• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

This also works with chests, so the stock available will be different whether you opened a chest before or not, basically the same principle as vendors (I think some simple containers works as well, but not all of them). I had to limit myself to just a few reloads, cuz it was really time consuming and the possibilities are endless.

Yeah, I noticed that as well but I don't really bother with chests.

So just met
Jahan
Is that my former party member from the first game?

Yes, he is.

Hugo.Liu

Neo Member
Heard a lot fo good things about OS2, how does it's story compare to torment tides of numenera? A good story alone is good enough for me to pick up the game.

Loam

So, regarding some weirdness in the finale:
Is there supposed to be dialog/combat for betraying Lucian in the final fight? I sided with him at the start agreeing to purge all source and seal the void, however after the battle against Braccus Rex I'm still given the choice to do whatever I want. I ended up having my character become the next divine with both Lucian and Dallas alive and neither of them said a thing or made any effort to stop it. The game also didn't acknowledge this at all during the ending, which seems like a sort of odd considering their story and motivations.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Ugh. Between cursed fire revenants, enemies in 'the death room' (Minor, minor act 4 spoilers)
the dolls
and even some of the sidequest scenarios
Red Prince in the consulate
, having enemies that don't 'die' conventionally, and just otherwise keep respawning is really lessening my enjoyment of Act 4.

I figured out what to do in each scenario, but fighting the controls and the long cooldowns to get to there is not fun - especially in the Death Room.

The best way is to try and abuse combat 'pausing' 2 or 3 of my team while the other 2 sneak LoS and do whatever they need to. But then sometimes sneak inexplicably fails....

A good story alone is good enough for me to pick up the game.

Story's definitely better than the first game (that one bored me), and has me pretty engaged - the VA for the origin companions is really good, and they intertwine with the greater plot really well.

Main plot is a bit out there, but not too bad.

Ugh. Between cursed fire revenants, enemies in 'the death room' (Minor, minor act 4 spoilers)
the dolls
, having enemies that don't 'die' conventionally, and just otherwise keep respawning is really lessening my enjoyment of Act 4.

I figured out what to do in each scenario, but fighting the controls and the long cooldowns to get to there is not fun - especially in the Death Room.

The best way is to try and abuse combat 'pausing' 2 or 3 of my team while the other 2 sneak LoS and do whatever they need to. But then sometimes sneak inexplicably fails....

Take the source out of the dolls for an easy victory. The consulate fight was quite easy. Just ignore them and focus on the mirrors. As for the cursed revenants, yeah that was quite a headache for me too.

So got the respec option in Act 2. Need help picking out talents. What are must haves for mages? Far out? Hothead and the one that lets spells crit seem solid?

How bout for dual wielding rogues? Or dual wielding warriors?

Flaboere

the dolls

Story's definitely better than the first game (that one bored me), and has me pretty engaged - the VA for the origin companions is really good, and they intertwine with the greater plot really well.

Main plot is a bit out there, but not too bad.

I hated those fights myself - looked it up on the internet, and there's very easy ways to do them.
The Mirror fight, you can have a caster use Split Earth without moving from the start to take out the mirrors before the fight even begins. As someone else said, the puppets you can 1-shot with Source Vampirism.

So got the respec option in Act 2. Need help picking out talents. What are must haves for mages? Far out? Hothead and the one that lets spells crit seem solid?

How bout for dual wielding rogues? Or dual wielding warriors?

For mages elemental Affinity is great, its a lot better than the first. Mages have high magic armour so they can stand in fire, poison etc without suffering much.

Okay im gonna pick up this game now. But is anyone playing with a controller? Is the experience any good?

I'm looking to play this on the harder difficulty but I never really played the first game. Just want a fun and challenging game I can play on the couch after work and stuff. But I didn't want to hinder myself with a controller if it's not effective with whatever the hard difficulty is called where a KBM would be better.

i play with a controller. I prefer playing non shooters with a controller. the only shitty thing is item management and sometimes trying to click on a specific thing. oh, also sometimes you lose where the controller cursor indicator is. other than that tho, its gravy.

oh and the constant scrolling bug which requires me to unplug and plug back in my controller.

kionedrik

Genuinely curious what you guys found difficult about the death room fight. That thing can literally be done in 1 turn.

Regarding the last fight, I had my share of problems with it till I figured out you had to pull a Revenge of the Sith move* and focus on a single enemy.

just get to higher ground, preferably one guy on each platform.

Sarcasm

Check the vendors, they refresh their wares every hour or every time you level up.

You can also savescum the vendors' item by saving before talking to them for the first time (after refresh). The refresh system is quite complicated. For example there are 3 vendors. If you talk to vendor A first, it'll have 'set A item' for sale. If you talk to vendor B first, then you talk to vendor A after that, it'll have 'set B item', and so on. For example, in 'set A item' they have 2 legendary gears, while in 'set B item' they only have 1, and in 'set C item' they might even have a divine gear. It doesn't stop there. The stats and bonus of each set item is randomized when you talk to them for the first time.

This is the main reason why I needed almost 120 hours to finish the game.

This also works with chests, so the stock available will be different whether you opened a chest before or not, basically the same principle as vendors (I think some simple containers works as well, but not all of them). I had to limit myself to just a few reloads, cuz it was really time consuming and the possibilities are endless.

Uh. You can do that? I thought they only refreshed if the highest level party member you have gains a level.

They restock every hour or every level up.

That is what I am referring to.

Flaboere

Gods, finally done! I ended up doing the final fight on Explorer, and don't regret it. I have no idea how i'd ever have done that fight on Classic, as I had to first kill
Braccus, then Lucian and his entire gang.

Ignore the summons and focus on the boss (or the sub-one).

It's impossible, there's too much CC from the mobs and too fucking much damage from that kraken cunt. Can't survive this much bullshit from enemies. And the mobs just respawn even before they are dead too.

Too much fucking cheating from the AI. Fuck that i will cheat too then.

Lanrutcon

Gods, finally done! I ended up doing the final fight on Explorer, and don't regret it. I have no idea how i'd ever have done that fight on Classic, as I had to first kill
Braccus, then Lucian and his entire gang.

You teleport group A to group B and then patch up and regroup while they duke it out.

Lanrutcon

Well you are SoL if you can't do that when you enter the fight, and you have to replay hours of the game then.

Well, lemme relate to you my experience.

Enter fight, drop an Arrowstorm on B, next fight kicks off with both enemy groups at full strength. Super.

Both my Rangers get insta targeted. 1 gets CC'd (killed next round), other gets killed, all before I get an action.

My casters regroup under a protection dome and use every buff they can. Both are sitting at around 8k magical and physical armor.

The enemies dogpile onto my casters in unison, and it's all I can do to stay alive.

What followed was a shitload of trying to survive and teleporting enemies next to other until I got a break to rez a Ranger, Arrow Storm B again, and then the fight got managable.

J4g3r

Act 5 - Arx

I was having some issues with the quest "The Consulate" last night, any help appreciated:

Is there a way to prevent the Red Princess from attacking you if you don't have the Red Prince in your party?

She's accusing me of killing the dreamers when I didn't, feels like a bug.

EDIT: I have Swornbreaker in my inventory and have used Fane's mask to transform into a lizard - Still no dice.

Vengal

Final Fight- Arx Spoiler Talk:

There is something intensely satisfying about using deathfog on Lucian.
Im also confused why it even works on him considering it doesn't work on Baccus.
The Kraken was annoying but between arrow storm and arrow spray it never really got a chance to do much.

So first run is done and some thoughts.

I think the origin character source skills kinda suck, especially in compared to the custom character circle of protection. This may largely depend on what you've got going on as my custom character was a 2hand warrior and I mainly used 2 SP skills leaving one open to drop the bubble on my ranged guys.

I am curious about several ending possibilities and probably will do a pure evil run at some point.

Sygma

How dafuq did you guys even beat Tactician Mode fights?

Basically I have to pull lots of barrel cheese, drag enemies to NPCs, rob everyone blind, min-max the sht out of party skills and gear, refresh vendor... and still get my ass kicked.

Don't know the game was pretty easy outside
the voidwoken fight close to the burning pigs in act 1 - this one made my brain burn - , the boat fight between act 1 and 2, and then the sudden difficulty spike in act 4 with that motherfucker in the sewers. Also, the dream fight
but then again I played in lone wolf mode with a 2H / Pyro / Poly (its stupid good) and a summoner - necro - pyro so had to be a little bit creative there (I swapped between incarnate and bone widow basically to keep npcs busy)

Basically from the middle of act 2 when you get source vampirism the game becomes simple since you can profit of your source skills in every single fight, without ever running out of source points if you don't kill people with elemental damage

Nyx

Yay, it took me around 20 tries but I finally beat the first
Arena
fight in Fort Joy. Had just 1 team member alive and barely.

This is what, the 2nd or 3rd fight in the game? Way too hard imo, wonder how many new players gave up already because of this.

Arena

This is what, the 2nd or 3rd fight in the game? Way too hard imo, wonder how many new players gave up already because of this.

I died twice on that fight and then went around Fort Joy doing some other fights (
frogs,
crocodiles, Migo, dreamer, gambling dudes, the assassins
) and then the one you mentioned became a cakewalk. Wiping out everyone in the
"castle"?
after that was also a breeze.

The swamp is absolutely destroying me right now, though, no matter which way I turn.

Maybe going back and picking a fight with
Griff
would be enough to get me another level before going any deeper.

Controller is great for the most part. Can get a bit cumbersome managing lots of items in the inventory but that's not that big of an issue.

i play with a controller. I prefer playing non shooters with a controller. the only shitty thing is item management and sometimes trying to click on a specific thing. oh, also sometimes you lose where the controller cursor indicator is. other than that tho, its gravy.

oh and the constant scrolling bug which requires me to unplug and plug back in my controller.

Awesome. Thanks for the feedback!

Arena

So probably your lvl was too low.
When I first entered there I was destroyed because I was 1 lvl lower than the enemy. Then I just left, lvled up, bought some gear and skills. Then I won in my first try.
If you feel that some fights are too difficult, just leave and come back later after you lvl up or get some new gear.

Nyx

So probably your lvl was too low.
When I first entered there I was destroyed because I was 1 lvl lower than the enemy. Then I just left, lvled up, bought some gear and skills. Then I won in my first try.
If you feel that some fights are too difficult, just leave and come back later after you lvl up or get some new gear.

Level 3, which was the needed lvl according to some guide I looked up. Perhaps my gear was the problem cause I haven't found many upgrades yet.

Funny thing is, the next fight I tried
Houndmaster in the prison
seems impossible again..

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I haven't gotten a chance to play this since launch.

Did they fix Five Star Diner yet? IIRC it says it doubles the effects of food and potions, but it only affected food at launch.

Regarding killing characters to steal their loot in act I:
If I kill Gareth and all the vendors in Amadia's Sancturay before leaving the island, is there any consequence? They have a lot of skill books I'd like to keep and I've stolen as much as I can. :D

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
If I kill Gareth and all the vendors in Amadia's Sancturay before leaving the island, is there any consequence? They have a lot of skill books I'd like to keep and I've stolen as much as I can. :D

Go for it! Make decisions and stick with them!

Lanrutcon

Well, yeah.

Some characters actually stick with you through the game. If you kill em in act 2, you miss their quests and contributions in act 3 and 4.

JohnCYQ

Been doing some tests with how loot and lucky charm interacts, should be interesting once I bother to record down all the info and results.

The basics of it are:
> There is some kind of a counter system in place for how lucky charm 'procs'. You can not simply savescum and open the same box multiple times and expect it to eventually proc.
> Each lootable box/barrel/chest/coffin etc adds a `count` that moves the counter along.
> Moving or picking up an barrel/crate/chest counts as 'looting' it for the purpose of lucky charm. Looting a moved object therefore does not further move the counter along. Loot content is also fixed once you do this.
> It seems like there are some grouping mechanics involved with the lootable items. For example, in this particular area that I am testing lucky charm (lvl 3), there is a set of 4 coffins placed right beside 3 vases. From my current savepoint, if I loot a nearby sack, my subsequent loot will be a lucky charm proc, followed by an empty loot, followed by another lucky charm proc (not always, but I will get to that later).

zj7cEnK.jpg

- If I loot the coffins, (Loot sack > coffin1 > coffin2 > coffin3) I always get an uncommon Magical Leather Boots (coffin1) as the first item, followed by an uncommon Smooth Belt (coffin1).
- If I loot the vases (Loot sack > vase1 > vase2 > vase3), my first item will always be an uncommon Elegant Ring (vase1), followed by an uncommon Magical Helmet (vase3).
- However, if I were to try and 'mix up' by looting one group into the other, the results change. (Loot sack > coffin1) then going into ( > vase1>vase2) does not produce the 2nd lucky charm proc, in fact it ends up delaying it until you loot everything in that particular area (Loot sack > coffin1 [1st LC] > vase1 > vase2 > vase3 > coffin2> coffin3 > coffin4 [2nd LC]. The 2nd lucky charm gave me an uncommon Autumn Ring, completely different from the previous loot table.
- The reverse actually changed the results even more drastically. (Loot sack > vase1 [1st LC] > coffin 1 > coffin2 > coffin3 > coffin4 > vase2 > vase3) lead to not having a 2nd LC proc until I had looted an additional 4 items (3 more vase + LC proc in some closet. It was an uncommon Magical Helmet)
- The counter persists even in other areas as well. For example, when I loot the sack and then go to the Arena inside the kitchen area and loot a vase, I will still get the LC proc on the very first one. However, I end up not getting a 2nd LC proc even after looting an additional 7 vases in the arena.

Elven_Star

Act 2 spoilers:

Is there a limit for how many source points you can get? I did Hannag's quest, and she didn't even offer to teach me the stuff.

Vengal

Anyone have not too spoilery comments on Ifan and Beasts' stories? I've seen the others at least as companions and only felt strongly about Prince and Loshe. I enjoyed playing Fane as my MC but not sure how much impact it would have as a companion.

Anyone have not too spoilery comments on Ifan and Beasts' stories? I've seen the others at least as companions and only felt strongly about Prince and Loshe. I enjoyed playing Fane as my MC but not sure how much impact it would have as a companion.

Ifan's has been pretty good. Through the end of Act 2, he has had the closest connection of my companions to the central story.

No real comments on Beast yet. I suspect his story picks up later in the game.

How the skill "spread your wings" works with Flight?? Does it takes two memory slots?

How is Flight compared to Tactical Retreat? Does it have the same range?

Vengal

How the skill "spread your wings" works with Flight?? Does it takes two memory slots?

It takes one memory slot but will take 2 action bar slots. When you use spread your wings you gain a new skill for the duration of take your wings.

Sarcasm

The flight ability it gives you doesn't require a memory slot. Just make sure you have an open slot on your action bar. It shows up in your skill pane to if you activated it and show it.

I have flight on my 2H and its great. He also has a few other mobility. I don't know the difference between tactical retreat as I use it on my ranger, they seem the same besides the fact that:

Spread your wings (that grants flight ) has a 6 turn cool down but the flight ability itself has a 1 turn cooldown and lasts 3 turns, so you can use it three times before it goes away meaning that spread your wing has a 3 turn cooldown (can't use it).

Tactical Retreat has a 4 turn cooldown. Grants haste on use.

I can't tell you much about range of both but I think they are similar except that flight technically has a shorter cooldown and retreat grants haste for 1 turn.

Vengal

I vastly prefer Tactical retreat. It costs less AP and gives haster for 1 turn.

Why not both .gif?

There are times where having float is amazing especially if you're playing a melee and your mages are making the world a wasteland.

Wings give you float on movement.

Sarcasm

Okay I got a question which one to use, (A) weapon that has your damage at 546 - 572 with a crit chance of 30% or (B) weapon that does 523 - 581 with a crit chance of 10%

Also how screwed am I on dual lone wolf tactician with no teleport for black pits?

If I meet all the companions in and around fort joy how do I swap them in and out of my party over the game?

Do I need to come back to where I originally met them each time? Seems like I need to pick 3 and stick with them.

Top Bottom