• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter by Larian Studios [Complete, ~$1 million funded]

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Great to see Larian going guns blazing with the Kickstarter pitch. I'm also really happy with their community engagement - various members of their team have spent some time and effort replying to all of my silly PMs. Such nice guys.

For me the real Kickstarter target is the still the 1M stretch goal; it's what made Ultima VII, Ultima VII for me. I'll be suggesting to Larian that maybe they should make a tiny demo of NPC scheduling in action.

Great to see Larian going guns blazing with the Kickstarter pitch. I'm also really happy with their community engagement - various members of their team have spent some time and effort replying to all of my silly PMs. Such nice guys.

For me the real Kickstarter target is the still the 1M stretch goal; it's what made Ultima VII, Ultima VII for me. I'll be suggesting to Larian that maybe they should make a tiny demo of NPC scheduling in action.

That's a great idea!

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Yeah I fired off that PM to Larian so we'll see what happens. I should have thought of that ages ago ... oh well.

LOL!

Forktong is David, the producer playing alongside Swen in the pitch video.

1PaH3Ex.jpg

Codex must win.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Swen just replied stating that the NPC scheduling demo/mock-up would have been a good idea but unfortunately they have no time left to organise it. If all goes well, then it might make an appearance in their next game.

Swen just replied stating that the NPC scheduling demo/mock-up would have been a good idea but unfortunately they have no time left to organise it. If all goes well, then it might make an appearance in their next game.

If all goes well it will make an appearance on this game.

They should say more about the 650k stretch goal.

Labadal

If this is very close to reach a new stretch goal in the last hours, I won't hesitate to to up my pledge (via paypal). I'm fine as long as we reach the 650k stretch goal. It seems to me that the 800k stretch goal would need a lot of extra work.

Durante

This is a pretty good preview covering both Original Sin and Dragon Commander (warning: some very mild spoilers): http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=8925
That was really thorough.

Some excerpts -- on combat:
Combat is strongly reminiscent of The Temple of Elemental Evil with a hint of Fallout. That isn't a coincidence, as when I asked Swen about it, he replied that ToEE was a direct inspiration for the combat in D:OS. He even added: "It's a game we took a good look at because we wanted a real old-school system. The main difference is that now you play it with a friend." That was great news because while ToEE had flaws like a boring starting area, uninspired quests and some unfortunately boring encounters, it was a great dungeon crawler with solid turn-based combat and no other game since has attempted to recreate something similar, aside from the indie game Knights of the Chalice which was a one-person job. After all, if something is good, you might as well reuse it. Thankfully the people at Larian thought the same.

On spell utility outside combat: (this is something I love -- I always hate it in games when you have these powerful spells (e.g. healing) but are somehow incapable of using them to solve quests or anything outside combat)
Spells aren't only useful in combat. The Make It Rain spell can be used to empower your ice spells, but it can also put out fires, a property that we found useful in a town where a ship was burning. This display of magical dampness gathered the nearby townspeople who came to cheer on Swen, including the local carpenter. This allowed me to steal a bunch of nails (remember the nails?) from his workbench, although due to a bug he noticed me (but still allowed me to keep them). Another time we found a statue stuck on the ice but a fireball spell allowed me to free it and pick it up. Or at least that's what was supposed to happen because the ice didn't melt but that's what might happens when you play an alpha version! Granted, those are very basic elemental interactions with the world, but you can see the potential.

On world size and exploration:
As enjoyable as the combat is though, most of the fun came from the exploration of the world. Swen told me that this game is a return to their roots and it is obvious after a couple of minutes. Forget the extended dungeon crawl of Beyond Divinity or the somewhat limited maps of Divinity 2, this time it's a big seamless world like in Divine Divinity. One returning feature is the distinct lack of loading screens, so cities, villages, dungeons, caves, beaches, forests, cliffs and other assorted locations are all part of the same big map. It's amusing how much this widens the scope of the world, and yet you likely won't notice it because it feels so natural. In my case it only hit me when Swen jokingly asked me if I had counted the loading screens since we started playing and I realise that I had seen none apart from when we started. That he was proud of this was evident.

Update, we've got an update on kickstarteeeeer: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin/posts/460101

Video discussing the stretch goals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=g6BWeghzMrQ

The Curious Tale Of Commander Myrthos And The Little Red Riding Imps

You'll find many a curious place in Rivellon, but none - Zixzax the Imp Historian will tell you - is quite as curious as the Shelter Plane At The End of Time. Fabulous indeed, would be the heroes who come to inhabit this enigmatic abode, and just as fabulous (as they'd soon find out) are the critters that live there!

No one - and when we say 'no one' we mean 'not even Bellegar' - knows where these red, diminutive demon imps come from, but even though they live at the very edge of the cosmos, a hunter haunts their path ...

Myrthos he is called, and rumour has it he is not alone. Does he stalk them because they wronged his kin? Have they broken a sacred oath? Are the forces of the very Divines at work? We can only guess, but the fact of the matter is that a sinister feud is slumbering beneath the surface of an already troubled realm.

Myrthos and his guild obey the mighty Watch. The Red Riding Imps swear by the ancient Codex. Between the two of them there is no common ground; by every oath imaginable they are sworn enemies that seek one another's destruction.

You decide the outcome...

ZoddGutts

It's doing really well recently. Hope it really takes off once those Youtube vids from the bigger subscribers comes out. Good to see SC2 was added to the list.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
We need to focus on what's important, gotta fill that Facebook bar! The more Bellegar the better. Especially if they keep the voice actor.

Ultima IX killed any faith people had in that series. It's why I didn't support Garriot's new Ultima project.

We need some more Wizardy games though. Wizardry 8 was the shit.

Actually the series was killed by Ultima VIII, AKA Super Avatar Bros. Many fans gave up on the series after it, which is a shame because it was never that bad of a Ultima game.

Eusis

Actually the series was killed by Ultima VIII, AKA Super Avatar Bros. Many fans gave up on the series after it, which is a shame because it was never that bad of a Ultima game.
You mean Ultima VIII or Ultima IX? Ultima VIII definitely sounds like it, while Ultima IX... I dunno, it sounds to me like an inconsistent story combined with being a buggy abomination pretty much fucked it over. Maybe with an open mind both are reasonably enjoyable, but for someone more invested in the series than "Hey I rented one of those for the NES!" (IV by the way) I can see it being completely devastating, or at least stupendously disappointing.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right

I've got a bit of a confession: I've got a dark and dirty love for VIII. Pagan was just dripping with atmosphere and reeled me in despite the shitty combat and the limited interactivity and design. I ... um ... even finished the game.

Teppic

Going at snail pace. I really hope it can make it to $800.000,

And what's the reason to have the digital copy limited?

TotalBiscuit posted a video... of Dead Island: Riptide

ibqUneHBMbOFQS.png

Going at snail pace. I really hope it can make it to $800.000,

And what's the reason to have the digital copy limited?

Early bird tier, this will replace it:

New 28$ digital tier

This tier will replace the about- to-be-sold-out 25$ which includes a digital copy of Divinity: Original Sin.

smr00

Banned
That wall of text that goes up the middle of the screen is one of the worst designs i have ever seen in my life.

For the love of god change that or have an option to change it because that is awful.

Labadal

At this rate, it might end up at around 700k. We have 606k now. Add 10k from paypal. Then we have rpgcodex and rpgwatch that are doing well with their own Divinity campaigns. They have almost 6k combined. That puts us at 632k for now.

Anno

Last couple days could be shaping up well. If they keep PayPal open post-Kickstarter maybe they can push towards $800,000? Just kicked in another $25, here.

dude

dude
Another playthrough on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72DirM4gvTU

David: "Thank god we are no longer using Gamebryo *laughs*" - I wish Bethesda would get to their senses too :(

floating exclamation mark indicating quests

why

Also, the dialogue system between players, while a little cool (and helps keep the co-op element an RPG rather than a Diablo-like thing), seems to be half useless and half frustrating. I'm not really convinced this execution is fun. It's also a bit weird going between a keyword system and a more direct one.

Top Bottom