• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

Gattsu25

Banned
Reading through the thread here and people are still bad at spoiler tags.

To reiterate, this is how you DO NOT spoiler tag:
past you said:
Just fought
godzilla
. WOW, what a fight!

You should try to give some non-spoilery context so that people know roughly where you are. IE:
future you said:
A few hours in to Act 2. Just fought
mothman
and that was crazy!
Quoting for the new page

Xater

I need some help for the end of the first act.

I think my party is as well equipped as possible and they are at level 7. The fight against Alexander just seems impossible. I also can't beat the dumb witch in the Dragon quest.

Gaz_RB

I think my party is as well equipped as possible and they are at level 7. The fight against Alexander just seems impossible. I also can't beat the dumb witch in the Dragon quest.

beat the witch and make sure you get to 8. Can't imagine beating that fight at 7. You also have to break out the source magic with him.

Llyranor

How much does it cost to respec?
You can but you'd have to go buy/steal new skill books. You won't learn a bunch of Geomancy skills for free if you respec from Pyromancy. You can buy Geomancy skillbooks and learn them just fine though.
What is this buying thing you refer to?

Lucifon

I'm struggling with my 4th character, any advice would be great. My main is a Seville ranger with a crossbow dealing some hefty damage. 2nd is the Red Prince as a super tanky 1h+shield warrior/geomancer. Third is Lohse as an Air/Water mage. 4th I feel like I need to be melee (2 melee 2 ranged works well), but they just feel so out of place and get kited hard by many tough encounters ending up being not much more than a sponge.

I originally ran with Beast as a 2h damage dealer but he felt a little underpowered. I since switched to Fane (largely due to his personality) as a 2h melee necromancer but having to worry about him being unable to heal through natural regen spells just adds a whole extra layer of difficulty (albeit a cool mechanic) which is making things even tougher.

Any recommendations for my final party member?

Rad-

27 hours played and I just now realize I can mark items to sell in bulk using left shift + left click ffffuuuuuuuuuuck.

I'm struggling with my 4th character, any advice would be great. My main is a Seville ranger with a crossbow dealing some hefty damage. 2nd is the Red Prince as a super tanky 1h+shield warrior/geomancer. Third is Lohse as an Air/Water mage. 4th I feel like I need to be melee (2 melee 2 ranged works well), but they just feel so out of place.

I originally ran with Beast as a 2h damage dealer but he felt a little underpowered. I since switched to Fane (largely due to his personality) as a 2h melee necromancer but having to worry about him being unable to heal through natural regen spells just adds a whole extra layer of difficulty (albeit a cool mechanic) which is making things even tougher.

2h melee + necro is good, I have similar myself. I wouldn't worry about the undead part as you can eventually get more than enough poison potions for him. Just give him some armor regen skills.

TripleBee

Addicted to this game. The only issue I have is that the quest log seems to be hit and miss and keep both my girlfriend's and I's logs in sync, even though we're doing everything together.

ObsidianG

I'm struggling with my 4th character, any advice would be great. My main is a Seville ranger with a crossbow dealing some hefty damage. 2nd is the Red Prince as a super tanky 1h+shield warrior/geomancer. Third is Lohse as an Air/Water mage. 4th I feel like I need to be melee (2 melee 2 ranged works well), but they just feel so out of place and get kited hard by many tough encounters ending up being not much more than a sponge.

I don't have much experience with a dual wielding rogue in DOS2, but that could be an option for Ifan? With their vault skill and the pawn talent, you shouldn't have a problem getting into backstab position to deal bonus damage to your opponents. The chloroform skill is also really good for CC, and you could add some polymorph skills for added cc (tentacle lash and chicken were great in the EA). Another option for the rogue would be to give him decaying touch and restoration, instead of polymorph since he will be in melee range to take advantage of that combo, once you remove physical armor on tough opponents.

Couple of questions if anyone would like to help:

1. Okay, so I've decided to switch my plan up a bit and try to make my main character a Tanky Water/Geo cleric. Heavy Armor, shield using healer. Would this make sense? If so, any suggestions for other skills and stats and talents? Should I just pump Constitution and Memory instead of a damage stat? Or would it make sense to go into either STR or Int?

2. Is Thievery tied to anything specific other than that specific skill? Like is there any reason to necessarily make your dual wielding rogue the thief over anyone else?

3. Are the races all that impactful in terms of what class they should be? Like I want to make one of the characters a dw dagger rogue, but I kind of wanted it to be Ifan or Lohse, but would Sebille make for a much better one?

Discovered that High level spell (Meteor shower etc) Need source points to cast them

Sigh

Source points are really not that hard to obtain. You can find unlimited tanks of source in certain areas, just throw a teleporter pyramid next to one and you can juice up whenever you want. There are also consumables that grant them, skills that can steal them from enemies, etc.

Gorger

Just staring the game. Left the ship and exploring the Island. Enjoying this game immensely. Really good writing I enjoy the dialogue a lot. It almost feels like a Baldur's Gate game... I am so happy! Having everything voiced is also a huge plus.

Xyber

For the witch, put your entire party up on the cliff she walks to when the fight starts but do not block the path or she will stay in the same spot. One thing that helped a lot was to make most of the ground wet where she stands during the conversation and then use that to freeze the zombies. Just try and hold them off while you take out the flying enemies with ranged magic spells. Depending on how your party looks like you might have to do some stuff differently. But we had 2 spellcasters focusing on keeping the zombies away and killing the flyers. Then my buddy had a rogue character that quickly took down her phys armor and then he and I took turns knocking her down and doing damage while the mages focused down the other stuff. The source magic bubble for armor regen was also very helpful. This is how we ended up doing it after a few failed attempts on Tactician. And I would say that this fight was quite a bit easier than the Alexander one.

Shinjica

Source points are really not that hard to obtain. You can find unlimited tanks of source in certain areas, just throw a teleporter pyramid next to one and you can juice up whenever you want. There are also consumables that grant them, skills that can steal them from enemies, etc.

If so they could have not added it IMO. I know the First one was easy but they are limiting top much

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I think one of the reasons I find combat more difficult than I should in the first game and this one is positioning. Unless you are specifically preparing for a fight you are about to enter, your party is usually clumped up together while the engaging party is almost always intelligently spread out. It's definitely something I have to get used to and plan for if I'm going to have any degree of success.

I think one of the reasons I find combat more difficult than I should in the first game and this one is positioning. Unless you are specifically preparing for a fight you are about to enter, your party is usually clumped up together while the engaging party is almost always intelligently spread out. It's definitely something I have to get used to and plan for if I'm going to have any degree of success.

Yeah, careful use of scouting and the various teleportation spells really pay off in pre-combat planning. If I can't get my archer to high ground before combat I'll usually just restart.

Reading through the thread here and people are still bad at spoiler tags.

To reiterate, this is how you DO NOT spoiler tag:
Just fought
godzilla.
WOW, what a fight!

You should try to give some non-spoilery context so that people know roughly where you are. IE:
few hours in to Act 2. Just fought
mothman
and that was crazy!

Yeah, spoiler tagging appropriately is a virtue that lots of GAF are still lacking.

Regarding the recommended tagging, I'd prefer giving a small context then spoiler tag the rest of your post. IE:
Mid Act 2 questions:
Just encountered mothman and that was a crazy fight!
Where do I found the quest giver of quest A after I'm done with his errands?

That's what the sneaking skill is for. Scout the area, prepare your party, un-chain everyone and place them in appropriate positions.

You can also play around with your formation if you don't want to deal with all of that. Place your mage/archer at the very back. It's quite useful for the ambush fights as well.

Should I play now or wait for a couple of patches? Also no idea where to even begin with character creation...

Right now it seems like the only major, commonly recurring bug is an issue with the quest log not recording certain quests as being complete.

They stated they have a patch coming out this week- if the quest log thing is patched then I think it will be in pretty good shape.

There will probably be balance patches somewhere along the line.

cofias

Anyone else have issues with the game freezing up for a second or so when enemies die or someone casts a spell? I have a consistent 60fps with any graphics settings, I'm playing on a laptop with a 6GB 1060 GTX, 7700HQ, 16gb ram. Can run any modern game with fair settings.

Lucifon

Right now it seems like the only major, commonly recurring bug is an issue with the quest log not recording certain quests as being complete.

They stated they have a patch coming out this week- if the quest log thing is patched then I think it will be in pretty good shape.

There will probably be balance patches somewhere along the line.

'Wet' characters too. My Lohse is forever wet and it's pretty frustrating. I know there's a way to fix it by using save editing tools but I don't really want to do that ideally.

kionedrik

I thought about this issue and my conclusion is that the game's more difficult because of the effect armor (physical and magic) has on crowd control abilities and how it negates their effect unless they armor value is zero, contrary to the first game's random number affected by your skill/spell level.
It's a deterministic vs random number approach but you lose the possibility of controlling the fight since the beginning. You're forced to whitle down each enemy before you can control it, let alone all the other enemies that aren't currently being focused. There are more AoE abilities but their overall effectiveness is lower than their single target counterparts in the first game. Add the fact healing items/spells seems less effective and cooldowns are also higher and you get harder fights.

Hey, enjoying the game a ton so far, playing in co-op with the wife. Only issues is I can't get the game to downsample using dsr in the nvidia control panel. Anybody else having this issue? I enabled all of the dsr factors, start up the game, and I only get 1080p option in the video settings in game (1080p is the native resolution of the monitor). Any help would be appreciated.

AJLma

Just made it to act 2, swapped out Fane
he dies too easily even with a shield, maybe next playthrough I'll main him
for Sebille and made her a metamorphing rogue with a focus on high damage melee + movement/cloaking skills. Maaan. These combos...There hasn't been a cooler ninja since gaiden. This game is so much fun. I'm really hoping it gets the critic props that it deserves.

1. Okay, so I've decided to switch my plan up a bit and try to make my main character a Tanky Water/Geo cleric. Heavy Armor, shield using healer. Would this make sense? If so, any suggestions for other skills and stats and talents? Should I just pump Constitution and Memory instead of a damage stat? Or would it make sense to go into either STR or Int?

2. Is Thievery tied to anything specific other than that specific skill? Like is there any reason to necessarily make your dual wielding rogue the thief over anyone else?

3. Are the races all that impactful in terms of what class they should be? Like I want to make one of the characters a dw dagger rogue, but I kind of wanted it to be Ifan or Lohse, but would Sebille make for a much better one?

If anyone can help with this it would be much appreciated

Also, is it true that if you choose Ifan as your main character, you lose out on his free natural pet pal talent?

Is there a point when stat investment gives diminishing returns?

I have Finesse at 20 and want to boost Wits/Memory a little and Constitution, but wondering what will be worth it in the long run. Dual dagger wielding Shadowblade fwiw.

Edit: I'm not sure what level would be expected for the final boss if we try to clear as much quests + monsters/map as possible...but my general thinking is Fin 20/Con 15 etc...so the next tier would be 30/25 and so on

Hey, enjoying the game a ton so far, playing in co-op with the wife. Only issues is I can't get the game to downsample using dsr in the nvidia control panel. Anybody else having this issue? I enabled all of the dsr factors, start up the game, and I only get 1080p option in the video settings in game (1080p is the native resolution of the monitor). Any help would be appreciated.

I can't help with your issue but I can confirm that DSR works fine on my end. I'm running at 1600p on a 1200p monitor.

Khoryos

There's one thing that annoyed me at the end of act one/ Beginning of act two:

I stole Aleksander's face and exploded his corpse! Don't give me that "just a flesh wound"
bollocks.

bati

Anyway, I'm enjoying the game a lot despite restarting a couple of times right after reaching Fort Joy and once after the arena. Now I'm doing a summoner Fane with Lucky Charm. Good times.
Couple of guys were complaining about the loot. For them, Lucky Charm is a must. The game feels much more "natural" loot-wise this way. And let's face it, going around pickpocketing everyone gets old fast.

It's super annoying that you have to switch characters all the time for this though. Same goes for bartering. And don't even get me started on NPCs 'ambushing' you with a convo and talking to one of your guys that doesn't have persuasion.

It kinda pisses me off to be honest. I get the logic behind it but it still annoys me because the game is bursting with QoL features otherwise.

I'd also like to see quest items marked in the inventory and traders shown on the minimap with a different icon.

Is anyone playing with Lone Wolf btw? Do you get more turns in combat? I'm totally ready to drop some party members (despite their charming personalities) just to cut down on all this bullshit micromanagement.

Has anyone given Dungeon Master mode a shot? I have D2, but haven't had any time to really dig into it? If so, is there a comparable way to emulate basic dnd spells - such as magic missile or other "go to" spells?

Sanctuary

27 hours played and I just now realize I can mark items to sell in bulk using left shift + left click ffffuuuuuuuuuuck.

LOL, I just figured that out about an hour ago myself. I kept noticing that nothing was ever in the wares tab, so I figured it must be something later on. Then I right clicked on a piece of gear...

Question- I know that Chris Avellone wrote Fane's origin story but what, exactly, does that entail? Pre-release I had thought the game was like DA: Origins and would have a separate playable chapter for each character. But that's not the case. Does that mean that Avellone wrote the entire character quest for Fane?

I can't really recommend a 'tank only' character. Enemies are usually pretty clever and will avoid enemies with high armor if they can - taunt is blocked by physical armor so if you're not doing damage you can't taunt at all. If you're going Water/Geo that means you'll need an int weapon which means either staves or wands. Staves are pretty good for damage in melee but then you're missing out on shield, which are pretty great for survivability.

Nope. Anyone with poly1 can cloak which is really the only useful skill for stealing.

The racial abilities are pretty good? Honestly I think the elf ability is clearly the best so yes: Sebille makes the best anything. Will it really affect your game if you want them to do something different? No, don't let that stand in your way.

Hope this helps.

ObsidianG

Also, is it true that if you choose Ifan as your main character, you lose out on his free natural pet pal talent?

I made a Hydro/Geo tank during the early access, and I can say that it work well on classic difficulty. My approach to hybrid classes in DOS has been to focus on physical damage, and invest only the minimum points in Geo/hydro for the spell requirements. So You could go 12 int, then focus on increasing strength and memory/wits as your main stats. I mainly used restoration, frost armor and rain from hydro, as well as boulder bash, fossil strike and fortify from geomancy. Those skills were mainly for utility and crowd control purposes once I removed the physical armor of my opponents, because status effect chance such as slow and crippled weren't dependent on intelligence scaling. I only had battle stomp and blitz from the warfare skill tree, but it worked well together!

One thing to consider is having characters with Aerothurge and Pyromancy skills to take advantage of the puddles of water / oil / blood you will be making.

I have never taken Ifan as a MC, so I can't comment on the pet pal skill loss.

Does NPC Ifan have three talents, always including Pet Pal? I didn't pay much attention to it, but if that's true then, yeah, you'd lose out on the "third" bonus talent--you can only choose two at character creation.

1. Int will be your key stat on those skill trees, since it will primarily scale off of Int. But you will want some Str and Con to keep yourself tanky in heavy armour, and some Mem for your two skill trees. The Str would also help your default attack, assuming you're using melee weapons (You could use wands or a staff, though). I'd additionally recommend using a shield if you're going melee, because otherwise you'll be pretty fragile--you'll sacrifice a lot of mobility for some good survivability. (Rogue characters only survive without a shield because of their mobility/escape skills.)

For talents, the only one I'd absolutely recommend is Pet Pal. It's a lot of fun and will help you throughout the game.

2. Thievery is tied to stealth because you must be in stealth to pickpocket. But in terms of other stats or skills, no. (The only thing that affects it is some equipment that gives a bonus to it.)

3. No. In terms of combat, race affects innate skills (you can see them during character creation; origins and custom races have different ones) and that's it. They have an impact, but they're not that important. Do whatever you want.
Edit: Whoops, forgot something big: Undead have a racial ability to pick locks (their bony fingers are the best lockpicks--always available!) and lizards can dig with their claws, not needing a shovel. Dunno if there's more, but that would make Undead a natural choice for rogues. Additionally, Undead are healed by poison, and damaged by traditional healing, and immune to some status effects, throwing traditional gameplay on its head. (I can't believe I forgot this...)
Question- I know that Chris Avellone wrote Fane's origin story but what, exactly, does that entail? Pre-release I had thought the game was like DA: Origins and would have a separate playable chapter for each character. But that's not the case. Does that mean that Avellone wrote the entire character quest for Fane?

In one of the last Kickstarter Updates, probably the Undead one, one of the developers mentioned (note that I'm going off memory here) that he gave them a pitch for the character that would become Fane, and Larian themselves adjusted it to fit into the lore/game, and then implemented it themselves. Or at least, that was the impression they gave me; they never said "he wrote it," so much as, "it was his idea."

Trickster

I'm about to finish Act 1 and it said that all my quests would get closed. But that doesn't really make sense to me, most of my quests are clearly not some you can finish on the island?

Also, I'm worried that some of my companions questlines might be bugged? For Beast, the journal has literally only registered me meeting him, and
getting the key for the prison from his dwarven friend in the arena area.
I've had him in my party since meeting him....

It only closes the quests that are island specific. Usually the quest will have something like "Need to see blahblahblah on the mainland for..." which means it'll stay in your log.

I had the same thing with Beast, his story keeps going once you get into Act 2, no worries.

Trickster

It only closes the quests that are island specific. Usually the quest will have something like "Need to see blahblahblah on the mainland for..." which means it'll stay in your log.

I had the same thing with Beast, his story keeps going once you get into Act 2, no worries.

Awesome, thanks for putting me at ease :p

Phew, good to know. I've had some stalled companion quests too. Was sweating how to proceed...

Like, Ifan's been wanting to talk to somebody for a while. What he isn't aware of is that he helped me kill them ten hours ago.

How do you make your character take a direct route with the Fly ability? I tried to get my character to fly directly into a good sniping position but instead of going straight up he just floated the normal long way around.

How do you make your character take a direct route with the Fly ability? I tried to get my character to fly directly into a good sniping position but instead of going straight up he just floated the normal long way around.

You mean from the polymorpher skill? You'll get an extra ability added to your hotbar. Activate that and choose your destination to fly there.

Note that you'll need a clear line of sight to reach the location. So you can't fly over a high wall or anything like that, unless you can already see the other side.

oupi

End of act 1 questions

Outcomes of killling and not killing Gratiana? Does she continue to act 2? She had some good loot on her
2. Burning Pigs quest.
I blessed all the pigs and one is back at Amada's shrine. The water kills the pig though and I can't bless it. What are my options?
3. A fate worse than dead quest.
I got the three soul jars of the necro mancers. Killing them loots me a filthy key. Where is it used? What does absorbing the soul do? My source points didn't increase.
4. Source skills
Any other source skills to gain in Act one than Bless,Closed Circuit and the item ones?
5. Artefacts of the Tyrant quest and cursed ring quest.
I found all three pieces but I can't get the curse off. I dropped all items and blessed them and also tried equipping them and blessing the character. Same for the cursed ring. How do I remove the curse?

I know its been asked in this thread, but I can't find a response to the question: Does the GM mode have any spoilers in it outside of showing you possible new locations?

Top Bottom