• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

I'm at level 3. Because I don't know what the fuck I'm doing.

I don't know how I'm supposed to gain experience here, because everything I do leads to me dying. And every quest I have so far leads me to somewhere that kills me.

At that level the area to the west of the city is where you should be.

I'm assuming you have a full party?

Zukuu

Banned
Holy shit. Just found a Death Punch scroll. That spell alone would make witchcraft actually worth it on higher levels as skill book.

For what it's worth, for everything the game does well, there's so much to improve over.. I mean imagine the game with NPC schedules, night/day time cycles, better inventory management, more environmental interaction etc.

I totally wouldn't mind a expansion to this game that adds 10-15 hours of new content that increases the level cap to 25 or 30 and adds new skills, new dungeons with challenging bosses etc.

In Cyseal, you can really see occasions where they had planned to make a day/night cycle. The way dialog works, for example, they will often refer to the area of a quest objective that disregards where they currently are (often right beside it). i.e. "Bob is in the Barracks." when Bob is looking at her from across the room, in the Barracks. The military training people also seem really primed for day/night cycles, training until finished, and then continuing their training endlessly...

Perhaps they'll do a "Source Hunter Saga" remaster of DOS that perfects the game. There is precedent for this sort of thing with Larian, after all!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

I don't know how I'm supposed to gain experience here, because everything I do leads to me dying. And every quest I have so far leads me to somewhere that kills me.

Yeah go west. You ideally want to be fighting mobs who are level 3-4.

Holy shit. Just found a Death Punch scroll. That spell alone would make witchcraft actually worth it on higher levels as skill book.

I'd say having resurrect as a skill makes witchcraft worth it at high levels anyway.

Pollux

Yeah go west. You ideally want to be fighting mobs who are level 3-4.

...I am going west. And I'm dying.

Going West leads me to the path to that chick's hideout. And then i die.

I only have my 2 characters. Should I have another party member by now?

Antiwhippy

You should have 4.

Also I think you have east and west mixed up, because to get to her you have to take the eastern path from the town.

You can have a fully party before you first leave the town. It's all up to how you approach the game.

There are two companions there, with personalities and stories, and henchmen (no personality or story) can become available before you ever leave the town as well.

Pollux

You should have two more.
And where do I get these people? I've been running all over this fucking shithole of a town and nobody has volunteered to go fuck up skeletons with me.
You should have 4.

Also I think you have east and west mixed up, because to get to her you have to take the eastern path from the town.
No, it's West. If I'm looking at the map the arrow points to her hideout in the top left-ish portion of the map - North-West (no relation to Kim and Kanye)
You can have a fully party before you first leave the town. It's all up to how you approach the game.

There are two companions there, with personalities and stories, and henchmen can become available before you ever leave the town as well.
...."it's all about how i approach the game" - that's helpful.

Tom Penny

Good luck..anyone who beat this game without Google or GAF is some type of savant. It tells you nothing. Immaculate trial lol

And where do I get these people? I've been running all over this fucking shithole of a town and nobody has volunteered to go fuck up skeletons with me.

No, it's West. If I'm looking at the map the arrow points to her hideout in the top left-ish portion of the map - North-West (no relation to Kim and Kanye)

Top floor of Mayors house and top floor of Crab Inn. Also look at the signs as you exit the city gates. Exit the gate that says West and fight mobs that are your level headed towards the lighthouse. Wait on the other quest until later.

Pollux

Top floor of Mayors house and top floor of Crab Inn. Also look at the signs as you exit the city gates. Exit the gate that says West and fight mobs that are your level headed towards the lighthouse. Wait on the other quest until later.

Ok, because apparently I'm going in the wrong direction - is West the direction of the crying orc?

Santiako

Mayor's Office and the Inn, can't miss them.

Also, to go the lair you have to go east, not west, the beach to the west is blocked and you can't go to the lair that way.

Pollux

Mayor's Office and the Inn, can't miss them.

Also, to go the lair you have to go east, not west, the beach to the west is blocked and you can't go to the lair that way.

Even though it says "NorthWest" of town...I have to go the other way?

Is the crying Orc to the east or west...because the map marker is on the same general side of town as the crying orc...

Santiako

Even though it says "NorthWest" of town...I have to go the other way?

Is the crying Orc to the east or west...because the map marker is on the same general side of town as the crying orc...

Opposite direction of the crying orc, the lair is where the map marks, but to access it you have to go through a tunnel in the east.

Antiwhippy

No, I'm 100% sure you're going east, because that the only way to get to her lair. You have to go from the east to where
arhu's contraption
is before you get there. Also don't do the orcs.

This is the path you should be taking.

izQp5NE.jpg

To get to her lair you actually have to take this path.

72LwXxM.jpg

Pollux

Opposite direction of the crying orc, the lair is where the map marks, but to access it you have to go through a tunnel in the east.
I see....Ok, and that's the gate at the top of the map in the post below yours? Not the gate I entered the town from?

No, I'm 100% sure you're going east, because that the only way to get to her lair. You have to go from the east to where
arhu's contraption
is before you get there. Also don't do the orcs.

This is the path you should be taking.

http://i.imgur.com/izQp5NE.jpg[IMG]

To get to her lair you actually have to take this path.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/72LwXxM.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I go the path on the first image and get destroyed. So I should go from the path at the top of the town?

Santiako

I see....Ok, and that's the gate at the top of the map in the post below yours? Not the gate I entered the town from?

I go the path on the first image and get destroyed. So I should go from the path at the top of the town?

Yeah, go from the door near the legion HQ.

stone128

I got destroyed too, but the second time I tried the soldiers at the gate helped me out and killed the enemies with me, dunno why that didn't happen the first time...

nbthedude

Path at top where the zombies are/were. Then go RIGHT and UP (northeast) to the cave in the corner of that area. It will get you through the mountain range. Then you can head back west.

Pollux

I got destroyed too, but the second time I tried the soldiers at the gate helped me out and killed the enemies with me, dunno why that didn't happen the first time...

I get past the first three enemies too the left fine. it's the 10 that pop up after them that destroy me.

Antiwhippy

Hmm, yeah actually, you might want to work around that path from the top. That's definitely where your first major objective is though. You should definitely clear out the lighthouse before going anywhere else and that's where it is.

Right now you really should get 4 members and learn how spell combinations work. (the mage you recruit has rain and shock, and learning how to create stun traps is crucial for the early game) You're definitely waaaaaay too early to try to get to
evelyn.

This game is disgustingly good.
I can't stop playing...

I look at the clock it's 10 pm, I look at it again it's 5.30 AM...I've never had that in a game, being so immersed that you become completely oblivious to everything else while playing.

Need some advice though for building characters, I'm near the end of the cyseal chapter and level 8.

My first main char is rRnger with lvl 3 expert marksman, 1 scoundrel and 1 geo
Not a fan of the scoundrel/backstab/sneaking so far I'm wondering if I should put more points in scoundrel or go geo (wouldn't I have issues being full dex if I take geo spells? or will gear solve that later?)
She is also my crafter.

My second character is a Cleric, atm I have him at 10 str 10 int , he has 3 points in witchcraft, one in man at arms, and one in geo , hydro and aero (he came with the point in hydro and aero by default)
I'm not sure if it's worth putting a second point in man at arms or how viable being a hybrid is later on.
I'm also not sure if I should go geo (it's either him or the archer who go geo) or aero
At the moment I use him as a buffer (armor/elemenetal resist/the +1all stat buff) mostly and don't really hit stuff with him
I was using him for the spider but the spider is weak now and the ranger could summon it too.

My third character is the mage you recruit in
the library
He has 3 points in pyro atm (he's also my blacksmith) and the 2 points in hydro and aero he came with.
I intend to make him full pyro and full hydro (or is also taking aero and going 3 element worth it? I assume not since you can only have one summon available)

My fourth is the warrior from
the tavern
She has 3 points in man at arms atm and nothing else
I want to make her a full melee character, or is it better to take one element on her as well? (I don't really see how since she is my tank and frontliner and needs her AP to murder archers/casters)
Perhaps I should have made her my crafter or blacksmith but it's a bit late for that:\ (wish the game had a way to refund my points spent :( )

Any advice? Since once I pick a second element on my ranger or cleric I'm pretty much committed

edit: also I have hidden mounds marked on my map but one of them isn't there when I go there :\

Zukuu

Banned
This game is disgustingly good.
I can't stop playing...

I look at the clock it's 10 pm, I look at it again it's 5.30 AM...I've never had that in a game, being so immersed that you become completely oblivious to everything else while playing.

Need some advice though for building characters, I'm near the end of the cyseal chapter and level 8.

My first main char is rRnger with lvl 3 expert marksman, 1 scoundrel and 1 geo
Not a fan of the scoundrel/backstab/sneaking so far I'm wondering if I should put more points in scoundrel or go geo (wouldn't I have issues being full dex if I take geo spells? or will gear solve that later?)
She is also my crafter.

My second character is a Cleric, atm I have him at 10 str 10 int , he has 3 points in witchcraft, one in man at arms, and one in geo , hydro and aero (he came with the point in hydro and aero by default)
I'm not sure if it's worth putting a second point in man at arms or how viable being a hybrid is later on.
I'm also not sure if I should go geo (it's either him or the archer who go geo) or aero
At the moment I use him as a buffer (armor/elemenetal resist/the +1all stat buff) mostly and don't really hit stuff with him
I was using him for the spider but the spider is weak now and the ranger could summon it too.

My third character is the mage you recruit in
the library
He has 3 points in pyro atm (he's also my blacksmith) and the 2 points in hydro and aero he came with.
I entend to make him full pyro and full hydro (or is also taking aero and going 3 element worth it? I assume not since you can only have one summon available)

My fourth is the warrior from
the tavern
She has 3 points in man at arms atm and nothing else
I want to make her a full melee character, or is it better to take one element on her as well? (I don't really see how since she is my tank and frontliner and needs her AP to murder archers/casters)
Perhaps I should have made her my crafter or blacksmith but it's a bit late for that:\ (wish the game had a way to refund my points spent :( )

Any advice? Since once I pick a second element on my ranger or cleric I'm pretty much committed
Hybrids are tough. I'd only go as far as taking low level skills. (e.g. Teleport from Air, Minor Heal from Hydro + Summmon Elemental, Summon Spider from Geo, Rain + Shock, witchcraft's +50% buff (crucial imo) etc) and focus on your main attribute otherwise.
Focus on Blacksmith, 2h weapon and man-at-arms with your warrior and she'll wreck EVERYTHING later.

I'd make Jahan air + hydro. I don't find fire too useful. It offers not much but damage, which the other elements do as well, but have nice CC attached to them. Definitely take 1 point into witchcraft to get the damage buff. It's just too good.

Levyne

Banned
Just curious because this is how I generally like to play these games..

Is there any non-violent way to deactivate the
Bone Totem in the mines?

Pollux

Hmm, yeah actually, you might want to work around that path from the top. That's definitely where your first major objective is though. You should definitely clear out the lighthouse before going anywhere else and that's where it is.

Right now you really should get 4 members and learn how spell combinations work. (the mage you recruit has rain and shock, and learning how to create stun traps is crucial for the early game) You're definitely waaaaaay too early to try to get to
evelyn.

Ok, so what am I supposed to do? Just kill shit on that path until I level up?

I just picked up the
mage from the mayor's office

But there is nobody on the
2nd floor of the crab inn that I can recruit
- don't know what you people are talking about.

BPoole

Are there any beginner's guides for this game? My buddy and I have never played anything like this and are getting destroyed. I am an enchanter and he is a cleric whom is apparently incapable a hitting an enemy

nbthedude

I just picked up the

Madora = first floor of inn

Jahan = 2nd floor of mayor's house (ask to see his library)

Antiwhippy

I just picked up the

First floor.

Also yeah, pretty much. Sounds like all you did was the town stuff.

Styles

Have I missed out on a huge chunk of sidequests if
I refused to join the Fabulous Five
?

Just a yes or no, thanks.

nbthedude

I get past the first three enemies too the left fine. it's the 10 that pop up after them that destroy me.

1) quicksave often; enemies never respawn. Once you kill them they stay dead forever.

2) if your character class doesn't start with the summon spider spell, buy it from the guy on the 2nd floor of Legionairre headquarters. You'll need 1 point in Geomancy for a character to learn it (Jahan starts with this if you dont' want/have another to put a point into it). Use spider often as a frontline tank/damage shield.

3) make sure you find both companions before you leave the first town so you have a full party of four
(Jahan is 2nd floor of mayor's office; Madara is 1st floor of the inn; ask both to join you).

4) pay attention to enemy levels; if an enemy is more than 1-2 levels higher than you don't head in that direction yet. First place you should head out of town:
north where the zombies and fire enemies are

5) there are multiple ways to progress quests from stealing keys to lock picking, to breaking down doors by attacking them to just talking to the right people; keep this in mind.

6) Character attributes (int, str, dex) make skills more powerful. Upgrading skill categories lets you hold more of that kind if skill and reduces the cost of casting each

7) Use the geography to your advantage in fights. Use cover. Use choke points. Shoot exploding barrels, kite enemies, etc.

8) elemental effects are extremely important in this game; oil slows and vunerability to fire, rain and bleeding both increase electrocution effectiveness, wet characters freeze easily, fire to puddles creates smoke clouds for cover, electric to clouds makes them electrified clouds if death, etc.

9) learn the UI: between the shortcuts around the mini map and those by your character portrait and action bar you can get pretty much anywhere in one click (I personally dont even use the keyboard and just map quicksave, next turn, freelook and tooltip to my mouse.

10) Sometimes the map can be confusing but try to zoom in to see where baracades/mountains are and work your way around them. Hint:
caves go through mountains sometimes

Chaos17

Dig up some graves, there is an hidden dunjeon that will help you grid a bit.
Then follow main quest that will lead you west of the town whereyou will fight undead.
Don't go south, the orcs are for lvl 6+.

Found the Vial of Blood.

Jesus Douche.

Okay. So the bugged main story quest:
Closing the Rift. It's in Phantom Forest? Can I leave Phantom Forest? Sounds like the Lost Woods.

Pollux

Ok. Thanks everyone. Got a party of 4 and just took out a zombie dog at a campsite. I guess I'm going the right way?

Chaos17

I just began the third zone and thank the goddess, it has better start than the second zone and ennemies finally are above my lvl
16+
I was getting bored in the second zone.

Ok. Thanks everyone. Got a party of 4 and just took out a zombie dog at a campsite. I guess I'm going the right way?

Edit : have you finished the quest of the west area before going east or north ?
I'm asking you this because the mobs will be higher lvl in those zones.

Eternia

So I guess I'm pretty late into the game at this point, feels like my "tank" isn't working out too well. Doesn't deal much damage at all, enemies tend to do elemental damage the majority of the time that is if they even attack him (which makes me wonder why I even have all this heavy gear on). I should have gone the route of dual 2H melee of destruction instead.

The troll cave venture ended up being a bust since the quest from Brandon was bugged.

I had the same thing goblin had with the Zixzax thing spouting his quest in the wrong place
at both entrances of Phantom Forest so even when I was in the right place it kind of confused me since I already saw that quest prompt earlier.

What made me stop playing for tonight was I fought the
pack of wolves in the Temple of the Dead (on the bridge) and one of them used a skill I think was called Enfeeble which removed all my skills for one of my characters. Is that...supposed to happen?

goblin

I'm thinking of just doing the autosave (now labeled as Manonch Save Rescue), but how do you respec? When does it open up?

It's part of your Homestead eventually. I think it takes 6 or 7 stones to open up; the far right portal from the entrance.

Found the Vial of Blood.

Jesus Douche.

Okay. So the bugged main story quest:
Closing the Rift. It's in Phantom Forest? Can I leave Phantom Forest? Sounds like the Lost Woods.

Congrats!

It's not in Phantom Forest at all. It's in Northern Luculla Forest, northeast of the cave where you did the Immaculate Trials in the desert. It's a big ancient ruin surrounded by lava, you can't miss it.

Stefan™;119972302 said:
Have I missed out on a huge chunk of sidequests if
I refused to join the Fabulous Five
?

Just a yes or no, thanks.

No.
You miss one.

Zukuu

Banned
Wait wait, why is the end of time getting hit by meteors?
There was a Blood rift opened. it's on the 2nd map in the very north east corner. You need to destroy a big blood stone to close the rift. For that, you need a weapon with Tenebrium enchant (and ONLY tenebrium, no other element!). Everything else will heal it.

Antiwhippy

There was a Blood rift opened. it's on the 2nd map in the very north east corner. You need to destroy a big blood stone to close the rift. For that, you need a weapon with Tenebrium enchant (and ONLY tenebrium, no other element!). Everything else will heal it.

Ah alright.

Also just approached
sacred stone
, and I have 2 blood stones. Should I use them to unlock stuff at the end of time or are there quests which requires me yto have them at hand?

Chaos17

Damn it, I didn't saw it and I though I will need to comeback later... need to go back and finish the second zone now. Thanks for the tip.

Eternia

I had no idea that was the case. I was really fortunate my Rogue just happened to pick up a weapon with Tenebrium enchant on it. Would have wasted a lot more time on that silly quest otherwise.

So I just
beat the ghoul outside of the light house and talked to the ghost inside. Is there something else I'm supposed to do for this quest or is that all?

Top Bottom