• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Dragon Commander |OT| The political RTS/TBS/RPG/Action game

Corto

Just starting to play. The game looks lovely downsampled and runs pretty well so far, fingers cross it keeps that way in more frantic battles. Just two quick questions. In "RTS mode" there's no camera control through keyboard (WASD or directional keys), right? And in "Dragon mode" when quick selecting units with F2, F3, F4 keys the units affected don't seem to be highlighted. Is that right or maybe a bug on my end?

Durante

You can absolutely move the map with WASD in RTS mode. That's what I do all the time.

I don't know about commanding units in Dragon mode, I'm not well coordinated enough to have tried that yet :p
I just switch back and forth.

Corto

Weird. Maybe it was the tutorial that bugged out for me then. WASD didn't do anything for me there. Need to jump back in to do a "real" battle hehe

Durante

Weird. Maybe it was the tutorial that bugged out for me then. WASD didn't do anything for me there. Need to jump back in to do a "real" battle hehe
I just checked, and while you can remap the camera movement in the menu, but the default is indeed WASD.

Wortany

This game.......the music is so good, that was not something I expected at first.
I'm just going to let the game idle just to be able to listen more to the music while doing other stuff.

Although shouldn't everyone who pre-ordered, have gotten the soundtrack as well from the Imperial Edition upgrade?
Because I can not really find it anywhere.

Corto

This game.......the music is so good, that was not something I expected at first.
I'm just going to let the game idle just to be able to listen more to the music while doing other stuff.

Although shouldn't everyone who pre-ordered, have gotten the soundtrack as well from the Imperial Edition upgrade?

Didn't search for mine. But usually those are in a folder in the game's directory in steamapps>common folder.

danthefan

I think the home key resets the camera view in the RTS battles.

How are people handling the political decisions? I'm just trying to keep everyone in or around 50% really. If one race gets pissed off at you your max resources are diminished when fighting on their territory which is not helpful.

Speaking of the RTS battles, I seem to win a lot of them without actually attack the enemy base or anything like that. By the time I build up a nice big army the enemy just seems to fold. I'm playing on normal.

Terra_Ex

According to a dev post on the steam community thingy some people got the imperial edition stuff, others did not and Larian is apparently looking into it.

Durante

They are currently working out some issues with some people not getting the imperial edition upgrade. I'm also affected, and I really wanted the Kirilltastic OST. I'm pretty confident this will get sorted out soon though.

Wortany

I see, guess I'll have to let the game running a bit longer then. :)

How are people handling the political decisions? I'm just trying to keep everyone in or around 50% really. If one race gets pissed off at you your max resources are diminished when fighting on their territory which is not helpful.

I'm mostly just going by my own views of what should pass or what not, but if you want to get the best benefits, always join the majority. As every decision gives or detracts 5% of their favor.
So going by the majority should in the long run prove beneficial for all races' favor.
Unless some races constantly vote in the minority decision. Don't know if that is happening or not.

I do seem to disagree a lot with those god-smitten undead though.

Luckily they hardly have a presence on the second act map. So they can just oppose me as much as they want, I won't give a rats ass.

Durante

I'm mostly just going by my own views of what should pass or what not, but if you want to get the best benefits, always join the majority. As every decision gives or detracts 5% of their favor.
So going by the majority should in the long run prove beneficial for all races' favor.
It's actually not as simple as that. Some (most?) decisions impact more than just favour!

I loved Divinity 2 when it first came out and have a big old place in my heart for Larian.

Kickstarted Original Sin - that's gonna be awesome, but wasn't sure about Dragon Commander. I like RTS's, but I'm really bad at them. So I was gonna hold fire on it, but I just couldn't help myself and wanted to throw money at Larian. So it's making its long dwindling journey down my rather rubbish internet connection. I might get to play it tomorrow night!

Seems like this is fairly uncomplicated, though - and could be right up my street!

Lingitiz

I see, guess I'll have to let the game running a bit longer then. :)

Unless some races constantly vote in the minority decision. Don't know if that is happening or not.

I do seem to disagree a lot with those god-smitten undead though.

Luckily they hardly have a presence on the second act map. So they can just oppose me as much as they want, I won't give a rats ass.
I found myself disagreeing with the Undead a lot as well. I wish the structure of the game could've given me more reason to be forced to agree with their proposals.

Wortany

It's actually not as simple as that. Some (most?) decisions impact more than just favour!

Oh right, completely forgot about the other side-effects.

Okay, nobody take advice from my previous post. I did not think that through. :p (except for the follow your own instincts part)

You can absolutely move the map with WASD in RTS mode. That's what I do all the time.

I don't know about commanding units in Dragon mode, I'm not well coordinated enough to have tried that yet :p
I just switch back and forth.

To command units in dragon mode just move the reticule near the units and press F3. Then to move them move the reticule where you want em to go and press Q. It's a little wonky but works fine. The movement command is automatically Attack-Move so you they won't walk into enemy and not fire.

Ty for the Home key info!

As a gamer big on story, characters, plot, and so forth I'm happy with the plot in in this so far and it's nice to see a Civ-type game like this have a story. The setup is pretty simple but it's well-done.

The emperor of this world, their king, has an affair with the most beautiful woman ever. There was a mysterious guy known only as the Architect who was jonesing for a piece of that pie but the King won her over. The Architect got mad and killed her, unbeknownst to the king. The king goes into a deep depression and becomes weak. His kingdom proceeds to become weak too until he is killed. His children and their various armies and countries vow for the throne and a big war starts.

The beautiful woman the king inseminated turns out to be a dragon who was wearing a disguise. Their bastard is half-dragon half-human, seems he can transform between the two. You are that bastard. Through the help of a wizard who was a friend of the king's you are given a ship and are tasked to win the throne over the other children and learn more about that nooblord of an Architect who wacked your mom. The fact that I remembered it this well is a good sign at least. Fyi this is just the intro, no real spoilers.

Feel free to add this incredible summary to the OP, durante.

Pros:
- Unique setting
- Interesting character interactions

Cons:
- Generic RTS gameplay
- Lack of strategic depth

Ehh, the pros far out-weigh the cons for me. It's nice to play an SRPG game like this with an actual narrative with good characters. I don't mind if it isn't super deep, actually I prefer that so I can enjoy the story without frustration. 6/10 is a little harsh.

Durante

One thing I have to mention after playing some more is how good the RTS AI is. It actually seems to constantly evaluate different attack paths and unit compositions, and try to attack along undefended paths and with units that are good against the defending ones. But it also splits its forces for some purposes, when it is advantageous to do so. Pretty impressive.

Hey, it's the "Dragon Age 2 5/5, Witcher 2 3.5/5" Escapist.

danthefan

Meh, not bothered by one average review. I'm enjoying it, seems like most people in this thread are too, that's good enough for me.

Question as I'm in work, if someone attacks one of my territories can I bring in extra units to help in the battle or am I just stuck with the units present when the attack comes?

This thread has got me pretty interested in the game. I just don't know if there's room for both this and EU4 in my life this month. I think I might wait a bit on this one.

Anyone have any beginning tips as to unit research / dragon powers / buildings to construct?

Got stomped by the AI my first go around as I figured out all the various systems (forgot to build units during the map phase... :/ ) and looking for revenge.

Also any useful hotkeys / commands I should be using? I was just going with a giant bioball of units during the RTS phase and I want to increase my finesse a little bit.

Durante

Anyone have any beginning tips as to unit research / dragon powers / buildings to construct?
IMHO Zeppelins are pretty amazing. They have an AoE range increase for all units, which makes your army much more effective, particularly early game when the units are basically made from paper in terms of HP.

Also any useful hotkeys / commands I should be using? I was just going with a giant bioball of units during the RTS phase and I want to increase my finesse a little bit.
Well, there are the standard RTS groups (ctrl+1-0 to set, 1-0 to select), and you should at least have your support units in a separate group from your attack units.

Also, really basic, but use attack move! (Q by default)

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
IMHO Zeppelins are pretty amazing. They have an AoE range increase for all units, which makes your army much more effective, particularly early game when the units are basically made from paper in terms of HP.

Well, there are the standard RTS groups (ctrl+1-0 to set, 1-0 to select), and you should at least have your support units in a separate group from your attack units.

Also, really basic, but use attack move! (Q by default)

haha will agree with the made from paper part most def. I turn away from another battle going on for a few seconds come back and its "wheres my units?".

Unless your guys are balanced out correctly to deal with what they will be up against, consider a lot of resources wasted. Which is why also I think people get the wrong impression that the game seems to simplistic. I like how the unit building works too as its limited resources so its not like you can go zerg your way to victory all the time.

Wortany

Meh, not bothered by one average review. I'm enjoying it, seems like most people in this thread are too, that's good enough for me.

Question as I'm in work, if someone attacks one of my territories can I bring in extra units to help in the battle or am I just stuck with the units present when the attack comes?

You can get cards during the campaign and there is a mercenary type card that allows you to bring reinforcements to fights.
You can activate these cards right before a battle and they only last for that battle only.

So if you play your cards right, you can always have some extra backup in dire times.
I had to bring in some mercenaries just a while ago when one of the opponents did a surprise attack on my capital.

Parakeetman

You can get cards during the campaign and there is a mercenary type card that allows you to bring reinforcements to fights.
You can activate these cards right before a battle and they only last for that battle only.

So if you play your cards right, you can always have some extra backup in dire times.
I had to bring in some mercenaries just a while ago when one of the opponents did a surprise attack on my capital.

Build at least one tavern too in a territory you control with no building on it yet as it will generate merc cards every 3 turns. As the quote above this says, having at least one or two in hand can be a lifesaver.

Dawg

Hey, it's the "Dragon Age 2 5/5, Witcher 2 3.5/5" Escapist.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Not the same reviewer though, but I get the feeling they're judging DC far too harsh. Review doesn't read like a 6/10 and it's like they're being extra stern because it's a lesser known developer and all.

I respect different opinions and all, but a 6/10 is really low.

Durante

Build at least one tavern too in a territory you control with no building on it yet as it will generate merc cards every 3 turns. As the quote above this says, having at least one or two in hand can be a lifesaver.
Also, it's really helpful to build the +100% income building (I forgot its name) on the territory with the highest base income. It can even make sense to remove another building from it if there's a large difference in base income between it and the next in line.

Also, it's really helpful to build the +100% income building (I forgot its name) on the territory with the highest base income. It can even make sense to remove another building from it if there's a large difference in base income between it and the next in line.

Gold mine

Great stuff, thanks!

Wortany

The Mine is fantastic, especially coupled with some policy changes in the campaign.

Raising taxes on dwarven land + gold mine = troops spilling over my borders

FACE

Banned
I think Edmund's in-game model looks better than this artwork, but he still looks dapper as fuck.

jexLsnBhjGp7H.png

Not sure if I should keep playing on easy or restart on normal. I'm still early so restarting isn't a big deal. I only picked easy because posts in here said normal was more like hard than normal. Now that you got accustomed to the game how you feeling about normal?

Durante

Not sure if I should keep playing on easy or restart on normal. I'm still early so restarting isn't a big deal. I only picked easy because posts in here said normal was more like hard than normal. Now that you got accustomed to the game how you feeling about normal?
I never felt it was too hard, just more challenging than what you're used to from a "normal" difficulty these days. It works well for me.

Parakeetman

Yeah really do dig the whole building process its so simple yet adds another level of depth. Did exactly what you said off the start when I had first started playing and got a territory with a higher income. After that went to get a tavern. Was nice that a few other locs I had captured had buildings on it already. One I think that ups research and forgot what the other was lol Was nice having that double income card too played on the spot with the mine on it. Really helped out when needed to buy a bunch of units to beef up the borders around the more heavily populated enemy territory and around prime targets from an attack by sea.

Normal isnt that bad and this is coming from someone that is terrible at RTS games. Its just you cant be a total idiot and go YOLO things without paying attention to what types of troops / defenses you will be up against.

Corto

I had some head bumps and false starts in normal difficulty while I got accustomed to the systems and controls. I'm now putting up a good fight, using the cards and upgrading units with Grumio make a huge difference too.

Durante

Normal isnt that bad and this is coming from someone that is terrible at RTS games. Its just you cant be a total idiot and go YOLO things without paying attention to what types of troops / defenses you will be up against.
Exactly.

For example, don't be me and try to fight a sea battle without having a single offensive sea unit (or even the possibility of building one)!

Top Bottom