• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Dragon Commander |OT| The political RTS/TBS/RPG/Action game

garath

Anyone else's videos skip a little? I finally sat down to play it and the videos were skipping a bit. So far actual gameplay has not been affected. I'll have to track down the official forums and see if it's up there.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Anyone else's videos skip a little? I finally sat down to play it and the videos were skipping a bit. So far actual gameplay has not been affected. I'll have to track down the official forums and see if it's up there.

Mine does this too no idea why. Everything else works ok, just those cut scenes for the story bits seem to skip.

garath

Mine does this too no idea why. Everything else works ok, just those cut scenes for the story bits seem to skip.

I've had games where the movies skipped a bit before. Might be something with the codec they used or my version of drivers. If I'm not the only one I'm not going to worry about it. It's annoying but doesn't affect the gameplay.

I might try upgrading drivers later if anything else pops up. Didn't see anything about it on the official forums.

garath

Wow. I had a rough first battle. I had a 52% chance of victory and it was tough from the get go. I had no idea what I was doing and they secured a neutral set of buildings first. I forgot to generate troops so it just went downhill from there. It's really a RTS lol.

Ended up quitting because I ran out of time. Try number 2 coming up!

Durante

Well, the game does have a learning curve. If you're not playing RTS usually it may help to turn down battle speed in the settings, at least to start out with.

Tanolen

Wow. I had a rough first battle. I had a 52% chance of victory and it was tough from the get go. I had no idea what I was doing and they secured a neutral set of buildings first. I forgot to generate troops so it just went downhill from there. It's really a RTS lol.

Dragon form is crazy powerful, with acid blast im able to solo the entire map most times.

Dunno how well this strat will work later in the game, but so far it is stomping the computer. Just starting act 2.

Dawg

I remember my first battle, was about 55% success rate.

Made an entire army of different units and the enemy just destroyed them like they were nothing. Used my dragon with acid blast and they just kept coming.

And that was on normal :p

Durante

Dragon form is crazy powerful, with acid blast im able to solo the entire map most times.

Dunno how well this strat will work later in the game, but so far it is stomping the computer. Just starting act 2.
Good luck with that in the larger battles in act 2 ;)

I find early expansion is the key to success most of the time. Take whatever troops you have and race to one or two of the nearest sets of nodes (middle of the map is ideal) and set up shop. Make sure to sit on 20 resources so once the countdown ticks down you can fire up dragon form and provide support during this early phase. Chances are you'll be able to easily defend any assault from the enemy with the dragon backing up your fledging army.

At that point build up your army as you see fit, keep an eye on the minimap and slowly expand your territory dwindling your opponents resources.

Playing on normal thats how I've basically approached every battle so far and its been very effective.

garath

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm definitely out of touch with my RTS skills. Will turn down the battle speed a bit and give it another shot. I think half of it was figuring out what my units were and "oh look, I can build something here. What's my resource?" etc etc. By the time I started moving the enemy already had a foothold in the middle of the map. Lol

I have seemingly run into a game-stopping bug. Start of act 2 when you
Choose your wife... I chose the lizard chick. When i got back from a battle we had the ceremony and the queen's quarters opened up. When i go in there and I click on her nothing happens. When i go to the bridge and click on the map it says "Please go talk to the queen in her quarters first."

I've reloaded it a few times and it always happens. :(

Edit: Found the fix... loaded an autosave instead of my most recent manual save. That did the trick.

I have seemingly run into a game-stopping bug. Start of act 2 when you
Choose your wife... I chose the lizard chick. When i got back from a battle we had the ceremony and the queen's quarters opened up. When i go in there and I click on her nothing happens. When i go to the bridge and click on the map it says "Please go talk to the queen in her quarters first."

I've reloaded it a few times and it always happens. :(

That's terrible. I think the game creates an autosave between chapter transitions so you should be able to roll back to that point at least... :/

Now i've run into a new bug right after that one. My next turn on the board brings a battle up... except I can't choose myself or any commander and I can't back out of the screen.

Rebooted and am verifying the game's cache now. There was a 0 byte patch listed as a download overnight... not sure if that has anything to do with anything.

Are you guys replaying your losses or just living with how things shake out? I would assume that would change the balance of the game drastically.

Personally i'm living with them. My army got quite thin for a while in act 1 until I got the hang of it. But much like xcom-ironman, this is how i prefer to play strategy games.

Durante

Are you guys replaying your losses or just living with how things shake out? I would assume that would change the balance of the game drastically.

Personally i'm living with them. My army got quite thin for a while in act 1 until I got the hang of it. But much like xcom-ironman, this is how i prefer to play strategy games.
It depends. In one instance I lost two transports full of units at the start of act 2, that I replayed. But for smaller stuff I try to live with it.

My dragon wa unstoppable in act 3. That nuke ability combined with the juggernaut's missile made battles pretty trivial towards the end.
I guess it also depends on how you focus your upgrades -- I spent far more on unit upgrades than dragon abilities so far.

Hrothgar

When the map allows for it, I usually sent all my starting troops to a point close to the enemy base (while capping some resource points along the way) to block them from expanding.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Game is damn fine, but i really, really loathe the micromanagement.

Every single unit having clickable abilities? And i can have 100+ units? And most of the time i'm in Dragon Form? WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA?

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

Every single unit having clickable abilities? And i can have 100+ units? And most of the time i'm in Dragon Form? WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA?

You're able to group the same type of units, or any composition of units, into numbered squads. That should lessen the burden of micromanaging and turn it into a boon.

But it might help if you spend more time in the standard RTS mode and only switch to the Dragon form when you need the edge over the enemy.

It's a bit daunting for everyone at first, but eventually you'll get the hang of it.

Zukuu

Banned

You really don't need to micro individual units to be successful. I didn't even bother with anything but shamans for the most part and stomped through most missions.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Hey guys,

I am getting ready to buy this on larians website but when i go to my cart it says Available on August 19, 2013 for the digital version. Is this an error? Will i have to wait til then for it to unlock?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Hey guys,

I am getting ready to buy this on larians website but when i go to my cart it says Available on August 19, 2013 for the digital version. Is this an error? Will i have to wait til then for it to unlock?

You might want to ask the website support that question. Since as you have seen in this thread the game is out. Even the website says Available Now.

Durante

Game gets SO much better after the first chapter.
Yeah, the first act is almost like an extended tutorial in comparison. Which is understandable, given the many systems they need to introduce -- some people still think the learning curve is too steep.

I finished the single player campaign. This was an enjoyable game, one where the sum is greater than the sum of its whole. No one individual component of the game is particularly great, some such as the RTS aspect have a ton of flaws, but put together they work nicely. Though I admit by the end I was auto-resolving many battles because I had grown tired of the RTS battles. My Lizard wife stayed cold to me until the end, I suppose I should have forced her to go against the law.

Is there any reason to do a story campaign ever again? The custom campaign seems like it just skips the first chapter and gets you right to the meat of the game, but has all the rest of the content you'd want. I hear the undead wife
can become human or a frankenstein flesh monster,
I hope that's as hilarious as it sounds.

FACE

Banned
I finished the single player campaign. This was an enjoyable game, one where the sum is greater than the sum of its whole. No one individual component of the game is particularly great, some such as the RTS aspect have a ton of flaws, but put together they work nicely. Though I admit by the end I was auto-resolving many battles because I had grown tired of the RTS battles. My Lizard wife stayed cold to me until the end, I suppose I should have forced her to go against the law.

Is there any reason to do a story campaign ever again? The custom campaign seems like it just skips the first chapter and gets you right to the meat of the game, but has all the rest of the content you'd want. I hear the undead wife

Waifu-related spoilers:
She can also become a robot

So custom campaigns contain all the same story elements? Generals, factions, princesses etc?

Durante

I like how Edmund manages to be very Edmund even when he is congratulating you:
dcapp_2013_08_10_11_0gqxyj.jpg

Oh, and mustard gas is obscenely powerful in the right circumstances.
dcapp_2013_08_10_14_586lel.jpg

sixghost

What RTS would you guys compared the RTS mode to? Is it slower like the Relic or Creative Assembly games, or more like Starcraft?

Durante

What RTS would you guys compared the RTS mode to? Is it slower like the Relic or Creative Assembly games, or more like Starcraft?
It's hard to compare really, since the Dragon changes the game so much -- you could call it a gamechanger even! :p

But I'd say in terms of scale and unit counts it's a bit like Supreme Commander, and in terms of resource acquisition mechanics (and their impact on how matches play out) it's a lot like Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War.

By default it's quite fast-paced, but the speed is adjustable.

garath

It initially felt a little StarCraft like to me but I knocked the speed down a touch and it was much more comfortable for me.

Durante

Watching all the ESPORTs on today I kind of wish I could see a "pro" Dragon Commander match. Dragon dogfights while microing armies would be pretty insane. There certainly isn't much of an APM ceiling in this game.

CTLance

He's one of them youtube personalities/video bloggers.
3382605_o.gif

His enthusiasm behind his videos is infectious and seems genuine. Bit of an L'enfant terrible when it comes to interviews (learned the hard way after getting a verbal smackdown from the Dorito Pope the first time around). Has a good amount of followers, so his review is good PR for this game.

He's also a gaffer by now. Maybe he'll show up here.

Top Bottom