• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

I didn't move. I happily stayed there. Some of the straggler blobs stay down below and off he goes. I cheesed the end of the fight with a save during battle and just before he went full derp I teleported him to his target saving him hundreds of damage and then killed it myself.

I see. It seems that fight went in a quite different direction for me.

I havent played in days. I am afraid to continue. Still somewhat at the beginning of act 3. But reports of bugs and bad content in act 3 and 4 have put me off. I didnt really love act 3 so far either.

Nah, they're heavily exaggerated imho.

Act 3 is way shorter compared to Act 2, with a couple of small settlement where the vendors are, but that's about it.

While Act 4 is
a huge city
with hidden dungeons in every corner and I think it's a brilliant map design.

Overall, they maybe a step down from the amazing 2nd Act, but nothing gamebreaking or something like that.

Leezard

I see. It seems that fight went in a quite different direction for me.

Nah, they're heavily exaggerated imho.

Act 3 is way shorter compared to Act 2, with a couple of small settlement where the vendors are, but that's about it.

While Act 4 is
a huge city
with hidden dungeons in every corner and I think it's a brilliant map design.

Overall, they maybe a step down from the amazing 2nd Act, but nothing gamebreaking or something like that.

I think Act 4 is kinda fine as is. Once I got there I pretty much just wanted to wrap up the loose ends and finish the story. I did get a bit lost for a while and had to look up where to go to progress though.

Renekton

Playing as Beast and feeling kind of lackluster. I'm the party's designated tank and playing 1h+shield and hydrosophist + necromancy. My thought was that I could be sort of a cleric with hydrosophist and also some debuffs with necromancy, but I'm just feeling like I do so little damage and mostly just provide shields with hydro. The concept of a tank seems kind of moot too since no one attacks me as I have the highest armor lol. Should I respec?
Hydrotank is faily weak, I learned that the hard way. You need Warfare skills to contribute to the battlefield, so a melee cleric starts off useless until you buy some Warfare skills.

Hybridizing stats is suboptimal as well. Any point in INT means less STR so you can't strip physical armor on your own, and vice versa.

For a 1H tank, just follow the standard fighter template of STR/CON War/Geo. Sprinkle a little hydro and necro for utility and that's it.

Felt pretty good beating the magisters in Fort Joy underground after spectaclarly failing for 4-5 times. The battle system is super interesting because you can screw yourself up in so many ways. I also always tend to forget that you can save mid-fight.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Felt pretty good beating the magisters in Fort Joy underground after spectaclarly failing for 4-5 times. The battle system is super interesting because you can screw yourself up in so many ways. I also always tend to forget that you can save mid-fight.
Mid fight saves are so satisfying, love it.

25 hours in, still in Act 1 and taking my time: some of the companion banter is the best story in the game.

This game is so damn good, my biggest gripe is I can dye my armor...so no big probs here lol.

Sentenza

Saving mid fight is something people should be really careful about, anyway.
Do it one time too much during the "wrong fight" and you may find yourself "Quicksaved into a dead end".

Truant

Sometimes notifications from earlier in the game get delayed. Maybe you didn't get a noitfication when you finished a quest or moved on from Act 1. You can randomly get them all at once at a later time. I've had this happen a couple times and it's nothing fucked up, just a minor bug.

Ah, thanks. I actually freaked out and reloaded my previous save which lost me 30 minutes of playtime. It will probably happen again, though, but good to know I can safely ignore it. It was just weird seeing as it all happened in combat.

lulz at the act 4 unique bow
with cleave damage
i don't want to use it b/c my current bow has great status effect percentage and multiples of them but can't pass up them
3 slots

Taruranto

What? Not sure I understand what you're saying here? In your pic the stat requirement on the armor is 13 strength, sew your saying your character has less then 13 strength and can equip the armor? If yes, that's a bug for sure.

eEw32zb.jpg

Masterwork/Mystical runes give you extra stats. Since stats requirement are so low, you can slap a couple on your mages and bypass the requirements.

Some questions for you guys. At lvl14 act2:

Is Bone Widow (Necro spell) any good if you don't have any summoning? And the geo/pyro equivalents?
Are there any good damage spells for aero, necro or hydro of 2 ap?

So is there a point to traps that I'm missing? Can you use them somehow, or do they start popping up in combat heavy areas later in the game? I'm about halfway through act two (I think) and so far I've been able to stroll my entire party over every single one I've encountered without problem. Finding ways past, or taking the time to disarm them seems sort of pointless when even the squishy caster character can tank a handful of explosions and just instantly heal with a bedroll.

The traps in these games (this and the original) are weird because you have unlimited healing (in princinple). At least in the original they were more of an issue because they set status effects that could still be active in the next battle. Now traps are pretty useless most of the time, the armour system soaks (most) of the damage and prevents status effects. Some of them are just scenery dressing (for example, the ones near the paladins in act 2)
They could have been more creative with the traps. What if springing a trap would alert enemies? Or it could put you into a bad position for combat. Or set an status effect that you have to deal with in combat. Or go the easy route and make them lethal (at least do enough damage that the next misstep can be fatal)

Picked this up earlier in the week and have played for probably around 10 hours. Definitely feels like a refined version of the original with a story that actually interests me this time, though.

The combat is tough as hell, and despite liking the mechanics, I find myself getting frequently frustrated with it. It frequently feels quite unfair unless you're at least two levels higher than the enemies at which point you can just face roll them. Most of all, I wish they wouldn't have so many ambush scenarios. I just quick load each time and approach the situation more carefully the next time.

Also, it seems like magic rather sucks and crossbows/bows/huntsman skills are insanely powerful. Lohse went from being absolutely useless to my best party member just by giving her a badass crossbow.

The early game is pretty hard, it gets easier. I think I died the most in the first act. I didn't feel it was unfair though, why did you have that feeling?

Taruranto

Bone Widow is amazing, especially if you cast "Armour of Frost" on it. But even if you don't, it still is pretty good to distract enemies and soak damage.

kionedrik

Some questions for you guys. At lvl14 act2:

Is Bone Widow (Necro spell) any good if you don't have any summoning? And the geo/pyro equivalents?
Are there any good damage spells for aero, necro or hydro of 2 ap?

I have Bone Widow on my mage with zero base summoning and that thing does work. It's basically 2 free auto-attacks when you cast it that deal close to 1k physical damage plus it soaks some of the enemy hate.
I think Winterblast is the best base 2AP skill. As far as Hydro goes you can easily make skills cost 2AP by casting Rain > Global Cooling and having the Elemental Affinity talent.

I usually roll with controller for every PC game where I have a choice. But not with this game. It takes forever to do the simplest things and inventory management is a nightmare.

Well, I tested the Xbox One controlller and I loved it. Much better to control the character and the camera. The inventory management is not a big issue, since you can sort by last item picked up and acess it very fast.

Naito

lulz at the act 4 unique bow
with cleave damage
i don't want to use it b/c my current bow has great status effect percentage and multiples of them but can't pass up them
3 slots

Had the same dilemma, until I looted almost immediately after the unique crossbow (more dmg, 20% frozen chance, 3 slots as well) found in the Arx sewers by the "mistake guy" fight
:)

I think my game got seriously fucked up. Anyone else experiencing this?

Early driftwood spoilers:

I was searching for that guy who supposedly was hiding in a barrel, when I found a man looking for his wedding ring. I got the ring via telekinesis, and a bunch of voidwalkers spawned in. I did a few rounds of combat, when a magister suddenly joined the fight.
The game just freaked out and gave me tons of journal updates, crafting items, and just bombarded me with notifications. I first thought that a bunch of quests failed since the Magister joined, but I couldn't find anything in my journal. It was hard telling exactly what changed. Does anyone know what exactly happened?

You or the enemy probably pulled in magisters either from across the stream or up north by the west checkpoint. Happened in my game and it was a huge help since I was under-leveled for that fight. It shouldn't break anything but maybe compare your journal pre- and post fight just be sure.

Truant

Well, I tested the Xbox One controlller and I loved it. Much better to control the character and the camera. The inventory management is not a big issue, since you can sort by last item picked up and acess it very fast.

The journal is completely useless with a controller and made the game unplayable for me. It's an easy fix too, just add the two-page layout of the KB+M verskon.

The journal is completely useless with a controller and made the game unplayable for me. It's an easy fix too, just add the two-page layout of the KB+M verskon.

humm, thanks for the tip.

Playing with a controller is not perfect, but for me the Pro's exceed the Con's.

JC Sera

So I have a question concerning act 4 with the D
octor
Fight (I chose not to snuff
any candles
)
Now around the city there is random level 20 citizens that hiss at you when you talk to them. So I attacked them, and they turned into "Nemesis". There is one by the school, two by the dock and 4 in Kemm's garden. I personally think in retrospect they are the ones the parrot plants are parroting. When you kill off the 2 of the 4 in the garden, the other 2 flee. When we confronted the docks ones, they also fled. Managed to kill the school one.

When we started the doctor fight, along with the already in the house nurses, some of those nemesis enemies also spawned. So we know who they work for now. The Doctor started with his ridiculous Armor and vitality stats with no debuff.

We went classic D:OS1 and corpse dragged the battle by killing one add and fleeing, without getting lohse (my character) involved in combat, so the doctor couldn't possess me. Luckily I specced summoner, so I could still throw very tanky summons into the fight so it didn't feel like we were 3 vs them.

Now heres the question part: Once we got rid of all the add enemies, the doctors max armor and health went down by a power of magnitude! I wanted to know if anyone else experienced this. It made the fight a lot easier.

Taruranto

The
Nameless island
kinda sucks, or maybe I need to take a break from the game, the battles are wearing me out a bit.

Is this place chapter 3?

Sygma

I havent played in days. I am afraid to continue. Still somewhat at the beginning of act 3. But reports of bugs and bad content in act 3 and 4 have put me off. I didnt really love act 3 so far either.

I cleared act 3 in around 6 hours - all quests included - and it was completely fine. It's your "calm down" act by essence, much more focused on story than on the overall experience.

Act 4 is the complete opposite and throws epic stuff to your face by waves so far. I honestly think act 3 was welcomed when you think about it from a pure story telling / rythm point of view. Kinda like the "Lady of the lake" chapter of Witcher 1

Also the minor bugs I seem to get are side quests related and that's about it

edit

Q8snjSk.jpg

Please final boss don't let me down

Can't wait to get that 3 runes slots weapon lmao

Elven_Star

I'm totally going double lone wolf next time. My Lohse is absolutely useless. Ranger Fane + Warrior Red Prince should cover everything nicely.
In fact, I might actually respec and see how it goes right now. Why wait for the next playthrough? The way 2017 is going, that could be ages from now.

Edit:
I would miss the Lohse story stuff that way, right? Damn.

Reivaxe

I'm thinking I should just do it ... make a 2nd summoner.
I mean, unless my assassin is back stabin the target no one else is cracking that armor without risking getting bent over. Without my summons there's too much armor.

Feel like this could be the way around magic armor to. Get a 2nd that's ranged and can throw some pools of useful elements to use.

Also is there a reason the cat only goes to
the red prince?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I'm totally going double lone wolf next time. My Lohse is absolutely useless. Ranger Fane + Warrior Red Prince should cover everything nicely.
In fact, I might actually respec and see how it goes right now. Why wait for the next playthrough? The way 2017 is going, that could be ages from now.

Edit:
I would miss the Lohse story stuff that way, right? Damn.

My double lone wolf play through so far has been way more enjoyable than my full party play through. It's just less inventory management and you just get more actions per turns and your characters get stronger faster. The biggest threat is dealing with large groups since they just get more actions than you and getting CC'ed is often the kiss of death but making one of your characters a summoner is a great way around that.

I run backstab scoundrel and utility summoner / elementalist and the game is just a murder fest.

Lanrutcon

Planning to steamroll your way through the game, I see.

I intend to crack this game like an egg. I'm talking maximum cheese. Teleporting everyone into lava, tossing heavy chests at people, stacking invincible bulbs on people with telekinesis, having NPCs kill my targets for me, the works.

I've already kind of mapped everything out in my head, and there are only 3 fights in the entire game where I can't use some manner of cheese:

Forced boat fight between chapter 1 and 2, Doll fight in the tomb, final fight (but I suspect if you kill things in a specific order you avoid the giant clusterfuck)

My current party has a ranger Sebille and a custom PC warrior who do very well. Summoner Ifan is also working fine, with a bit of aero for teleportation/nether swap and a bit of hydro/geo for the armor buffs. I'm not sure where I'll go from there (necro?), but either way he'll keep contributing.

The tough one is my caster. I'd originally envisioned him as a battlemage, using mostly low-investment CC stuff to complement the crew while occasionally bashing things himself. I got sidetracked adding more spells to his repertoire and ended up with just a few points everywhere (except huntsman). This has worked okay in that armor buffs and teleport/nether swap are good, poly skills give him something useful to do if he finds someone w/o physical armor, and pyro is just enough damage that he can help a summon take down a creature w/o much magic armor. It's fine. But in a 4-person party, "I'll give you a weak version of whatever extra thing you want this round" is not inspiring. I suppose I could circle back to battlemage by putting future points in warfare, but that will just make him a little more helpful in this okay-but-not-especially-fun role. Alternatively, I could pump pyro to make him more of a blaster. It's just a shame CC isn't what it used to be.

My double lone wolf play through so far has been way more enjoyable than my full party play through. It's just less inventory management and you just get more actions per turns and your characters get stronger faster. The biggest threat is dealing with large groups since they just get more actions than you and getting CC'ed is often the kiss of death but making one of your characters a summoner is a great way around that.

I run backstab scoundrel and utility summoner / elementalist and the game is just a murder fest.

So you think that Ranger + Conjurer is a good team for double wolf?? I think I will start over since its kinda annoying to manage 4 characters.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So you think that Ranger + Conjurer is a good team for double wolf?? I think I will start over since its kinda annoying to manage 4 characters.

Ranger is damn good I played one in my first run and using tactical retreat to get to high elevation meant I could do an insane damage dump on my turn. Plus having access to elemental arrows gives you a lot of on demand utility. Honestly any finesse character + anything that can do utility / support seems to work really well.

I think finesse might be just straight up better than strength in this game. You can do a finesse two hander build, ranged build and dual wield backstab build. You typically get less multi hit abilities but you have so much mobility. The amount you can move with 1 AP is like 4x that of a strength character. All strength characters bring is an insane amount of durability which honestly feels like overkill even on tactician.

Also lone wolf in this game is just more fun if you ask me. It's just more satisfying.

Ranger + Summoning double wolf would be easy as fuk once you get to 10+ summoning

`````
got my ranger to have 98% crit chance last night. guess it's time to pump scoundrel

Ranger is damn good I played one in my first run and using tactical retreat to get to high elevation meant I could do an insane damage dump on my turn. Plus having access to elemental arrows gives you a lot of on demand utility. Honestly any finesse character + anything that can do utility / support seems to work really well.

I think finesse might be just straight up better than strength in this game. You can do a finesse two hander build, ranged build and dual wield backstab build. You typically get less multi hit abilities but you have so much mobility. The amount you can move with 1 AP is like 4x that of a strength character. All strength characters bring is an insane amount of durability which honestly feels like overkill even on tactician.

Also lone wolf in this game is just more fun if you ask me. It's just more satisfying.

Ranger + Summoning double wolf would be easy as fuk once you get to 10+ summoning

`````
got my ranger to have 98% crit chance last night. guess it's time to pump scoundrel

Thanks for the tips. So I think I will go with Ranger + Conjurer. Seems to be a good and fun team.

;)

If i want to diversify my standard geo / pyro and hydro / air mages what would be my best approach?

Debating between necro for some physical damage vs a few pts in the opposite spell skills for additional utility. Dont want to just pump points in summoning cause it sounds kinda broken.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
If i want to diversify my standard geo / pyro and hydro / air mages what would be my best approach?

Debating between necro for some physical damage vs a few pts in the opposite spell skills for additional utility. Dont want to just pump points in summoning cause it sounds kinda broken.

So far I haven't seen Necro to be much use a specialized school of magic. It's more something that you can have a physical damage class dump some points into for some good utility spells. My 1H weapon/Shield character ends up using lots of Necro spells to help deal small amounts of magic damage or to buff/debuff my group or the enemies as the case allows.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Sheesh,
the Eternal Aetera
was the only boss I needed to clear Reaper's Coast. Just insane fight all around, with seven trillion dogs plus her cornering my team. Managed to kick her ass with charming arrows and my trusted Bone Widow, but fuck Hailstorm honestly

So far I haven't seen Necro to be much use a specialized school of magic. It's more something that you can have a physical damage class dump some points into for some good utility spells. My 1H weapon/Shield character ends up using lots of Necro spells to help deal small amounts of magic damage or to buff/debuff my group or the enemies as the case allows.

Necro's best feature is you can still heal when decaying via it, and bone spider

Top Bottom