• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
The game is on its way to reach 1 mill sold before the end of the year

743,284 ±25,252

+ 100k on GOG (maybe)

Amazing

Well deserved, I've done my part and gifted the game to two friends. Should probably get the OST with the goodies on GoG too.

Labadal

Anybody else have thoughts on this for someone who hasn't played the first?
They both have their merits. I prefer the first game when it comes to encounter design, exploration and I do like that it didn't have the armor system of Divinity 2. I also prefer how turn order was calculated in the first game. How AP works in combat was also better implemented in the first. Environments were more varied, too.

I would rate the first game slightly higher, but if you're a fan of these types of games, you have to give both games a shot.

Sanctuary

I've been doing a co-op game. Our team is a sword and board tank Red Prince, 2-hand paladin Ifan, Sebille ranger, Lohse cleric. Taunting is useless, and buffing your own armor acts like an aggro dump because the AI doesn't like to hit hard targets, but there are other abilities like Bouncing Shield, Overpower and Guardian Angel that do a bit of work.

Both of which are late, to very late game. Bouncing Shield is "good" when it can hit more than a single target. Otherwise, the best use for it is in a split damage group where you need your casters to help finish off some physical armor. Bouncing Shield is the best skill for doing this, and greatly outperforms what you can do with Necromancy. Keeping a shield on Warriors just makes it take longer to get through their defenses, but it mostly adds physical (which they don't have an issue with generally in the first place). It also just makes you take a lot longer to finish anything off too.

edit: If you aren't struggling, then whatever you're doing is going to work fine. Just saying that shields for the most part are better for casters that have much lower physical armor in general. It's certainly more useful than a second wand for a long time. The only time this actually becomes questionable is when using an Elf. You need to raise your CON quite a bit higher to use the same shields everyone else is using, or simply forgo using Flesh Sacrifice (which kind of defeats the purpose of picking Elf in the first place).

Yeah the last time I did that fight I had two lone wolf archers. We did not have the physical armor to take those wolf attacks (3 hits and each hit does almost 400 damage? Come on) and her initiative is straight up BS considering her stats. (I had 12 higher wits and still went after her only afterwards I left and leveled when that number jumped to around 18 higher did I finally go first).

The thing is that fight pretty much forces one person right in the middle of the wolves. If you have a companion tank that works fine but if you rely on a summon for tanking which I did that becomes an issue.

Yes she summons those two adds immediately than nukes with a hailstorm or thunderstorm on tactical.

Quite a few boss fights seem hard-coded to not give a shit about your initiative. They go first, so fuck you, that's why! This is especially annoying on the encounters where the boss either changes forms or summons a bunch of new enemies, because it actually bumps your highest initiative character into round two without even getting their first turn.

Also, that annoying combo that you said happens on Tactician also happens on Classic. It never happened to me, but it was spacing dependent. Saw someone doing that fight on Classic and the boss tore through them with that combo, which had people asking what difficulty the person was playing on.

I'm near the end of act 3, and I've loved every minute of the game, but I am fearing going to Act 4. I peter out on games past the 100 hour mark, and I'm at 110 now. I start skipping loot and stop improving my characters carefully and then end up under prepared for the last fights. I don't know if I should just try to barrel through and waste Act 4 or quit now and maybe never return.

Act 4 is pretty short. The most time consuming thing about it was the obtuse way to progress through the main quest. No idea how the recent patch changed that though, but it was supposed to have helped. So you have maybe 5-10 hours left.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Quite a few boss fights seem hard-coded to not give a shit about your initiative. They go first, so fuck you, that's why! This is especially annoying on the encounters where the boss either changes forms or summons a bunch of new enemies, because it actually bumps your highest initiative character into round two without even getting their first turn

Yep, this is the HUGE issue I have with combat.

There's so many times where enemy prio should be below mine, but their whole 'team' suddenly gets to go first. It's a major waste of the wits stat.

Ryzaki009

Quite a few boss fights seem hard-coded to not give a shit about your initiative. They go first, so fuck you, that's why! This is especially annoying on the encounters where the boss either changes forms or summons a bunch of new enemies, because it actually bumps your highest initiative character into round two without even getting their first turn.

Also, that annoying combo that you said happens on Tactician also happens on Classic. It never happened to me, but it was spacing dependent. Saw someone doing that fight on Classic and the boss tore through them with that combo, which had people asking what difficulty the person was playing on.

Act 4 is pretty short. The most time consuming thing about it was the obtuse way to progress through the main quest. No idea how the recent patch changed that though, but it was supposed to have helped. So you have maybe 5-10 hours left.

Seriously and it's such bs for me to look at their wits and then be like "wtf?!?" And my god that's so rage inducing. Especially when I need my archer to take out the highest damage dealing targets or they'll kill him. The only way to fix that I've found is to have the highest initiative character just hit them out of combat (if possible) for some reason that seems to correct it and they can go first. Which is stupid at best but what can you do. Like I had my characters on two different sides of the room and she blew up my main dps archer with that.

743,284 ±25,252

+ 100k on GOG (maybe)

Amazing

after spending more time with this game. This is so well deserved. It needs to sell. After playing Cuphead, I felt like that would be my game of the year, but nope, it's divinity. Spent about 50+ hours and I just left Fort Joy yesterday. WHAT THE FUCK....this game!

So I am in Act 3
(I assume - it's on the island where you ascend to divinity) and my non origin character hasn't convinced a couple of people to support him so they have buggered off. After over 120 hours developing them it seems it's down to persuasion as to whether they support you and stick around. I may redo that section and try another approach so I can actually finish their questlines as I will feel I am missing out.
Anyone else have this issue?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Act II Lohse

Is there a way to advance Lohse's quest without killing The Advocate?

It should be, in act 3

Jahan doesn't do much to help. You find out the demon's name from one of the bosses

Flaboere

Any tips for the end fight? I'm fighting
everyone, it seems. Although at 2nd fase, when Braccus summons the worm, Lucian and his guys seems to fight Braccus. Do I have to kill everyone, or just Braccus to win? I've read about the "anathema" but I never got that, don't know exactly what it is.

The fight is simply just way too stacked against me, hoping it will be enough to kill Braccus.

sadblob

everyone, it seems. Although at 2nd fase, when Braccus summons the worm, Lucian and his guys seems to fight Braccus. Do I have to kill everyone, or just Braccus to win? I've read about the "anathema" but I never got that, don't know exactly what it is.

The fight is simply just way too stacked against me, hoping it will be enough to kill Braccus.

Yes, killing only Braccus is enough. The anathema is just an OP sword (with 1 durability) you get from doing Tarquis' quest in Act 2.

Lanrutcon

Killing B removes most of the opposition that's soulbound to him. They're his summons, so to speak.

You want to fight from the south of the map. Teleport L to B and hope they start duking it out and buy you some time. Then use your hardest hitting source abilities on B. Once that's done, the fight should become a hell of a lot more manageable.

It's a clusterfuck.

Elven_Star

Act 2 spoilers:

What happens if you let Reimond get away?
Also, where's Hannag's apprentice?
I saved the family, but dunno where to go from there.

Act 2 spoilers:

What happens if you let Reimond get away?
Also, where's Hannag's apprentice?
I saved the family, but dunno where to go from there.

Hannag's apprentice is
in the Black Pits, behind the guarded gate. There should be a platform with a guy and a White Magister.

It should be, in act 3

Jahan doesn't do much to help. You find out the demon's name from one of the bosses

Thanks!

Labadal

I completed act 3. My least favorite act so far. Since level 7, and the last fight in act 1, the game has been a cakewalk, more or less. I've used up a couple of resurrection scrolls, but that's it. As long as you keep yourself up to date with armor and weapons, you'll do fine. I still dislike the armor system for the game, but at least I can get rid of enemy armor very quickly.

z1ggy

About the final fight

So i went agaisnt everyone. When Braccus Rex summons Kraken...Kraken takes like 1 to 5 min to do something, what the fuck

Also, the fight itself is kinda BS as well

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is there some way to get the drop on enemies? Every combat encounter starts with an enemy or two going before my party.

So last fight in this game?

Where you get teleported to this "hall of echoes" area and where there is this Kraken fuck.

How the fuck are you supposed to do that?

Too many "boss" mobs and too fucking much damage and AOE damage going on.

743,284 ±25,252

+ 100k on GOG (maybe)

Amazing

When SteamSpy number was 350k, Larian announced 500k sales so GOG was already 150k at the time.

I'm guessing it has already reached ~900k sales as we speak, and we'll see the 1 million announcement anytime soon now.

Alric

I sort of wish mages could do physical damage with more than just necromancy. Some earth spells at least would of been great to do physical damage.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
So, do I kill
Lohse and Fane (the two companions I left behind) while racing to the Well of Ascension?
They hate me and I could survive their attacks with ease while the chosen one gets to the objective, but I'm afraid of the consequences if I eliminate these two

Okay im gonna pick up this game now. But is anyone playing with a controller? Is the experience any good?

I'm looking to play this on the harder difficulty but I never really played the first game. Just want a fun and challenging game I can play on the couch after work and stuff. But I didn't want to hinder myself with a controller if it's not effective with whatever the hard difficulty is called where a KBM would be better.

Okay im gonna pick up this game now. But is anyone playing with a controller? Is the experience any good?

I'm looking to play this on the harder difficulty but I never really played the first game. Just want a fun and challenging game I can play on the couch after work and stuff. But I didn't want to hinder myself with a controller if it's not effective with whatever the hard difficulty is called where a KBM would be better.

Controller is great for the most part. Can get a bit cumbersome managing lots of items in the inventory but that's not that big of an issue.

Labadal

I sort of wish mages could do physical damage with more than just necromancy. Some earth spells at least would of been great to do physical damage.
Put one point in warfare and get the bouncing shield ability. It's insanely good. It doesn't scale with any stat. It completely depends on the stats of your shield. Both my mages have it. Focus one or two mages on summoning (one of mine has it at 15). The incarnate is extremely good. With power infusion, it's a wrecking machine.

Not necessarily. Steamspy lags behind by several days, which would accoubtnforna big chunk of that 150k.

True, but I remember that it was only getting additional~50k owners after 3 days on steamspy. So, the game roughly had 400k owners on steam and 100k at GOG at the time. It all depends on GOG's growth since then if we want to predict today's number.

Alric

Put one point in warfare and get the bouncing shield ability. It's insanely good. It doesn't scale with any stat. It completely depends on the stats of your shield. Both my mages have it. Focus one or two mages on summoning (one of mine has it at 15). The incarnate is extremely good. With power infusion, it's a wrecking machine.

Yeah I have a shield on both and one is a summoner. The thing is I want to feel like a mage and splitting the damage between physical/magical armor just doesn't seem optimal. I'd either prefer all armor in the game to be combined into one pool so physical and magical both chip away at it, or allow for more magic spells to attack physical armor.

I might need a cheat engine to beat that last fight in the game, even on explorer mode.

The damage output from the enemies is just insane. More than i can outheal in time.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Man, I read it here before hitting it, but Act 4 is a lot rougher, if not in the sense that levels aren't really coming to help power up, there's not as good of a 'clear' indicator of where to go first for when you're level 19 or so, and the enemies got a seemingly pretty significant power up from the end of act 3.

Time to start using the rune system, I guess.

Yeah, it feels like they should get rid of Earth damage and just make it physical. You're hitting people with rocks. It doesn't get much more physical than that.

Pancakes

Yeah, it feels like they should get rid of Earth damage and just make it physical. You're hitting people with rocks. It doesn't get much more physical than that.

I like the idea of mods combining magic and physical armor into a single unit. I believe people have created some like it already.

Taruranto

About the final fight

So i went agaisnt everyone. When Braccus Rex summons Kraken...Kraken takes like 1 to 5 min to do something, what the fuck

Also, the fight itself is kinda BS as well

You just needs to kill
Braccus. It's really easy, especially if you sided with Lucian.

Killzig

Is there an in-game map?
edit: n/m. m works with kb and mouse, but doesn't seem like there's a keybind with the controller.

Sarcasm

Where should a lvl 12 go? Having issues finding stuff in Act 2 my level. Well I found these scarecrows that have evade aura and own my party when its their turn.

Stiler

Ok, WTF?

My game crashed (I was alt tabbed for a bit, came back and it was frozen up).

I closed it out and now it won't load my saves? I open the game and it acts like I have no saves??? Can't click continue, can't go to "load campaign" or anything.

I checked my saves folder in documents and I still have my saves on disk...why the heck won't it let me load them?

edit - Apparently if the game crashes it creates a "Debug profile" and puts you into it, the problem is that I can't delete it (says it's in use, since it automatically signed in to htat profile) and I can't switch to my main profile for some reason, i hit select on it and it simply doens't load it.

ugh.

lionpants

Stuck on last boss, any help?

Playing on tactician and getting destroyed by the last boss. I can't seem to find any vendors in Arx that sell decent gear and I can't find anything else that gives experience. I am level 20.

Act 3 and 4 quality drops so much. Not enjoying them at all. :(

Man I can't find new gear for the life of me. Rewards are worse than what I am wearing.

Check the vendors, they refresh their wares every hour or every time you level up.

You can also savescum the vendors' item by saving before talking to them for the first time (after refresh). The refresh system is quite complicated. For example there are 3 vendors. If you talk to vendor A first, it'll have 'set A item' for sale. If you talk to vendor B first, then you talk to vendor A after that, it'll have 'set B item', and so on. For example, in 'set A item' they have 2 legendary gears, while in 'set B item' they only have 1, and in 'set C item' they might even have a divine gear. It doesn't stop there. The stats and bonus of each set item is randomized when you talk to them for the first time.

This is the main reason why I needed almost 120 hours to finish the game.

Stuck on last boss, any help?

Playing on tactician and getting destroyed by the last boss. I can't seem to find any vendors in Arx that sell decent gear and I can't find anything else that gives experience. I am level 20.

Act 3 and 4 quality drops so much. Not enjoying them at all. :(

If you've explored everything in Act 4, you should have a few unique gears with you and some of them are level 20 and very OP with lots of bonuses. Also try my trick above to buy good gears from the vendors.

Is there an in-game map?
edit: n/m. m works with kb and mouse, but doesn't seem like there's a keybind with the controller.
Image is from Divinity OS1, but it's the exact same layout.
controller-divinity-original-sin-2.jpg

Renekton

How dafuq did you guys even beat Tactician Mode fights?

Basically I have to pull lots of barrel cheese, drag enemies to NPCs, rob everyone blind, min-max the sht out of party skills and gear, refresh vendor... and still get my ass kicked.

Ryzaki009

Also a lot of implement gives cripple so it's like...why doesn't that break physical armor then?

Eyeh4wk

Check the vendors, they refresh their wares every hour or every time you level up.

You can also savescum the vendors' item by saving before talking to them for the first time (after refresh). The refresh system is quite complicated. For example there are 3 vendors. If you talk to vendor A first, it'll have 'set A item' for sale. If you talk to vendor B first, then you talk to vendor A after that, it'll have 'set B item', and so on. For example, in 'set A item' they have 2 legendary gears, while in 'set B item' they only have 1, and in 'set C item' they might even have a divine gear. It doesn't stop there. The stats and bonus of each set item is randomized when you talk to them for the first time.

This also works with chests, so the stock available will be different whether you opened a chest before or not, basically the same principle as vendors (I think some simple containers works as well, but not all of them). I had to limit myself to just a few reloads, cuz it was really time consuming and the possibilities are endless.

Also a lot of implement gives cripple so it's like...why doesn't that break physical armor then?

Yeah, it confused me too I thought 'cool an INT spell that mitigates Phys armor like necromancer spells' but nope.

Pancakes

How dafuq did you guys even beat Tactician Mode fights?

Basically I have to pull lots of barrel cheese, drag enemies to NPCs, rob everyone blind, min-max the sht out of party skills and gear, refresh vendor... and still get my ass kicked.

Basically abuse everything (conversation buffs), constantly buy gear, steal and stick to meta classes.

Top Bottom