• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

So I take it that skill crafting didn't make it into the final game?

Long enough that there is still no howlongtobeat.com entry.

60-80 hours, as I understand it. Obviously less if you know what you're doing/lower difficulties.

I saw someone on Reddit say the breakdown was:

Act 1 25%
Act 2 50%
Act 3 25%

If that is accurate then this is looking to be a good 80 hours or so for my playstyle (I'm really slow).

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

Crafting spoilers? Is that a spoiler?
I believe you can combine skillbooks together to create new skills that way. I think that is all though, so that may or may not meet your definition of skillcrafting.

Crafting spoilers? Is that a spoiler?
I believe you can combine skillbooks together to create new skills that way. I think that is all though, so that may or may not meet your definition of skillcrafting.

That's pretty much what I assumed skill crafting to be. I remember they announced it with the KS but I haven't heard anyone mention it and haven't come across it in the game so I had assumed it didn't make it in.

Stiler

Is there any 'hub' in or around Fort Joy where I can send unused companions to? Do we ever get one?

I've met 3 extra now, and they're all like 'Yea, well I'll be waiting here if you want me'.

I'm still in Act 1, but if you dismiss a companion they will go back to where they were. You can dismiss them and pick another, then come back and swamp them out (in Act 1 at least).

ObsidianG

Skill crafting appears to have made it into the final game, based on the skill description on one of the wikis. it shows some skills requiring skills from two different ability trees to craft, and use in combat.

KorrZ

Act 1 25%
Act 2 50%
Act 3 25%

If that is accurate then this is looking to be a good 80 hours or so for my playstyle (I'm really slow).

I've been on the island for 20 hours already....this is only 25% of the game?

Send help...already lost an entire weekend to this game.

Jisgsaw

Long enough that there is still no howlongtobeat.com entry.

60-80 hours, as I understand it. Obviously less if you know what you're doing/lower difficulties.

Act 1 25%
Act 2 50%
Act 3 25%

Wow ok, so I'll switch to my Fane playthrough. Should be more interesting, as my Red Prince run has fairly standard and almost boring classes (knight / ranger / wizard / enchanter).
That is, if my damn game would like to run without blacking out every 10 seconds.

I've been on the island for 20 hours already....this is only 25% of the game?

Send help...already lost an entire weekend to this game.

You might progress faster now that you're used to it and such. I know in the first game it was kinda similar, act2 was gigantic, but it didn't feel much longer than act1 cause I streamlined combat and looting stuff a lot better so I didn't spend as long clicking on everything, stopped looting food about halfway because I never used it anyway(highly recommend this in this too since it doesn't look like there's any point and you can just reset the food vendors inventories over time if you REALLY need to) and everything went faster, versus act1 where I had to figure out a bunch of stuff like how the spells would interact, how the surface propagated, the order of my skills and just having way less skills for each situations versus having a large range of spells, especially damage ones.

Like if I compare act1 and act2 so far, in act1 my mages had to use their wands/staff of magus abilities because they ran out of spells, and the spells did mediocre magic armor damage, would take like the 2 of them to drop armor on one/two guys, but now my fire mage just pops the armor of 3-4enemies on his own in 1 turn with 2 spells because I have way better options in terms of size and placement, so it goes a lot faster. Similarily my rogue had to adrenaline and pop everything to kill a single target, while now I generally kill one and have one AP free still without even using adrenaline, so I can keep adrenaline and dump it later.

It's a bit like the first game where you had more and more AP from speed/perception so you cleared stuff faster, but instead of having more AP, you just get more AP efficient. Other than boss fights, a lot of fights have been a lot shorter since the end of act1/start of act2. Even one fight where I had to fight 2 mobs that were 3 levels higher along 3 equal level mobs, that went a lot smoother because of the the superior armor shredding and constant CC I have from all my new abilities.

so I was speaking to Ifan and he said I have to speak to Borris alone and I refused

now Borris just tells me move! along!

How do I proceed?

Just keep going, the story will catch up once you hit the next objective, probably. But if you tell your companions to not do stuff, that's what happens. It has uses, since sometimes the companions will start a fight or outright kill the NPC, which can be annoying(one of the companion kills one of the spellbook vendor in the first town for example, although you can just use the vendor in the next town) but generally you just want to let them do their quests to progress it and know where to go next.

Burt

Incarnates get so strong down the line. At a point in the game where my team averages 500/500/500 for armor/magic shield/vitality, an incarnate with two infusions goes 1500/1500/1500 and hits maybe more than twice as hard as my tank with a 2h. With Glass Cannon and Far Out Man I can get a double infused incarnate and a totem out on the first turn, then just hang back and heal/buff while it does it's thing.

Might taper off towards late game though as enemies catch up to my juiced up Summoning stat.

so I was speaking to Ifan and he said I have to speak to Borris alone and I refused

now Borris just tells me move! along!

How do I proceed?

IIRC there is a tutorial pop up that warns you about those situations.

FWIW, the next objective in that quest chain is to talk to
the Merchant Zakahar located just out of the Eastern Gate of the fortress. Try speaking to him when you get there to see if it re-initiates the quest.

You may need to speak to him twice because he is also linked to another one of your companion's quests.

Stevey

Glad to see this doing so well

d0ZuZCZ.png

KorrZ

You might progress faster now that you're used to it and such. I know in the first game it was kinda similar, act2 was gigantic, but it didn't feel much longer than act1 cause I streamlined combat and looting stuff a lot better so I didn't spend as long clicking on everything, stopped looting food about halfway because I never used it anyway(highly recommend this in this too since it doesn't look like there's any point and you can just reset the food vendors inventories over time if you REALLY need to) and everything went faster, versus act1 where I had to figure out a bunch of stuff like how the spells would interact, how the surface propagated, the order of my skills and just having way less skills for each situations versus having a large range of spells, especially damage ones.

Like if I compare act1 and act2 so far, in act1 my mages had to use their wands/staff of magus abilities because they ran out of spells, and the spells did mediocre magic armor damage, would take like the 2 of them to drop armor on one/two guys, but now my fire mage just pops the armor of 3-4enemies on his own in 1 turn with 2 spells because I have way better options in terms of size and placement, so it goes a lot faster. Similarily my rogue had to adrenaline and pop everything to kill a single target, while now I generally kill one and have one AP free still without even using adrenaline, so I can keep adrenaline and dump it later.

It's a bit like the first game where you had more and more AP from speed/perception so you cleared stuff faster, but instead of having more AP, you just get more AP efficient. Other than boss fights, a lot of fights have been a lot shorter since the end of act1/start of act2. Even one fight where I had to fight 2 mobs that were 3 levels higher along 3 equal level mobs, that went a lot smoother because of the the superior armor shredding and constant CC I have from all my new abilities.

Fair enough, It's definitely progressing much faster in the latter half of Act 1 now that my guys aren't wearing rags and have more than 3-4 skills each. Though I did just spend a good 45 mins on the final? fight of act 1 last night.

fuuuck i got a bug where my actual character can't interact with anyone

time to play guess how far back it is by constantly loading saves

Assuming this is the same bug, it happens when you talk to Nicholas in Driftwood. Doesn't happen for everyone though, I talked to him and my char's fine but I've read it can happen. The obvious fix is to not talk to him since he doesn't really have anything useful to say(he does start a quest by giving you some info but that quest isn't specifically related to him so I assume you can just start it whenever you run into the stuff directly).

Who are everyone's favorite companions and why (while avoiding spoilers)?

Lohse so far is definitely the most interesting. I like Sebille but mostly because I'm playing as her so I see the various choices. If I didn't have the dialogue options I think I'd find her kinda dull. Ifan and Red Prince are kinda whatever, although I really like the Red Prince personality. Mind you I haven't hit their act2 parts yet so maybe it'll pick up more.

Small update:

Our servers weren’t ready to handle the high amount of people playing concurrently, and as a result we had to switch them off over the weekend. We increased our capacity since then and so you should now be able to use direct connect again (which allows for crossplay between Steam and GOG). We’ve also fixed a few crashes and the permanent wet-status effect. A bigger patch is due in the next couple of days which should address several of the issues we’ve seen reported.

Assuming this is the same bug, it happens when you talk to Nicholas in Driftwood. Doesn't happen for everyone though, I talked to him and my char's fine but I've read it can happen. The obvious fix is to not talk to him since he doesn't really have anything useful to say(he does start a quest by giving you some info but that quest isn't specifically related to him so I assume you can just start it whenever you run into the stuff directly).

Lohse so far is definitely the most interesting. I like Sebille but mostly because I'm playing as her so I see the various choices. If I didn't have the dialogue options I think I'd find her kinda dull. Ifan and Red Prince are kinda whatever, although I really like the Red Prince personality. Mind you I haven't hit their act2 parts yet so maybe it'll pick up more.

going back in saves it appeared after talking to Glenna in the abandoned house, i killed her without triggering the fight properly so it bugged out on me as if i was in conversation with her

blackw0lf

I love the ways you can completely break the balance this early into the game even on tactician difficulty

To improve that: take your companion at level 1, don't distribute lvl-up points on level 2, do it on level 3 after getting Lone Wolf talent for additional value.

Double Lone Wolf summoner setup certainly seems like the best way to go through Honour mode, at least for the act 1.

Yeah that was kinda obvious right away I think, summoners can dump all their stats on defensive/utility stuff since no main stat scaling, and adding more units create both defenses and AP inflation since you then get both your AP and the summon AP and so on. Also giving them shields(high defenses) and then Shield throw(scales purely on shield stat and scales insanely well past the early game, shields physical armor outpaces standard melee damage very quickly) is great. Can add Stomp/ram for knockdown CC chains too.

I thought they said Lone Wolf would be retro active though in this game, they didn't make it? You could probably assign points if you're having issues, it's not much and you can fix it once you get to the end of act1. Could also probably just start the game on multiplayer so you play with multiple chars from lvl 1 instead of having to recruit them normally.

Getting murdered by these guys and I'm the same level as them. I took a break and will come back to them. Just like alot of encounters I've had so far in this game lol.

I did the same thing and beelined straight to
Bloodmoon Island where everyone is lvl 15 while I'm lvl 13
, I did get my Source limit increased but I think I need to go elsewhere to level a bit more.

adversarial

When the other characters (Red Prince, etc.) tell you that they're "used to being" a specific class / spec, but they can do other stuff, is there any negative consequence to choosing one of the other classes? Story or otherwise?

And I spend 15 hours in the island only to get to the swamps...can't imagine how big act 2 is. And it feels higly replayable, too.

Act 2 is fucking long, I don't think I'm halfway... well if I am then I just hit it. It's bigger than Fort Joy from what I've experienced so far and a bunch of the map is still covered for me.

Ryzaki009

Source points are really not that hard to obtain. You can find unlimited tanks of source in certain areas, just throw a teleporter pyramid next to one and you can juice up whenever you want. There are also consumables that grant them, skills that can steal them from enemies, etc.

Source is hard if you don't want to be a dick tho. But that's kind of the point.

Oh for you all Act 2 people, anyone know the exact spellbook
Etihne
wants? I know she said
that she wanted a spellbook to explode corpses, but all I have/could find is mass corpse explosion
and that didn't work.

MikeBison

First game I've ever played where I really feel like I'm
Deciding everything. Who to kill. Who to pickpocket. Wether to save someone. How to approach a fight. Shall I improve my bartering skills to deal with this trader? Am I short on cash so pickpocket them? Do they catch me so I kill them and take their stuff anyway?

Fucking fantastic.

Any schools that synergise well with necromancer?

My Fane seems a tad week other than his necro skills. He's the standard necro and scoundrel but my Sebille is the far better scoundrel so she gets all the skills and daggers.

AndersK

Who are everyone's favorite companions and why (while avoiding spoilers)?

My avatar is Lohse, and you get to make some hilariously trolly responses to people. When the Red Prince asks you if you're usually well-groomed, the Lohse-specific answer is
*chew your hair, since its already in your mouth anyway*.

Sebile is a complete wild card. Everytime she wants to talk to someone
its a 50/50 split between amicable talk and murder most foul. And stabby. Even the Prince is like...'Yo, dawg. Wtf.'

Fane is cool too. Not as outright contemptious as Prince, but very aloof and not a big fan of history. Havent had much time with Ifan or Beast, but both seem solid and charismatic, if slightly less...weird.

Honestly, this is a extremely impressive step up in terms of characters. I mean, do ya really recall much about the first games NPC's? The Rogue dude with no voice was ocisionally amusing, but gruff wizard, texan warrior and icelandic ranger were fairly forgettable to me.

Anno

Deciding everything. Who to kill. Who to pickpocket. Wether to save someone. How to approach a fight. Shall I improve my bartering skills to deal with this trader? Am I short on cash so pickpocket them? Do they catch me so I kill them and take their stuff anyway?

Fucking fantastic.

My Fane seems a tad week other than his necro skills. He's the standard necro and scoundrel but my Sebille is the far better scoundrel so she gets all the skills and daggers.

Warfare Necro seems pretty solid early on.

Fucking fantastic.

So far Summoning and Warfare works with Necro. If you want a frontline bloodsucking warrior necro works due to life drain abilities (make sure you get the leech talent as well!) and later armor spells you can get in Act 2. Summoning works with a Necro to buff up your Necro summons (which you also get in Act 2) as pretty much all summoning spells, no matter what tree, will receive stat boosts from your summoning skill.

If you're going Int-based Summon/Necro, if you want Str-based Warfare/Necro. Currently I'm doing the former and while Act 1 was a slog (I had to pick up Aetho for some early dmge, regardless I needed to anyway for the Teleport spell) Act 2 is where I can really live up the Necromancer fantasy to have a giant skeletal minion just wreck shit.

ValfarHL

Wow ok, so I'll switch to my Fane playthrough. Should be more interesting, as my Red Prince run has fairly standard and almost boring classes (knight / ranger / wizard / enchanter).
That is, if my damn game would like to run without blacking out every 10 seconds.

Have you tried running windowed boarderless?

Fucking fantastic.

Really anything goes well with Necro since necro is by nature more support-y than some others. Going for some physical stuff can be nice since Necro shreds physical armor since most of its dmg is physical, but that depends on what you want your necro to be, a caster or a melee with some spells. It works well with either.

If you want to go caster, you can go hydro to use Decaying Touch > heal combos, or maybe pyro for some big damage although there's not much synergy between the 2 other than Shackle of Pain then aoe yourself+your target for double dipping damage and self healing. You could add Summoning for well, summons, but then you'll often have AP issues since summoning is very demanding on AP so you won't be doing a lot of necro stuff, and one of the better necro spell is the Bone Widow, a summon, which you can't use while having the Incarnate from Summoning out, so that kinda sucks.

If you do a melee, warfare is definitely great with Necro, can do either Str build which is more melee with necro spells being support stuff, or you can go Int with staff as a weapon, you won't do as much damage but you can use a lot of the warfare skills to apply CC like knockdown and cripple. Scoundrel can probably work maybe too but I find the AP efficiency of non backstab skills in comparison to backstab stuff generally means they're rarely worth casting so it won't feel very necro-ish.

Anyway there's a lot of variations, it's kinda up to you.

Top Bottom