• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

Great work Larian, I just tried the game after the patch and it runs as smooth as it was in the beginning. No more freezes in fort joy or crashes trying to load a save.

Now I can take a more leisure pace trying to escape this island.

JMY86

Almost done with the first area (hopefully).

So far it's enjoyable (played all day, eh), but a step down compared to DOS1. Particularly a lot fights feel unfair= enemies all around you+ armor = Come back when you are 1-2 levels over the enemy.

Ugh.

In general it feels like you are constantly walking on thin ice, one wrong step and you'll run into an unwinnable fight. DOS1 eased you into the game much better.

Summoner feels very powerful early game, while water + thunder feels like junk now. At least the poison + fire combo is still strong, I guess.

I think this game handles combat much better than the last game. I think the armor system is a game changer as you could easily CC most mobs and cheese a lot of fights in the last game. I do not think the system is without its flaws but it definitely adds a new layer to an already fantastic combat system.

Sanctuary

The armor rules add another tactical layer to what was already a great battle system. Love it.

Of course you'd say that. ;p Although I don't agree at all. There's nothing really tactical about "don't use any of your abilities, or simply waste them until the fake health bars are gone". This is why the Adept in Mass Effect 2 was awful to play, and they at least had Warp and Warp combos to quickly strip armor. So far, that doesn't exist in this game.

The strongest CC right now is Teleport and Netherswap, with the occasional earth spells (or Spider Legs) for oil. Now imagine a group with 2-3 Rangers that can use those abilities. They blow up casters almost instantly due to the low armor, and for melee they can simply slow them, push them away or teleport (or just go invisible) themselves. The only time direct damage or hard CC (which already fucking requires a multihit combo) spells matter much are against enemies that have no armor to begin with.

Nerd Commando made a character creation/development guide.

And yeah, I kinda feel bad with comitting to Constitution for almost everyone a bit too much, even if I'm playing on Tactician.

Constitution only seems to matter for gear requirements. Otherwise, if you aren't raisng your main stat, Memory and Wits are better.

Syder

Man, I really want to play this but my buddy wants to go through the first game together (something I've been meaning to do) but I checked out Steam and the prices for the first and second game are exactly the same which struck me as kind of odd.

Anno

Man, I really want to play this but my buddy wants to go through the first game together (something I've been meaning to do) but I checked out Steam and the prices for the first and second game are exactly the same which struck me as kind of odd.

Well if you end up getting both think about the Eternal Edition of OS2. It includes both games plus much of Larian's prior work and stuff like soundtracks, digital art/lore books and the like.

danthefan

Ugh.

In general it feels like you are constantly walking on thin ice, one wrong step and you'll run into an unwinnable fight. DOS1 eased you into the game much better.

wat

If you wandered out of Cyseal too early in D:OS1 you would get absolutely trashed. The only remedy was to do more quests and level up a bit in the town.

I think I found a back entrance to the prison by accident. Kind of weird as
I teleported onto a bare bit of beach and made my way to a cave entrance, next thing I know I am dropped into a prison cell with some guy.

carlsojo

LOL. I've been complaining that I can't stand the "Mass Effect 2" approach they've taken with the game. It effectively neuters many skills so much that they're essentially pointless. CC might have been really powerful in the previous two iterations of D:OS, but in this game it may as well not even exist. The enemies that really need to be put on ice or taunted can't until you pretty much don't need them to be either, and the best way to take care of most enemies is through massive physical damage, or using summons as blockers. Spell damage combos can work, but they don't really come online until level 6+ and by then your physical damage dealers are even stronger anyway. As I said previously, the best spells are those that don't have an armor stipulation, and for those, any build can put them to good use. My MVP "spell" was the teleport spell that you get for free at the start. My "tank" (doesn't exist in this game) was using it too.

There's a huge gap in enemy armor and player armor. There's also a huge gap in "fairness" in this game compared to the previous. Too many of the encounters are ambush fights where the enemies are invisible until the fight starts and they are perfectly situated. There are also fights where even when you can get the first strike, your initial damage has no effect on the target (WTF?). The game felt punishing from levels 1-2, and it gets easier from there, but the balance still feels quite off to me anyway.

Also, has anyone been having connection issues to the Larian server? I've been getting this message since the game went live, and it causes the game to take an additonal 60s to even launch:

Yeah there's a huge gap in armor at the start. Now that my characters have actual gear though it makes a huge difference.

I kind of like that you can't just CC everyone and everything. You have to play a little smarter. Throw oil on the ground not to burn things, but to slow them. Cover the ground in ice so swordsmen will fall on their ass (knocking them down for a turn) trying to reach you. I think Teleport and Chicken Claw ignore armors as well.

I think I found a back entrance to the prison by accident. Kind of weird as
I teleported onto a bare bit of beach and made my way to a cave entrance, next thing I know I am dropped into a prison cell with some guy.

It's crazy how many paths there are. Level design is on par with Arkane games.

UberLevi

Yeah there's a huge gap in armor at the start. Now that my characters have actual gear though it makes a huge difference.

I kind of like that you can't just CC everyone and everything. You have to play a little smarter. Throw oil on the ground not to burn things, but to slow them. Cover the ground in ice so swordsmen will fall on their ass (knocking them down for a turn) trying to reach you. I think Teleport and Chicken Claw ignore armors as well.

It's crazy how many paths there are. Level design is on par with Arkane games.

Chicken Claw does not ignore armor, and it also only has touch range (regardless of Far Out Man) so it's honestly super ineffectual in most scenarios. Teleport is a top-tier skill to have in your party, though. Overall I like this system because it does invite you to try more strategies. And it works both ways, I love being able to walk through electrified blood without just getting stunned as long as I've got magic armor. Original Sin 1 felt like it was really cheap in the early game and asked you to pick your encounters sparingly as you progressed up until about level 7 or 8 and I think this game is the same way. The first few levels without many skills or gear for your party feel unfair, but as it progresses it eases up as you learn more tools. I don't think Flee resets encounters so if you need to take out an enemy and bail then when you come back the encounter will retain your progress against their numbers.

Round out your team comp, be prepared to position them advantageously, flee if the encounter is tough, and if you need to wipe and re-attempt it then that's just part of strategizing, in my opinion. Not every fight needs to be trial and error, but sometimes you're going to need that hindsight to develop your plan more accordingly.

Reani

The strongest CC right now is Teleport and Netherswap, with the occasional earth spells (or Spider Legs) for oil. Now imagine a group with 2-3 Rangers that can use those abilities. They blow up casters almost instantly due to the low armor, and for melee they can simply slow them, push them away or teleport (or just go invisible) themselves. The only time direct damage or hard CC (which already fucking requires a multihit combo) spells matter much are against enemies that have no armor to begin with.
nah, the best MVP cc this game has is hands down Warfare skills.
two tier 1 hard CC with MASSIVE aoe.

i honestly want to get it on entire party just for rush skill alone. its tactical repositioning + cc in one button.

my glass cannon rogue already has Cloak and dagger, tactical retreat, phoenix dive, rush LMAO
i can jump around entire battlefield behind enemy backs with 6ap as long as i dont get chain CC'ed into death

Anyone else getting this notification each time they boot up the game?

569rZfT.png

MrCinos

Chicken Claw does not ignore armor, and it also only has touch range (regardless of Far Out Man) so it's honestly super ineffectual in most scenarios.
You'd want Poly on your melee characters, so it being touch range doesn't really matter. Personally, I think it's the single best CC (outside of maybe teleport) in early game. Add Rupture (Scoundrel) into the mix with Chicken Claw and it's outright broken.

Tovarisc

How much strength is required so you can open the tomb at
the end of the Gargoyle Labyrinth
in Act 1? I would love to
get full Tyrant armor set

I have 15 Str.

Edit: Found out it was 18...

Moff

I am slowly getting into it
the quicksave crashes have been hotfixed, combat gets interesting at around level 4, had some fun encounters

story is a bit lacking and unmotivating at the moment, teleporting is a fun and must have spell

Sanctuary

Anyone else getting this notification each time they boot up the game?

569rZfT.png

Yes. Since launch.

nah, the best MVP cc this game has is hands down Warfare skills.
two tier 1 hard CC with MASSIVE aoe.

i honestly want to get it on entire party just for rush skill alone. its tactical repositioning + cc in one button.

my glass cannon rogue already has Cloak and dagger, tactical retreat, phoenix dive, rush LMAO
i can jump around entire battlefield behind enemy backs with 6ap as long as i dont get chain CC'ed into death

No idea what you're talking about. The Warfare skills get blocked by armor. Oils, Teleport and Netherswap aren't.

Nerd Commando made a character creation/development guide.

And yeah, I kinda feel bad with comitting to Constitution for almost everyone a bit too much, even if I'm playing on Tactician.

Er i watched about 4 minutes...Guy doesnt even sound like hes got to the end of act1.
"The toughest fights have both really high physical and magic armour"?
Er, but no they dont? Enemies armour splits will quickly be like 300 physical, 1000 magic armour etc. Good luckin touching that with your all magic team.

The game gives you loads of flexibility due to the new stat system (Necromancer scales with both int+warfare for example), people should take advantage of that and make sure that party members wont be useless in certain fights.
Summoning for example is incredibly flexible since totems/creatures can do physical/magic armour, its your choice at each point in the fight!. (And it doesnt even scale off anything but summoning)

Rad-

Yeah teleport is the king. Just teleport 3-4 enemies the fuck away, maybe throw some oil in their direction so they get back slower and focus fire on enemies that stayed near you. Repeat.

Are there just certain functions that the controller interface can't do. There are 2 main issues that I have:

1) No way that I can find to automatically sell all tagged junk items
2) No way to toggle helmet display on/off

I also think it's crazy that the equip screen doesn't show Physical/Magical Armor.

Overall I think I prefer playing with the controller over m/kb but the above are kind of annoying me.
Those are two of my biggest issues. The first one is really dumb cause they give you a command to label them as junk, but no option to sell it all.

Ryzaki009

Almost done with the first area (hopefully).

So far it's enjoyable (played all day, eh), but a step down compared to DOS1. Particularly a lot fights feel unfair= enemies all around you+ armor = Come back when you are 1-2 levels over the enemy.

Ugh.

Summoner feels very powerful early game, while water + thunder feels like junk now. At least the poison + fire combo is still strong, I guess.

Summoner stays powerful. At lvl 17 my summoners are easily the most important members of my party. The lvl 10 summons are great tanks and damage dealers.

Taruranto

wat

If you wandered out of Cyseal too early in D:OS1 you would get absolutely trashed. The only remedy was to do more quests and level up a bit in the town.

Cyseal was a town full of quests you could do to get exp and when you exited the walls, you had a bunch of enemies grouped by level to exp. It was the perfect starting area.

Here you have 3-4 sparse quests grouped together with hard mode fights. The whole place is a death trap.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ok, I'm stuck in the middle of act 1-

Cleared out the houndmaster in the fort joy holding cells. Saved the guy on the floor and he apparently told me where I need to go, but I have no idea where that is. I've knocked down all the doors in the holding or cells, but I can't open the door to the "main floor". Pretty much explored the whole above ground map as well. Where do I go next?

carlsojo

Cleared out the houndmaster in the fort joy holding cells. Saved the guy on the floor and he apparently told me where I need to go, but I have no idea where that is. I've knocked down all the doors in the holding or cells, but I can't open the door to the "main floor". Pretty much explored the whole above ground map as well. Where do I go next?

Lockpick the door to the main floor.

anyone doing a melee assassin build? hows it going

I have Beast as a shadowblade (poly + scoundrel) and it is GREAT. I have fly, chameleon and bull rush and basically just use it to get around. I also have cloak and dagger so he is basically just flying around the map willy nilly picking off weak targets. Keep your daggers up to date and you're a powerhouse.

Game is fucking incredible. Best isometric RPG since Baldur's Gate 2.

I need to finish the game... play it again in a year... rolling it around in my head a while... but... yeah? Possibly? We'll see.

Kard8p3

I was stuck here too.

Hold ctrl, it'll highlight the key on the ground

DataBased

I have a pretty mixed party right now, have a crossbow user, a fighter, a cleric and a rogue. Just cleared the
castle
, got to the
swamp
and I haven't really hit any impossible fights people were talking about. Am I just too early on?

UberLevi

You'd want Poly on your melee characters, so it being touch range doesn't really matter. Personally, I think it's the single best CC (outside of maybe teleport) in early game. Add Rupture (Scoundrel) into the mix with Chicken Claw and it's outright broken.

I use Polymorph Huntsman. Chameleon Cloak and Flight are excellent, and tentacle lash can be handy in some cases as well. Sometimes I'll fly up to high ground with a mage or ranger, hit them with an arrow to whittle down their armor, and then tentacle slap them to disarm them before they get a turn to start churning out damage. Usually that causes them to retreat and give me the high ground to myself. Can't wait to combine Terrain Transmutation with Elemental Arrowheads, too.

AcAnchoa

I couldn't find any way to escape Fort Joy, mainly because everywhere I went I was obliterated by anything, so I did it in the most stupid and anticlimatic way possible. I have come back after gaining a few levels and better gear and I'm now finding several ways to escape, it feels like I wandered like a headless chicken through the area. I love the scummy ways you can solve some impossible-looking tasks, even if after some time you find an easier solution to the problem.

The armor thing initially annoyed me, but I'm getting used to it and planning ahead how to use the environment feels very, very good. My biggest grip right now is the lack of skill books (or at least new books), I hope this is solved once I progress on the game.

Now to wait five days to play again, I'll be out most of the week because of work :( .

Yeah teleport is the king. Just teleport 3-4 enemies the fuck away, maybe throw some oil in their direction so they get back slower and focus fire on enemies that stayed near you. Repeat.

It works well for melees but so far pretty much every encounters is 1archer+1mage per melee mob almost, and while teleporting the archers/mages down from the ledges they start decrease their damage, it doesn't really prevent them from much. Also I find melees to be the easiest to deal with if you have mages anyway since they'll all stack up and have generally low magic armor, so you can just aoe nuke+CC them.

Mostly I use Teleport to move stuff from high ground into pools of flames where the big red lizard is waiting.

I like the armor system personally and I disagree on CC being useless. CC is very strong, especially because enemies have a lot more powerful abilities overall than they used to(in normal diff at least). And every CC spell is also a damage spell, so you don't "waste" CC on armor, you're just nuking them down. It isn't like D:OS1 where you had CC spells on one side and damage spells on the other, with CC spells having high % chance to CC but low damage and vice versa. Every lightning spell can shock and all of them do normal lightning damage too. That means that you mostly chose the one that has the best aoe for the situation to reduce armor and/or CC at the same time.

It lets the AI use their abilities and support each other and stuff. In the first game it wasn't uncommon for me to CC 4-6mobs on the first turn, and since every char had high speed, they also took their turn first for the most part and then main stat reducing cooldowns of those low lvl CC would make them reapplyable on turn 3, for some right away on turn 2. That made most encounters very dull where I was mostly CCing every dangerous mob and then ignoring them as I killed everything.

Sanctuary

But the other parts of the abilities are still good. They are an excellent way to do damage to multiple enemies even if they still have physical armor.

Only when the enemies are grouped up enough to get hit by them. Ground Stomp has a pretty narrow line and the range isn't the greatest either. I was talking about direct character manipulation anyway, which is what Teleport and Netherswap do, regardless of armor.

Also, as it turns out, Wits kind of sucks. The way initiative works in this game (when the game isn't cheating and letting the entire enemy group go first no matter what), it pairs up one enemy with one party member and whoever has the higher initiative between them goes first. So instead of the turn order simply being dictated by whoever has the highest initiative down the line, it's just [Winner > Loser], [Winner > Loser], [Winner > Loser] etc. Or at least for the first four turns of your base party, not counting summons or extra enemies. You really only need a single character with high initiative, since you'll only ever get to go first at the start of a fight once.

Er i watched about 4 minutes...Guy doesnt even sound like hes got to the end of act1.
"The toughest fights have both really high physical and magic armour"?
Er, but no they dont? Enemies armour splits will quickly be like 300 physical, 1000 magic armour etc. Good luckin touching that with your all magic team.

The game gives you loads of flexibility due to the new stat system (Necromancer scales with both int+warfare for example), people should take advantage of that and make sure that party members wont be useless in certain fights.
Summoning for example is incredibly flexible since totems/creatures can do physical/magic armour, its your choice at each point in the fight!. (And it doesnt even scale off anything but summoning)

For a "tanky" character, the Warmaster + Necro combo from EA is still really strong. It's especially strong even if you only take Necromancy up to rank 2 just for the
Spider Summon
. Started over and said screw it to bothering with a shield, and just went back to the two-handed route from the first game. Works a lot better.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'm still very early, just had my first fight where things got hairy and thought I might die. I survived though!

I was not expecting
A teleporting crocodile.

Wrapping up Graveyard in Act 2, I need to fine The Essence of Existence, Volume 2 to solve this quest. Anyone know where I can find/buy it?

Edit: Eventually solved the quest by just using Sibelle since she had one of the correct tags to bypass a dialogue option, but still would love to know where that second volume is at.

Xeteh

Aww I'm kind of bummed, was hoping the game would account for it.

Late act 1 spoilers:
So Slane asked me to get the Purging Rod from Radeka to release him so for fun I tried pick pocketing her and you can steal the rod from her. I was hoping if I released him you could tell him she still lives and he'd come fight but one of the dialogue options was "watching her die was a pleasure" or something to that effect. Oh well.

Maximo

Someone on the reddit told me how to complete my quest....man come on for my quest I had to have 40 wits to uncover it fair enough you have change skill points on the boat but no one playing would ever have 40 wits thats insane.

Top Bottom