• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I intend to crack this game like an egg. I'm talking maximum cheese. Teleporting everyone into lava, tossing heavy chests at people, stacking invincible bulbs on people with telekinesis, having NPCs kill my targets for me, the works.

I've already kind of mapped everything out in my head, and there are only 3 fights in the entire game where I can't use some manner of cheese:

Forced boat fight between chapter 1 and 2, Doll fight in the tomb, final fight (but I suspect if you kill things in a specific order you avoid the giant clusterfuck)

Lava and death fog trivialize act 2 if you really want to get down and dirty at low levels.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Sources of deathfog? I don't have an undead character to grab some during the tutorial.

You don't have to be undead to grab it quickly if you have a point telekinesis.

In act 2
Use the polymorph terrain switch ability to move lava and death around to kill the trolls, witch, Jahan, basically anyone you want to kill effortlessly.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Can i kill all the magisters in Driftwood? They're the only ones still breathing, and I can't have that

Glajummy

Neo Member
Should I switch my sword-and-board warrior to a 2H? It's my MC and I envisioned him a traditional tank character. However, because of the interaction regarding taunt/CC with physical armor, he feels useless for half of the fight. On top of that enemy AI just seems to good to fall for any baiting (never attacks me when I'm reflecting damage). Should I just drop the tank archetype and go full damage dealer/harasser?

Flaboere

Should I switch my sword-and-board warrior to a 2H? It's my MC and I envisioned him a traditional tank character. However, because of the interaction regarding taunt/CC with physical armor, he feels useless for half of the fight. On top of that enemy AI just seems to good to fall for any baiting (never attacks me when I'm reflecting damage). Should I just drop the tank archetype and go full damage dealer/harasser?

I'm playing without a propor tank, and it works quite well. I have a 2H warrior, and he rocks.

I've given both my casters shields, and that works out pretty good, they have lots of armor.

kionedrik

I just finished act 3. While it's the weakest so far in terms of questing and random enemy encounters I found it to be the most satisfying in terms story and general slaughter of whoever stood in my way.
The interaction between
Lohse
and
the Sallow Man
is quite clever. Even if you missed
the demon's name
in act 2 you can still move along your personal quest because of this unavoidable* engagement.
Can't express the satisfaction of putting
Gareth "The Emo"
down. I tried to avoid it but he left me no choice, I needed
Alexander
alive to move Ifan's story along. He eventually also got what he deserved which was also pleasent.
But the most satisfying moment was by far killing
my bitch of a god
. Enjoy death you backstabbing bastard.

It's avoidable if you find the back way into the academy which bypasses all the quests and combat.

Had to wimp out and lower difficulty to explorer which is pretty much... too easy, meanwhile on the next level I had to struggle with every single fight.

I'll see if I bump up the level after I have gotten a better hang of the systems again. Otherwise the game is just great, surprises around every corner!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So, how do you deal with the cursed revenants?

Officially: They will respawn on any cursed surface near them, so you have to clear all cursed surfaces away and kill them.

Unofficially: You sneak by and just head to the portal behind them because it's tedious as shit to deal with them.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The early game is pretty hard, it gets easier. I think I died the most in the first act. I didn't feel it was unfair though, why did you have that feeling?

I'd say the feeling of unfairness usually comes from the amount of ambush scenarios where you're flanked by archers and magic users on raised ground causing you to pretty much just reload and approach the fight in a different way.

I know you can mess with formations, but I feel like enemies almost always have the advantage in terms of placement at the beginning of a battle and the AI is such that it's often very difficult to cause enemies to group up for AoE attacks while they usually get a chance to AoE your group near the beginning off a battle, or simply because you often need to gang up on a specific enemy because they have so much HP/armor compared to your individual party member damage output.

I'm still only level 7, so things might chance, but that's definitely the impression I've got so far. I really do like the mechanics, though.

Sarcasm

Okay I am so lost in Act 2. None of the quests have markers and none of the new ones are getting markers.

I was lucky enough to find where the
eggs were for that chicken
XD

What general side is the main town?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So here is a question, why do half the scoundrel abilities not specifically say "can backstab", i went to look at daggers drawn and 5 hits for 2 source and 4 ap that can't backstab seems kinda weak.

sadblob

Okay I am so lost in Act 2. None of the quests have markers and none of the new ones are getting markers.

I was lucky enough to find where the
eggs were for that chicken
XD

What general side is the main town?

From
the chickens
, go west. It's in the bottom center.

Officially: They will respawn on any cursed surface near them, so you have to clear all cursed surfaces away and kill them.

Unofficially: You sneak by and just head to the portal behind them because it's tedious as shit to deal with them.

Thanks, did the first trick and they respawned at the northeastern corner of the building, disengaged from combat in the process. There are still lots of necrofire in that area but I'm not bothering with them. At least I can proceed with the Consulate quest. That fight with the trio + 1 was fun.

Just got to act 2, how do I get vendors on my ship post
ship fight
?

The NPCs you've met on the ship from Act 1 will still be on the ship selling some stuff. Other than that, you'll have to recruit more NPCs scattered around Act 2 map to the ship.

Pancakes

Seriously. Just sneak past them. Even 1 pixel of cursed fire will force respawns.

Is there a mod for taunt yet? I thought that would be one of the first ones made. It is completely useless as it is now.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Whew, Act 1 done. That last fight wasnt TOO bad

Seemed oddly RNG though. A few attempts both the magisters and big Void Worm would be focusing on my characters and I'd get smoked, but other times they'd fight each other enough to give me the upper hand.

KingKong

Its a little annoying how many characters turn on you on a dime. I help these people out all game long and then disagree with them once and they want to kill me

The way the scaling is done, early on at least, seems a bit counter intuitive to me.

I changed my ranger and rogue to be 2-3 points in huntsman and scoundrel respectively for skills with the rest in warfare and the damage increase vs. having most points in the actual tree is quite notable.

Just strikes me as odd that a ranger with 10 points in warfare and 3 in huntsman has better damage than one with 10 in huntsman and 3 in warfare.

I wonder if CC effects could have been better managed through an armor penetration system (where, for example, different abilities get to ignore some amount of armor) than the magic/physical armor split system we have here. You could in theory have just one armor type, but powerful effects like knockdown or charm would typically (but not always) be linked to low-penetration skills while moderate CC effects might penetrate easily, allowing for a wider range of opening gambits than "just do as much damage as possible to strip the armor, then use turn-stealing statuses to keep them down."

Then again I am only on Act 2. I can't claim to have fathomed the depths of D:OS2's combat yet. I suppose you can already get "cheap" status effects by using environmental effects, but mobility seems to beat out those effects until you get terrain transubstantiation.

I wonder if CC effects could have been better managed through an armor penetration system (where, for example, different abilities get to ignore some amount of armor) than the magic/physical armor split system we have here. You could in theory have just one armor type, but powerful effects like knockdown or charm would typically (but not always) be linked to low-penetration skills while moderate CC effects might penetrate easily, allowing for a wider range of opening gambits than "just do as much damage as possible to strip the armor, then use turn-stealing statuses to keep them down."

Then again I am only on Act 2. I can't claim to have fathomed the depths of D:OS2's combat yet. I suppose you can already get "cheap" status effects by using environmental effects, but mobility seems to beat out those effects until you get terrain transubstantiation.

That's basically what the first OS game used.

Xeteh

Despite reaching act 4 I might never finish this game. I can't stick with any playthrough, everything effective feels very bland and some of the weirder stuff seems like too much work. At this point I've played through Fort Joy so many times.

Bluth54

Had to wimp out and lower difficulty to explorer which is pretty much... too easy, meanwhile on the next level I had to struggle with every single fight.

I'll see if I bump up the level after I have gotten a better hang of the systems again. Otherwise the game is just great, surprises around every corner!

Yeah this series really needs a difficulty level between Explorer and Classic.

Yeah this series really needs a difficulty level between Explorer and Classic.

My advice for beginners is to play on explorer for the first Act, or maybe half of it to learn the ropes of the system.

After a while, most people would find the game becoming too easy. That's the time to switch to classic mode.

The game is perfectly balanced on Classic imho. Yes, some fights might still screw you up but nothing is impossible in this game.

Sullichin

I started another campaign with my friend, and now the run I was doing myself is gone in the save game files. All of the auto saves and quick saves are from the newer campaign. I guess I should have made a new profile for a new campaign? Ughh

Stevey

Just had a really long fight in the
Blackpits
, such a slog.

5FEA8F20E4A60A90D66AB9586CF3AFF40D4F7EE6

Stiler

So umm, is that Act 2 fight for
the "Love has a price" quest meant to be unwinnable? You're naked and have no armor/weapons vs like 5 enemies.

Adnor

Banned
the "Love has a price" quest meant to be unwinnable? You're naked and have no armor/weapons vs like 5 enemies.

Use the pyramids to teleport your party to the fight.

You can use
your magic pockets

Also this
while your character is in the bed you can move equipment from one inventory to you, equip it and then get up

Speely

Banned
My advice for beginners is to play on explorer for the first Act, or maybe half of it to learn the ropes of the system.

After a while, most people would find the game becoming too easy. That's the time to switch to classic mode.

The game is perfectly balanced on Classic imho. Yes, some fights might still screw you up but nothing is impossible in this game.

This is good advice for players new or somewhat new to the genre. This game is very unforgiving out the gate, and there is no shame in going in on an easier mode.

Edit: Since it's also VERY replayable (to a silly extent,) you don't lose anything by just making it easy on yourself. I did as much for my first Act 1 playthrough. Had loads of fun. Now Classic is a lot more fun for me.

Flaboere

You can bring up the rest of your party as soon as the fight starts. However. saving the
prostitute
seems impossible.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

If you send Ifan up with her the crooks recognize him as a master assassin and GTFO without a fight.

I just finished act 3. While it's the weakest so far in terms of questing and random enemy encounters I found it to be the most satisfying in terms story and general slaughter of whoever stood in my way.
The interaction between
Lohse
and
the Sallow Man
is quite clever. Even if you missed
the demon's name
in act 2 you can still move along your personal quest because of this unavoidable* engagement.
Can't express the satisfaction of putting
Gareth "The Emo"
down. I tried to avoid it but he left me no choice, I needed
Alexander
alive to move Ifan's story along. He eventually also got what he deserved which was also pleasent.
But the most satisfying moment was by far killing
my bitch of a god
. Enjoy death you backstabbing bastard.

It's avoidable if you find the back way into the academy which bypasses all the quests and combat.

lol you actually killed him?
even if you don't he dies anyway by act 4
just saying

also your
god
even? man you cruel

when i start over i think i'm just going to skip Act 1 and just respec everyone to new things in Act 2 do the rest of the game that way

when i start over i think i'm just going to skip Act 1 and just respec everyone to new things in Act 2 do the rest of the game that way

What exactly do you mean by this out of interest? Can you respec companions or are you speaking about when they first join your party and you are able to pick what they do.

Probably a silly question.

What exactly do you mean by this out of interest? Can you respec companions or are you speaking about when they first join your party and you are able to pick what they do.

Probably a silly question.

it's a Act 2 thing
and you can basically go back to Character selection process for everyone in your party

also i hate daggers and i pigeon holed one of my people with it by a act 4 thing

Orcastar

Just had a really long fight in the
Blackpits
, such a slog.

5FEA8F20E4A60A90D66AB9586CF3AFF40D4F7EE6

How do you have two source points? What level are you? I just reached this part last night and saved just before the battle. I'm thinking that I must have missed something since I'm only level 12 and the boss is level 14.

Leezard

How do you have two source points? What level are you? I just reached this part last night and saved just before the battle. I'm thinking that I must have missed something since I'm only level 12 and the boss is level 14.

There are a lot of quests in Act 2 where you can
get more source points.
. Just explore more.

If you ever found yourself under-leveled, it means that you're not supposed to encounter that place yet.

It's certainly still possible but will be harder. Also, you'll over-level the other content on the map later.

The enemy placement on the map is designed with 'designated paths' in this kind of games.

ChazGW7

Took us 24 hours of playtime but me and 3 of my friends finally made it off the tutorial island and onto the ship... This is gonna be a long ride.

Top Bottom