• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

Artdayne

Two-Handed isn't that good until level 10+ and it doesn't get great until close to end of the game. The best physical damage dealers are Rangers and Rogues.

Most of the hardest fights are at the end of the game. Rogues have the strictest positioning requirements in the game and often get screwed over because enemies have their backs to walls. Besides, I would say Warrior jumps clearly ahead of Rogues around mid way through act 2. I also don't get how you think Warriors are strictly a single target class, that's blatantly not the case. Whirl, Battering Ram and Battle Stomp will all hit multiple targets regularly. The thing is though, they don't suffer at all when they are doing single target damage either, absolutely on par with Rogues in most scenarios.

Stiler

Yea warriors are not in any way a single target only....

Have my main geared toward Warfare/polymorph , pheonix dive into a group, whirlwind, blitz, medusa's gaze, battle stomp, soooooo much aoe dmg from those.

AcAnchoa

I almost have 100 hundred resurrection scrolls and I want more, at this point getting more of them is like a non tracked quest.

I like puzzles, but I found the ones in Divinity to be bad. Some involved too uch walking, or finding a buttoms that were very hard to spot. Samething for traps, sometimes they were just too excessive and I felt uncreative. More an annoyance than a interesting game mechanic that you needed to overcome.
That areas has not changed that much and are still borderline annoying, especially puzzles; sometimes it's not just spotting the button but getting the right camera angle to be able to push it. I'm a sucker for puzzles but in both Original Sin games I just look for the solution online after a few tries, they feel very uninspired.

Ryzaki009

Wait huh at the physical incarnate being bad? I had two so they were perfect for chain CCing physically. That was on classic but I'm playing on tact now and it's still working.

Taruranto

VdaRPyV.jpg

Nice, you can use the enhanced runes to bypass the stats requirement on armors. The result looks kinda ugly as hell, but at least my main character's psychical armor won't get smashed in two hits.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So I've just made it to act 3 and so far things I wanna say.

Adrenaline + Backstabbing + lone wolf in this game is insanity, I'm only level 16 and I can do ~4k damage with just my auto attacks and the "teleports behind you nothing personal kid" ability on my opening turn. I went for a dual lone wolf set up with my other character being a summoner / support / utility wizard and the game has been a mix of a breeze with some hard stops in difficulty from time to time as far as combat goes. I looked online and people seem to say that backstab sucks but I have a really hard time believing that crits that can crit are bad in anyway.

The game is awkwardly paced though, just when I think I get what's going on the game throws a million other random things that seem equally important my way. Particularly that business in the blackpits in act 2 that felt like it came out of nowhere?

Over all I feel like despite the improvements to combat and nice quality of life changes to building your characters I think the first game just had a much better flow. Things felt like they moved more naturally with the main loop being new town -> explore town -> get lead -> out door encounters -> big dungeon -> new area. DOS2 seems to want to give you a lot more freedom but it ends up just giving you too much to do and by the time you finish most of the stuff you realize "these quests rewards are like 3 levels lower than me and I think I should probably move on" which gives the game a weird difficulty curve. It goes from just right to hard to easy in every area. Also I think I liked the first one's story more.

But don't get me wrong DOS2 is a fantastic CRPG and one of the finest. But I feel like people who picked this one up but skipped the first should definitely go back and experience the first one.

lionpants

My waypoint icons no longer display on the map. Anyone know why?

Seems like there's a bunch of little UI bugs still in the game :(

The game is awkwardly paced though, just when I think I get what's going on the game throws a million other random things that seem equally important my way. Particularly that business in the blackpits in act 2 that felt like it came out of nowhere?

No, it didn't. It's part of the main problems in Driftwood when you first arrived at the town. The important NPCs mentioned it and you actually get a quest or two from them.

It's also highly related to the main quest
where you're supposed to find Source Masters. You get to rescue an acquintance of a source master.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Nice, you can use the enhanced runes to bypass the stats requirement on armors. The result looks kinda ugly as hell, but at least my main character's psychical armor won't get smashed in two hits.

What? Not sure I understand what you're saying here? In your pic the stat requirement on the armor is 13 strength, sew your saying your character has less then 13 strength and can equip the armor? If yes, that's a bug for sure.

Renekton

For an enchanter (Hydro/Aero), do you have to invest major points into both Hydro and Aero or can you leave them at middling levels and pump a third skill?

It seems like they are mostly for utility rather than damage.

KorrZ

For an enchanter (Hydro/Aero), do you have to invest major points into both Hydro and Aero or can you leave them at middling levels and pump a third skill?

If you just want the utility then yes, put just enough points in to get the spells you need. If you have any hopes of doing magic damage you pretty much need to max a skill though.

Renekton

If you just want the utility then yes, put just enough points in to get the spells you need. If you have any hopes of doing magic damage you pretty much need to max a skill though.
Thanks, I do have a Ranger and a Geo/Pyro Wizard as well so damage is not an issue.

It feels like Hydro/Aero damage doesn't scale well for the point investment, so I'm wondering if can just get enough for utilities and go into summ or necro.

I have an Aero/Pyro mage with a bit of Hydro. Yeah, Hydro is useless for doing damage, but Aero is actually decent. The best damage dealer is still Pyro though.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
No, it didn't. It's part of the main problems in Driftwood when you first arrived at the town. The important NPCs mentioned it and you actually get a quest or two from them.

It's also highly related to the main quest
where you're supposed to find Source Masters. You get to rescue an acquintance of a source master.

I guess what i meant to say was that the plot point came back up out of no where for me because there was just a lot of random things that kept pulling my attention away.
i was also mostly referring to the eternals stuff where you go to the source mines and fight that god type woman

Sygma

Summoning is pretty much an all or nothing affair for the pets, but it's situationally good to have two into the school for Charm in a split group. The Incarnate really shines though in either an all elemental damage group, or a split group.

It mostly sucks in an all physical group other than having kind of a distraction, an extra Battle Stomp and the ability for the caster to deal damage at a range they normally wouldn't be able to on the first turn. It just can't keep up with the physical damage characters can do thanks to the crazy item scaling though. At best you end up with a beefy distraction that can supplement the "okay" damage of the caster until the caster also has 10 in Warfare, which is late game. There's pretty much no reason to infuse it with an element in this kind of group either.

It's an absolute monster though in split or an all elemental group however. For whatever reason, the Incarnate hits way harder with the same spells that a player can use even at the same rank in that element. They can only cast two spells, but they hit like a truck and are also cheaper in that they are "free" aside from the single source point you spent for the infusion. The same spells for the player would cost 2-3 source points and do less damage (WTF?).

Healing is overrated and you will almost never have any need for anything beyond the basic Restoration spell. The Huntsman's First Aid is useful mostly for the caster, but it removes some rather annoying debuffs on top of the healing it does too. Most of the time potions are more than enough and you'll barely need them either. Keeping your armors up is more important. Two-Handed isn't that good until level 10+ and it doesn't get great until close to end of the game. The best physical damage dealers are Rangers and Rogues.

Haste is a questionable use of AP to cast on yourself unless you're using it to remove Cripple and Slow. It essentially costs 1 AP to move you an extra 2m per AP spent (so up to 6m on a typical first turn) since the AP you gain from it makes it a zero sum total. It's not terrible for 1 AP, but it stalls your first turn. Polymorph is a great tree, but it's only situationally useful to go beyond two points for a long while, and even then it might not even be worth going beyond the first rank until late game. Flight is a good skill, but its use compared to the other movement options is dubious. It costs two AP for the first time you move with it and then one after on the next two turns. Phoenix Dive, Cloak and Dagger and Tactical Retreat (which you most likely wouldn't have) all cost 1 AP and move you the same distance. It's rare that you'll need to actually move that many times in most encounters anyway, because even if you do end up using it a third time, chances are it was to move to the complete opposite end of the screen from where you were and even then you still would not have reached the last enemy or two--which will most likely already be picked off by your other characters anyway.

As far as keeping armor up, Fortify is better than both Uncanny Evasion and Heart of Steel (it also removes burning and prevents teleportation), although if you don't want to spread your points out too much, even Bone Cage is better than the other two options, especially since Necromancy has a handful of really useful buffs, debuffs and situational healing that work well with melee compared to both Aero and Geo.

i mean you re completely throwing out of the equation both race skills and executionner at that point. my 2h is an elf so spread your wings cost 1 point. i use pyro for clear minded, its actually my necro who has haste for my warrior. so yeah if you re a bit far you ll effectively begin a turn with 5 ap, then again its all you need to kill someone and get 2 ap back

for fortify you need geo but overall its not good of a tree for melees at all

bone cage is on the necro only. to make it work on someone you need soul mate but I've already covered that. Downside is that for soul mate to work with bone cage or rally cry, you have to wait one turn

and to finish the pet can take care of armors on his own, ill heavily disagree on the elemental not useful in a physical group since you can profit of cursed elements. his melee attack also deal elemental damage which means that you can break enemies armor pretty fast and then have at it with your caster by saving ap

also tactical retreat is a one and done use, for melee its plain bad. again, flight is superior since you have it for 3 turns while it also make you fly above elemental affected areas. Its also 1 ap to cover almost all the area where the combat is taking place, which saves you 1ap for every 4ap actions you'd do otherwise (walking up to a target + attack)

This game plays beautifully with my Xbox Elite controller. So happy they put in the proper UI and controller setup. Playing this game on an OLED is a complete treat!

Got my Kickstarter Collector's Edition box in on Friday. Torn what to do about it, though. It's big, too big. I have the Kickstarter CE for D:OS and love it, but I just don't have room for this one. Stupid statuette! Are the books and map cool enough to keep, or should I sell this and just buy when it gets a console release (which is really where I'd prefer to play it, I've shifted from PC (when I KS'd this) to console in the last couple of years)? Also, anyone know if I have keys separate from those in the box? I honestly was waiting until release and getting the physical goodies before digging in. While I'd prefer to play on console I certainly don't mind diving in on the PC now.

Speely

Banned
Making a what-the-hell party:

Sebille: Summoner/Hydro/Leadership
Ifan: Summoner/Aero/Leadership
Beast: Summoner/Geo/Leadership
Lohse (MC) - 2H/Scoundrel/Warfare

No fire because fuck fire, Sandor style. Lots of summons. Lohse is gonna be a fucking crit-lord since she is the main source of physical damage, though summons will help with that some. The other 3 will provide utility/magic damage via elemental lines and use shields + wands so they can wade in a bit and stack Leadership bonuses...

... Uh, do Leadership bonuses stack?

Sygma

Tell me more about this glass canon necro build.

Its all about using Death Wish + On the edge

Throw in corpse explosion / mass corpse explosion or that source skill applying crippling on everyone and you're definitely set to say the least

I long ago accidentally glitched into the
Luna Temple
and got out and wandered about like normal and ended up in the said place but it wasn't labeled that either time. Go to do the puzzle gate after a long while and got mad and looked up the solution..walk in and it's..the same dam place ha.

Making a what-the-hell party:

Sebille: Summoner/Hydro/Leadership
Ifan: Summoner/Aero/Leadership
Beast: Summoner/Geo/Leadership
Lohse (MC) - 2H/Scoundrel/Warfare

No fire because fuck fire, Sandor style. Lots of summons. Lohse is gonna be a fucking crit-lord since she is the main source of physical damage, though summons will help with that some. The other 3 will provide utility/magic damage via elemental lines and use shields + wands so they can wade in a bit and stack Leadership bonuses...

... Uh, do Leadership bonuses stack?
Highest leadership wins but the person with leadership doesn't get the benefit unless you got 2 ppl with it

Jokab

Playing as Beast and feeling kind of lackluster. I'm the party's designated tank and playing 1h+shield and hydrosophist + necromancy. My thought was that I could be sort of a cleric with hydrosophist and also some debuffs with necromancy, but I'm just feeling like I do so little damage and mostly just provide shields with hydro. The concept of a tank seems kind of moot too since no one attacks me as I have the highest armor lol. Should I respec?

So the party atm is:
1h+shield with hydro/necro (me)
Ranger (deals a fuckton of damage)
Backstabbing thief with aerosophist
Mage with pyro and summoning

Mothman91

Act IV questions....:

At the Cathedral that has the cursed revenants. They constantly respawn,
what's the best way to deal with them?

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
What's the chances of someone modding the armor dyes to work in game like in DOS1?

You guys reckon it's a design choice, or just something that got left out?

Want to make my merry band unicolor (which kind of isn't happening due to min/max of my loadouts, random blues messing with my gold companion armors).

Playing as Beast and feeling kind of lackluster. I'm the party's designated tank and playing 1h+shield and hydrosophist + necromancy. My thought was that I could be sort of a cleric with hydrosophist and also some debuffs with necromancy, but I'm just feeling like I do so little damage and mostly just provide shields with hydro. The concept of a tank seems kind of moot too since no one attacks me as I have the highest armor lol. Should I respec?

So the party atm is:
1h+shield with hydro/necro (me)
Ranger (deals a fuckton of damage)
Backstabbing thief with aerosophist
Mage with pyro and summoning

Make sure that your tank has Attack of Opportunity talent, it's more useful than what it sounds. I have 2 melee units who have it and they could kill an enemy who's stupid enough to try to pass them. Also, make sure that your ranged units are placed way behind the tank so the enemies would attack the tank instead. Even if they're trying to get to them, they'll have to pass the tank who have that talent I mentioned earlier. Taunt skill is useless I never use it. It's better to just stomp armorless enemies than taunt them.

What's the chances of someone modding the armor dyes to work in game like in DOS1?

You guys reckon it's a design choice, or just something that got left out?

Want to make my merry band unicolor (which kind of isn't happening due to min/max of my loadouts, random blues messing with my gold companion armors).

From what I've read, more customization options (including the dyes system) is not done yet and will be patched later.

sadblob

Act IV questions....:

At the Cathedral that has the cursed revenants. They constantly respawn,
what's the best way to deal with them?

You have to clear every single pixel of necrofire to stop them from respawning. Use tornado + bless if you want to do it.

I strongly recommend you skip them and tp to the objective though.

Loam

So is there a point to traps that I'm missing? Can you use them somehow, or do they start popping up in combat heavy areas later in the game? I'm about halfway through act two (I think) and so far I've been able to stroll my entire party over every single one I've encountered without problem. Finding ways past, or taking the time to disarm them seems sort of pointless when even the squishy caster character can tank a handful of explosions and just instantly heal with a bedroll.

Ryzaki009

Yeah tactician dual lone wolf...aerothurge is awful. The electrified effect doesn't last long, trying to create puddles to not get dunked on only lasts about 2 rounds and yep I should've just gone pyro/hydro.

On the upside archer is still as lulzy as ever.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Picked this up earlier in the week and have played for probably around 10 hours. Definitely feels like a refined version of the original with a story that actually interests me this time, though.

The combat is tough as hell, and despite liking the mechanics, I find myself getting frequently frustrated with it. It frequently feels quite unfair unless you're at least two levels higher than the enemies at which point you can just face roll them. Most of all, I wish they wouldn't have so many ambush scenarios. I just quick load each time and approach the situation more carefully the next time.

Also, it seems like magic rather sucks and crossbows/bows/huntsman skills are insanely powerful. Lohse went from being absolutely useless to my best party member just by giving her a badass crossbow.

Truant

I think my game got seriously fucked up. Anyone else experiencing this?

Early driftwood spoilers:

I was searching for that guy who supposedly was hiding in a barrel, when I found a man looking for his wedding ring. I got the ring via telekinesis, and a bunch of voidwalkers spawned in. I did a few rounds of combat, when a magister suddenly joined the fight.
The game just freaked out and gave me tons of journal updates, crafting items, and just bombarded me with notifications. I first thought that a bunch of quests failed since the Magister joined, but I couldn't find anything in my journal. It was hard telling exactly what changed. Does anyone know what exactly happened?

Where is everyone going once they have escaped Fort Joy, it's a massive area and I'm struggling to work out where is the best place to go apart from just going to
where the kid told me to go.

Leezard

I think my game got seriously fucked up. Anyone else experiencing this?

Early driftwood spoilers:

I was searching for that guy who supposedly was hiding in a barrel, when I found a man looking for his wedding ring. I got the ring via telekinesis, and a bunch of voidwalkers spawned in. I did a few rounds of combat, when a magister suddenly joined the fight.
The game just freaked out and gave me tons of journal updates, crafting items, and just bombarded me with notifications. I first thought that a bunch of quests failed since the Magister joined, but I couldn't find anything in my journal. It was hard telling exactly what changed. Does anyone know what exactly happened?
Sometimes notifications from earlier in the game get delayed. Maybe you didn't get a noitfication when you finished a quest or moved on from Act 1. You can randomly get them all at once at a later time. I've had this happen a couple times and it's nothing fucked up, just a minor bug.

Stevey

Sometimes notifications from earlier in the game get delayed. Maybe you didn't get a noitfication when you finished a quest or moved on from Act 1. You can randomly get them all at once at a later time. I've had this happen a couple times and it's nothing fucked up, just a minor bug.

I've had that happen a few times as well.

Flaboere

I need a little help on skills - right now
I play Lohse as a pure ranger, maxing Warfare then Huntsman, with 1 point hydro for healing.

Then Fane as 2H pure warfare. Do I add necro to him as well? Or whats good with warfare, poyl for the wings?

Red Prince as pure summoner, at least until 10 points in summon.

Lastly, Sebille who i skilled as Pyro/Geo, but now she has a point in aero, hydro and necro as well. I'm not sure how to skill her, as I thought Pyro/geo is the classical way, but necro sounds fun as well, and poly. How thin can I spread her, and whats good together?

Had to rescue some guy at the Blackpits. Quite a long fight.... guy runs through necrofire towards a distant enemy at the end.... dies.

Reloaded, stupid dick did it again so I teleported him far away from any necrofire.... he walks through it again and dies.....

Lanrutcon

I need a little help on skills - right now
I play Lohse as a pure ranger, maxing Warfare then Huntsman, with 1 point hydro for healing.

Then Fane as 2H pure warfare. Do I add necro to him as well? Or whats good with warfare, poyl for the wings?

Red Prince as pure summoner, at least until 10 points in summon.

Lastly, Sebille who i skilled as Pyro/Geo, but now she has a point in aero, hydro and necro as well. I'm not sure how to skill her, as I thought Pyro/geo is the classical way, but necro sounds fun as well, and poly. How thin can I spread her, and whats good together?

Spell schools are weird. They scale off the actual School and then Int. Now, utility magic doesn't need a lot of points to be effective. Damage magic needs every single edge it can get or you might as well not bother.

Example: if you're only going to spend 2 points in Aero, then just forget about all the Aero damage spells and just take the utility ones.

The 2 schools that are hurt most by this are Geo and especially Pyro. They are the "dps" schools. If you're going to use Pyro, then you want to max Pyro. If you're not going to max Pyro, then your fireballs and shit will always lag behind and hit like wet noodles. Int alone isn't enough to keep your damaging spells up to date.

An "Omni" caster with 2 - 3 points in everything would work great, but just for utility. They'd never be even remotely good at doing damage.

Had to rescue some guy at the Blackpits. Quite a long fight.... guy runs through necrofire towards a distant enemy at the end.... dies.

Reloaded, stupid dick did it again so I teleported him far away from any necrofire.... he walks through it again and dies.....

Start the fight at the highest platform where
he's being held by the magisters
, and stay there the whole fight. The enemies will come to you instead and therefore he'll also stay there with you. He actually has ranged skills so being on a high platform will make him maximize the height bonus. Also, don't forget to use Cryogenic Stasis on him.

Start the fight at the highest platform where
he's being held by the magisters
, and stay there the whole fight. The enemies will come to you instead and therefore he'll also stay there with you. He actually has ranged skills so being on a high platform will make him maximize the height bonus. Also, don't forget to use Cryogenic Stasis on him.

I didn't move. I happily stayed there. Some of the straggler blobs stay down below and off he goes. I cheesed the end of the fight with a save during battle and just before he went full derp I teleported him to his target saving him hundreds of damage and then killed it myself.

Flaboere

Spell schools are weird. They scale off the actual School and then Int. Now, utility magic doesn't need a lot of points to be effective. Damage magic needs every single edge it can get or you might as well not bother.

Example: if you're only going to spend 2 points in Aero, then just forget about all the Aero damage spells and just take the utility ones.

The 2 schools that are hurt most by this are Geo and especially Pyro. They are the "dps" schools. If you're going to use Pyro, then you want to max Pyro. If you're not going to max Pyro, then your fireballs and shit will always lag behind and hit like wet noodles. Int alone isn't enough to keep your damaging spells up to date.

An "Omni" caster with 2 - 3 points in everything would work great, but just for utility. They'd never be even remotely good at doing damage.

Thats fine, Sebille is mostly for ulitity and buffing and such. So maybe just keep going with many schools with her i guess.

Moff

I havent played in days. I am afraid to continue. Still somewhat at the beginning of act 3. But reports of bugs and bad content in act 3 and 4 have put me off. I didnt really love act 3 so far either.

Top Bottom