• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

I'm about an two hours in and the game is now clicking for me. The music has been great so far. I can't wait to start getting into the meat of the game.

Levyne

Banned
So I picked my way into the the cellar underneath where I first met Loic.
Found two blood stones. If I use one to heal the animal for the Bjorn's mount quest, am I free to use the other? Will I regret it?

Eternia

Found two blood stones. If I use one to heal the animal for the Bjorn's mount quest, am I free to use the other? Will I regret it?
I have a couple of extras at the moment after doing that quest and
Frederick quest stole one of mine, although I think I got one back at the end
. You're probably fine?
Finished Rift.

Anyone found the Kickstarter Tree yet?
Yeah, it's in
Phantom forest

goblin

Ah alright.

Also just approached
sacred stone
, and I have 2 blood stones. Should I use them to unlock stuff at the end of time or are there quests which requires me yto have them at hand?

Have you
healed the animal and done Frederick's quest?
If so, go nuts.

There's one more quest that you can use a blood stone for but the quest itself involves getting a blood stone, so that's a wash.

As a general note, there are more blood stones and star shards available than you need for your Homestead so don't feel like you need to hoard them. I found three extras as a matter of course and know I missed at least one. In fact, and I don't think this is too much of a spoiler but just in case:
You are straight up required to have filled out the Homestead to finish the game. It is non-optional. Just do it.

Laekon

How do you get down to the
beach and lair
for the murder quest? I just can't find the path and have cleared almost the entire area outside the town.

Act 2/Ice place/white witch:

Just killed Boreas and freed her. Should I stick around and do more stuff in this wintry place? I couldn't open the door behind the boss battle, and I have been told about a treasure room and to get a medallion.

Mashing

I just got some wicked ass legendary heavy armor for my main character. Got it off
the orc boss west of town
. It has 30+ armor, plus nice resists. He now has 48 armor at level 4. Fire resist and hydro resist of 40-50 percent.

Spookie

Any advice? Since once I pick a second element on my ranger or cleric I'm pretty much committed

Don't spread your characters out too far else you'll gimp yourself come later levels. I find focusing on 1-2 primary skills a character will give you a well rounded toon and you can branch from there. Spreading out and high level skills will cost you FAR too much to cast them. For example immolation (160? damage + burning) is 8 AP but if I've under leveled pyro it's a whopping 10! :/

Eternia

I did and still can't figure out where he went.
So on that ledge he's lying against, you walk up and around the edge towards the northwest corner, there's a switch you step on to reveal an entrance to a cave. Can't quite remember if there was bush or slab of stone by it. Or if you need higher perception or not but mine is pretty low.
Welp. That's enough tonight. Only a few weeks to get ready for con.

Loving the Act 3 town. Dear lord. Such atmosphere.

I know that from backers, just wondering what general direction.
The town was fun, definitely a step up from the end of the previous map.

For the tree,
go deep into the northeast corner of the map, there's a path you go down and you'll see it. The area you need to go is progress gated until you finish a few quests in Hunter's Edge though.

I think I just completed the Hunter's Edge arc.

Holy shit, when I saw that turn order fill up with like two dozen character portraits, I knew I was in for something epic. I admit I might have considered bolting away when I saw those Dread Orcs hitting for 300-400 damage, and for the first two rounds it looked like us mountain friends were severely outmatched. But NOPE, Team Source Hunters swung the battle right in their favour with a few carefully placed debuffs and disables, and after we slaughtered that initial group, we all split off in search of the other orcs in the town. We were just out for blood by that point.

Makes me feel really sad for that orc and human couple, though. I never saw them again. =(

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So on that ledge he's lying against, you walk up and around the edge towards the northwest corner, there's a switch you step on to reveal an entrance to a cave. Can't quite remember if there was bush or slab of stone by it. Or if you need higher perception or not but mine is pretty low.

The town was fun, definitely a step up from the end of the previous map.

For the tree,
go deep into the northeast corner of the map, there's a path you go down and you'll see it. The area you need to go is progress gated until you finish a few quests in Hunter's Edge though.

Goddamnit thank you. I've been there but I guess I wasn't close enough.

Man, there way too many hidden stuff like this for my liking honestly

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hybrids are tough. I'd only go as far as taking low level skills. (e.g. Teleport from Air, Minor Heal from Hydro + Summmon Elemental, Summon Spider from Geo, Rain + Shock, witchcraft's +50% buff (crucial imo) etc) and focus on your main attribute otherwise.
Focus on Blacksmith, 2h weapon and man-at-arms with your warrior and she'll wreck EVERYTHING later.

I'd make Jahan air + hydro. I don't find fire too useful. It offers not much but damage, which the other elements do as well, but have nice CC attached to them. Definitely take 1 point into witchcraft to get the damage buff. It's just too good.

Why the focus on blacksmith, by the way?

Moff

just got to a vendor that can sell me secrets and 2 books of mastery, can anyone tell me what they do?

secrets are hidden chests in the world map, and the books give you skill and attribute points and can be rebought with every level up. needless to say, do that.

goblin

I think I just completed the Hunter's Edge arc.

Holy shit, when I saw that turn order fill up with like two dozen character portraits, I knew I was in for something epic. I admit I might have considered bolting away when I saw those Dread Orcs hitting for 300-400 damage, and for the first two rounds it looked like us mountain friends were severely outmatched. But NOPE, Team Source Hunters swung the battle right in their favour with a few carefully placed debuffs and disables, and after we slaughtered that initial group, we all split off in search of the other orcs in the town. We were just out for blood by that point.

Makes me feel really sad for that orc and human couple, though. I never saw them again. =(

I really enjoyed that area, but
despite all the lead up implying that I'd be on the side of the humans, when I got to the big fight everyone became hostile. I tried reloading a couple times from different points in the quest and always got the same result, so I ended up just wiping the population of Hunter's Edge off the map. Even the cat, the skeleton, and the bartender all fought me at the exclusion of orcs or Immaculates. Oh well. The quest never completed properly, either, so it remained in my journal the rest of the game. What happens at the end if it isn't super broken?

Secrets never seemed worth the trouble to me for finding legendary items compared to
that skeleton vendor outside of Hunter's Edge.
All the equipment I found from digging up chests was underlevel. I never tried save scumming them, though, so maybe that'd be more worthwhile.

Moff

despite all the lead up implying that I'd be on the side of the humans, when I got to the big fight everyone became hostile. I tried reloading a couple times from different points in the quest and always got the same result, so I ended up just wiping the population of Hunter's Edge off the map including the cat, the skeleton, and the bartender who all fought me at the exclusion of orcs or Immaculates. Oh well. The quest never completed properly, either, so it remained incomlpete in my journal the rest of the game. What happens at the end if it isn't super broken?
I guess you can take the orcs side if you choose?
I chose humans and we killed all the orcs everywhere, then they said thanks and disappeared. there was no reward though.

they also attacked me once, but a reload fixed that, not sure what triggered it.

Heh, I only have ONE steam friend who plays DOS.o_O

Is it possible to get 100% achievements in one run?

only with reloading, because there are sometimes different achievements for different ways of solving a quest

despite all the lead up implying that I'd be on the side of the humans, when I got to the big fight everyone became hostile. I tried reloading a couple times from different points in the quest and always got the same result, so I ended up just wiping the population of Hunter's Edge off the map. Even the cat, the skeleton, and the bartender all fought me at the exclusion of orcs or Immaculates. Oh well. The quest never completed properly, either, so it remained in my journal the rest of the game. What happens at the end if it isn't super broken?

Hmm, not quite sure what causes the humans to go hostile. In my game, they showed up as neutral (yellow) NPCs when the fight started, and they stayed that way for the entire skirmish. Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you.

The quest hasn't been marked as completed for me either, even though my characters acknowledged it when the final orc died. But I'm not too bothered by that. I got a shitload of experience out of that part, anyway, so I'm happy. =D

Zakalwe

Banned
Good luck..anyone who beat this game without Google or GAF is some type of savant. It tells you nothing. Immaculate trial lol

The immaculate trial was easy as pie. Put stuff on the pads until they click. Only a few things it could be...

Searching for the
tiny switches
in the
room under the alter
was a pain. Would higher perception help with moments like this?

duckroll

I've been running around town looking for someone who sells a shovel and I haven't had any luck. Unless there's some other tool I should be looking for to dig graves? Any hints? There are people with hammers, pickaxes, needles, cooking pots, all sorts of shit, no shovel! Wtf.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I've been running around town looking for someone who sells a shovel and I haven't had any luck. Unless there's some other tool I should be looking for to dig graves? Any hints? There are people with hammers, pickaxes, needles, cooking pots, all sorts of shit, no shovel! Wtf.

There's a shovel right there in
the town cemetery
isn't there?

Moff

Hmm, not quite sure what causes the humans to go hostile. In my game, they showed up as neutral (yellow) NPCs when the fight started, and they stayed that way for the entire skirmish. Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you.

The quest hasn't been marked as completed for me either, even though my characters acknowledged it when the final orc died. But I'm not too bothered by that. I got a shitload of experience out of that part, anyway, so I'm happy. =D

you can talk to one of the mountain men after your character achknowledged the death of the final orc.. I talked to a named (Julian?) but I guess it should work with anyone. what he said was pretty generic.

koji

Ok, why can't I crush a tomato? I just drop it on the ground and try to hit it with a hammer but no dice.

Also, I started with Rogue and Cleric, might not have been the best setup. Hope they improve with time but I'm considering restarting. Only 4 hours in. The thing I feared for before starting the game is happening though, it's all a bit much...

Oh another question, how does the co-op work, when I join my friends game can I pick up loot and XP and import it back in my game? Or doesn't it work like that?

Sentenza

Beside the one in plain sight in the graveyard, there was a shovel right near the very first portal you cross in the game, way before entering in the city for the first time.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Goddamnit, Frederick died and now I can't complete his stupid quest.

Didn't even meant for him to die. Just joined the spider queen battle for no good reason.

Zakalwe

Banned
Ok, why can't I crush a tomato? I just drop it on the ground and try to hit it with a hammer but no dice.

Also, I started with Rogue and Cleric, might not have been the best setup. Hope they improve with time but I'm considering restarting. Only 4 hours in. The thing I feared for before starting the game is happening though, it's all a bit much...

Oh another question, how does the co-op work, when I join my friends game can I pick up loot and XP and import it back in my game? Or doesn't it work like that?

Co-op is a separate game saved only on the host's machine.

When you join a host's game you take control of whichever character they're not using.

You can join while they're on the character creation screen so you can both design a character.

Am I the only one who has stuttering? For now I fixed it disabling the texture streaming, hope they fix it soon, apparently is some kind of conflict between the audio and the streaming

koji

Co-op is a separate game saved only on the host's machine.

When you join a host's game you take control of whichever character they're not using.

You can join while they're on the character creation screen so you can both design a character.

With both items in your inventory, drag a 1-handed hammer onto a tomato and it should bring something up.

Thanks!

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Those pyramids are damn useful for exploration, especially when you have a rogue (stealthy character who can get to places unseen or a tank you can take a beating with the teleport).

Moving an entire party across the map through enemies is hard, just let your rogue sneak behind them and then pyramid the entire party.

Fuz

Banned

Same setup as me.
It's pretty bad. My cleric has become a wizard with an heal and heavy armor.
The rogue doesn't do much damage and it's very frail and dies way too easily. But it's tons of fun to pickpocket and lockpick. I think a ranger is way stronger.
And on top of that, the stupid random loot system hates me and I never get good loot.

Top Bottom