• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Coulis

Neo Member
Yeah i wasn't using enough elemental arrows. Thanks for the tip. Shame I can't find a decent bow in the random loot.
On a more general note, crafting is really fun.

I was going to wait for a sale but I caved and bought the collector's edition on Thursday. The co-op is what pushed me over the edge. I've been playing Divinity in co-op all weekend and the game has far exceeded my expectations. I love almost everything about the game, especially the battle system. Outside of full blown strategy RPGs, I don't think I have seen a better turn based system in any game ever.

My only complaint are how conversations are handled in cooperative play. I really hope they patch the dialogue issue soon. It's super annoying to need to coordinate conversations constantly and bring up the journal all the time just to follow the story, especially when the journal starts to collapse your conversations if your partner talks to another NPC or if a special dialog is initiated.

stone128

Yeah i wasn't using enough elemental arrows. Thanks for the tip. Shame I can't find a decent bow in the random loot.
On a more general note, crafting is really fun.

Yeah, good bows or brossbows for that matter are far and in between in this game, at least on my playthrough so far... finally got a legendary one though, took some save/reloading at a chest location to get it though :p

I've heard this is true. You also lose all learned skills which I assume could be a problem for the few skills that cannot be purchased from a vendor (ie. Barrage).

I purchased Barrage from a vendor. It didn't save me from
The Shepherd of my doom

This game is so fucking good. I'm about to quit my job for this game. Don't got time to work, I need to continue my co-op adventures in Cyseal asap.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I was going to wait for a sale but I caved and bought the collector's edition on Thursday. The co-op is what pushed me over the edge. I've been playing Divinity in co-op all weekend and the game has far exceeded my expectations. I love almost everything about the game, especially the battle system. Outside of full blown strategy RPGs, I don't think I have seen a better turn based system in any game ever.

My only complaint are how conversations are handled in cooperative play. I really hope they patch the dialogue issue soon. It's super annoying to need to coordinate conversations constantly and bring up the journal all the time just to follow the story, especially when the journal starts to collapse your conversations if your partner talks to another NPC or if a special dialog is initiated.

My coop partner and I just read the dialog aloud so the other person can follow along.

Zakalwe

Banned
I purchased Barrage from a vendor. It didn't save me from
The Shepherd of my doom

As did I.

The elementals in your homestead sell a good amount of scrolls too, saw barrage there.

Luckily I don't need to re-spec as my investments have all panned out, and I can use my gold to buy the extra points front the keeper of secrets instead. Phew!

Respect

Depending on what you consider cheese and what is acceptable sandbox playstyle to you, there's also the option
of using containers to close off the door and funnel through enemies as you're ready.

Or simply backing off and using the doorway as your choke point.

I got ahead of myself at one point, a fight with 4 level 14 enemies while I was 10. I got all stubborn about fighting, but 90% of the time I couldn't even hit them even with stacked hit percentage buffs.

So I built vase cages around 3/4 and pulled the first away, then took them one by one.

Cheesy? Maybe. Still felt good to beat them when I shouldn't have been able to.

Hmmm, that sounds really good...
pull the whole group save one in the room before Rex, have whoever starts the fight go in with Fire resistance buff, eat the fireball, retreat back to the group and use the door as a choke point. Should have summons and alot of AP when we are beginning to engage the bosses too with everyone at full health.
Thanks, will definitely have to try when I get home from work.

Taruranto

I found 2 additional star stones, but nothing happened in homestead so far. Is it because
it's under attack?
Or did I hit a bug?

danthefan

Ok srsly, could someone give me a decent strategy for fire based enemies, particularly those
lesser infernal chimeras
? It doesn't seem like there's ice magic in the game so I tried water spells on them and they do little or no damage. And they seem to hit me really hard. I'm lv5 which is the same level as they are.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
I am currently in
the Immaculates Temple trying to recover Leandra's Blood and diary from the area with the one locked room in the middle and the 4 switches. Found a book written by "E.N.S. West" so I guess the correct order for pressing the buttons should be east,north,south,west. I press them in that order and the middle room remains closed. Am I doing anything wrong?

Leezard

I am currently in
the Immaculates Temple trying to recover Leandra's Blood and diary from the area with the one locked room in the middle and the 4 switches. Found a book written by "E.N.S. West" so I guess the correct order for pressing the buttons should be east,north,south,west. I press them in that order and the middle room remains closed. Am I doing anything wrong?

Here:
There is a compass on the stairs. See how it doesn't have North in the same direction as the real compass?

sora87

I think I'm just gonna go ahead and admit defeat on this, it's not for me i think, been running around in circles for an hour with no clue where I'm meant to be or what I'm meant to be doing. Oh well, it was pretty to look at, at least!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Ok srsly, could someone give me a decent strategy for fire based enemies, particularly those
lesser infernal chimeras
? It doesn't seem like there's ice magic in the game so I tried water spells on them and they do little or no damage. And they seem to hit me really hard. I'm lv5 which is the same level as they are.

Rain weakens them I believe? I always use rain on them anyway so that they don't burn me and setup stun traps.

Sub Zero

Here:
There is a compass on the stairs. See how it doesn't have North in the same direction as the real compass?

Haha, totally missed that. Love how Larian forces you to pay very close attention to the environment to solve some riddles

huxley00

Does anyone here play Dungeons and Dragons with friends? The game mirrors the ruleset of 4th edition rules very closely. It feels like I'm literally playing a D&D game, they did very well using a simplified system that people can actually grasp. If you enjoy the combat in Divinity, you might want to check out Dungeons and Dragons, its a lot of fun and has a similar system.

I've put in about 12 hours now, I'm finally warming up to the story a bit which is a relief. I was finding myself unmotivated to complete quests as they were so "jokey", I finally hit my stride in the battle with

Evelyn

Her dialogue was a bit more serious in tone, the battle was intense and well paced and felt very satisfying.

After that, I find that I am enjoying the game a bit more. The combat is great...sure, you can cheese the hell out of it, but that was the same with the Baldurs Gate series, when you have such a complicated system, there are always going to be ways of getting around it. I guess its just up to the individual if they can handle not taking advantage of it too much.

Also, I thought hard was a bit tough, I switched back to normal after 5th level, there were a few fights that were just driving me crazy. Even with normal, I feel like I am still getting a challenge on the harder fights (the normal fights do tend to be a bit easy though).

For anyone struggling with combat early on, just ensure you have a wizard or two with rain + electric spell, mass stun is incredibly useful.

Sub Zero

Are big shops going to review this? I would of figured at least RPS would of done a review by now...

Maybe all the journalists didn't have access to full review builds and had to wait for the game to come out of Early Access to start playing

Leezard

lesser infernal chimeras

There are definitely Ice spells in the water magic tree.

Durante

Yeah, the game simply wasn't done before it was released to everyone, including reviewers. And it's a huge game. Can't really blame them too much in this case.

You know those weird conversations you get sometimes, about your character's morality and the discussion is, like, the opposite of what just happened? i.e. stealing something, and then discussing with the co-op character how said character is so good for being generous, or somesuch, with no mention of them stealing.

I think I know what the problem is - it's interpreting your co-op character's choices as you own and applying them to you, instead of the proper way around. Because that's exactly how it's gone down for me a few times now.

Does anyone here play Dungeons and Dragons with friends? The game mirrors the ruleset of 4th edition rules very closely. It feels like I'm literally playing a D&D game, they did very well using a simplified system that people can actually grasp. If you enjoy the combat in Divinity, you might want to check out Dungeons and Dragons, its a lot of fun and has a similar system.

That's precisely what the developer was aiming for - a singleplayer game with the breadth, flexibility and adventure inherent to a dungeon master's campaign, and I'd say they struck a home run, because that's exactly how it feels to me.

huxley00

You know those weird conversations you get sometimes, about your character's morality and the discussion is, like, the opposite of what just happened? i.e. stealing something, and then discussing with the co-op character how said character is so good for being generous, or somesuch, with no mention of them stealing.

I think I know what the problem is - it's interpreting your co-op character's choices as you own and applying them to you, instead of the proper way around. Because that's exactly how it's gone down for me a few times now.

That's precisely what the developer was aiming for - a singleplayer game with the breadth, flexibility and adventure inherent to a dungeon master's campaign, and I'd say they struck a home run, because that's exactly how it feels to me.

Its uncanny, from the opportunity attacks, to the AP cost to the skills to the damage bonus based on stat levels, they really did a good job. D&D 4th edition is pretty heavy on min/maxing as well, this system mirrors that pretty closely. Even the challenge of battles is pretty similar. In D&D, some battels are easier, but if you ever walk into a battle and start making bad moves, you're dead. Really really impressed here...almost so impressed that it might make it hard to play Baldurs Gate again as this system is simply better....!

erragal

This is another friendly reminder to people feeling 'stuck' on a fight to remember all their consunables. A well timed scroll/special arrow or a pre-engage buff/potion can make all the difference.
The short duration of buffs + casting times ensures you cannot abuse pre-engage preparations as well. Just well balanced.

Relying only on your skillbook is a very tactically limiting way to play this game and doesn't properly take advantage of the extreme depth to combat.

Eternia

Haha, totally missed that. Love how Larian forces you to pay very close attention to the environment to solve some riddles
I thought it was an unnecessary wrinkle. Why have that fake one there when I've been using the real one this whole time?
Can we all agree that the
initiation button puzzle is the dumbest thing ever?
I wouldn't have minded another hint. I was thinking along the lines of
regular vase, broken vase, maybe a barrel and stacking to various heights
but of course the game doesn't work like that. :p

erragal

Are big shops going to review this? I would of figured at least RPS would of done a review by now...

Anyone that's reviewed this game hasn't explored it enough to do it justice at this point.

This game has exceeded X-com (the original) as the best designed game ever for me. I still couldn't review it because 60 hours of coop play and level 11...and doesn't feel like we've hit 50% yet.

Oh and as a student of narrative and hard-ass critic of overrated writing in games (Witcher, Dragon Age...blech) this game is extraordinarily well written. Each character was in fact imagined as a distinctive individual with their motivations determined before dialogue was written. Elgander alone has a vengeance speech so moving I had to trick him even though I loved simple Victoria.

Why rush a review of a masterpiece in design, implementation, and creativity. That's part of the issue in the industry: artifice instead of art.

jay_clark

Neo Member
So if I try and equip a weapon that is a higher level, it gives me some penalties but I can still use it. If I try and equip armor that is a higher level, there doesn't appear to be any penalties at all. Am I overlooking something? I really don't know what the point of the armor's level is at all.

JLeack

Banned

Reviews won't be out for a few more days. The full build wasn't out until the official release day. I know I've been playing it non-stop and I'm not even close to finishing it.

Tanolen

You guys werent kidding about how stong warriors become. I was cheesing the game early with barrels and telekinsis and thought i was being unfair. Now in 1 good turn i can one shot bosses.

Madora went from maybe doing sub 10 percent of the overall damage in chapter 1 to doing 95 percent or so in chapter 2.

My two complaints about the game so far, not touching on randomized loot, are how obtuse it is to find buttons on walls; and how much the mages dont seem to be scaling.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yea Madora (or any 2hnd warrior really) becomes absolutely beast mode. Bull charge in, hit whirlwind and dust devil, bam 75% of the field is dead.

Morokh

Game really could've used at least one little more tutorial where they show you how to craft something basic, because I never would have thought to try it like that if I didn't read something about it on the web.

As for the smelter/grinder/anvil if something requires it being in close proximity is enough ?

Edit : is there more cloth armor like what Jahan is wearing ?, not a fan of the robes :p

erragal

You guys werent kidding about how stong warriors become. I was cheesing the game early with barrels and telekinsis and thought i was being unfair. Now in 1 good turn i can one shot bosses.

Madora went from maybe doing sub 10 percent of the overall damage in chapter 1 to doing 95 percent or so in chapter 2.

My two complaints about the game so far, not touching on randomized loot, are how obtuse it is to find buttons on walls; and how much the mages dont seem to be scaling.

Mages scale. They just do not fill the big one round st damage role on most targets that a 2h or backstab character can. They have the absolute highest damage potential on some targets once you understand field interactions better.

Air and water magic don't have any good single target burst options however. This seems to be more of a balance decision based on the campaign flow/enemy types.

Alebeard

Neo Member
I've got a sword and board + vampire as my tank. Cast bloodletting on her and she heals faster than any DPS can get to her. also a 50% block chance is sweet.

Zeliard

Mages aren't necessarily about damage anyway. Their real strength comes from their many ways to debilitate enemies and leave openings for your melee fighter(s) to go in and kick ass.

FtHTiny

The only way mages can compete late game dps wise is if you have super luck with the huge aoe spells like meteorshower.
Warriors go absolutely beast mode around lvl 14.

Lingitiz

Maybe all the journalists didn't have access to full review builds and had to wait for the game to come out of Early Access to start playing

It sounds like Larian didn't give any press early access to the finished version. They said they got a poor return last time on reviews for Dragon Commander versus youtube and twitch streamers. Also I imagine it would be hard for them to do since it seemed like the finished version of the game was finished shortly before it was rolled out as an update.

Anyways it seems like a while before we'll be getting reviews from big outlets. This game is crazy huge.

Rad-

I mentioned it earlier but if you want to make warriors even stronger then give them leech and comeback kid talents and they become unkillable by all physical damage. I think this will get nerfed in the future though.

FtHTiny

I mentioned it earlier but if you want to make warriors even stronger then give them leech and comeback kid talents and they become unkillable by all physical damage. I think this will get nerfed in the future though.

You can also equip them 130% fire resi and have your mage always nuke them and the enemies. :D

Top Bottom