• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

Moff

So is it just me or are summoners pretty broken? My mate is playing one and the damage he does it absurd, not to mention he does magic damage as well as physical.

summon incarnate is my single most important ability in this game

So is it just me or are summoners pretty broken? My mate is playing one and the damage he does it absurd, not to mention he does magic damage as well as physical.

They are pretty powerful. The supposed downside is that the caster itself needs to be protected or else their summons will go bye bye on death. Luckily I have two frontline characters. I'm on classic difficulty and plan to do the same build on tactician eventually so it might change there.

Sarcasm

I restarted as tactican duo lone wolf and I can't get past the fight to get to the
boat
in Act 1.

This was so easy as duo lone wolf summoners...but inquisitor and ranger ain't doing much to these dudes with high shields...

=(

I mean my inquisitor doesn't even get a turn after the first before dying in many horrible ways =(

This isn't some big fight either..its to get out to the next town from the fort. I thought this would be trivial but I guess my MP save summoners are OP AF.

Doesn't help that these enemies have 100 in physical and more in magical..

While I only have like 20. I thought tactican was more than just padding of the numbers.

Where can I get more exp? I went everywhere and talked to everybody before going into the fort...

Jisgsaw

Did the same.
But the "thing" I'm talking about doesn't seem to be a physical item, it's mentioned just in the dialogue with him after you beat the guy.

And since the benefit of doing as he suggests seems to be very good
(one additional source point for the entire party)
, I'm just wondering if the same doesn't go for the aftermath (some shitty side-effect or consequence).

As I accepted his bargain (only to kill him right after, no way was I letting him live) I can tell you there is no immediate downside. But as I'm still in act 2 myself, I couldn't tell you if there's long term effect.

This game is amazing...AMAZING! 30 hours in and everything around the next corner makes me smile, and there is always more. So many cleverly hidden things, linked characters, etc. Insane.

I know everyone is finding the broken skills...I'm on the easiest difficulty so I don't really sweat it. No one is optimal and I don't have to worry about it. I did notice that for only 1 point in Warfare, Shield Throw is ridiculous. It bases all its damage off its physical protection, so it can halve the health of multiple enemies at once, and its ranged, AND you get the protection from it with Shields Up as well!

Really I'm not sure if I want to ever up the difficulty seeing how combat plays out. The AI is on Mario Kart cheater levels - they know the exact pixel you can't target with an ability, they know where your invisible guys are, and they always burn down the weakest guy. Most fights start with you surrounded, necessitating the use of teleport abilities. Can't say its my favorite part of the game.

Sarcasm

Pretty sure tactician also has AI changes, they'll utilize the environment and combos to a higher extent than classic.

That what I was trying to say. They did the same thing no matter which mode I was in with my many act 1 playthroughs.

Except this time they had massive armour and hp numbers.

Where can you find the red ball?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm quite sure I'll finish this without ever really getting it, I've accepted the fact I'll have to complete it on easy as I get shit on whilst playing on normal (enemies always seem to have more HP, more armor, better skills and do more damage than me on anything above easy). It's an amazing time killer though, I get lost in this game for hours on end, I can't remember the last time a game melted away time like this.

That what I was trying to say. They did the same thing no matter which mode I was in with my many act 1 playthroughs.

Except this time they had massive armour and hp numbers.

Where can you find the red ball?

I feel like it's something that would become more prevalent as the game goes on and more abilities/options open up to the player and enemies. They'll take advantage of those options and possibilities than classic or lower enemies would. That's just a complete guess on my part though.

justjim89

So... questions as I think I'm preparing to end act 1. My team just hit level 7 and I
saved Gareth, and now the Seeker camp has moved locations.

Do I have to wrap up all Companion/Fort Joy quests first? I haven't really played any of the other companions though I did find them all. I know Ifan said he has to kill Alexander, does Alexander live in Fort Joy?

Am I at a good level for where I'm at and what I'm about to do?

Kard8p3

So... questions as I think I'm preparing to end act 1. My team just hit level 7 and I
saved Gareth, and now the Seeker camp has moved locations.

Do I have to wrap up all Companion/Fort Joy quests first? I haven't really played any of the other companions though I did find them all. I know Ifan said he has to kill Alexander, does Alexander live in Fort Joy?

Am I at a good level for where I'm at and what I'm about to do?

Don't worry about looking for Alexander, you'll literally run into him soon enough. I don't think you can actually switch companions at the moment, or at least I couldn't find them after I sent some of them away during Act 1. I'd try to do the companion quests you do have at the moment though. Try to get to level 8, it'll make the upcoming section easier. If you're having trouble with it, there's a way to cheese it also.

Speely

Banned
I have very limited time to play games of late (adulting sucks) and so I have been restarting a lot and trying out new combos. It's hard to follow quest lines when you are pulled away from them for a day or more (and you have 8 of them running in the first place.)

I am not complaining. It's really fun to try new setups between 2 x LW and 4 x Whatever and see how different the game plays depending.

I might not beat this game for months, but it's so goddamn fun trying diff stuff out that I don't care.

Best CRPG I have played since PoE... Not that they are very similar, but yeah. I also think it's just better than PoE, despite liking RTwP more than turn-based on paper.

Maximo

Funny how big the thread on subreddit is alot didn't seem to realize how OP Bedroll is, shit is a must first thing you do when you start your game, heal yourself after every fight just run your characters through traps, heal, and keep going.

I feel like the game's trying to force me into combat against people with armour and magic armour before most of my team have any of it. Where am I going wrong?

Speely

Banned
Funny how big the thread on subreddit is alot didn't seem to realize how OP Bedroll is, shit is a must first thing you do when you start your game, heal yourself after every fight just run your characters through traps, heal, and keep going.

And you can get it on the starting ship! That one item makes every fight a microcosm. It's not apparent at first since it's kinda lumped in with a lot of shovel-loot.

Sure, fights can be tough before you have a party and/or bonuses from LW, but still. Having a party insta-heal between battles is fucking clutch sometimes.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Enemies do 100+ damage easily per attack, My guys do nothing compared to that. Everyone dies in a few turns from right clicks. GG

How friendly is the Divinity series to newbs like me? Im feeling fantasy rpgish after Im finished with Destiny 2, and ive been looking at either Pillars of Eternity or Divinity and leaning towards Divinity since the sequel came out and has lots of buzz surrounding it.

How friendly is the Divinity series to newbs like me? Im feeling fantasy rpgish after Im finished with Destiny 2, and ive been looking at either Pillars of Eternity or Divinity and leaning towards Divinity since the sequel came out and has lots of buzz surrounding it.

Divinity feels friendly that Pillars, to me. It's got a much more approachable atmosphere.

Sarcasm

Yea I am going to start over.

My skill setup must suck balls in at least Tactican. I can't even kill lvl 3 (I am same level) dudes as they have 3x the shielding and 1.5x the actions per move. I stole every skill book too so it is not like I don't have anything..I can't do much in combat no matter how I set it up. Dudes with 90 physical armour and 85 magical...O.O

Duo Lone Wolf here.

I may as well have 0 with how many turns they can do, even after walking from across the damn hall. What is so tactical about this, I can't do anything this early in the game >.>

I may as well do skill combo experimenting fun on classic and go cheesy zzz summoning on tactical.

Stiler

Does it bug anyone else about Fane and Lady Amadia's
bless hurts him? I mean undead + heal = harmful normally, but this should be an exception. It makes NO sense story wise that she'd give you this "blessing" and tell you to literally walk into it and be reborn. I legit DIED when I did that and couldn't understand why they made her bless harmful to Fane. It completely goes against all the dialogue/story for that.

Playing as Lohse, it's really odd that the people in the Fort Joy cave
start beating on my other party members when I talk to Saheila and the demon takes control of my mind
. These guys beat the crap out of the Red Prince and he died wasting a resurrection scroll. I was all please stop?

Also I heard you can bone Fane (heh) late game. WTF, he's a skeleton, how are you supposed to even have sex with him, lol

Maximo

Some quests can be a bit difficult the game can be vague leaves it up to you to find answers at times sorta like DnD thinking outside the box, thankfully with the game being early acess for awhile and how popular it is it isn't to hard to find an answer from someone. The easiest difficulty means you can brute force your way through most battles if your finding it too hard.

Venfayth

Full act 1 spoilers

I restarted and finally just finished act 1 again. I decided to fight and kill
the ice dragon
instead of saving him, and it was a pretty epic fight. Lots of fun though, and great loot.

Also managed to complete
the Tyrant set
and that was an interesting thing as well, especially
when you fight the demon that comes out of the helmet

Ultimately I'm glad I went back to do things a bit differently. Hoping I don't feel the urge to restart yet again :p

Ulong

When my friend and I played this in the early access, I used two pretty physical characters and he used two pretty magical characters. This lead to situations where it often felt like we weren't really helping eachother, effectively we were working on two different health bars and every point of damage I did had no effect on his ability to do good things with magic.

This still plays that way right? With the Magic armor and physical armor stuff.

For the discover secrets check does it matter who the player is controlling?

IE if Sebille has the highest Wits check on the team will she call out secrets even if I'm controlling Ifan?

I find myself doing better in my restart now that I didn't buy a ton of spellbooks that fit only 1 archetype leading to bad skillsets. This game gets ridiculously hard in Act 1 if you choose the spellbooks wrong. They're expensive so I have to steal most of them this early in the game.

Maximo

When my friend and I played this in the early access, I used two pretty physical characters and he used two pretty magical characters. This lead to situations where it often felt like we weren't really helping eachother, effectively we were working on two different health bars and every point of damage I did had no effect on his ability to do good things with magic.

This still plays that way right? With the Magic armor and physical armor stuff.

Some enemies have double if not triple defenses to either physical or magical it can make encounters difficult if you focus on just physical or magical chartacters, like my rogue solely focuses on elimating magic users with low pwhyical armor and shred them to pieces while my mages nuke down melee users who often have high armor.

Some enemies have double if not triple defenses to either physical or magical it can make encounters difficult if you focus on just physical or magical chartacters, like my rogue solely focuses on elimating magic users with low pwhyical armor and shred them to pieces while my mages nuke down melee users who often have high armor.

Environmental attacks also tend to shred through magic armor, so overall it's easier to take down magic armor heavy people imo. Get some nasty environmental combos going and it'll blast their armor to pieces.

Speely

Banned

Pillars is great and has a more gradual difficulty curve on "normal" difficulty.

D:OS2 is amazing and has a harder diff curve on normal difficulty.

Both are very forgiving on easy, so you have options.

I feel like Divinity has a bit more to absorb if you want to get decent, while Pillars has more concessions for new players. Both are quality games, but I think Divinity is in a league of its own, and is worth learning the ropes of. Tons of payoff.

Top Bottom