• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

Yeah, I'm right there with you. It sucks, but it's part of having a game with this sort of breadth.

And yeah, did you ever figure out how to actually
kill the mother tree? Saheila said stab it in the heart, so I go down there but I can't attack it. Fighting the scion didn't do anything either. Then of course I get jumped to Act 4 and all of the sudden Saheila's a dryad. Didn't even get an ending note on Saheila's after that, which is funny because I got one from her mother that was obviously supposed to be led into by Saheila's.

Nope, my quicksaves by the time I reached the point of no return had overridden the chance to go back. I assume you just right click and manually attack it? Will try in future playthroughs regardless haha.

Holy shit , I can't believe I (Act 2 Driftwood Sidequest Spoiler)
just intentionally gave someone food poisoning so I could ambush them when they came out of the shitter

I never thought I would see another game with sidequests as good as Baldur's Gate 2 but I think Original Sin 2 might have done it.

Can you specify where Tarquin is
located in the Graveyard?
I am unsure if mine is bugged. For now he is actually back on the ship, selling his wares. But he's not at that other location, and I don't know if he moves or if it's already bugged. To be clear, he hasn't given me a quest yet, and I've been all over that location.

On the south end, just past the Bridgekeeper's House.

Alexander
disappearing was intended. Your journal updates saying he was lost within the Hall of Echoes. As for the guard, I killed her prior to the Hall of Echoes haha.

Damn, that will teach me to avoid reading my journal. Thanks!

Anyone know if they mentioned if there will be dlc/xpacs for this game?

Nothing confirmed. If there are it will probably be expansion packs. Larian was pretty much adamant on getting the game to launch successfully to bother entertaining notion of future content for the game when interviewed in the past.

Stiler

The replenishable Source source is found in Bracchus's Armory, not Vault.

Well this sucks, I went to get that guy, Gareth (IIRC), and the Healing Touch quest auto-fails when I do that....

How do they expect you to do the quest if the source to use Bless is there? or am I missing something?

edit - I'm an idiot, healing touch only requires restoration, not bless, lol.

Zeneric

Man, this game's super high positive reception is drawing my attention. Time to return back to the first game and finish it (I stopped many months ago cuz I was sick of it) before I touch the sequel.

Damn, I just did the
Isbiel fight
in Act 4. Surprisingly difficult I liked it, especially how I breezed easily through all of Act 3 previously; had to actually use my Source abilities, one of the rare occasions I had to on my Classic difficulty playthrough. I'm not sure what the Doomsday device valve was supposed to do though. I used AP to turn the switch once but nothing happened. Anyone know what it does? Speaking of Source abilities, the human racial of Dome of Protection is ridiculously useful. Make sure you have a human in your party people!

Man, this game's super high positive reception is drawing my attention. Time to return back to the first game and finish it (I stopped many months ago cuz I was sick of it) before I touch the sequel.

Honestly I'd say just go straight into the sequel. I didn't finish the first one despite loving the gameplay due to getting bored due to lack of investment in the narrative being told. The sequel is so much more immersive and better written. Also the sequel takes 1200 years ahead of the original game, so its its own story and doesn't rely on the predecessor.

Edit: FUCK! I wasn't supposed to turn that valve >< redoing the fight lawl

Maximo

Help after beating the game with my second character who I made after my first character was more then half way done I now want to make a third character and go through the game again....

635903721510688386834460589_Signs-Youre-Addicted-Netflix.gif

I can't remember the last game I played where time just melted away....actually properly The Witcher 3.

Kuosi

Think it's fair to say that end game physical damage requires some fine tuning when you can oneshot the last boss on tactician

Is the Leech talent bugged or something? No matter what my character won't heal when standing on blood, or that the healing is so tiny I don't see a difference. There's no icon to show the character is being healed, right?

Is the Leech talent bugged or something? No matter what my character won't heal when standing on blood, or that the healing is so tiny I don't see a difference. There's no icon to show the character is being healed, right?

You need to walk around in blood. Your character just standing there wont do much.

kionedrik

Help after beating the game with my second character who I made after my first character was more then half way done I now want to make a third character and go through the game again....

I can't remember the last game I played where time just melted away....actually properly The Witcher 3.

That's what happened to me in the first game. Finished it in classic difficulty (took me around ~70h) and immediately started a new game in tactician.
I feel I'll do the same in this game when I eventually finish it. I already know what class & race combo my new guy is going to be and I'll just take the 3 companions left out in the first playthrough.
Larian has some sort of crack injected into their games.

So, who is the guy behind the narrative voice? And how much Larian paid him?

If they were to approach me to voice the narrator, I'd rather die lol.

These romance/sexy time narration, I couldn't imagine voicing them.

Maximo

Its even better when your playing as Fane and he narrates whats happening to you..*I can't feel shit, IM A SKELETON! None of this makes sense!*

Question: are there any narrative consequences to rushing through 'Troubled Waters' (skipping most dialogue)? I'm playing around with builds / party composition and would like to get to Fort Joy sooner.

For real haha. Sebille's sex scene was straight up erotica but the dude's narration was hilarious.

Found another bug, or at least it seems like a bug with how the buff is written:

Spider Legs grants you the ability to shoot webs, and additionally, becoming enwebbed grants you haste instead of the debuff. But if you already have haste (at any duration), enwebbed will be applied and not removed:

Reivaxe

Damn, think Imma re-roll monday.

I figured I'd hold out for respec after I had the reg stuff but damn ... it's nothing like realizingf you poorly thought things out and now only your rouge can kill shit.

Lesson learned ...

Found another bug, or at least it seems like a bug with how the buff is written:

Spider Legs grants you the ability to shoot webs, and additionally, becoming enwebbed grants you haste instead of the debuff. But if you already have haste (at any duration), enwebbed will be applied and not removed:

Interesting, I run spider legs as well and often trap my tank/party members (due to having spider legs on the tank character) yet I never gotten a haste buff.

Its even better when your playing as Fane and he narrates whats happening to you..*I can't feel shit, IM A SKELETON! None of this makes sense!*

I really need to play as Fane on my 2nd playthrough. I keep hearing good things about him.

For real haha. Sebille's sex scene was straight up erotica but the dude's narration was hilarious.

I couldn't stand it lol, so cringe but it's actually a good voice act.

I figured I'd hold out for respec after I had the reg stuff but damn ... it's nothing like realizingf you poorly thought things out and now only your rouge can kill shit.

Lesson learned ...

There's a mod if you want to respec in the first act.

He's so good.
Theres a scene involving red prince in act 2.... one of the funniest scenes in a video game.

I swear he was also part of the voice cast in Divinity II: Ego Draconis.

Act 4 I'm really liking, spoilers ahoy but I just
delved into the Magister hideout and then dealt with the dwarves underneath the sewers. Queen Justinia is pretty legit and I let her live.
On that note, I think either I missed something or I encountered a journal bug.

After the sewer ordeal my journal stated that
Krem was part of the Black Ring and was trying to break into Arhu's place, hell I didn't know Arhu was part of the game (another character from the previous game)
The problem being I never met said character down in my trip in the sewers nor encountered any clues. Anyone know if said revelation was supposed to be revealed in the
Magister hideout?
If so, I might've just missed it.

Yeah, that makes it a bit useless IMO...

I kind of agree haha, honestly if you want to absorb blood, get the necro bloodsucker ability for your characters

Stiler

So in Braccus Rex armory,

Is there no way to cure Magister Sang? I cast Bless on him, Rejuvanation, etc and nothing works.

Jisgsaw

Oh my god, now I understand the complaints about the burning pits battle.
And on top of all that, the performance is dreadfull
with all this fire

Maximo

Act 4 I'm really liking, spoilers ahoy but I just
delved into the Magister hideout and then dealt with the dwarves underneath the sewers. Queen Justinia is pretty legit and I let her live.
On that note, I think either I missed something or I encountered a journal bug.

After the sewer ordeal my journal stated that
Krem was part of the Black Ring and was trying to break into Arhu's place, hell I didn't know Arhu was part of the game (another character from the previous game)
The problem being I never met said character down in my trip in the sewers nor encountered any clues. Anyone know if said revelation was supposed to be revealed in the
Magister hideout?
If so, I might've just missed it.

I kind of agree haha, honestly if you want to absorb blood, get the necro bloodsucker ability for your characters

Clues and the character turn up later/another quest.

Lanrutcon

Oh my god, now I understand the complaints about the burning pits battle.
And on top of all that, the performance is dreadfull
with all this fire

Connect all the fire together with more fire, then bless it all, then cast rain, then have the NPC fuck up your plans by casting shocking touch.

Cancel the rest of your evening just for the fight.

AndersK

Lesson learned ...

Would You Mind giving a summary? We have many posters asking for good build advice, and it'd be interesting to see a build preventing you from advancing. Are you on tactician?

Jisgsaw

Connect all the fire together with more fire, then bless it all, then cast rain, then have the NPC fuck up your plans by casting shocking touch.

Cancel the rest of your evening just for the fight.

Well, managed it with only one death, summoners really are OP lol.
I have to say, I almost rage quitted when all these fire blobs appeared after all the oil blobs put fire everywhere... especial as that stupid NPC exploded all water barrels against the oil blobs... Strangely enough, the one that came the closest to kill the NPC was a random soldier that appeared near the end of the fight :/

Orcastar

Got my collector's edition yesterday, so now I can finally jump in. Problem is, I can't decide whether to play as Fane (summoning/necromancy) or a custom female lizard (polymorph) ... Already played through the opening section three times.

I'm up to the end of act 1 after 25 hours. Probably a little less since I idled a bit. The game really is super wonderful. The balance between Larian's quirkiness and serious story telling is spot on. I went to reroll a couple of times but decided to stick with it before respeccing later.

MC is Lohse along with Fane, Red Prince and Ifan. Looking forward to playing with the other cast again.

I'm enjoying Lohse as a summoner with Aero and Hydro to back her up. I think I'll end up going Necro/Warfare with Fane, Scoundrel/Ranged with Ifan and fill in the gaps with Red Prince.

Souls reference in act 4. In the area with loads of
illusory walls

Got my collector's edition yesterday, so now I can finally jump in. Problem is, I can't decide whether to play as Fane (summoning/necromancy) or a custom female lizard (polymorph) ... Already played through the opening section three times.

Really recommend an all origin character party.
If OS2 was GoT, the origin characters would be the stark kids.

cevion

Got a question about the two followers that are not in your party after you reach Act 2. This is pertaining to something that happens after your first "big story fight" in Act 2 (said thing happens before you reach act 2's major town). The second spoiler is kind of a big spoiler, don't click unless you are in early act 2 and, (mild location spoiler)
on Lady Vengance, the Ship, and have gotten the ship to move)

Companions-fate's-not-in-your-party-spoiler/question: (Early Act 2)
So after the Dallis fight (didn't manage to kill her in 5 turns - the fight ended prematurely)
I found Ifan and Beast (the two companions not in my party) as ghosts down in the ship. Interacting with them made them die.
The journal now lists their quests as closed and says they're dead because of Dallis.

Would I have prevented their deaths if I defeated Dallis? Any way to have all companions available with you during the entire game, or are they meant to die this way? I would love to swap in, say Beast or Ifan and do all of the companion quests, but maybe that isn't possible in a single play-through? Kinda regret going with Fane and Red Prince, both Beast and Ifan seemed like two cool dudes.

Thanks in advance! Tried to label the spoilers as well as I could.

bati

The AI in this game is really something else. Yesterday when I was playing my dual LW campaign one of my casters got mind controlled. Imagine my surprise when he cast Clear Mind (which was luckily among his memorized skills) on himself. I've been playing rpgs for a long time and this is literally the first time I've seen something like this.

Got a question about the two followers that are not in your party after you reach Act 2. This is pertaining to something that happens after your first "big story fight" in Act 2 (said thing happens before you reach act 2's major town). The second spoiler is kind of a big spoiler, don't click unless you are in early act 2 and, (mild location spoiler)
on Lady Vengance, the Ship, and have gotten the ship to move)

Companions-fate's-not-in-your-party-spoiler/question: (Early Act 2)
So after the Dallis fight (didn't manage to kill her in 5 turns - the fight ended prematurely)
I found Ifan and Beast (the two companions not in my party) as ghosts down in the ship. Interacting with them made them die.
The journal now lists their quests as closed and says they're dead because of Dallis.

Would I have prevented their deaths if I defeated Dallis? Any way to have all companions available with you during the entire game, or are they meant to die this way? I would love to swap in, say Beast or Ifan and do all of the companion quests, but maybe that isn't possible in a single play-through? Kinda regret going with Fane and Red Prince, both Beast and Ifan seemed like two cool dudes.

Thanks in advance! Tried to label the spoilers as well as I could.

They are meant to die.
By the time you get to Act 2 proper you're main party is set and you are stuck with them for the rest of the game. Exception being the ones you can recruit off the lizard lady.

I'll leave it that that's not the last time you'll here from those left behind companions however.

I'm visiting my parents in-law for two days, and I can't stop thinking about this game lol.

Anyway, regarding source masters in Act 2..
As I understand it, I only need to learn from two of them until I have 3 source points, right?

Therefore, I can do anything to the rest of them, including killing them off?

Some of them are quite unique.. or rather, wicked, and I'd like to see them die.

Jisgsaw

Well, managed it with only one death, summoners really are OP lol.
I have to say, I almost rage quitted when all these fire blobs appeared after all the oil blobs put fire everywhere... especial as that stupid NPC exploded all water barrels against the oil blobs... Strangely enough, the one that came the closest to kill the NPC was a random soldier that appeared near the end of the fight :/

Well, so I'm happy to have won the fight and all... but I had put one of my two teleporter pyramid at the entry of the oilfield, and now it disappeared... It's not in any of my mains invetory an I can't teleport to it (it doesn't even show up it the list of available pyramids when I use my other one), anyone know what could have happened to it? Can ennemies pick it up?

It... didn't break because of the fire, did it? :-(
Edit: welp, it did, now to redo the fight... and I only have a save from mid fight, with the pyramid woth only 93HP, sigh :-(

So bout to jump and debating on a party. Ignoring class synergy any thoughts as to who are the most interesting from a story / dialogue perspective?

Right i think Lohse and Sebille are locks. Probably Fane too. Any recommendations between Ifan, Red Prince and the Beast? Probably leaning towards Red Prince.

Maximo

I'm visiting my parents in-law for two days, and I can't stop thinking about this game lol.

Anyway, regarding source masters in Act 2..
As I understand it, I only need to learn from two of them until I have 3 source points, right?

Therefore, I can do anything to the rest of them, including killing them off?

Some of them are quite unique.. or rather, wicked, and I'd like to see them die.

Yep only need 3 source points each master has their own benefits and also consequences depending on who you choose,
I ended up killing or doing every quest for them.

So bout to jump and debating on a party. Ignoring class synergy any thoughts as to who are the most interesting from a story / dialogue perspective?

Right i think Lohse and Sebille are locks. Probably Fane too. Any recommendations between Ifan, Red Prince and the Beast? Probably leaning towards Red Prince.

Yep Lohse. Fane, Red Prince are so far my favorite out of the bunch found their origin stories to be more interesting and personalities to be amusing as you go about this crazy world. You interact with alot of Humans/Dwarfs so Ifran and Beast always have a interesting conversation with most NPC's and their personalities are great cheerful buggers, just found their origin stories to be less interesting, not bad mind you but the rest are more..*fantasy* I guess.

cevion

They are meant to die.
By the time you get to Act 2 proper you're main party is set and you are stuck with them for the rest of the game. Exception being the ones you can recruit off the lizard lady.

I'll leave it that that's not the last time you'll here from those left behind companions however.

Gotcha! Thanks for the reply! Looking forward to whatever you're hinting at in the spoiler :)

cevion

Got high persuasion on one of my characters. Sometimes it comes in handy for getting additional info for a quest, or tricking people. But neglecting persuasion and just fighting seems to give you a ton more XP and some loot (as opposed to 0 xp when using persuasion). Am I right in assuming so? Considering maxing thievery and lucky charm on everyone and ditching persuasion for those extra levels and loot. What do you guys think?

Also, I bring you a bug-related question. After respeccing a couple of times my character portraits now look like pixelated images from a game in the nineties. Sebille, while not as pixelated as The Red Prince, grew tons of moles. Lohse got some scars after her visits to the mirror. Anybody know if there's a way to restore/fix the portraits (an image file I can extract/replace perhaps?) Or are we just waiting for a patch for this? I don't know why this bug annoys me so much as it does, but I want my sexy, high res Red Prince back, and although moles are lovely, (I grew in love with moles when I watched Hot Shots 2 as a kid) I liked Sebille the way she was before she had mirror magic done to her :-(

(This means I am very superficial doesn't it? I should love my companions no matter how they look in their portrait! It's just scary as I feel the Red Prince portrait is just gonna be like this soon. And I made him look so bad ass in game too!

TL;DR: 1) Persuasion is fun but does make you miss out on XP - maybe not worth taking (or just go for the combat option when you can, through another character and keep persuasion for certain quests, I guess?
2) My portraits are messed up after respeccing. I have a pixelated Lizard, my elf grew (tons of) moles and my human stepped out of the mirror with scars all over her face. Is this just a feature, commenting on how plastic surgery/"min-maxing" IRL drives us humans crazy, making us want to "fix" more and more things while in reality, everything just gets worse? This just how mirror magic works in the game? Or is it a bug that is fixable?

Thanks in advance! <3

edit2: sorry for the double post!
& final edit: Interestingly enough, the pixelated portraits don't show up when taking a screenshot through Steam. The added moles and scars do show up on screenshots though. I managed to make a sucky comparison "beforeVSafter-pic" in paint.

Top Bottom