• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Durante

What was the other cloth map? I'm eagerly awaiting mine (as well as WL2, Tides, PoE, and even SotA). I'm such a sucker for cloth maps.
Might & Magic X. By far the cheapest (to obtain, not in terms of quality!).

I still can't believe Ubisoft sold the physical collectors edition of M&M X for €40.

Are there any reviews from non-obscure sites yet? I'm interested in this game, but still on the fence.

Actually, I asked a question way, way back in this thread, but it never got satasfactorly answered, so let me try again. How is the overall "feel" of the game? Are the animations smooth? Does it feel good to move around? Are spells punchy and fun to use? Is inventory management slick and intuitive? These are the things that make or break games for me, if a game doesn't feel like a joy to play, despite how good it may be in other areas, I won't play it for more than a couple hours.

How is the feel of the game? No one can answer that but you, because you seem to be looking for something very specifc out of the game that no one will be able to properly answer, because of the simple fact that they're not you.

If the dozens of pages of gushing praise and love for this game aren't enough to convince you, you're going to have to suffer through the long and implausible wait for a demo to decide for yourself... or simply take the risk and plunge into Rivellon, blind.

erragal

I suppose I'll just have to drop it because we're not getting anywhere. I disagree that you can have objective evaluation of art, as personal interpretation always come into play. At best you can have a consensus of opinion among individuals, but that shouldn't be construed as the objective reality of things.

I will say that you come across as extremely elitist to the point of annoyance. I don't think you've had one post on the subject that isn't talking down to an audience for 'not getting it' in one way or another.

I think you're focusing too much on art as a mystical concept that is inherently personal, subjective, and irrational. While a creation may be artistic to someone and have value based on the context/inspiration the object or the individuals's relationship with the object/creator may inspire these are emotions.

Said creation can still be evaluated in a separate cognitive space. We evaluate the creation based on past creations of similar ilk; a field or genre or medium. If it is an original of said field/genre/medium then that is a factor of objective evaluation in its' favor...though as with virtually everything human it is an outgrowth of past creative endeavours.

This objective evaluation should include physical techniques and conceptual ideation. A sculpture made roughly out of play-doh by a seven year old could be very rough in mechanical skill...but the medium's originality combined with an unexpected message (he's a refugee modeling a massive refugee camp and all its big picture details) could change the evaluation. The voice of the creator therefore matters on analysis...and whether that voice is heard.

It's easy to express that people 'don't get it' when they don't. I didn't invent the concept of objective critical analysis ...but you're the one denying it even exists.

I think you're focusing too much on art as a mystical concept that is inherently personal, subjective, and irrational. While a creation may be artistic to someone and have value based on the context/inspiration the object or the individuals's relationship with the object/creator may inspire these are emotions.

Said creation can still be evaluated in a separate cognitive space. We evaluate the creation based on past creations of similar ilk; a field or genre or medium. If it is an original of said field/genre/medium then that is a factor of objective evaluation in its' favor...though as with virtually everything human it is an outgrowth of past creative endeavours.

This objective evaluation should include physical techniques and conceptual ideation. A sculpture made roughly out of play-doh by a seven year old could be very rough in mechanical skill...but the medium's originality combined with an unexpected message (he's a refugee modeling a massive refugee camp and all its big picture details) could change the evaluation. The voice of the creator therefore matters on analysis...and whether that voice is heard.

It's easy to express that people 'don't get it' when they don't. I didn't invent the concept of objective critical analysis ...but you're the one denying it even exists.

I think we've found the perfect person to categorize which games are "art" and which are "nart."

(Northern Cyreal spoilers)
Pincer, Bellegar and his Bellagarettes
make Divinity: Original Sin art. I'm sure he agrees.

Alric

I still can't believe Ubisoft sold the physical collectors edition of M&M X for €40.

Had to import just to make sure I got a physical copy with map. Loving this influx of cRPGS. I need to get a new laptop so play them more.

hemtae

Regretting it all? I was contemplating going that route too.

Sometimes. I haven't hit a wall yet where I need a drastic rethinking of my strategy but there have been fights where I had to come back 3+ times to completely finish it.

Zukuu

Banned
Regretting it all? I was contemplating going that route too.
I play with 1 lone wolf and that seems to be the best mix imo. 2 Lone Wolf are easily doable as well, as the game becomes incredible easy, IF you build your characters correctly. I can probably solo the game with my melee. That does take a good while tho, and you'll probably struggle in the beginning a bit. I also only see Melee + Mage a choice here. Take Spider as initial summon (geomancer), witchcraft's +50% damage buff, Hydro's heal and air's teleport and you should have a smooth beginning. (you can leave geo and witch on level 1 if you so desire and focus on hydro + air or fire). Dust Devil, Cure Wounds and Battering Ram on your warrior.

BashNasty

How is the feel of the game? No one can answer that but you, because you seem to be looking for something very specifc out of the game that no one will be able to properly answer, because of the simple fact that they're not you.

If the dozens of pages of gushing praise and love for this game aren't enough to convince you, you're going to have to suffer through the long and implausible wait for a demo to decide for yourself... or simply take the risk and plunge into Rivellon, blind.

Mmm, I disagree. While there is no doubt some subjectivity to what feels right in games, certain aspects can absolutely be quantified, as a couple previous responses to my question have shown (thanks guys!). Things like hit-reactions, screen-shake, animation fluidity, sound effects and overall polish to the user experience all effect "feel" in various ways.

Take Little Big Planet vs. any Mario platformer. Many (most?) people will say LBP is a solid series, but few would rank it above Mario platformers in terms of feel. Why is this? Almost certainly it's due to the floatiness and overal imprecision of LBPs controls vs. Marios. Sackboy simply doesn't feel as "right" to control as Mario, despite various other elements in both series than may be better or worse. Another, more personal example, is Diablo III vs. Path of Exile. Many people (particularly here on GAF) hail PoE as the better isometric action-RPG. For me, however, PoE falls flat compared to Diablo III based soley on combat feel. Sure there is a broad and diverse skill tree to level up in PoE, but because the combat lacks the hit-reactions and punch of Diablo III, I feel no compulsion to play the game.

Feel is, in my opinion, absolutely the most important aspect in game design. Without proper feel, there is no reason to play a game.

goblin

I found my way to the path around via phoenix dive, how are you supposed to open the wall the normal way?
If this is the cathedral I'm thinking of, you just have to light all the coal baskets. I did it on a whim and it worked, but as far as I could tell there wasn't any hint about it.

How do you complete the Immaculate village quest?
Where do I go for the Closing the Rift quest?

There's a temple outside the hidden village that you need to go to.
4. The start of this quest seems bugged.
It started for me when I entered the Phantom Forest, which is the wrong area altogether, and then again when I entered the place where it's actually supposed to start which is northwestern Luculla Forest, connected to the desert. The things Zixzax is saying make no sense taken in the context of the Phantom Forest ("north of here" and "three paths") but right outside the quest area's entrance it's pretty self-explanatory.

To
enter Hunter's Edge do I have to go through the Phantom Forest?

Same zone, separate areas.

Yeah, I was so bummed that wasn't available in the U.S. I guess I could import it (though probably too late now).

How do you all display your cloth maps? I have tons of them. Tempted to set up some kind of system like you see in a store selling posters or something. I just don't have the wall space (or wife tolerance) to hang them all.

Durante, your favorite game still PS:T or has D:OS overtaken it? Do you have a boxed copy of PS:T?

Mmm, I disagree. While there is no doubt some subjectivity to what feels right in games, certain aspects can absolutely be quantified, as a couple previous responses to my question have shown (thanks guys!). Things like hit-reactions, screen-shake, animation fluidity, sound effects and overall polish to the user experience all effect "feel" in various ways.

Take Little Big Planet vs. any Mario platformer. Many (most?) people will say LBP is a solid series, but few would rank it above Mario platformers in terms of feel. Why is this? Almost certainly it's due to the floatiness and overal imprecision of LBPs controls vs. Marios. Sackboy simply doesn't feel as "right" to control as Mario, despite various other elements in both series than may be better or worse. Another, more personal example, is Diablo III vs. Path of Exile. Many people (particularly here on GAF) hail PoE as the better isometric action-RPG. For me, however, PoE falls flat compared to Diablo III based soley on combat feel. Sure there is a broad and diverse skill tree to level up in PoE, but because the combat lacks the hit-reactions and punch of Diablo III, I feel no compulsion to play the game.

Feel is, in my opinion, absolutely the most important aspect in game design. Without proper feel, there is no reason to play a game.

The word you're looking for is feedback not feel. This isn't an action game so the connection between tactile input corresponding output is disjointed in the first place. I can't speak for you but the combat gives plenty of good feedback. The game properly communicates to you when a spells hit hard or when your physical attacks connect properly. It's satisfying to utilize the environment of combo spells to take out multiple heroes (which the game conveys). Explosions and animations, while rudimentary compared to today's AAA title provide great feedback for successful moves as well as unsuccessful ones. Hit boxes work well for the most part but the UI can get in the way at times (all moveable).

Zakalwe

Banned
Thanks for the video Durante, didn't make me any more jealous or anything...

��

Yeah, this is what it was. I actually had the Enlightened Amulet on my SELL EVERYTHING IN MY INVENTORY character and didn't realize it was a quest item.

Heh, every time someone asks this it's on a character they don't usually check. :p

I keep managing to solve the puzzles like the teleporters, the elemental statues, and the immaculate test without help, but keep stumping myself by overlooking items in my inventory or missing vital NPCs and running around like a headless chicken for half an hour at a time.

This game...

Laekon

Can anyone explain how the points work in the battle system? They say they carry over but I always have the same amount each round.

Also do you really have to fight through the whole
forest to get to the light house
? I can't say that the preset battles are really all that great. The one with 2 mages and a bunch of zombies is a huge pain.

If you take lone wolf you are doing it wrong. Once you get flurry there is no earthly way that the bonus from lone wolf can compete. Flurry one shots bosses from level 10. It's still doing it at 14. Having two characters with it is superior in every way given it's cd. If this game didn't have CDs then a case could be made. But it does and so the discussion is over. Also lol at lone wolf characters not being able to use glass cannon. I have it on both mages. You super buff the melee. Apply a slow or knockdown and then end turn and watch them charge in and gib everyone.

goblin

Can anyone explain how the points work in the battle system? They say they carry over but I always have the same amount each round.

They'll only carry over up to the maximum amount of action points your character can have, based on Constitution score. Mouse over the Action Point field of your character sheet for more information.

Zukuu

Banned

? I can't say that the preset battles are really all that great. The one with 2 mages and a bunch of zombies is a huge pain.
Hover with the mouse over the points in the character screen.

You have
Starting AP
Turn (or Recovery) AP
Max AP

Starting AP determines with how many AP you start a battle.
Turn / Recovery AP determines how many AP you get each round during the battle. You save not used AP for the next round up to the amount of MAX AP you can have.

So if you start with 6 AP, use 4 AP that turn, and save 2. You have next round 2+recovery AP (let's say 4) = 6 AP again. If your max AP is 5, you only have 5 AP available however.

Ahzrei

Banned
If you take lone wolf you are doing it wrong. Once you get flurry there is no earthly way that the bonus from lone wolf can compete. Flurry one shots bosses from level 10. It's still doing it at 14. Having two characters with it is superior in every way given it's cd. If this game didn't have CDs then a case could be made. But it does and so the discussion is over. Also lol at lone wolf characters not being able to use glass cannon. I have it on both mages. You super buff the melee. Apply a slow or knockdown and then end turn and watch them charge in and gib everyone.

I'm doing it wrong.

What's Glass Cannon?

Zukuu

Banned

I'm doing it wrong.

What's Glass Cannon?

The most broken talent in the game.
It doubles your recovery AP but sacrifices 50% of your base vitality. Once you have enough vitality and armor (and/or Lone Wolf), you can safely pick it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The most broken talent in the game.
It doubles your recovery AP but sacrifices 50% of your base vitality. Once you have enough vitality and armor (and/or Lone Wolf), you can safely pick it.

Wow, that sounds incredible. AP definitely seems to be the limiting factor for my party at level 6.

hemtae

You have a max amount of points you can have during a battle based on constitution. Then you have the amount you start a battle with. Then you have the amount you get each round both based on speed. I can't remember the exact formula but I think someone came up with it easier in the thread. You can hover over your action points in the inventory screen and it will tell you exactly how much those values are.

If you go out the exit near the general store you shouldn't have to fight through a forest and yes that fight was a pain especially for two lone wolf characters.

Dubz

Just picked this up. I never was able to play the Ultima games, or any old school RPG's. I'm old enough to have, but I never did for some reason. What's a good noob class to start with? I'd like to be a ranged character.

EDIT: Now realizing that you play 2 characters in solo. Guess my question was kind of dumb.

Just picked this up. I never was able to play the Ultima games, or any old school RPG's. I'm old enough to have, but I never did for some reason. What's a good noob class to start with? I'd like to be a ranged character.

Mage with geomancy/witchcraft/some other school of magic is pretty OP in the early game, from what I hear. Every class is equally viable and intuitive, though.

Eh, I've already decided to restart when they're available so I guess I'm done playing until they arrive. Seems like an important thing to leave out at launch.

Zukuu

Banned
Eh, I've already decided to restart when they're available so I guess I'm done playing until they arrive. Seems like an important thing to leave out at launch.
After having played through the majorty of the game, I can tell you that the amount of instances where it applies is probably <10. I've set it to LOYAL and it's actually rather fitting. The dialogue with your partner, STILL happens and you need to pick BOTH sides (not RPS battle, just pick how they react to another NPC).

"Let's see... halibut... sheep's cheese... tomatoes..."

Oh man these ladies in the market are so annoying.

Even worse, I thought she was saying something like "cheese-cheese" (a stutter, I guess?) until 30 hours in when I actually read what she was saying. Bah to those merchants and their sinful puns.

The word you're looking for is feedback not feel. This isn't an action game so the connection between tactile input corresponding output is disjointed in the first place. I can't speak for you but the combat gives plenty of good feedback. The game properly communicates to you when a spells hit hard or when your physical attacks connect properly. It's satisfying to utilize the environment of combo spells to take out multiple heroes (which the game conveys). Explosions and animations, while rudimentary compared to today's AAA title provide great feedback for successful moves as well as unsuccessful ones. Hit boxes work well for the most part but the UI can get in the way at times (all moveable).

Oh, that would make a lot more sense. I didn't think of it like that.

You'll love the feedback when you attack a zombie with a flaming sword. MEATY VISCERAL COMBAT of the HIGHEST ORDER.

Considering starting a new game if I actually did fuck up and
sold the first ingredient for the Death Knight Spell. But to be sure, I need the second part of the spell. Where is that? I've been all over the mines - including the end area

Help me out here, GAF.

50% wants to start a new game just due to knowing how the stat system works, 50% of me is looking at the 60+ hours I've already played (but I'm sure I can half that with a speed through now that I know where everything is.

There's a temple outside the hidden village that you need to go to.

No, I know that. It just says I need to search for Source, and I've been everywhere.

Zukuu

Banned
Even worse, I thought she was saying something like "cheese-cheese" (a stutter, I guess?) until 30 hours in when I actually read what she was saying. Bah to those merchants and their sinful puns.

I always heard "cheap cheese"^^
Considering starting a new game if I actually did fuck up and
sold the first ingredient for the Death Knight Spell. But to be sure, I need the second part of the spell. Where is that? I've been all over the mines - including the end area

Help me out here, GAF.

50% wants to start a new game just due to knowing how the stat system works, 50% of me is looking at the 60+ hours I've already played (but I'm sure I can half that with a speed through now that I know where everything is.

No, I know that. It just says I need to search for Source, and I've been everywhere.
I dont think you can sell crucial, unique items. It's at the
"high priest office". You can teleport there from the Graveyard area. It's under a huge bubble you can just access to the right of that area.

I always heard "cheap cheese"^^

AGH HER VOICE I CAN'T STOP HEARING IT

I know how to end her threat permanently.

brb

Edit: Ok, the market is gone but at least there's peace. Screenshot for posterity, though I won't continue my game like that.. my characters are slightly better than that.

B00TE

Game clicked for me finally. I'd been having fun exploring every nook and cranny, but was getting destroyed in fights. I changed my party around and suddenly I'm just wrecking everything. Even if fights start to go poorly, I can turn it around usually. I'm hooked.

Chaos17

I think I've done things in the wrong order or there is something that I missed because :
I did the mine first before getting Leandra blood.
Now I can't go back to the mine and the demons in the north are still imune to my 2H sword Tenebirum...
Is there somewhere I need to go before going north ?

Edit : never mind I was able to continue the imasculed quest after all >.>"

jb1234

I suppose I'll just have to drop it because we're not getting anywhere. I disagree that you can have objective evaluation of art, as personal interpretation always come into play. At best you can have a consensus of opinion among individuals, but that shouldn't be construed as the objective reality of things.

I will say that you come across as extremely elitist to the point of annoyance. I don't think you've had one post on the subject that isn't talking down to an audience for 'not getting it' in one way or another.

And with overly flowery language, no less. I got slammed in another thread for having an overly elitist opinion on music (being a classical musician myself) but now that I've seen the other side, I realize how utterly obnoxious it is.

Sarcasm

Did I screw something up?

Headless Nick Quest..back when I fist started playing like 35 hours ago I did this entertainer quest in cyseal where you talk to a guy to get him to stop cheering and go back to other side. Failed, didn't think much of it...play for 35+ hours and I get to headless nick...

How do I get the crowd to move?

goblin

Huh.
I'm assuming this is the "Infiltrating the Immaculates" quest. I just popped open my journal to look and the order of updates is:

"We made it into the hidden Immaculate village. We should look for evidence of Source here."
"We found an ancient temple that the Immaculates seem to have converted for modern use."

Nothing between that. If you've already been to the temple and fully explored it, and it sounds like you have, then that's the last step of that quest. Maybe your journal didn't update properly.

For reference, the next journal updates are:
"We found an Immaculate priest, Mangoth, preparing to perform human sacrifice in order to create Blood Stone. He fled into a hidden chamber beneath the church's altar. We'll have to find a way to move the altar and follow him."
"We opened the secret hatch and followed Mangoth into a secret library."
"Mangoth told us the Immaculates intend to bring the Void to swallow Rivellon, and they are using Source to do it."
"We defeated Mangoth, but we still can't be sure what the Immaculates are hiding in this temple. Perhaps this chamber has some secrets we haven't found yet."
"We found a vial of Leandra's blood."

Dex815

If anyone is interested in playing on linux before the port: I used Wine and the game works flawlessly.

Archlinux_x86-64
wine-1.7.21
DRM Steam
Version 1.0.57 (latest)

Only fix that I had to add was the -no-dwrite flag for wine to avoid the non rendering text in the Steam client and disable the Steam Overlay to avoid crashes as soon as you type a key (common problem from Steam).

Okay. Mirror run in mines.
What is the correct order, because I thought I got to the final one, but it only sends me in a loop.

Library>Crypt>Enter, right? Problem is that the exit is blocked by a fallen statue.

Did I screw something up?

Headless Nick Quest..back when I fist started playing like 35 hours ago I did this entertainer quest in cyseal where you talk to a guy to get him to stop cheering and go back to other side. Failed, didn't think much of it...play for 35+ hours and I get to headless nick...

How do I get the crowd to move?

Did that for me, too.

goblin

What is the correct order, because I thought I got to the final one, but it only sends me in a loop.

Library>Crypt>Enter, right? Problem is that the exit is blocked by a fallen statue.

Library -> High Priest's office for the scroll -> Crypt -> Entrance Hall -> move southeast. It looks kind of like you have to walk through lava, but it's safe.

Sarcasm

Did that for me, too.

How did you do the quest than?

Dubz

My FPS are capping at 30 with Vsync on. What do I need to do to get to 60fps. My rig should be able to achieve that.

i7 4770 @ 3.5GHZ
8GB RAM
660 TI

EDIT: I think It had to do with Dxtory settings. move along, nothing to see.

Top Bottom