• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Is this game less taxing or more taxing than Diablo 3?

Honestly just curious because my old laptop with intel hd graphics 3000 runs Diablo 3 pretty well so it might be cool to play this game when I'm away from my desktop.

Sarcasm

Oops, just got it.

Okay, GAF.

Real talk time.

Do I revert to the Manoch autosave or just start over and optimize my party? Because I sold Act 2 Crucial Item X, and it ipso facto isn't letting me make the spell.

When you say you got it you..ran up and took it or kill everybody????

Burt

Welp, seems like I'm not the only one who's forced into the patchwork version of the plot because of straying a little too far in the wrong direction

(Map 2 spoilers)
I'm just doing the elementalist/Hiberheim part through the witch's cabin at level 15 because I didn't find Marandino's Cave until after killing Mangoth, all the goblins on the map, the beginning part of the mines, the Troll King, etc. and all the spiders minus the queen. Probably a bunch more, but even that stuff was disjointed because I did it piecemeal. I'm sure I missed some important stuff because Mangoth came off as some sort of big deal, but I had never even heard of him until that chapel, and I read everything. I don't even know if I can get tenebrium weapons at this point, because I turned Sacred Stone against me while freeing prisoners and had to kill the tenebrium smiths. Ha, and I almost couldn't complete the Troll King quest because I picked up the tenebrium from the smiths and the quest log updated, but I couldn't offer Brandon that tenebrium in his dialog. And I hope I don't need that tenebrium for anything, because I put it down in a stack of 33 that I can't pick up, split up, or put in inventory, because it weighs too much.

Definitely contemplating a restart despite all the time I've put in, because all the loose threads getting pulled by accidentally doing things out of order are really starting to get to me.

Sarcasm

Oh I am more talking about how I can't complete the quest because I can't redo a quest I did many hours ago..not knowing it was for another quest.

Still accepting suggestions for Real Talk, GAF.

Also, where is the next place I'd be able to find Death Knights, to test it? Or should I be able to combine the Blood and Spell on my own? How would I be able to tell if I do indeed have the stuff or if I need to restart or go to a new game?

Oh I am more talking about how I can't complete the quest because I can't redo a quest I did many hours ago..not knowing it was for another quest.

Which quest?

Blu10

Did I screw something up?

Headless Nick Quest..back when I fist started playing like 35 hours ago I did this entertainer quest in cyseal where you talk to a guy to get him to stop cheering and go back to other side. Failed, didn't think much of it...play for 35+ hours and I get to headless nick...

How do I get the crowd to move?

Did the same thing...either buy/use an invisibility potion, or get the spell/scroll that makes you invisible.

goblin

Still accepting suggestions for Real Talk, GAF.

Also, where is the next place I'd be able to find Death Knights, to test it? Or should I be able to combine the Blood and Spell on my own? How would I be able to tell if I do indeed have the stuff or if I need to restart or go to a new game?

What item did you sell? Because if you have Leandra's Blood and Leandra's Spell, try combining them.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Welp, seems like I'm not the only one who's forced into the patchwork version of the plot because of straying a little too far in the wrong direction

(Map 2 spoilers)
I'm just doing the elementalist/Hiberheim part through the witch's cabin at level 15 because I didn't find Marandino's Cave until after killing Mangoth, all the goblins on the map, the beginning part of the mines, the Troll King, etc. and all the spiders minus the queen. Probably a bunch more, but even that stuff was disjointed because I did it piecemeal. I'm sure I missed some important stuff because Mangoth came off as some sort of big deal, but I had never even heard of him until that chapel, and I read everything. I don't even know if I can get tenebrium weapons at this point, because I turned Sacred Stone against me while freeing prisoners and had to kill the tenebrium smiths. Ha, and I almost couldn't complete the Troll King quest because I picked up the tenebrium from the smiths and the quest log updated, but I couldn't offer Brandon that tenebrium in his dialog. And I hope I don't need that tenebrium for anything, because I put it down in a stack of 33 that I can't pick up, split up, or put in inventory, because it weighs too much.

Definitely contemplating a restart despite all the time I've put in, because all the loose threads getting pulled by accidentally doing things out of order are really starting to get to me.

I've wondered how people managed to do this actually. While it is cool that the game allows you to do that the beginning of the area explicitly told you to go find the
white witch
and the mob levels alone make it seem like the wrong way to go. :p

Already I'm regretting not having a fire spell as I have come across situations where I want to burn an oil slick - should I reroll? I'm an enchanter/cleric.

waby

Hi guys! Subscribing to this thread since I got a copy now. My first game session ended in the warehouse where there is a lot of loot at the locked door lol. I rest for the session because I really want to get those loots but can't pick the lock

goblin

I sold Blood.

If you remember to whom, I'd just buy it back and keep going. Shopkeepers seem pretty good about keeping the items that you've sold to them, so it might still be there. Any tweaks you want to do to your main party members can be done through respec and scouring the world for skillbooks will probably take less time than playing through the game again. Failing that, I'd load an autosave as a last resort before I started over.

There actually aren't a ton of death knights in the game past the mines. The death knight spell is almost more useful for removing invulnerability from watcher statues to let you kill them. It might even be possible to go through the rest of the game without being able to kill death knights at all, but I can't guarantee that. I can only really think of one that might be a problem. Specifics below.

The next time they pop up is deep in the Phantom Forest, right before the game's last dungeon. There are a couple of patrol groups that can be avoided, but there's a single death knight that paths right into a group of enemies placed in front of the dungeon entrance that you need to kill. You might be able to go Invisible and bypass them completely, but I don't know for sure.

Hope you can salvage your game!

Already I'm regretting not having a fire spell as I have come across situations where I want to burn an oil slick - should I reroll? I'm an enchanter/cleric.

You can shoot a fire staff at it, if you have one.

Antiwhippy

I would just wait for the next level up to get a point into pyrokinetic and just buy a fireball spell then.

Pyrokinetic has one of the best spell in this game anyway with wildfire.

There will be situations where no matter what element you specialize in, you'll wish you had another. Just deal with it via scrolls or other ways. (special arrows)

Dario ff

Banned
I bought this game yesterday.

pDJwHOu.png

I need a break. I'm really loving it so far though, and I'm not surprised there's any reviews yet with how huge it is. I'm not rushing at all to complete it, it's just really fun to explore around and fight everything on this game.

Cerity

Hire a ranger and use special arrows. A lot more diverse than spells and it's relatively easy to craft those arrows.

Having a blast with the game.

Still in the first town after 15+ hours, taking my own sweet time exploring every nook and cranny.

If I were to have one criticism of the game, it'd be that the armor design looks... strange?

It's almost as if they had some last minute censorship/alterations or something along those lines, resulting in some badly coloured portions where the skin was supposed to be. It seems very out of place and unprofessional as compared to the rest of the excellent texturing work present for the rest of the game (character clothing, ground, weapons, objects and buildings.)

I must be imagining things though, although it'd be nice if it were confirmed either way from folk who've been in this since the Early Access program. I recall in previous Larian games (e.g. Divine Divinity) they didn't give two hoots about offensive armor design at all.

Pollux

I just found the sheep head...and I have no idea what to do now.

Also I get my ass kicked no matter where I go.

I'm so fucking confused.

And fuck you oggie. Fuck you.

Antiwhippy

my archer is so underpowered ; ;

this game is so fun online with a friend

Archer gets better as a utility character as the game goes on I find.

Being able to mute plus charm is awesome.

Then pair up with witchery for buffs, debuffs and summoning skeletal executioners.

Kennyfish

Neo Member
Did I screw something up?

Headless Nick Quest..back when I fist started playing like 35 hours ago I did this entertainer quest in cyseal where you talk to a guy to get him to stop cheering and go back to other side. Failed, didn't think much of it...play for 35+ hours and I get to headless nick...

How do I get the crowd to move?

If you have teleport, you can teleport the guy on the stage away till he dies. Just make sure you are teleporting him out of LoS of anyone

stone128

I just found the sheep head...and I have no idea what to do now.

Also I get my ass kicked no matter where I go.

I'm so fucking confused.

And fuck you oggie. Fuck you.

My feelings exactly when I first started out... it's pretty damn difficult to begin with imo

stone128

Question:

Just did the mines and did away with a ton of tenebrium, the quest log says I should give it to Brandon... but I can't find him in silverglen, I think I might have killed him in a fight earlier on (the shopkeeper nadia sure got the short end of the stick) ... so... what do I do now, I want to craft it and stuff, would Brandon allow me to do that...?

Zukuu

Banned
Where do I buy Fire Elemental if Arhu doesn't have it? He had it once and now he doesn't....
vendors have random stock and reset each time you level up. save BEFORE talking to them once you level up and reload to your liking to see what they offer.

Tom Penny

For everything good about the game it has ridiculous crap that you can't go any further. Been walking around for hours trying to find some stupid white witch spell.so freaking aggravating. More fighting less bullshit trying to find random shit walking like a snail with zero markers.

Antiwhippy

For everything good about the game it has ridiculous crap that you can't go any further. Been walking around for hours trying to find some stupid white witch spell.so freaking aggravating. More fighting less bullshit trying to find random shit walking like a snail with zero markers.

Oh yeah, that one was dumb. Some of the stuff I feel needed a few more hints.

The reveal spell should be north from the witches house where there are a lot traps... or you could
just kill those talking shrooms.

HoosTrax

Congrats, what's ur final verdict on the game? A score out of 10 if you may :p
I would say 8.5 or 9 out of 10. It's a very good game that I wouldn't hesitate to place alongside CRPG classics.

I did have some gripes though. The overall plot and writing, and environmental variety isn't exactly Baldur's Gate or Planescape: Torment quality. Certain gameplay mechanics were a bit grating, including aspects of the loot / shopkeeper inventory system, the over-reliance on pixel-hunting puzzles (searching for tiny switches), and the lack of a mechanism for speeding up combat animations (gets a bit tedious towards the end of the game where both monsters and your characters each get 4+ moves a turn).

I would say 8.5 or 9 out of 10. It's a very good game that I wouldn't hesitate to place alongside CRPG classics.

I did have some gripes though. The overall plot and writing, and environmental variety isn't exactly Baldur's Gate or Planescape: Torment quality. Certain gameplay mechanics were a bit grating, including aspects of the loot / shopkeeper inventory system, the over-reliance on pixel-hunting puzzles (searching for tiny switches), and the lack of a mechanism for speeding up combat animations (gets a bit tedious towards the end of the game where both monsters and your characters each get 4+ moves a turn).

The inventory definitely needs some work. Major complaint about the game.

If you remember to whom, I'd just buy it back and keep going. Shopkeepers seem pretty good about keeping the items that you've sold to them, so it might still be there. Any tweaks you want to do to your main party members can be done through respec and scouring the world for skillbooks will probably take less time than playing through the game again. Failing that, I'd load an autosave as a last resort before I started over.

There actually aren't a ton of death knights in the game past the mines. The death knight spell is almost more useful for removing invulnerability from watcher statues to let you kill them. It might even be possible to go through the rest of the game without being able to kill death knights at all, but I can't guarantee that. I can only really think of one that might be a problem. Specifics below.

The next time they pop up is deep in the Phantom Forest, right before the game's last dungeon. There are a couple of patrol groups that can be avoided, but there's a single death knight that paths right into a group of enemies placed in front of the dungeon entrance that you need to kill. You might be able to go Invisible and bypass them completely, but I don't know for sure.

Hope you can salvage your game!

I'm thinking of just doing the autosave (now labeled as Manonch Save Rescue), but how do you respec? When does it open up?

Tom Penny

Oh yeah, that one was dumb. Some of the stuff I feel needed a few more hints.

The reveal spell should be north from the witches house where there are a lot traps... or you could
just kill those talking shrooms.

The hill with the chest? Already did that eons ago. Got nothing. Then those mushrooms multiply over and over...

I just beat
Braccus Rex, then went to talk to Aureus, he told me to go inform Arhu about it so i did, but there was no dialogue related to that, is this a bug or what?

Pollux

What level are you right now?

I reckon that you should be around... 5-6 before you get to her hideout.

I'm at level 3. Because I don't know what the fuck I'm doing.

I don't know how I'm supposed to gain experience here, because everything I do leads to me dying. And every quest I have so far leads me to somewhere that kills me.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
For what it's worth, for everything the game does well, there's so much to improve over.. I mean imagine the game with NPC schedules, night/day time cycles, better inventory management, more environmental interaction etc.

I totally wouldn't mind a expansion to this game that adds 10-15 hours of new content that increases the level cap to 25 or 30 and adds new skills, new dungeons with challenging bosses etc.

Top Bottom