• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

huxley00

This is another friendly reminder to people feeling 'stuck' on a fight to remember all their consunables. A well timed scroll/special arrow or a pre-engage buff/potion can make all the difference.
The short duration of buffs + casting times ensures you cannot abuse pre-engage preparations as well. Just well balanced.

Relying only on your skillbook is a very tactically limiting way to play this game and doesn't properly take advantage of the extreme depth to combat.

Agreed, I used to try to be stingy with consumables, now I just use them if I need them and it makes life a lot easier. A nice steaming cloud arrow + electricity has saved me a time or two for sure.

Mages scale. They just do not fill the big one round st damage role on most targets that a 2h or backstab character can. They have the absolute highest damage potential on some targets once you understand field interactions better.

Air and water magic don't have any good single target burst options however. This seems to be more of a balance decision based on the campaign flow/enemy types.

Air seems much more for crowd control and non battle situations. Water is good for healing+freezing.

I personally think witchcraft + water is the best mage combo. Blind and Oath are insanely good. You can blow up a summon. They are lacking in damage, but you have 3 other characters for that. Healing is cheap costing so you can cast 2 spells a turn easily. + Rain

I'm thinking of making a fire close range character. Get high fire resists and you can aoe everything + heal yourself.

erragal

The only way mages can compete late game dps wise is if you have super luck with the huge aoe spells like meteorshower.
Warriors go absolutely beast mode around lvl 14.

Single spells will never out dps a two hander or backstab option. Combos of spells definitely can.

And as mentioned where mages truly shine is thr ability to cc an entire encounter with smart tactical play.

Man-at-arms damage isn't really better than a well set up backstab. It's just less positionally strict. On the flipside warrior armor has very high strength requirements which absolutely lowers your potential ap as a warrior. They usually go last, take the most ap to move, and have less ap. You're trading activity for on demand burst.

erragal

Air seems much more for crowd control and non battle situations. Water is good for healing+freezing.

I personally think witchcraft + water is the best mage combo. Blind and Oath are insanely good. You can blow up a summon. They are lacking in damage, but you have 3 other characters for that. Healing is cheap costing so you can cast 2 spells a turn easily. + Rain

I'm thinking of making a fire close range character. Get high fire resists and you can aoe everything + heal yourself.

There is no best. They all can accomplish tactical goals if you understand how to use the spells. That's why this game is so brilliant: outside of some bugged things every skill has a very powerful usage/combo scenario. Early fights having Madora divine light/heal like a cleric is way mote effective for me than trying to get her in a bad position.

Air is definitely a high utility spell tree. It has strong late aoe options but could really use one more single target air damage tool.

StMeph

Just started the game last night. I like the engine, but the touted elemental interplay is still pretty game-y. By that I mean it's still pretty obvious/strict in its applications, and it wasn't as organic as I thought it might be when it was being showcased. The writing, in my opinion, isn't as good as Dragonfall, which is only relevant because I just finished that campaign before starting Original Sin.

There's still plenty of good stuff though. The combat/strategy is pretty satisfying, and there have been some challenging encounters. And the game basically plays out like a contemporary Baldur's Gate, which I've been looking for for a long time. I didn't want to read anything in advance of starting, but that meant I rolled one of the two protagonists as a Knight... and then along comes Madora, so I now have two, though it shouldn't matter after I branch them off a bit more.

Stealing things is still ridiculously overpowered, and having a Rogue that can go Invisible basically makes taking anything or going into private rooms a cakewalk.

valouris

This game is sooooo gooood.

I'm still deciphering the murder in the opening quest and I think I miahgt have found a bug.

1) I got the key under the closet in Therylon's room (the healer's apprentice), but I can't open her chest. The key is supposed to open it. Is this a bug? I am looking for sth dirty to show the dog.

2) There is a key in Esmeralda's bathtub that I can't click and get. Although I got her dirty panties and the dog said it's not here. SO GOOD.

new update just about now, wonder if it's just fixes

Hi everyone,

Our latest (small) update brings you the following fixes:
- Crash fix for send to homestead from a container
- Fixed encumbered being spammed when dead
- Fixed crash while saving during a SurfaceGrowAction (this should fix any issues with crashing when going into the tunnel under the graveyard in Cyseal for example)

We are currently working on finding the causes for more critical issues.

To those still having issues, thank you for your patience. We are trying to weed out the most important issues as soon as possible.

If you still have trouble playing the game, do not hesitate to contact us!

Spookie

A troll and his son asked me for a toll to cross the bridge. So I murdered them both.

I genuinely feel bad as most games wouldn't let me do that.

:(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Mages aren't necessarily about damage anyway. Their real strength comes from their many ways to debilitate enemies and leave openings for your melee fighter(s) to go in and kick ass.

I've been abusing the teleport spell a ton. Not only can it bring annoying archers and spell casters closer to your melee fighters, but if you choose the landing spot to be right next to another unit, it will do a decent amount of damage to that unit as well. Such a great spell.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
A troll and his son asked me for a toll to cross the bridge. So I murdered them both.

I only murdered the adult, then the child sat there pleading with his dad's smoldering corpse to get back up.

Durante

I've been abusing the teleport spell a ton. Not only can it bring annoying archers and spell casters closer to your melee fighters, but if you choose the landing spot to be right next to another unit, it will do a decent amount of damage to that unit as well. Such a great spell.
Not to mention teleporting barrels of oil. Or ooze.

Zeliard

Teleport is amazing. I've had it on both of my mages for the entire game (Johan of course starts with it, which is quite nice).

It has so much utility, on top of doing very nice damage - getting melee mobs away from your casters/archers, bringing long-range mobs to your melee fighters, dropping enemies on elements, dropping barrels on top of enemies, dropping enemies on top of each other, and generally re-arranging the battlefield to suit your current positioning.

I killed (Act 1 boss)
Braccus
by driving him into the ground with Teleport as the finishing blow. Felt good.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

I wanted to kill them but my partner made me pay them.

GODDAMNIT I'm not rich enough for troll tolls lady. :mad:

Durante

Fuck yeah!
20140707_173135twsa9.jpg

20140707_173941dcshr.jpg

This brings the amount of cloth maps this year to two, which is more than any other year in this decade.

pixlexic

Banned
Seems like the starting classes are really imbalanced. A knight will clobber almost anything at the start but a wizard or ranger will get thier asses beat handily.

Really that's the only consent I have with that game now. It's what old school pn rpg players have been sorely missing for quite sometime. A stat heavy rpg.

erragal

Just started the game last night. I like the engine, but the touted elemental interplay is still pretty game-y. By that I mean it's still pretty obvious/strict in its applications, and it wasn't as organic as I thought it might be when it was being showcased. The writing, in my opinion, isn't as good as Dragonfall, which is only relevant because I just finished that campaign before starting Original Sin.

Stealing things is still ridiculously overpowered, and having a Rogue that can go Invisible basically makes taking anything or going into private rooms a cakewalk.

It only feels that way. You get absolutely no real power spike from all the first town thievery.

Dragonfall writing was not approached with the same level of detail as the writing in this game. Most characters in that game are archetypes and pastiches. The dialogue is snappy with strong world discipline (as it should with the person who created that dialect helping on the game) but the actual content of the words and motivations of the characters is flat (To expound for those that may not understand: this means they were designed to fill a specific role within the narrative rather than approached having their own motivations)

It's actually a profound challenge to write as many characters as Divinity with real personality and dimension. It's also not something you see in most media consumable writing these days; people gravitate towards the protagonist as universal filter worldview because of how it reflects on their personal experiences.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
One of my least favorite aspects of the UI is how you always have to scroll the camera manually. Why can't I just click on the map and move the camera to whenever I clicked?

This is annoying when trying to explore the map. Honestly, the controls do feel a bit clunky. The cursor takes too long to update after casting a spell for example. Sometimes after playing long enough, the mouse cursor also seems to become decalibrated and I'll have to restart the game to fix it.

My biggest personal annoyance with the interface, however, is how switching to another player's inventory doesn't also switch to taking control of that player. Is there some hidden benefit to this that I'm just not aware of?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Not to mention teleporting barrels of oil. Or ooze.

Teleport is amazing. I've had it on both of my mages for the entire game (Johan of course starts with it, which is quite nice).

It has so much utility, on top of doing very nice damage - getting melee mobs away from your casters/archers, bringing long-range mobs to your melee fighters, dropping enemies on elements, dropping barrels on top of enemies, dropping enemies on top of each other, and generally re-arranging the battlefield to suit your current positioning.

I killed (Act 1 boss)
Braccus
by driving him into the ground with Teleport as the finishing blow. Felt good.

Oh, boy. I didn't even think to use it on objects. Definitely going to drop some barrels on people when I play tonight.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Seems like the starting classes are really imbalanced. A knight will clobber almost anything at the start but a wizard or ranger will get thier asses beat handily.

Really that's the only consent I have with that game now. It's what old school pn rpg players have been sorely missing for quite sometime. A stat heavy rpg.

I feel that as the game goes on mages are more or less utility classes, but spellswords are honestly pretty awesome. I teleport into groups of enemies at the start, and then just just constantly explode.

Witches get a super interesting spell in the late game though.
It's a close range attack that does around 400-600 damage I think?

epmode

My biggest personal annoyance with the interface, however, is how switching to another player's inventory doesn't also switch to taking control of that player. Is there some hidden benefit to this that I'm just not aware of?

I think it's handled this way because the game is potentially in co-op and they didn't want to code two separate UI behaviors.

I agree, though. I'll leave an inventory screen open, press an F-key to switch to another character but the inventory screen stays on the first character. It's needlessly fiddly in single-player.

And speaking of UI annoyances, I'd really like it if new items were automatically placed at the front of your inventory. I usually have to either scroll to the end of the list or manually sort whenever I want to check what a character just picked up (ie. ALL THE TIME).

Zeliard

I agree, though. I'll leave an inventory screen open, press an F-key to switch to another character but the inventory screen stays on the first character. It's needlessly fiddly in single-player.

Yeah I brought this up earlier in the thread. It screws with me quite a bit. Too many years of playing RPGs where switching to another character with the inventory open opens up that inventory.

danthefan

So happy I took the plunge and bought this game. I'm a complete cRPG virgin so it's a new experience for me. Stuff like starting out fights by sneaking up, spreading oil all over the place, and blowing up a fire barrel is just awesome.

Haven't used teleport too much, must get on that.

LogicStep

Restarted the game taking a better look at what I was doing in the character creation screen. Went with a fighter and a ranger. The fighter will be a tank I suppose and my ranger has marksman, geomancer and stealth. These two with Jahan and Madora seem to be a decent group though I'm kinda low on healers since only Jahan and my fighter can heal, but my fighter is pretty much a self heal. Been relying on potions and healing scrolls as well. I normally tend to hoard consumables but in this game I've been using plenty with potions, healing scrolls and other types of scrolls like a fire shield scroll I used on my fighter when I fought some fire dudes. I really like this style of game because while there are no quest objectives markers, which I hate when games don't have, this game tells you what to do and where to go and what to look for. At times I can be lost, but I just keep walking around, exploring and talking to people and things get resolved little by little. Right now, as far as the murder case is concerned,
I'm trying to find my way to Evenlyn's Lair
. I have it marked on the map, I just can't seem to find my way to it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
One other cool think I learned while experimenting yesterday: if you want to sneak around a bit and do some pilfering, but there are too many NPCs around, have each of your party member engage the NPCs in conversation so that they have to face the opposite direction of what you want to steal.

Totally awesome that the gameplay supports what amounts to distracting people while one character robs the place.

Zukuu

Banned
Yeah, teleport is probably the best spell in the game. I have it on my mage and my archer (jahan). Playing a party of 3 with my melee being a lone wolf. There is also Featherfall, which is teleport without damage for less AP. You can use it to bring your melee in without damaging him, or for another instant death teleport into the lava.

Zakalwe

Banned
Fuck yeah!
20140707_173135twsa9.jpg

20140707_173941dcshr.jpg

This brings the amount of cloth maps this year to two, which is more than any other year in this decade.

That's not a proper unbox, take photos of everything opened! Do it!

(or just tell me what's in those two rectangular packs, that'll do!)

Alric

Fuck yeah!
20140707_173135twsa9.jpg

20140707_173941dcshr.jpg

Ugh, I hope mine comes soon. I actually got 2 cloth maps with mine. I've got around 20 cloth maps I need to place in frames still and hang.

Levyne

Banned
Fuck yeah!
http://abload.de/img/20140707_173135twsa9.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://abload.de/img/20140707_173941dcshr.jpg[IMG]

This brings the amount of cloth maps this year to two, which is more than any other year in this decade.[/QUOTE]

Damn, looks really nice.

Santiako

It concerns me that I'm more than halfway through the game (I assume) and Zandalor hasn't appeared yet, I was hoping he had a big part in this game.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
so expert marksman to level 2 asap I'm guessing? Do we see the class abilities get bonuses from armor/weapons? (i.e. is there expert marksman +1 on any gear?)

So I was trying to buy some pyro spells from Arhu and I saw a fire elemental spell but didn't have money at the time to buy it. Went back later when I had the cash and it's gone! How do I get that spellbook to reappear? Is there another vendor?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
How does global chat work, by the way? I remember being connected to it in the few minutes I played of the beta, but it doesn't seem to work since the official release.

Levyne

Banned
How does global chat work, by the way? I remember being connected to it in the few minutes I played of the beta, but it doesn't seem to work since the official release.

Yeah, mine's been borked since release. I think I am enjoying not having to look at it, though.

I spend enough time steam chatting various people about the game, haha.

goblin

Can we all agree that the
initiation button puzzle is the dumbest thing ever?

Yeah. My biggest problem with this puzzle is that
the millions of vases in the room all weigh the exact same amount. It was bad enough even with Madora carrying around dozens of 0.5 pound logs that I could stuff into backpacks; if I had to leave to hunt down items to experiment with specific weights it would've driven me up the wall.

With a couple of exceptions for puzzles, this never stops being viable. Going invisible then sneaking lets you pickpocket anybody regardless of facing, too.

Yeah, teleport is probably the best spell in the game. I have it on my mage and my archer (jahan). Playing a party of 3 with my melee being a lone wolf. There is also Featherfall, which is teleport without damage for less AP. You can use it to bring your melee in without damaging him, or for another instant death teleport into the lava.

I love all the movement options available in combat between pyramids, Teleport, Featherfall and other skills. I actually ended up using Featherfall a lot more than Teleport once I found it because it let me cast more utility with my mages and the damage stopped being worth the extra AP. Clever teleports also let you circumvent puzzles or quests which, while probably unintended in some cases, is still a whole lot of fun.

Larian disabled it right after release.

Paches

I think they disabled/suspended it for now until they figure out a way to curb the spam/garbage that people post in there is what they said.

Durante

They had to turn it off (until they implement better filtering) because of internet fuckwad syndrome.

The update note where they explained that linked to this, which I found quite insightful.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Makes sense. I hope it comes back. I liked the idea of having a way to ask questions to a general audience while in the game like in an MMORPG.

StMeph

It only feels that way. You get absolutely no real power spike from all the first town thievery.

Ah. May have been assuming too much from BG2.

Dragonfall writing was not approached with the same level of detail as the writing in this game. Most characters in that game are archetypes and pastiches. The dialogue is snappy with strong world discipline (as it should with the person who created that dialect helping on the game) but the actual content of the words and motivations of the characters is flat (To expound for those that may not understand: this means they were designed to fill a specific role within the narrative rather than approached having their own motivations)

It's actually a profound challenge to write as many characters as Divinity with real personality and dimension. It's also not something you see in most media consumable writing these days; people gravitate towards the protagonist as universal filter worldview because of how it reflects on their personal experiences.

I agree that Dragonfall's characters are pretty one-dimensional, and that they're largely plot-service vehicles, but I don't view that as a bad thing, necessarily. I think it was well-written exactly in the way that you describe it, like appreciating prose instead of plotting or characterization. Most stories are the same ones being re-told, and games are even more predictable in that sense. So how it's being told -- and the strength/consistency of the language being used in that telling -- is more important to me, I suppose.

Top Bottom