doesn't matter if the initial ones died. At least that's what it always seemed like to me -- I even thought "hey that's a good design decision!". But maybe I was hallucinating?

Could be the case. In a recent battle I seemed to have more than 8 "troops" tho, and in the final page it showed "starting 8 casualties -1" or something. Maybe I had less and it might be true after all. Indeed a good decision if true.

Which did you guys all marry?

I started with the Lizard, but she is too cold (although I think that might change?), so I picked the obvious choice: the Elf (and I bet she turns out to be a real bitch eh?)

One thing I HATE is that you can't choose which battle you want to fight first. That's so stupid.

Keasar

"5% chance to win" they said, I am a motherfucking dragon! I piss fire on thee overwhelming forces.

Finally got my game to work, they released a temporary fix where I had to erase all "." characters in the install location so it became like D:\Games\GOG\Dragon Commander. Ah the mysteries of modern game development. :p

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Ughh I couldn't get it on release day. Might be a good thing though since all I play is DOTA2 now :(

Durante

"5% chance to win" they said, I am a motherfucking dragon! I piss fire on thee overwhelming forces.

Finally got my game to work, they released a temporary fix where I had to erase all "." characters in the install location so it became like D:\Games\GOG\Dragon Commander. Ah the mysteries of modern game development. :p
Great that it works for you now, and yeah, that sounds like just the kind of bug that somehow happens even after vigorous testing.

Perkel

Banned
I swear to god I almost never want to listen to anything the elf has to say.

The lizard chick seriously has got to be the most sane one out of the bunch.

Lizard all the way !

I am now currently running country that:

- Is republic ( i abdicated) and dwarf won election
- Violent games are banned
- Stopped bank house mortgage scam
- LGBT community is free from prosecution

And i have Lizard as Wife Supreme Republic Judge

Fuck Elves.

iavi

Somebody please tell me the whole game consists of music like what was in the Launch trailer. Cause, my goodness.

Durante

shot to the top of my wishlist. It's like a Total War game, but with a bit more of a narratological focus to it, AND awesome music.

Bought at payday.
You can listen to this while waiting. (The guy on the left is the composer, the guy on the right is the founder of Larian.

Corto

Since the last patch I'm not able to downsample the game. The downsampled resolution doesn't appear on the pull down menu anymore. Weird. Just reached chapter 2, this is starting to get really fun with all the units upgrades and abilities.

Keasar

Also, agree with most others here, Edmund is boss.

Two minor complaints, one a detail really, I wish they could have picked a better font and style on the Rivellon Times paper. Feels like it is written in Microsoft Word. The other is that I wish the units in the RTS battles could have had differing art styles so it would be easier to differentiate them other than just color, and that it would have a much better feel of fighting other nations.

Played a few more hours last night and its official, I absolutely love this game. I'm not a big RTS guy but the whole thing just works imo. The dialogue is fantastic and I'm surprised how often I've had to stop and ponder when making political decisions when presented by the various factions. A few random thoughts / questions.

1. The campaign maps and political decisions are fixed correct? If so it would be cool if they introduced a scramble / random mode that generated random campaign maps and varied the order of requests from the faction leaders to increase replayability.
2. Edmund is indeed a boss.
3. Early decision spoiler
I never technically voted on gay marriage. The dwarf and elf reps met me on the bridge to discuss it, then I went to the bar and talked to Scarlet who asked me to vote on passing it. I told her I would and that was it. Didn't have the throne room scene where the reps make their case nor do I have the thumbs up / down symbol when I look at the Empire screen. After the next turn I get the newspaper headline that it was passed and everyone responded in kind. Bug or is that how its supposed to happen?
4. Is the writing in Divinity II as good as this? I've had it in my backlog in a while and if so its going to shoot up to the top of the queue.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Hey Durante, since am guessing you are the one furthest in the game out of us all, would you say the RTS portion becomes more strategy intensive as the later units wade into the fray and such?

This is more to help convince others to get the game, that have been seemingly decided to write it off as the RTS portion looks "simple" to them.

Durante

Hey Durante, since am guessing you are the one furthest in the game out of us all, would you say the RTS portion becomes more strategy intensive as the later units wade into the fray and such?

This is more to help convince others to get the game, that have been seemingly decided to write it off as the RTS portion looks "simple" to them.
I'm actually not that far, still in Act 2. Why? Because the RTS portion (and even the general Strategy portion) gets at least complex enough that I had a hard time and a few false starts/lostbattles that I needed to retry :p

But joking aside, I think when you have acess to more of the units and the mas get larger and more complex (especially with large bodies of water, or worst of all island maps) it gets plenty complex, at least for my puny strategic brain.

Durante

Played a few more hours last night and its official and I'm about to close out Act I, I absolutely love this game. I'm not a big RTS guy but the whole thing just works imo. The dialogue is fantastic and I'm surprised how often I've had to stop and ponder when making political decisions when presented by the various factions. A few random thoughts / questions.

1. The campaign maps and political decisions are fixed correct? If so it would be cool if they introduced a scramble / random mode that generated random campaign maps and varied the order of requests from the faction leaders to increase replayability.
Larian also thought this would be cool, that's why they built it into the game! (Single Player -> Custom Campaign)
2. Edmund is indeed a boss.
Indeed.
3. Early decision spoiler
I never technically voted on gay marriage. The dwarf and elf reps met me on the bridge to discuss it, then I went to the bar and talked to Scarlet who asked me to vote on passing it. I told her I would and that was it. Didn't have the throne room scene where the reps make their case nor do I have the thumbs up / down symbol when I look at the Empire screen. After the next turn I get the newspaper headline that it was passed and everyone responded in kind. Bug or is that how its supposed to happen?
No idea if its a bug or a feature, but this also happened to me.
4. Is the writing in Divinity II as good as this? I've had it in my backlog in a while and if so its going to shoot up to the top of the queue.
I think it's as good, however, it doesn't have quite the same material to work with as Dragon Commander to be as hilarious. But it still has fantastic high points, like a skill that allows you to read the mind of all the NPCs (which can result in great entertainment).

Larian also thought this would be cool, that's why they built it into the game! (Single Player -> Custom Campaign)

I think it's as good, however, it doesn't have quite the same material to work with as Dragon Commander to be as hilarious. But it still has fantastic high points, like a skill that allows you to read the mind of all the NPCs (which can result in great entertainment).

I'll make sure to mess around with the customer campaign when I have a chance, sounds great.

Definitely plan on jumping into Dvinity II sooner as well, just been super impressed with the game so far. Dragon Commander definitely deserves more love imo.

FGMPR

Banned
I really want this. I also have so little time to play games at the moment.

Is the SP campaign generally pretty lengthy? I understand difficulty cranks up the time and all but should I be expecting more Total War short or long campaign or Starcraft II campaign length?

I really want this. I also have so little time to play games at the moment.

Is the SP campaign generally pretty lengthy? I understand difficulty cranks up the time and all but should I be expecting more Total War short or long campaign or Starcraft II campaign length?

Most reviews put finishing the campaign around 12 hrs or so. I suspect 10 - 15 hrs will be the norm depending on difficulty and play style.

FGMPR

Banned
Most reviews put finishing the campaign around 12 hrs or so. I suspect 10 - 15 hrs will be the norm depending on difficulty and play style.

I was kind of hoping someone would convince me not to buy it; 12 hours sounds perfect, though. Off to Steam it is.

Thanks. I think.

Zukuu

Banned
Shamans are seriously broken. Like seriously. Only unit you need to micro in a battle to be successful.

danthefan

It's taken me 6 hours to get out of chapter 1 so I doubt I'll be 12 hours anyway.

How are people approaching chapter 2? Fast expansion or try and consolidate a smaller number of territories? Tried to expand as fast as possible there but just couldn't keep hold of anything, was spread way too thin.

Zukuu

Banned
It's taken me 6 hours to get out of chapter 1 so I doubt I'll be 12 hours anyway.

How are people approaching chapter 2? Fast expansion or try and consolidate a smaller number of territories? Tried to expand as fast as possible there but just couldn't keep hold of anything, was spread way too thin.

I rushed through the left continent, top and bottom and took a few contries there. Afterwards I used the transporter to get the top islands. and the lower transporter to get the island when no enemy ships were around.

Also used cards to get a eco boost and sabotaged here and there to prevent them taking a neutral country before I do.

Be sure to buy units on your MAIN island tho, as the enemy will invade sooner or later with a big force. Then I proceed to take the upper continent and a few of the lowers (to the next capital in both directions). Enforced defense in the lower continent to fend green off and overtook yellow on the top, then combined both armies and will tackled green now. Red last as he isn't much of a threat if you have enough units on your main island.

Parakeetman

Jesus just made it to chapter II after restarting the game and blitzing my way through the first map.

Though I think I screwed myself over by not having puttered around a little more and unlocked more stuff in my tech trees. Not having the naval attack unit unlocked seems to be a big mistake... lol

This should be interesting when I get started on my way. Wish me luck for I have a feeling my kingdom is going to be burning within a few turns when I go and fuck this all up :D

Really? since I went and plowed through the first chapter in little under 2 hours. Granted since it was my restart so I skipped the conversations, everything else went pretty fast once you got all the mechanics down from ones initial test run.

Watches expecting to like the skeleton and lizard best

Is not disappointed

I wonder why there was no Imp waifu? I imagine that would have been quite hilarious writing if they did have one.

Wortany

Hmm, I haven't used my generals much but I notice now that I am only able to use 1 general each turn. All the other battles only give me the options of Imperial Army or Dragon after using only 1 general.

Shouldn't you be able to use all your generals spread out over different battles?

Also for clarification: all my generals are aboard the Raven, nobody is away on a storyline mission.

Dawg

Well, my review finally made it live. If anyone is still interested... :p

http://translate.google.be/translat...c.4gamers.be/reviews/28636/1/Dragon-Commander

Dragon Commander is in a sense a first for the Belgian Larian Studios. It launches a mishmash of genres, without external support, a solid bet. It was no longer bound by the deadlines of higher ups and that is reflected in Dragon Commander. No technical wreck as in previous games was sometimes, but a solid game that looks quite impressive, both in terms of gameplay as from a technical standpoint. Only the steep learning curve associated with the combination of all these different genres, may be an eyesore for new players.

85/100

Google translate is a little off, but it's the best I could do for non-Dutch gaffers :p

Durante

Really? since I went and plowed through the first chapter in little under 2 hours. Granted since it was my restart so I skipped the conversations, everything else went pretty fast once you got all the mechanics down from ones initial test run.
I think this might be one game where the range of possible play times for the campaign is particularly wide. Since there's no fixed progression, factors like whether or not you auto-resolve battles or how quickly you expand can make a massive difference. Also, I always talk to all the characters each turn, which also takes some time.

Parakeetman

I think this might be one game where the range of possible play times for the campaign is particularly wide. Since there's no fixed progression, factors like whether or not you auto-resolve battles or how quickly you expand can make a massive difference. Also, I always talk to all the characters each turn, which also takes some time.

Yeah Im sure all the extra talking and what not like with my initial game adds at more time to the clock, but for the 2nd really went through it fast. I kinda wonder if there was anything I missed by having blasted my way through that map so fast. Besides more upgrades, which now I know can happen. With that in mind makes me want to start over a third time and milk the research a bit more.

The imp councilor explains it at the turn of choosing why there isn't one.

There is one or what is left from her...

Haha this should be interesting since am getting near the waifu choice part.

Durante

Obviously Edmund was the first NPC I asked about his feelings concerning my choice of wife. He didn't disappoint:
dcapp_2013_08_08_15_1vakxk.jpg

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Obviously Edmund was the first NPC I asked about his feelings concerning my choice of wife. He didn't disappoint:

I don't know if you're save scumming, but if you are, could you do me a favor? Edmund is quite the snide racist, but if you choose the lizard princess, does he at least keep his bite? I would be disappointed if Edmund suddenly became nice.

Zukuu

Banned
You get way too much research on the 2nd map. I learned everything the game has available prior to getting into the 3rd map. I'm around turn 35 or so.

Shamans are seriously the best units in the game. They're outright broken and make you win any 0% battle. Shield is great, the stun is decent but the charming is outright ridiculous.
I finish most battles just with mass Shamans + Grenadiers and occasionally something big like Devastators or Ballons. Hunters work very good as well (since they can tank better). A few troopers for quick overtake obviously as well.

Only units you need to micro in dragon form. Rest can do whatever they want.

Parakeetman

You get way too much research on the 2nd map. I learned everything the game has available prior to getting into the 3rd map. I'm around turn 35 or so.

Shamans are seriously the best units in the game. They're outright broken and make you win any 0% battle. Shield is great, the stun is decent but the charming is outright ridiculous.
I finish most battles just with mass Shamans + Grenadiers and occasionally something big like Devastators or Ballons. Hunters work very good as well (since they can tank better). A few troopers for quick overtake obviously as well.

Only units you need to micro in dragon form. Rest can do whatever they want.

zeppelins are great. That little range boost + the binocs upgrade for the grenadiers seem to be a big plus against the enemy when they arent fielding any zeppelins of their own.

What's the negative impact if a factions percentage drops down to zero? The undead are sitting at 25% in my game right now and I'm curious as to what kind of leeway I have.

Act II spoilers

Similarly what are the negative results of making a deal with Corvus? The VM is so good I kind of want to throw him a bone and let him feast on my dreams or whatever but I'm sure its not worth it.

Durante

zeppelins are great. That little range boost + the binocs upgrade for the grenadiers seem to be a big plus against the enemy when they arent fielding any zeppelins of their own.
Yeah, I try to never pick a fight without a zeppelin.

When I try to go for Shamans the AI usually counters them hard though.

Zukuu

Banned
Yeah, I try to never pick a fight without a zeppelin.

When I try to go for Shamans the AI usually counters them hard though.

You aren't building enough. :D

What's the negative impact if a factions percentage drops down to zero? The undead are sitting at 25% in my game right now and I'm curious as to what kind of leeway I have.

Act II spoilers

Similarly what are the negative results of making a deal with Corvus? The VM is so good I kind of want to throw him a bone and let him feast on my dreams or whatever but I'm sure its not worth it.
I haven't found much of a negative consequence. You recieve a population loss and get some cards for it. Otherwise, you obviously sacrifice your wife. The option to boost a faction is quite good and I did that 4 times or so to have every nation above 50%. The negative impact is rather small (5% Population loss of a certain race, you aren't boosting. E.G. Draves get +20 reputation, but you lose 5% of all Elf population. Hardly matters imo).
Intro of Part 3 spoiler
However, you also "make Corvus" stronger each time, by 5(rep boost)-100% (sac wife). I don't know if that matters, but in part 3 he'll turn against you and will help your enemies instead of you. Maybe you'll fight against him later, or he boosts the opposition equally to his power.

Top Bottom