• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
fucking sick of persuasion failure everywhere. SICKK

It's misleading when it gives you strength or wits or w/e. It's still mostly based on your persuasion level. Just find an amulet that gives the skill and make someone the dialogue person.

Santiako

If I meet all the companions in and around fort joy how do I swap them in and out of my party over the game?

Do I need to come back to where I originally met them each time? Seems like I need to pick 3 and stick with them.

Pick 3 and stick with them. You can't swap any more after the first act is over.

No worries. I went with Ifan as my main character (ranger/warfare), Lohse (summoner/hydro/aero), Red Prince (warfare/poly) and Sebille (Fire/Geo/Necro).

A follow on question; am I able to change their combat orientation after the first option when I initially meet them? If I could switch around what they do I think I'd bring along some I wouldnt ATM.

Stevey

Made it to Act 3 after 65 hours and now it seems to be giving me the choice of whose side I want to be on.
Decided to wage war on
The Black Ring

Lingitiz

This is such an up and down experience for me. At one moment I'm loving the amount of options and the incredible world they've built, but then they throw encounters like the one at the Blackpits at you. Fights like these aren't fun, they're just long unenjoyable slogs of ridiculous hordes of enemies with annoying status effects on every turn. It bums me out to hate these fights so much because I want to love this game so badly.

Renekton

This is such an up and down experience for me. At one moment I'm loving the amount of options and the incredible world they've built, but then they throw encounters like the one at the Blackpits at you. Fights like these aren't fun.
Blackpits was quick and painless for me (classic). Just Hydro spells, protection dome and bless.

Made it to Act 3 after 65 hours and now it seems to be giving me the choice of whose side I want to be on.
Decided to wage war on
The Black Ring

tenor.gif

This is such an up and down experience for me. At one moment I'm loving the amount of options and the incredible world they've built, but then they throw encounters like the one at the Blackpits at you. Fights like these aren't fun.

From my experience, there are fights that test your wits, while there are also fights that test your endurance.

I believe the Blackpit fight falls to the latter category.

Stevey

I dunno, I had some
Magister
guy with me that I apparently saved in Act 1, then a
Black Ring
guy appeared with a terrible accent so I just killed him and his friends that were in a skirmish.
Itl probably come back to bite me on the ass but whatever.

Renekton

Got a question about Shadow Prince.

Does he
serve Godking, demon or some other dark master? Or is he genuinely concerned about the general health of the realm?

I dunno, I had some
Magister
guy with me that I apparently saved in Act 1, then a
Black Ring
guy appeared with a terrible accent so I just killed him and his friends that were in a skirmish.
Itl probably come back to bite me on the ass but whatever.

I badly misread your post. I thought you're siding with them lol. Good.

Got a question about Shadow Prince.

Does he
serve Godking, demon or some other dark master? Or is he genuinely concerned about the general health of the realm?

I believe it's the latter. He's a cool guy, actually.

I badly misread your post. I thought you're siding with them lol. Good.

I believe it's the latter. He's a cool guy, actually.

I had your exact but why response in mind when I thought you actually
sided with the Black Ring
, lol.

And I agree about the Shadow Prince
, I still killed him though.

Arulan

I've finally made it to Act II after ~100 hours. I haven't found Tactician too difficult yet. It is a good challenge though. On a few of the tougher fights I did lose once or twice, but a lot of them really come down to being creative with the mechanics, and good positioning.

I loved the setup for Fort Joy. Having to
find a way to escape while under the eyes of your captors
really encourages the player to be creative and rewards exploration. Teleportation is so much fun.

The animal voice overs never cease to amaze me.

Reivaxe

Oh fuck this blackpits fight ....

Shit's making me feel like I should respec my ninja as a ranger cause "lol, would be nice if SOMEONE could attack her outside of melee range seeing as she one shots my mage in the first turn..."

And even though half my team is taken out before they can do anything I can STILL kill her
... but for some reason her summons stay >_>

Oh fuck this blackpits fight ....

Shit's making me feel like I should respec my ninja as a ranger cause "lol, would be nice if SOMEONE could attack her outside of melee range seeing as she one shots my mage in the first turn..."

You can try to position your party before
opening the coffin
so your tank is directly facing
Aeterna
and (hopefully) takes the hits.

Reivaxe

You can try to position your party before
opening the coffin
so your tank is directly facing
Aeterna
and (hopefully) takes the hits.

My tank is my summoner ... which means she's also one of my main sources of dmg via her summon.
Been letting Fane open it cause of his story as I have everyone else top side.
Guess I'll try that though.

Arkkoran

Unconfirmed Member
I doubt anyone else here cares but question anyway about a certain achievement:

I finally beat the game today. Very much enjoyed it! Ifan was in my party,
and I noticed he has achievements for forgiving and killing Lucian, however no matter what I picked these would not unlock. Is this something that is only obtainable if the player character is Ifan? Anyone else here know?

Stiler

fucking sick of persuasion failure everywhere. SICKK

You should be maxing each party member in one area for civil skills, don't try to make one character do multiple things, there's way too few points for that after you get out of act 1 and the check gets higher for each of them.

One character should be for persuasion (I'd recommend this for your main character, since you will be doing most dialogue with them), another for bartering, one for thievery, and the other Loremaster for identifying items.

Also keep in mind, if you are using the pre-made companions some of them come with a boost to one or the other, so just check which one they have boosted and go with that one so you'll have an advantage in it.

Elven_Star

You should be maxing each party member in one area for civil skills, don't try to make one character do multiple things, there's way too few points for that after you get out of act 1 and the check gets higher for each of them.

One character should be for persuasion (I'd recommend this for your main character, since you will be doing most dialogue with them), another for bartering, one for thievery, and the other Loremaster for identifying items.

Also keep in mind, if you are using the pre-made companions some of them come with a boost to one or the other, so just check which one they have boosted and go with that one so you'll have an advantage in it.

What if you're running a double lone wolf party? Constantly teleporting other party members in and out (not to mention traveling from the waypoint to your party's location) becomes really frustrating. I already have to do that to open coffins and whatnot (needs high Strength), because my two main characters are Finesse and Intelligence based.

Stiler

What if you're running a double lone wolf party? Constantly teleporting other party members in and out (not to mention traveling from the waypoint to your party's location) becomes really frustrating. I already have to do that to open coffins and whatnot (needs high Strength), because my two main characters are Finesse and Intelligence based.

In that case what I'd suggest is focusing on persuasion for your main character and then getting some items with + to different civil abilities on them and hold on to them so you can throw them on your other character when you want to open a lock or want to buy/sell items.

Reivaxe

Finally brute forced my way through the black pits fight. Had to let 3 people die for it and after doing that to get the final hit on her I was ready to restart but decided to see how annoying my ninja could be.

my ninja played keep away with webs until I could rez the summoner safely :/

Elven_Star

In that case what I'd suggest is focusing on persuasion for your main character and then getting some items with + to different civil abilities on them and hold on to them so you can throw them on your other character when you want to open a lock or want to buy/sell items.

I might respec and get rid of bartering altogether. There are so many items to sell that the price doesn't really matter, and I don't even steal. I'm playing on Explorer, though.

Beepos

I love RPGS but can't stand parties. I read that you can play with a solo wolf trait that let's you play essentially without party members. I know I'll miss out on story opportunities, but is it doable without being stupidly hard?

Kuosi

I love RPGS but can't stand parties. I read that you can play with a solo wolf trait that let's you play essentially without party members. I know I'll miss out on story opportunities, but is it doable without being stupidly hard?

doable for sure

Renekton

With the right builds, 2 lone wolves can be much stronger than a party of 4.

With the right builds, 2 lone wolves can be much stronger than a party of 4.

Yep, I am playing with 2 lone wolves and I am really enjoying it.
I have Ifan (Summ/Necro/Geo) and Sebile (Ranger/Warfare). I am almost done with act 1 and so far haven't died or reloaded any fight. I have both of them with Teleportation and Tactical Retreat. Most of the fights I dont even lose my armors.I know its only act 1 and Classic difficulty, but I heard a lot of people here having trouble at the beginning, so....

red731

Hello.

About to buy this and for now play with gamepad, DS4 (until I can sit again in front of PC) - anyone else playing this way?

Is the UI scaleable? Will play in 1080 on 40" TV

Is Loremaster really a worthwhile civil skill? It's not that expensive to pay a merchant to identify items for you. Sure, you have to go back to town to do it, but that's maybe a five-minute diversion at most? And I suppose the all the identifying costs do add up over time, but civil points are so rare that it seems hard to justify loremaster over, say, a second thief to do more stealing or a second persuasion character for situations where that character gets approached by NPCs.

Is Loremaster really a worthwhile civil skill? It's not that expensive to pay a merchant to identify items for you. Sure, you have to go back to town to do it, but that's maybe a five-minute diversion at most? And I suppose the all the identifying costs do add up over time, but civil points are so rare that it seems hard to justify loremaster over, say, a second thief to do more stealing or a second persuasion character for situations where that character gets approached by NPCs.

You can also cheese it. Accumulate some unidentified items, go to Lady Vengeance and temporarily respec into loremaster. Then switch back.

Guys what is a nice party composition for a newbie? I thought of going with human death knight (ibn guy with knight and some necromancy) what do you recommend the other party members to be? Playing Classic but pretty newb

Lanrutcon

Guys what is a nice party composition for a newbie? I thought of going with human death knight (ibn guy with knight and some necromancy) what do you recommend the other party members to be? Playing Classic but pretty newb

ShadowBlade or Knight, Enchanter, Wizard, Ranger.

Pretty standard, all bases covered.

Just finished the game last night. Really enjoyed the story and took me about 60 hours on standard difficulty. I definitely only did 30-40% of the side quests at most.

Played with a custom character and the story worked fine for what it was. Definitely interested in maybe a 2nd playthrough with 2-3 of the premades and see how their stories shake out.

Just finished the game last night. Really enjoyed the story and took me about 60 hours on standard difficulty. I definitely only did 30-40% of the side quests at most.

Played with a custom character and the story worked fine for what it was. Definitely interested in maybe a 2nd playthrough with 2-3 of the premades and see how their stories shake out.

I am at 60 hours and still sitting in act 2 lol...but I am almost done I think. I have been doing everything that I can find though. My first CRPG really so I don't mind being a little over leveled.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I am at 60 hours and still sitting in act 2 lol...but I am almost done I think. I have been doing everything that I can find though. My first CRPG really so I don't mind being a little over leveled.

I'm at 110 hours and still in beginning of act 2! Don't get how people are finishing it in 60 hours!

KorrZ

I'm at the end of act 1. Is it pointless to buy a lot of skill books? Do they become obsolete as you level and get stronger spells?

Some of the best skills are the earlier ones. It's pretty much never bad to have more skill books. You'll just be limited by your memory slots early on.

Top Bottom