• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Zakalwe

Banned
I think I fucked up heavily in act 1:

I went to mortician's hut before going into the church, I think I remember seeing an exagona amulet and I *think* I've sold the exagonal medallion by mistake. Don't remember to which NPC and I can't find it anymore.
Any other way to enter the tomb beneath the church without it?
Cheating accepted.

I thought I'd done this, but I was overlooking it. I don't think you can seel these quest items... triple check ALL your inventories, or have each character try to activate the gate.

It was dropped
by Evelyn
, so it could also be sitting there still.

Can anyone confirm for sure by testing now, please?

SaberVulcan

So I played this game for the majority of my 3-day weekend... and I dont know what it is but I seem to have a serious problem fighting anything higher level than me, and I feel like I am running out of options on where to quest. I don't know if I am doing combat wrong or something, but at level 5 right now, if I fight a group of level 6s I almost always have 1-2 party deaths per fight.

For what its worth, I currently have a party consisting of 2x 2H warriors, a ranger/mage hybrid, and mage. I also tried swapping out one of the warriors with a Shadowblade, but that went even worse.

So uh, is that normal? Im just trying to complete quests in my journal and most of them I cannot even attempt due to the level gap (5 vs 7+ is basically unwinnable).

Santiako

Supersmip_zpsd708d25b.jpg

Very happy about the way the armor is in this game, even the weapon looks badass with water and fire effects... :)

That impaler, I used it for a long time.

epmode

I thought I'd done this, but I was overlooking it. I don't think you can seel these quest items... triple check ALL your inventories, or have each character try to activate the gate.

It was dropped
by Evelyn
, so it could also be sitting there still.

Can anyone confirm for sure by testing now, please?

I beat that boss last night and I'm pretty sure I didn't see that amulet anywhere. I even talked to the guy in the middle of the room after the fight.

I'll double-check my game tonight but I'm a little concerned now. There are quite a few complaints online of the amulet not dropping when it should.

d1rtn4p

So I played this game for the majority of my 3-day weekend... and I dont know what it is but I seem to have a serious problem fighting anything higher level than me, and I feel like I am running out of options on where to quest. I don't know if I am doing combat wrong or something, but at level 5 right now, if I fight a group of level 6s I almost always have 1-2 party deaths per fight.

For what its worth, I currently have a party consisting of 2x 2H warriors, a ranger/mage hybrid, and mage. I also tried swapping out one of the warriors with a Shadowblade, but that went even worse.

So uh, is that normal? Im just trying to complete quests in my journal and most of them I cannot even attempt due to the level gap (5 vs 7+ is basically unwinnable).

I'm about 20 hours in and I often feel the same way. In fact, I asked the same kind of question earlier in this thread. In the end, If I'm hitting a fight that's too hard, I simply went and explored another piece of the map for mobs that were more my level. I've been able to progress one way or the other, and I haven't hit a complete wall yet where there's simply nothing I can do. I thought I got close once, but it really came down to exploring other tactics in the battle which allowed me to get past it.

Nibel

Still #1 @ Steam's topseller list; this is unbelievable.

Urge to break rules and getting this is getting stronger and stronger, ughhh.

Labadal

Rolled new characters. That's all I do it feels like. This is not a complaint about the game, I just like to try out different combinations. Been digging up graves at the cemetery and getting some exp there.

Still #1 @ Steam's topseller list; this is unbelievable.

Urge to break rules and getting this is getting stronger and stronger, ughhh.

If it falls from first place I know who to blame.

e.e

Rolled new characters. That's all I do it feels like. This is not a complaint about the game, I just like to try out different combinations. Been digging up graves at the cemetery and getting some exp there.

Just focus on making two characters you like first and foremost, the game will give you enough space to figure out the rest.

Zakalwe

Banned
I beat that boss last night and I'm pretty sure I didn't see that amulet anywhere. I even talked to the guy in the middle of the room after the fight.

I'll double-check my game tonight but I'm a little concerned now. There are quite a few complaints online of the amulet not dropping when it should.

And I've read quite a few "doh, it was in my inventory all along" posts too.

Have you tried clicking on the pedestal with all four characters? If you have and you're sure it's not lying back at the fight area, then we need to first confirm if you can sell it, and check that avenue, then if nothing else contact support.

There's a program you can download that creates a report for them. Google it, I can link later if you can't find it.

I'll be home in an hour and I still have it, will try to sell and get back to you.

Chaos17

has anyone found out how threat works in this game? its probably the one thing that isn't perfect about the combat. there aren't even threat generating skills.

the game would be much more tactical with proper threat design, but the way it is now I don't really see the use of 1h weapons and shields.

Agree.
It's awfull to see ennemies ignoring my warrior, lol.
Fortunally, it's not happening all the time and still my tank helped me a lot mostly at the begining of the game when my team was squishy.
Now, at lvl 14. I'm tempted to unlock the 2H skill~

Any tips for playing Ranger ? I've just cleared Act 1 but i don't feel super useful in combat.
I can understand.
My first character as a ranger and strangely even with elemental arrows she not doing great damage even if I putted all in DEX.
Then in my second playtrough I changed my main character and hired a ranger... he is RAMBO!
rambo-arco.jpg

I don't know why such there is such difference but he is doing great damages compare to my old ranger.

epmode

And I've read quite a few "doh, it was in my inventory all along" posts too.

Have you tried clicking on the pedestal with all four characters? If you have and you're sure it's not lying back at the fight area, then we need to first confirm if you can sell it, and check that avenue, then if nothing else contact support.

There's a program you can download that creates a report for them. Google it, I can link later if you can't find it.

I'll be home in an hour and I still have it, will try to sell and get back to you.

Thanks for that. I'm not sure if I have a problem yet, though. I decided to mop up the orcs in the west right after that boss and it turned out to be a bigger job than anticipated so I haven't been to the church.

I won't be able to test until I get home from work later today.

ys45

How long is supposed to be the game ?
Currently in second area and I was wondering how long it is (already at 35h)

SaberVulcan

Just focus on making two characters you like first and foremost, the game will give you enough space to figure out the rest.

Tempting to reroll after reading this. My female character doesnt seem very good, Ranger/Wizard hybrid kinda thing. I put in like 20+ hours already though, seems poopy to just reroll. Hrmmm...

Is there any wiki out there for the character classes yet? I assume so, didnt see any in OT though.

Zeliard

Agree.
It's awfull to see ennemies ignoring my warrior, lol.
Fortunally, it's not happening all the time and still my tank helped me a lot mostly at the begining of the game when my team was squishy.
Now, at lvl 14. I'm tempted to unlock the 2H skill~

2H is pretty amazing. I only have one melee character on my team - Madora - and she is by far the biggest damage-dealer. She just obliterates things. Which is also, incidentally, why people who say that magic is overpowered compared to melee are very much mistaken.

She hits like a truck with her basic attack, and some of the Man-at-Arms skills are also pretty crazy, like Battering Ram and Flurry. Magic is obviously super useful due to its great crowd control abilities, but for pure damage your 2H warrior is king. They can also soak up a lot of damage if you spec them right.

And yes I agree with the general point that the way aggro works in the game could be better. I think it's tuned too much to pets taking aggro - spider pet is ridiculously invaluable because of this - as opposed to your actual tank character. Enemies are a lot more focused on pets than they probably should be.

Respect

Holy shit,
Braccus Rex just completely wrecks me, he doesn't even need the other 3 mini-bosses, that carpet bomb he starts off with does most of the work,
have a feeling this will take me some time. I'm guessing there would be a way to cheese it, but I really don't want to resort to that.

Tempting to reroll after reading this. My female character doesnt seem very good, Ranger/Wizard hybrid kinda thing. I put in like 20+ hours already though, seems poopy to just reroll. Hrmmm...

Is there any wiki out there for the character classes yet? I assume so, didnt see any in OT though.

That's the thing, there are no classes. You can build your character however you want, and there are enough henchmen (and a few companions) that can fill in whatever hole you see your party having. If you don't like your current character's build or it just isn't working out, start putting points in a different direction, 'cuz y'never know.

If you're deeply unhappy with your main characters' builds, there will be an opportunity to respec them later in the game. There are caveats, though be assured you won't lose anything except the abilities learned (judging from what I've read).

Just remember, enemies are not level-scaled and you can always retreat, so you will never box yourself into an unwinnable situation.

Holy shit,
Braccus Rex just completely wrecks me, he doesn't even need the other 3 mini-bosses, that carpet bomb he starts off with does most of the work,
have a feeling this will take me some time. I'm guessing there would be a way to cheese it, but I really don't want to resort to that.

Yeah,
I'm currently in the exact same situation. I'm currently in deep meditation to figure out what I can do to prevent that fireball stuff from annihilating me, because a good volley will take out at least one character right now. Gotta give Larian credit though, I wasn't expecting Braccus to summon his commanders like that... "Oh, some underlings. This fight might be over too quickly..."
Oddly, I love what a surprise it is.

Durante

And yes I agree with the general point that the way aggro works in the game could be better. I think it's tuned too much to pets taking aggro - spider pet is ridiculously invaluable because of this - as opposed to your actual tank character. Enemies are a lot more focused on pets than they probably should be.
I like how enemies, especially undead ones, mostly kill themselves by killing my fire elemental in melee.

Zukuu

Banned
2H is pretty amazing. I only have one melee character on my team - Madora - and she is by far the biggest damage-dealer. She just obliterates things. Which is also, incidentally, why people who say that magic is overpowered compared to melee are very much mistaken.

She hits like a truck with her basic attack, and some of the Man-at-Arms skills are also pretty crazy, like Battering Ram and Flurry. Magic is obviously super useful due to its great crowd control abilities, but for pure damage your 2H warrior is king. They can also soak up a lot of damage if you spec them right.

2h melees are the most broken things in the game imo. I 2-4k aoe crit everything in one turn to death, and one shot bosses. It's not even funny how much damage my melee does with a bit of buffs. Blacksmtihing and Crafting is very crucial to him tho.
I think belts and gloves can come with +bs / +crafting. So look out and KEEP those. Equip them if you want to craft/bs something and then put on your normal gear. This way you only need to skill to level 3.

I mainly use my archer and mage for support, control, a bit dps and cc. They both also incredible tanky with constitution I have on all rings and necklaces and a few other stuff, so I don't need to re-position often. I rather just kill the targets or port them into range of my melee. Charm is also incredible useful from the archer. Most of the time, I don't even bother with summons anymore.

Zakalwe

Banned
Holy shit,

Cheese is yellow, it's also quite greasy.
Put it in a sandbox and it camouflages well.

:p

Tip:
his summons are much easier to kill. Work on them first if you really want to taken then all on at once.

Just picked up the game, this is some of the most praise I've ever heard for a new game. I adore Baldur's Gate, Planescape, and Icewind dale, so this should be a fresh take.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Just did the quest in
the Mines where I have to sneak past the Death Knights
. Dat MGS feeling. Loving this game

Leezard

So would
hinterheim
be considered the second act and
the rest if luculla forest
the third act?

Probably, yeah. I did
Hiberheim
when I was lvl 16 or so since I missed a switch to enter though. You can do so much out of order if you want.

Im not sure if my coop buddy and I have ever had as many laughs together during gameplay as we do in this game. So many great coop opportunities to screw the other person over haha. Amazing game so far.

Respect

Yeah,
I'm currently in the exact same situation. I'm currently in deep meditation to figure out what I can do to prevent that fireball stuff from annihilating me, because a good volley will take out at least one character right now. Gotta give Larian credit though, I wasn't expecting Braccus to summon his commanders like that... "Oh, some underlings. This fight might be over too quickly..."
Oddly, I love what a surprise it is.

Yes, my mindset was initially walking into there was "this won't be too bad, its just him, haven't struggled in a few levels now"...oh how naive. I hadn't even faced the
Baron
yet. I went back and have cleared him out and working on the
black cove
now. Overleveled for these spots so its been easy. I started out with my group at level 8 when I first faced him, will probably be 10 by the time I start trying to take him down again.

Cheese is yellow, it's also quite greasy.
Put it in a sandbox and it camouflages well.

:p

Tip:
his summons are much easier to kill. Work on them first if you really want to taken then all on at once.

Thanks for the tip, will have to definitely change things up...thinking
spacing the group out by keeping them unlinked might help too
, at least for the initial attack.

Welp, according to Steam I've played this for 24 hours in the past week. Considering how limited my gaming time usually is, that's insane. It's a testament to how fun the game is. I am wrapping up the first section now, I just have the big bad left to fight. Judging from what I've read about that fight, I know it will be intense. I love how thoughtful the battle system is, there's almost a puzzle-like element to battles, except there are multiple ways to solve most of them. My characters are about to hit level 9 and can steamroll most normal mobs in the first area, but I still have to pay close attention during fights - it's easy for the tide to turn if I'm too much on autopilot.

I'm having the same issue that others have mentioned with my Ranger main - she doesn't hit very hard and while she isn't completely useless, she's definitely not as invaluable as the other three characters. I think I'm going to start moving her down the Scoundrel tree with the Glass Cannon talent - I've heard rogues with Glass Cannon and back stab can become really powerful.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
I read somewhere that the game presents you with the opportunity to respec during the later acts. Is that true?

Would love to turn Jahan into a pure DPS/Glass Cannon and move on all the healing stuff to my knight and make him a paladin of some sort

epmode

I read somewhere that the game presents you with the opportunity to respec during the later acts. Is that true?

I've heard this is true. You also lose all learned skills which I assume could be a problem for the few skills that cannot be purchased from a vendor (ie. Barrage).

Zukuu

Banned

Would love to turn Jahan into a pure DPS/Glass Cannon and move on all the healing stuff to my knight and make him a paladin of some sort
Yes, but only for your two main characters.

Zakalwe

Banned
Thanks for the tip, will have to definitely change things up...thinking
spacing the group out by keeping them unlinked might help too
, at least for the initial attack.

Depending on what you consider cheese and what is acceptable sandbox playstyle to you, there's also the option
of using containers to close off the door and funnel through enemies as you're ready.

Or simply backing off and using the doorway as your choke point.

I got ahead of myself at one point, a fight with 4 level 14 enemies while I was 10. I got all stubborn about fighting, but 90% of the time I couldn't even hit them even with stacked hit percentage buffs.

So I built vase cages around 3/4 and pulled the first away, then took them one by one.

Cheesy? Maybe. Still felt good to beat them when I shouldn't have been able to.

Top Bottom