• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Dragon Commander |OT| The political RTS/TBS/RPG/Action game

After watching the launch trailer I immediately went to Steam and bought this game. Finished Act 1 and I'm loving it so far. The writing is fantastic and the voice acting is just as good.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
How do I load units into transports? I must be missing something pretty obvious.

Just click and drag onto the transport. Standard ones can only hold up to 5 units. I forgot if there is a lock on loading units onto a newly built one / one that has already done an action in the turn.

You should see the cursor turn into a curved arrow if you can load said units onto the transport.

---

In my current game I might actually restart since I know what Im doing now. Plus I kinda screwed up with the research points at the start of the game. Should have been a little smarter with them instead of not checking everything first then spending it.

Moobabe

Just click and drag onto the transport. Standard ones can only hold up to 5 units. I forgot if there is a lock on loading units onto a newly built one / one that has already done an action in the turn.

You should see the cursor turn into a curved arrow if you can load said units onto the transport.

Is it only a certain type that can move in transports then?

Edit

You have to dock the transport into land first, I assumed you could do it to adjacent tiles.

Parakeetman

Is it only a certain type that can move in transports then?

Edit

You have to dock the transport into land first, I assumed you could do it to adjacent tiles.

For myself Ive only moved light / medium units into it, have not tried with heavy ones yet or flying ones like the shamans.

Glad to hear you figured out the problem! Enjoy storming sunny beaches! lol

Aselith

So I got some info back on my boxed copy of this. They are putting the Steam keys in the box so you'll be shit out of luck until they send you your box on August 19th. So, you pay about $8 or whatever more and you can't play the game for two weeks. :/

Corto

People with Imperial Editions and lacking the OST check now as Steam just downloaded a patch that added those to a folder in the game's directory. The folder is labeled "Imperial Edition" and it has the OST, concept art and a documentary. Go go go

Durante

You weren't kidding about that launch trailer. I don't think I can wait, I'm going to have to buy this now.
I don't think I've ever seen a launch trailer that presented the game as matter-of-factly as this one does, while still making me incredibly hyped.

FACE

Banned
You weren't kidding about that launch trailer. I don't think I can wait, I'm going to have to buy this now.

43PyylF.gif

Yeah, I gotta say, that trailer's pretty much sold me on this, and I generally dislike RTS games.

Looks too nutty and creative to pass up.

I'm not a big RTS fan either but I'm two hours in and absolutely loving the game. The mix of genres is brilliant imo and I haven't found the RTS phase too overwhelming.

Things move briskly but common sense strats (AKA making sure you have a good mix of units and using the appropriate counters to enemy units) work just fine. Not insanely macro heavy or anything. Plus if things get hairy turn into a dragon and go to town :p

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Just an update for those reading the thread but are hesitant due to the current price.

You can get a Steam copy of the Imperial Edition for only $17. If you're hesitant about doing business with Dunder, he comes highly recommended. If you don't believe me, I don't see how that's possible...but you never know; you can simply ask about him in the Steam thread to check with the posters there.

Parakeetman

Seriously the game is cheap enough as is for what it offers at 39.99 at a LAUNCH PRICE now mind you.

Durante

People with Imperial Editions and lacking the OST check now as Steam just downloaded a patch that added those to a folder in the game's directory. The folder is labeled "Imperial Edition" and it has the OST, concept art and a documentary. Go go go
I just got the update.

This is a lot more interesting than I expected, with prototype screenshots, concept art, development documentation and character flowcharts!

Downloading a 500mb patch here, what's in it?
That's probably the Imperial edition content. See above, plus the game soundtrack (as FLAC!).

I watched the Lets Play video, and the voice acting in this game is so terrible it makes me not even want to try it. Am I a shallow human being?

The RTS elements didn't look spectacular either....

Durante

Oh my, the Imperial Edition content also includes exciting Excel tables! (I'm not joking, I really find this stuff interesting)

I watched the Lets Play video, and the voice acting in this game is so terrible it makes me not even want to try it. Am I a shallow human being?
I don't know about shallow, but you are just plain wrong. The voice acting is fantastic.
It's identified as a highlight in reviews and stuff even (not that you should trust those more than you trust me).

Henry is a bit of a weak link sometimes IMHO, but outstanding performances like Edmund (and by "outstanding" I mean that it easily outdoes most "AAA" titles) more than make up for it.

Parakeetman

tumblr_m6c8toaQkW1ryj6qoo1_500.gif

I wouldnt say shallow, but no idea for what real quality is yes.

Tukker

Just an update for those reading the thread but are hesitant due to the current price.

You can get a Steam copy of the Imperial Edition for only $17. If you're hesitant about doing business with Dunder, he comes highly recommended. If you don't believe me, I don't see how that's possible...but you never know; you can simply ask about him in the Steam thread to check with the posters there.

Look interesting, You just put your neogaf and steamlink in the green cells and thats it to order the game?

I don't know about shallow, but you are just plain wrong. The voice acting is fantastic.
It's identified as a highlight in reviews and stuff even (not that you should trust those more than you trust me).

I don't know, I pretty much laughed out loud when the skeleton started talking.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Look interesting, You just put your neogaf and steamlink in the green cells and thats it to order the game?

Yes. He'll contact you through one of those links with his paypal account for you to send a friend/gift payment. Then he will send you the game as a Steam gift.

Parakeetman

You mean Yorrick? I think he's done really well. He's supposed to be a holier-than-thou religious archetype.

I swear to god I almost never want to listen to anything the elf has to say.

The lizard chick seriously has got to be the most sane one out of the bunch.

Corto

About Yorrick the undead, I know is not original, but I always love the hamletian wink wink nudge nudge of that name when it's used. I just have a gripe now with targeting units with dragon buffs/debuffs. I feel there's no reliable visual feedback that it targeted succesfully.

I don't know about in a let's play... but in the trailers I thought the voice acting and script felt a bit weak. In the actual game the dialogue is quite wonderful. Not sure what causes that divide... but as character get introduced to you it feels much more organic.

Parakeetman

About Yorrick the undead, I know is not original, but I always love the hamletian wink wink nudge nudge of that name when it's used. I just have a gripe now with targeting units with dragon buffs/debuffs. I feel there's no reliable visual feedback that it targeted succesfully.

Im guessing the single unit stuff really is more for when you get the heavy hitter expensive units later down the line. Since using those skills on the paper targets you start off with is such a waste of a skill and time when you could be burning everything to the ground instead with fireballs lol

Do agree with you though

danthefan

Good lord. Come up to an RTS battle that I apparently have an 85% chance of winning that I keep getting just annihilated in. The enemy seems to be able to produce an unreal number of units in a very short period of time. I'm also pretty sure I bought the technology that allows Zeppelins to attack but they just sit there doing nothing.

Durante

Good lord. Come up to an RTS battle that I apparently have an 85% chance of winning that I keep getting just annihilated in. The enemy seems to be able to produce an unreal number of units in a very short period of time. I'm also pretty sure I bought the technology that allows Zeppelins to attack but they just sit there doing nothing.
The Zeppelin attack is an active skill.

The first things you should do is start a unit construction building and send groups of your starting units to the nearest resource generation points -- but don't split them up so much that you have no chance of holding them. And keep an eye on enemy movements. Ideally, you'll want to time the first larger engagement to coincide with when you can first use your Dragon form.

Parakeetman

Another thing is it seems if you take too long and dont harass the enemy with the dragon form as soon as you can, really puts you on the defensive constantly which when that happens you just loose way too many units and have the larger risk of the enemies constantly stealing your facilities which is irritating as shit if they take your turrets for example.

Ive lost 2 fights by puttering around a little bit too long and the scenario explained above happened both times. D:

Durante

Yeah, sitting back and letting your enemy do whatever they want is a bad idea in most RTS and most situations, but it can be particularly bad in the RTS portion of Dragon Commander.

Parakeetman

Yeah, sitting back and letting your enemy do whatever they want is a bad idea in most RTS and most situations, but it can be particularly bad in the RTS portion of Dragon Commander.

This one it actually lulls the newer players into thinking its ok since there isnt any real "base building" besides capping the points initially, but once both sides are all set up and if you dont apply pressure right away, it becomes a serious problem lol.

I think thats one thing I learned about this game, is trying to strike first and fast can make a huge difference vs. trying to build up some forces first, which the computer seems to be a little bit better at until one gets all the mechanics down.

danthefan

The Zeppelin attack is an active skill.

The first things you should do is start a unit construction building and send groups of your starting units to the nearest resource generation points -- but don't split them up so much that you have no chance of holding them. And keep an eye on enemy movements. Ideally, you'll want to time the first larger engagement to coincide with when you can first use your Dragon form.

First thing I do is claim the nearby resource points, there's three of them and I can capture and build them all. Then I start building up an army. I guess I'm not very good at it but I've tried attack them, I've tried letting them come at me, they just overpower me.

I had two battles in that turn so I ended up letting that one be the auto battle.

Durante

First thing I do is claim the nearby resource points, there's three of them and I can capture and build them all. Then I start building up an army. I guess I'm not very good at it but I've tried attack them, I've tried letting them come at me, they just overpower me.
Hmm, that's strange. Maybe they had a really good counter for your unit composition?

My first game (which i lost on turn 8) I was playing defensive as that's a pretty basic strategy that almost always works in single player RTS games... defend your base, build a million units, use your defenses to hold off the enemy and then go bury them under 1000 overpowered units.

That doesn't seem to work in this game. Not yet, atleast.

In my second game my strategy still isn't all out assault, but I've moved the fight. I take over the first resources spot outside of my base and queue my units to there. By the time dragon form is up I move my mass of troops to the middle of the map and grab whatever nodes are around there. This game I picked the second dragon... the more physical/less magical one. I have this acid spit ability that is just nuts on units grouped together. So as I amass a massive army at the middle of the map I'm also going into dragon form and burning down as many as possible so I don't lose units as I build up.

Thus far it's worked rather well, even winning one where I had a 17% chance to win. Sometimes I win without taking out all of their buildings though. I assume a tutorial told me why that is at some point I guess I missed it.

Love this game. LOVE THIS GAME.

Durante

Did any of the bigger gaming sites review this game yet (IGN, Kotaku, etc)?
http://ru.ign.com/review/3884/review-dragon-commander
IGN russia loved it :p

What the hell are they waiting for?
Ad money? Their lush "reviewer edition"? A review guide which tells them what to write?
No, surely they are just taking their time to explore the intricacies of the game, and analyze the choice and consequence over multiple playthroughs.

I prefer the russians.

Corto

I'm really at the begining but for me my optimal strategy has been quickly identify a neutral point of the map with construction sites available in a critical position of the map, usually midway to the enemies base and rush there with all available units doing micro to fine tune the combat as the AI will surely do the same. Then start churning unit after unit and add a bit of Dragon action as needed. Been rather successful until now.

danthefan

Into chapter 2 now. It took me 6 hours to beat chapter 1 and the map for 2 is, ehh, bigger.

How does the map for chapter 3 compares?

Zukuu

Banned
Game is fantastic so far. Dragon is a bit too impacting (although I like that). It basically comes down to "defend till you can spawn" and then annihilate everything.
Tho, with enough mass production when invading it's pretty easy to just overwhelm your enemies entirely, but I play the waiting game for the most part.

I like the dragon command style - simple and clean. Wish the "other" RTS thing wasn't even a thing. Could have been more fine tuned to that then.

Dialogue is utterly supreme.

Having a real blast overall.

Is it possible to balance all races out? Draves sitting around 30% or so and everything they like seems to be disliked by me.

After watching the launch trailer I immediately went to Steam and bought this game. Finished Act 1 and I'm loving it so far. The writing is fantastic and the voice acting is just as good.

Same here. I have always loved Divinity games but i knew nothing about this title. Thought, "what the hell, why not?" and watched the trailer. It did not dissappoint and I immediately purchased this on steam. Some really evident charm from just a taste of the game that the trailer provides.

Durante

Game is fantastic so far. Dragon is a bit too impacting (although I like that). It basically comes down to "defend till you can spawn" and then annihilate everything.
The dragon form gets relatively less powerful later on. Sure, you get some new abilities, but they don't fully make up for the increased strength and number of units in most battles.

Dialogue is utterly supreme.
It is. Original Sin will be sublime.

Top Bottom