• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

Porcupine

I'm just starting my first game, quick question.

I wanne play an Undead Inquisitor. The Inquisitor has a starting ability, that let's you suck blood and heals you. Is this also an ability that would damage me?

Anno

Oh good, conjurers can still (first beach spoiler)
summon an incarnate up on the broken walkway thing, hack through the chest and throw down the contents. Got a nice bit of armor and a sword which is perfect.

Any tips that are important for a new player?

Pet pal is a great talent. If you didn't pick it up, make sure you have either Ifan or Fane in your party as they do. It will let you talk to animals, who normally give hints but also sometimes give quests.

Make sure you have someone proficient in thievery, so in the early game you can pickpocket skill books instead of having to spend all your gold buying them.

Dipping a point into a spell skill like hydro or polymorph isn't a bad idea if you see a good skill you like

The primary damage dealing stats are Strength, Finesse and Intelligence. Only raise one of them. As a cleric, you're going to want to focus on Strength or Int. If you focus on Int you can either use a wand and be a mid-line fighter or a 2-h staff and beat people with it. If you go strength, use either 1h weapons or 2h, but only get hydro skills that don't scale with intellect, because your spells will be pretty bad otherwise. If you ask yourself "does this item or spell scale with a certain stat?" - don't worry, that's in the item tooltip!

Try and assemble a full party of four quickly. All of them are either in the camp outside Fort Joy (the first big area of the game) or immediately around it.

If you didn't play Original Sin 1, start out on Explorer mode til you know what's what, then up the difficulty later.

Try and think outside the box! You can teleport or fly your way out of many a sticky situation.

I'm just starting my first game, quick question.

I wanne play an Undead Inquisitor. The Inquisitor has a starting ability, that let's you suck blood and heals you. Is this also an ability that would damage me?

Necromancer abilities will heal you even as undead.

Inquisitor tip: As I said above to the other person, pick either Int (and use staves) or Str (and use hammers/swords/axes). Keep the other attribute at either 11 or 12 and no farther, just to expand your gear options. Either way get your necromancy skill up quick: the higher your necro the more hp you regen with your hits.

Kard8p3

Alright I'm stuck, still at fort joy.

how do I get the door in dungeon to open up? I've pulled the spear out of ol' undead boy, pulled the lever, and killed the magisters at the bottom of the dungeon but still can't figure it out.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Is the arena thing early in fort joy not meant for level 2, shit gear scrubs or do I just need to l2p?

Is there any guide out there yet that shows you each companion's starting skills for each of the different classes? I got 3 Geomancers in my team now and I want to start over.

danthefan

Alright I'm stuck, still at fort joy.

how do I get the door in dungeon to open up? I've pulled the spear out of ol' undead boy, pulled the lever, and killed the magisters at the bottom of the dungeon but still can't figure it out.

I haven't started playing yet but in the first game if it was a
wooden door you could almost invariably just smash it down/fireball it down/lockpick it.

Kard8p3

I haven't started playing yet but in the first game if it was a
wooden door you could almost invariably just smash it down/fireball it down/lockpick it.

It doesn't have an HP bar, so there's no way to smash it :(

Tried picklocking it?

None of the peeps in my party have any points in lockpicking fml, and I have no idea where Sebille went after I dismissed her.

edit: I'm dumb

there was a key on the floor I couldn't see until I held down alt. lmao.

I'm not a fan of multiple backpacks. I'd rather have one shared with everyone. Using a controller it's really tedious going through backpacks and weapons/armours when you're adding runes. Using keyboard and mouse is simpler (a bit) but still takes some getting used to. A bit too much micro managing. Fine if you like that, not so if you prefer things more streamlined and efficient.

carlsojo

I love how armor works in this game. It reminds me a lot of Mass Effect 2 with shields/armor/barriers and how different abilities/ammo were more effective in taking them down.

I'm still early game but I hope there are spells/abilities that are better at taking down those barriers. I found a Scoundrel skill that bypasses armor but it's not very useful thus far.

Any tips for the
boss fight
at the end of Act 1?

Well really depends on your team comp, your level and all that. Personally I kinda just winged it, worked fine.

The thing I'd say that helps the most is that the enemy will help you kill the big void worm thing once it spawns, so you don't want to kill them too quick if you have high damage. They will prioritize the worm from what I've seen, they'll maybe attack you once in a while but not too much. Use that time to get people topped off using defensive spells, spread out so you don't get owned by the aoes, and keep hitting the magisters. Chip all their armors down, hit them to low hp but don't CC or kill them so they keep hitting the worm. Then clean up.

Defensive spells are very potent because of armor blocking effects, so I have Fortify on my 2mages(and also on my warrior since I started with it, but rarely use it on him), Armour of Frost on both of them too, then Mend Metal on my geo/pyro and Soothing Cold on my hydro/aero. Casting Soothing Cold and Mend Metal on first turn has been pretty useful, you do "waste" the first tick but they'll keep running while my team spreads out and add up a fair amount of armor over time, then I use the single target spells to top off whoever's getting focused. I also have Restoration on these 2 chars and on my warrior(resto ring). I've found that while in the first game I used the offensive buffs a lot more, in this game other than casting Haste on my rogue, I mostly use defensive buffs.

Rad-

I have 3 with teleport skill now. Every battle is a joke. I'm thinking it should be behind armor like CC spells because it basically is like a disable. Also it's easy to cheese with it in some situations. Like teleporting a big enemy to a place where he will get stuck.

Sanctuary

I love how armor works in this game. It reminds me a lot of Mass Effect 2 with shields/armor/barriers and how different abilities/ammo were more effective in taking them down.

I'm still early game but I hope there are spells/abilities that are better at taking down those barriers. I found a Scoundrel skill that bypasses armor but it's not very useful thus far.

LOL. I've been complaining that I can't stand the "Mass Effect 2" approach they've taken with the game. It effectively neuters many skills so much that they're essentially pointless. CC might have been really powerful in the previous two iterations of D:OS, but in this game it may as well not even exist. The enemies that really need to be put on ice or taunted can't until you pretty much don't need them to be either, and the best way to take care of most enemies is through massive physical damage, or using summons as blockers. Spell damage combos can work, but they don't really come online until level 6+ and by then your physical damage dealers are even stronger anyway. As I said previously, the best spells are those that don't have an armor stipulation, and for those, any build can put them to good use. My MVP "spell" was the teleport spell that you get for free at the start. My "tank" (doesn't exist in this game) was using it too.

There's a huge gap in enemy armor and player armor. There's also a huge gap in "fairness" in this game compared to the previous. Too many of the encounters are ambush fights where the enemies are invisible until the fight starts and they are perfectly situated. There are also fights where even when you can get the first strike, your initial damage has no effect on the target (WTF?). The game felt punishing from levels 1-2, and it gets easier from there, but the balance still feels quite off to me anyway.

Also, has anyone been having connection issues to the Larian server? I've been getting this message since the game went live, and it causes the game to take an additonal 60s to even launch:

Connection to the Larian support server failed. The Larian support tool will be disabled. Unable to connect to the remote server - - A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond

Stevey

Also, has anyone been having connection issues to the Larian server? I've been getting this message since the game went live, and it causes the game to take an additonal 60s to even launch:

I keep getting that, havent found a fix for it, so annoying.

After talking to Nicholas in Driftwood, the character that talked to him can't no long talk to anyone, not even another party member. Very weird bug.

I read about that on reddit, make sure to reload before that. The character becomes invincible and can't interact with much of anything after that. There's some trick for it to not happen I think, or just don't talk to him maybe not sure if it's necessary as I just finished act 1.

Xeteh

LOL. I've been complaining that I can't stand the "Mass Effect 2" approach they've taken with the game. It effectively neuters many skills so much that they're essentially pointless. CC might have been really powerful in the previous two iterations of D:OS, but in this game it may as well not even exist. The enemies that really need to be put on ice or taunted can't until you pretty much don't need them to be either, and the best way to take care of most enemies is through massive physical damage, or using summons as blockers. Spell damage combos can work, but they don't really come online until level 6+ and by then your physical damage dealers are even stronger anyway.

There's a huge gap in enemy armor and player armor. There's also a huge gap in "fairness" in this game compared to the previous. Too many of the encounters are ambush fights where the enemies are invisible until the fight starts and they are perfectly situated. There are also fights where even when you can get the first strike, your initial damage has no effect on the target (WTF?). The game felt punishing from levels 1-2, and it gets easier from there, but the balance still feels quite off to me anyway. As I said previously, the best spells are those that don't have an armor stipulation, and for those, any build can put them to good use.

I've come around on it a bit but I'm definitely in agreement about how it seems impossible to keep up with the enemies on armor. I restarted because I got to act 2 and I was getting annihilated, I was so far behind. Trying to focus on my armor more this time around.

It feels like a bunch of fights are stacked against you too. Some fights you can see ahead of time and position your party but the ones you can't where you're all grouped up but they're spread is a huge hassle. At least slow from oil goes through armor so you can keep melee off of you for a bit.

aravuus

Finally got to play 3-player coop and fucking yeah it was amazing!

Like fourth or fifth playthrough I've started so far, so the beginning parts went by pretty quick. Everyone doing their own thing was kind of hilarious, I'd randomly run into my friends in the fort doing whatever. One of them went on a sneaking streak and ended up with like 2000 gold and a ton of gear.

I finally feel fairly sure about my characters, too. Tank MC with 70-ish of both armors and a ton of health and Ifan who deals a fair amount of damage from afar, doubly so as soon as
I get the crossbow from his quest.
And we've only just left the fort, too!

Single player is fun, especially when you want to pay attention to the story, but coop is by far the most fun I've had with this game.

Branson

Any reason for me to play the first game before this one? I have it, and dabbled, but never went fully into it. Ok to just jump into this one? Is it a game thats improved and makes the original ok not to go back to or is there some significant reason I should play the first one?

Like I wont start Pillars 2 before 1 because of story.

Massicot

Any reason for me to play the first game before this one? I have it, and dabbled, but never went fully into it. Ok to just jump into this one? Is it a game thats improved and makes the original ok not to go back to or is there some significant reason I should play the first one?

Like I wont start Pillars 2 before 1 because of story.

This is 1000 years later so it's pretty safe to start here. A lot of the lore is shared but the story isn't continuous.

Eyeh4wk

Apologies if asked already, Is there a way to reroll the companions talents later in the game?

I'm fine with the attribute/skill points distribution, but since talents points are more scarce I'm afraid to screw up my party.

LoneWolf-92

Neo Member
So how is the story this time around? I didnt play the first one because I heard the story isnt that good. Are there many side quests with multiple outcomes? Would you say this game is for me if I liked Witcher 3 and Baldurs Gate 2?

Rad-

So how is the story this time around? I didnt play the first one because I heard the story isnt that good. Are there many side quests with multiple outcomes? Would you say this game is for me if I liked Witcher 3 and Baldurs Gate 2?

This is the best BG2-ish game since, well, BG2. Dialogue/writing is also a huge improvement over the first one.

AndersK

Yeah, just going by the convos on the boat at the start, this is substantially better written than its predecessor.

The Red Prince has some definite HK-47 potential. Only with at dash of C-3PO. Fane seems very interesting too.

I'm so happy its not just QUIRK QUIRK QUIRKY QUIRK QUIRK ARENT WE JUST DAPPER all the time. Probably the only complaint i had with OS 1.

Massicot

Apologies if asked already, Is there a way to reroll the companions talents later in the game?

I'm fine with the attribute/skill points distribution, but since talents points are more scarce I'm afraid to screw up my party.

In Act 2 you can respec them completely.

Yeah, just going by the convos on the boat at the start, this is substantially better written than its predecessor.

The Red Prince has some definite HK-47 potential. Only with at dash of C-3PO. Fane seems very interesting too.

I'm so happy its not just QUIRK QUIRK QUIRKY QUIRK QUIRK ARENT WE JUST DAPPER all the time. Probably the only complaint i had with OS 1.

I agree, they toned down the whimsical-ness a lot and I think it's better for it. Of course you can still talk to dogs and have "smelly" as a stat, but it's just more balanced.

Stevey

The original and this are probably the best Turn Based Combat RPGs that exist.
I'd say they're essential games.

Durante

This weekend we got 18 hours in in total. And we have a schedule for the upcoming week ;)

Such a fantastic game. The armor rules add another tactical layer to what was already a great battle system. Love it.

danthefan

Just started, have just played for about 30 mins and got
off the ship
. It's hitting that exact spot I was hoping it would, D:OS is one of my favourite games ever.

I was between Fane and Red Prince but went with Fane for my origin story, was too intrigued by playing an undead.

Venfayth

OK, done with act 1.

Spoilers regarding the end of act 1:

Kinda cheesed the last boss, but my team was just so frail. I went up to the top right side, pulled them with Sebille who has the highest initiative, and dragged them back to the room where the 3 shriekers are (I killed two of them).

By the time the Void thing showed up I was able to run away and let it and ~3 of the magisters duke it out while I killed Alexander and the mage who gets stuck in her spot.

Just cleanup after that.

The quest log implies it wasn't completely necessary to kill Alexander, so I'm not sure what I missed. Hopefully it's not a big deal!

JMY86

This weekend we got 18 hours in in total. And we have a schedule for the upcoming week ;)

Such a fantastic game. The armor rules add another tactical layer to what was already a great battle system. Love it.

That is fantastic! If a schedule has been established I think it safe to say that Larian has hit a homerun with your group and with many others I'm sure. I am going to jump into MP next week and I can't wait...

Taruranto

Almost done with the first area (hopefully).

So far it's enjoyable (played all day, eh), but a step down compared to DOS1. Particularly a lot fights feel unfair= enemies all around you+ armor = Come back when you are 1-2 levels over the enemy.

oghNBJZ.jpg

Ugh.

In general it feels like you are constantly walking on thin ice, one wrong step and you'll run into an unwinnable fight. DOS1 eased you into the game much better.

Summoner feels very powerful early game, while water + thunder feels like junk now. At least the poison + fire combo is still strong, I guess.

Well I think I killed one of the Source Masters...

Spoilers for Act 2 Graveyard area

Just killed Ryker after snooping around the place and discovered he was contracted to kill Godwoken, after three attempts I finally killed him then went down into his basement dungeon which got me some nice loot and bunch of painting I intend to sell off.

I actually don't know if he was a Source Master or
if he intended to betray me
, regardless.... luckily there's other Source Masters to pick/choose from yeah? Haha.

Here's a quick question: In the first game, I found myself saving and reloading a shit ton before opening chests. I was always trying to get something useful out of everything. I know it's ridiculous and I only have myself to blame, but is loot handled any differently in this game?

Shahadan

It's really annoying to me how sometimes a NPC will appear and engage a talk with the wrong character.
I missed the right options for dialog and persuasion like that a few times.

Venfayth

Here's a quick question: In the first game, I found myself saving and reloading a shit ton before opening chests. I was always trying to get something useful out of everything. I know it's ridiculous and I only have myself to blame, but is loot handled any differently in this game?

I had to reload and got markedly different items out of a few chests. I haven't felt inclined to exploit it, but you definitely still could.

Sorry ;_;

Are there just certain functions that the controller interface can't do. There are 2 main issues that I have:

1) No way that I can find to automatically sell all tagged junk items
2) No way to toggle helmet display on/off

I also think it's crazy that the equip screen doesn't show Physical/Magical Armor.

Overall I think I prefer playing with the controller over m/kb but the above are kind of annoying me.

Top Bottom