• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter by Larian Studios [Complete, ~$1 million funded]

nyl8661.png

:D

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I'm torn, should I drop my pledge from the $95 to just the basic $28 tier?

I've already funded P:E, Torment, Star Citizen, and a few smaller games. And Konami just announced the MGS Legacy collection, so I'm going to have to shell out for that. And thereby purchase MGS3 for about the 5th time and MGS1 for the 4th time.

On the other hand, I really like the Divinity series. And this game looks very promising. And most importantly, cloth maps.

So cRPG/DivinityGAF, what should I do?

I've already funded P:E, Torment, Star Citizen, and a few smaller games. And Konami just announced the MGS Legacy collection, so I'm going to have to shell out for that. And thereby purchase MGS3 for about the 5th time and MGS1 for the 4th time.

On the other hand, I really like the Divinity series. And this game looks very promising. And most importantly, cloth maps.

It is your money and you're free to do whatever you like with it, but I still have to ask: Why?

To answer your question, I think Larian is far more deserving of our money than Konami. But I'm biased(check the avatar) :p

Durante

It sounds to me like you want that cloth map.

Split the difference at the $65 tier and pick up Dragon Commander!

Munin

If it keeps the momentum (North America help us out here) I think 1 million is possible. If it just gets around 950k or so, maybe they'll say "what the hell" and consider it achieved anyway.

I always wonder though, do Kickstarters really need to be run with these stupid overhead costs? Do we really need five hundred different physical goodies in all shapes and forms? Is that really what gets people to back?

Durante

I always wonder though, do Kickstarters really need to be run with these stupid overhead costs? Do we really need five hundred different physical goodies in all shapes and forms? Is that really what gets people to back?
I certainly wouldn't have backed eternity at the $250 level if I didn't get a signed limited edition copy. And I'd probably go for $65 instead of $95 on this one if not for the cloth map.

I would still back the projects of course, but I think the additional trinkets make it easier for people to justify raising their pledge level.

Dawg

Wow, they're almost at like 750K with the paypal

Swen might be just right about his 1M prediction. Then again, 250K is still a lot.

Swen might be just right about his 1M prediction. Then again, 250K is still a lot.

Yeah, I think $800,000 can be considered a given now, but even Torment an Project Eternity only managed to raise 15% and 22% of their total amount in the last 2 days. I don't see Divinity doing 25% in less than 2 days.

Zukuu

Banned

Not saying it will, but it's possible. This had a very, very slow start, and is one of the least frontloaded gaming kickstarters (of bigger projects) that I know of, so it's natural that it'll see a bigger ending sprint.

Dawg

Well, at least the 800K goal is a given at this point. The henchmen addition is a really good thing.

Of course, the 1M goal is great as well... but that one would take a lot of extra time as well.

Eusis

Well, I'M VERY cautiously optimistic that either 1 million will be reached, or they'll get so close they'll at least compromise, but the Companion goal seems to be a lock.

Jac_Solar

WTF is... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuF8ruhjlTY

I just noticed that the 1Mil stretch goal is the one that adds NPC schedules, and a host of other features that are almost required for this game to surpass Ultima VII... I really hope it makes it...

It doesn't have NPC schedules? I was under the impression that such a feature was a given for a game like this. But if the mainworld is really large then it's understandable. I still think this KS is a bit weird, though, considering they played the game for a certain amount of time for some sort of preview a year ago or so. It was in a playable state, at least.

Zukuu

Banned
It doesn't have NPC schedules? I was under the impression that such a feature was a given for a game like this. But if the mainworld is really large then it's understandable. I still think this KS is a bit weird, though, considering they played the game for a certain amount of time for some sort of preview a year ago or so. It was in a playable state, at least.

Because the game is basically finished. the initial 400k make sure it's properly QAed, the rest of the not-yet finished content included and things like that. They were simply running out of funds. The game would be released whether the KS is successful or not.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
NPC schedules, as I've hammered on about from day one, could potentially this game into something even more magical.

So close yet oh so far.

Need to convince some rich people to skip lunch and pledge :)

Yeah, I'm not TOO confident we'll reach 1 million at this rate, but 800k? Absolutely.

I don't see them doing it. $200,000 in 32 hours? So far they have only had 2 days of $80k, so they would have to considerably more than double their maximum number of pledges so far.

If they could get to $900,000, and leave Paypal open for a bit more, they could get closer to the million though and then they might still consider putting the NPC schedules in.

Eusis

I don't see them doing it. $200,000 in 32 hours? So far they have only had 2 days of $80k, so they would have to considerably more than double their maximum number of pledges so far.

If they could get to $900,000, and leave Paypal open for a bit more, they could get closer to the million though and then they might still consider putting the NPC schedules in.
Yeah, it wasn't really right to say confident there in any compacity except "not", though there have been some amazing surges in final hours before. Didn't look like Shovel Knight would actually hit 300k for example... but then that is almost what'd be needed to hit a million here anyway.

Jac_Solar

Because the game is basically finished. the initial 400k make sure it's properly QAed, the rest of the not-yet finished content included and things like that. They were simply running out of funds. The game would be released whether the KS is successful or not.

Even though I really love games like this, (I really dislike turn based combat though.), and, seemingly, this game, it still looks like it's taking advantage of the Kickstarter process. But people will donate, so whatever, and it seems like the game is getting a lot of additional content, so, that's good.

Do you know if the mod editor supports additional data, like new models/textures/etc? Or is it more like a scenario editor where you can move preset models around a landscape?

ZoddGutts

This will get to 800K with Paypal before the 24 HR mark. One thing to note it was mention on RPG Codex by the producer Divinity that they'll leave Paypal open for 2 weeks after the Kickstarter ends.

KKRT00

This will get to 800K with Paypal before the 24 HR mark. One thing to note it was mention on RPG Codex by the producer Divinity that they'll leave Paypal open for 2 weeks after the Kickstarter ends.

And that will count for KS stretch goal? If yes, then day/night cycles are sure thing.

koji

Just pledged $ 28. I already have all their games, they're on a convention I'm working at this sunday, maybe I need to take my boxes with me and ask them to sign them! :lol

Need to support my fellow Belgians, they are our only "big" studio, and they make great RPGs.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
It is your money and you're free to do whatever you like with it, but I still have to ask: Why?

To answer your question, I think Larian is far more deserving of our money than Konami. But I'm biased(check the avatar) :p

Mainly Yoji Shinkawa art. I'm a big fan of well done art in general, and I find his style very interesting. And I generally find the 'substance' editions of games worthwhile which compounds the problem.

That many copies seems weird so, let me try to explain. I purchased the original version of MGS3, and thought it was great. Later they ended up releasing the subsistence edition, which had a revamped camera/gameplay, a competitive online, and the first two original games Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2, last released on the MSX/NES. So I bought that (at a discount). Recently they re-released a 'essential collection' which included the first three MGS titles, but they replaced the normal marketing box art with some nice covers featuring the artwork of Shinkawa. On top of looking nice, it was convenient to have all three games in a single package. And recently, they did a really nice HD collection of MGS2, MGS3 and the first console port of MGS:pW (which was previously a PSP exclusive). The collection included a nice book of MGS2,3, and PW Shinkawa related art. The steelbook was also a nice addition and the overall package was evocative of my MGS1 limited edition.

It sounds to me like you want that cloth map.

Attempt at a bad joke, sorry. But truthfully, I usually don't like the baubles that collectors editions end up including outside of art or development documentaries. The only exceptions being cRPG cloth maps, its probably a nostalgia thing more than anything else though.

This Kickstarter needs the cash the most.

Split the difference at the $65 tier and pick up Dragon Commander!

I gave it some thought , and after writing the MGS section, I'll keep my pledge for D:OS. Larian could use the money, so close to $800,000!, and I have spent a little too much money on MGS already. Thanks for the input guys/girls.

--------

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
After a rather inauspicious start, Larian are really gunning it with their Kickstarter campaign. I've backed a crapload of other projects and I don't think they've come close to Larian's engagement with the community and the press.

29 Updates (is that an update each day?) with a live concert somewhere in there, and a walkthrough/interview with PCGames.de, GamersDissent, ForceSC2Strategy, Matt Barton (Matt Chat), AngryJoe, Jessie Cox, and Total Biscuit. There was a reddit AMA, and also countless other videos with developers, designers, artists, composer, and Swen himself etc. The amount of work that went into this kickstarter. campaign is staggering.

Durante

Attempt at a bad joke, sorry. But truthfully, I usually don't like the baubles that collectors editions end up including outside of art or development documentaries. The only exceptions being cRPG cloth maps, its probably a nostalgia thing more than anything else though.
I'm actually the same. The statues and "stuff" included with most limited editions these days does little for me, but cloth maps are a different matter. It's probably mostly nostalgia as you say, but a little nostalgia from time to time doesn't hurt.

After a rather inauspicious start, Larian are really gunning it with their Kickstarter campaign. I've backed a crapload of other projects and I don't think they've come close to Larian's engagement with the community and the press.

29 Updates (is that an update each day?) with a live concert somewhere in there, and a walkthrough/interview with PCGames.de, GamersDissent, ForceSC2Strategy, Matt Barton (Matt Chat), AngryJoe, Jessie Cox, and Total Biscuit. There was a reddit AMA, and also countless other videos with developers, designers, artists, composer, and Swen himself etc. The amount of work that went into this kickstarter. campaign is staggering.
Yeah, outside of the missed start, this is probably the best-run kickstarter campaign I've followed so far (and I've followed a lot of them).

Top Bottom