• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

koji

Man I want steam cloud to work, need to play this at work, copying saves to memstick is a PITA and I'm a bit scared to corrupt everything eventually... :)

This game has too many options. Almost overwhelming. I just wanna press A for awesome sometimes...

But isn't that one of the main problems with triple A games nowadays? That they only have "press A for brief awesomeness" buttons and that gamers are getting conditioned to expecting just that out of a game rather than a rewarding experience in the long run.

I understand that feeling of too many options. It's similar to when I first played Morrowind. But is it really a bad thing that a game requires you to invest some time with it to get the most out of it? Do we really have to be spoonfed all the time? I don't think we do.

Edit: But again, I understand where your feeling is coming from. I get frustrated with the game too at times, because it just refuses to hold your hand, as we are almost used to nowadays. In fact, it was even worse in the alpha. They added quite a bit of hand holding after user feedback, like a more helpful map for example, and I'm not sure about it, but I don't think the tutorial dungeon was planned.

derFeef

But isn't that one of the main problems with triple A games nowadays? That they only have "press A for brief awesomeness" buttons and that gamers are getting conditioned to expecting just that out of a game rather than a rewarding experience in the long run.

Woosh!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
This game has too many options. Almost overwhelming. I just wanna press A for awesome sometimes...
It's awesome because I constantly progress through the game using certain skill combinations that are exclusive to my respective classes.. and then I wonder how do people manage without those skills?!

duckroll

Lol. That's what I get for low-level sarcasm. :(

It's just so hard to talk properly about the game even after hours of play. I feel like I'm still so early in the game that there's nothing much I can really say in detail at all. It's definitely a really pleasant experience, and something I haven't seen in CRPGs in a long time. I do like how the stuff in the first town are starting to come together though. It's nice to see the different quest lines starting to merge and how both main and supporting quests in the region help to build a clearer picture of what's going on. There's a shitload of content in the game but what's really amazing is that they're not just content to make quantity but they're designed in some intelligent way.

Shahadan

Soul Sapped... WHAT THE...? Is it supposed to
remove all and every skill / spell PERMANENTLY from my character? o_O
. If it's intended then that's the single most stupid thing that was ever put into a videogame.
Told ya!

It's a bug apparently.

duckroll

Don't worry, it's not like Bioware will play Divintiy: OS and decide to cancel DA:I in shame.

Or WILL THEY?

I don't care what they do with Dragon Age as long as the next Mass Effect game still has quarian romance options! (This time it's not sarcasm!)

tm24

Why did I spend 2 hours turning invisible and looting Cyseal?

Also, how do I get the legionaire chief to arrest the elf dude?

milena87

Why did I spend 2 hours turning invisible and looting Cyseal?

It's perfectly normal, don't worry.

Cyseal probably looks like a wasteland in most of our playthroughs.

Also, how do I get the legionaire chief to arrest the elf dude

You mean the crazy guy who wants you to kill the librarian? I'm not sure, I
convinced the she-orc in the library to give me her medallion as proof of her death

Moff

I love original sin and I am very much looking forward to Dragon Age.

since pillars will probably be delayed to 2015, inquisition is my most wanted remainig RPG this year.

Risen 3 is coming too, but I havent even played the second one because the reviews were so bad (got it on the steam sale though)

Well, I believed in Dragon Age 2. You know what they say about fooling you twice.

really? the writing was on the wall though, very long before release.

I expected much much much worse from DA2 than the final product actually was. you might say thats impossible, but thats how low my expectations were, I certainly didnt believe it DA2.

Got this last night and put a few hours in. I like it so far. Managed to speak to most of the NPCs in town and kill a few undead outside.

I have a problem though. One of my chaps is set up to be a tank with points in single weapon and shield skills but I cant find a shield! Does Cyseal not have a blacksmith or armourer?

Also, are the water/lightning mage and the crazy old warrior woman the only companions available in the game? If so I may restart and set up my characters to have less overlap in skills.

2San

Am I the only one who actually belives in DA:I?:D Now I don't expect D:OS kind of awesomeness but I still think I will fully enjoy it.
Nah, I think the game will be fine too. They have had decent amount of time to work on it unlike DAII. It's also pretty clear that world isn't just one tiny location.
really? the writing was on the wall though, very long before release.

I expected much much much worse from DA2 than the final product actually was. you might say thats impossible, but thats how low my expectations were, I certainly didnt believe it DA2.
Yeah it was pretty clear well before release that DA2 wasn't going amount to much. Hence I didn't buy it on release (I bought when it was below 5 euro).

Would have been nice if DA:I had co-op tho. :(

Zakalwe

Banned
So no one else is in love with the sound design?

I seriously can't get enough of casting bless, or the little drum beat you kill an enemy...

I have faith in DA:I, I think they know what they have riding on this game if they want the franchise to retain any value. Everything we've seen so far looks good, too. Ugh, Bioware, you'd better not let me down again...

Durante

I seriously can't get enough of casting bless, or the little drum beat you kill an enemy...
I don't really notice sound design when it's done well, but now that you mention it it is really good. I love the sound of oil barrels exploding.

Combined with the music, the whole audio side of things is fantastic. But so are the graphics really. And the gameplay :p

Moff

some of the music is absolutely beautiful, some of the best I heard in the last years.

sound design, I dont know, the heals sound pretty annoying

Durante

Also, are the water/lightning mage and the crazy old warrior woman the only companions available in the game? If so I may restart and set up my characters to have less overlap in skills.
They are the only companions in the game right now, but there are also henchmen with much more variety (but no dialogue). Additional companions are probably coming in August.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

I have faith in DA:I, I think they know what they have riding on this game if they want the franchise to retain any value. Everything we've seen so far looks good, too. Ugh, Bioware, you'd better not let me down again...

The sound is fantastic honestly, especially the music.

Shahadan

Yeah it's a big positive point for me. Everything just sounds wonderful. I particularly like the sound when something disappears or appears in a poof of magical smoke, for some reason.

Zakalwe

Banned
I don't really notice sound design when it's done wellP

I know what you mean. I only really take note now because my girlfriend is a sound designer and constantly picks up on sounds she likes. She's made me appreciate good sound design, and to actively look out for it.

Every battle sound is brilliant, the metallic thunk of melee, the woosh and thud of arrows, the bubbling water behind water spells, the crackle of electricity, no reviews have mentioned this yet (that I can see, pls correct if wrong - the only ones that have scored/mentioned sound have scored it low because of voice work and npc repetition, which is making me sad).

The sound is fantastic honestly, especially the music.

Yeah it's a big positive point for me. Everything just sounds wonderful. I particularly like the sound when something disappears or appears in a poof of magical smoke, for some reason.

Good stuff. And yes, the music is amazing. Really want to buy the OST!

TheContact

I'm a little stuck if anyone could help me out. Second map spoilers
I got Leandra's blood first and the spell paper and made the spell and taught it to my characters, but now what do I do? I thought I'd head to the mines to kill the death knights there but it's been blown up

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I got Leandra's blood first and the spell paper and made the spell and taught it to my characters, but now what do I do? I thought I'd head to the mines to kill the death knights there but it's been blown up

Yeah this had me scratching too.

Talk to the white witch.

I guess the rationale for that is that you've finished her mission of investigating the mines and the cult.

erragal

Am I the only one who actually belives in DA:I?:D Now I don't expect D:OS kind of awesomeness but I still think I will fully enjoy it.

Believe that the world building and quest elements will be similar to the original. Unfortunately I am expecting a real clusterfuck out of the conbat system as their design is informed from two opposing ideals/platforms and executive pressure is on flash/ease of play over tactical gameplay.

It might be worth buying which is more than one could say about DA2.

TheContact

Yeah this had me scratching too.

Talk to the white witch.

I guess the rationale for that is that you've finished her mission of investigating the mines and the cult.

Weird I haven't even gotten rid of the barrier around her house yet. I got the mines mission from Lawrence I believe. That's probably what I have to do next then, thanks.

sammich

Lol. That's what I get for low-level sarcasm. :(

It's just so hard to talk properly about the game even after hours of play. I feel like I'm still so early in the game that there's nothing much I can really say in detail at all. It's definitely a really pleasant experience, and something I haven't seen in CRPGs in a long time. I do like how the stuff in the first town are starting to come together though. It's nice to see the different quest lines starting to merge and how both main and supporting quests in the region help to build a clearer picture of what's going on. There's a shitload of content in the game but what's really amazing is that they're not just content to make quantity but they're designed in some intelligent way.

I sooo agree. This is the first time in a very long long time ive played a game that made me feel like when i was younger and all excited and couldnt stop playing. Planescape: Torment comes to mind first and also Chrono trigger to a lesser extent.

Im still in Cyseal and talking to everyone and theres already a few things i wanna re-do on my next characters.

In regards to item raritys, do the colours progess like this?

White -> Blue -> Green ->Gold(found some legendary one handed sword)

Shahadan

Weird I haven't even gotten rid of the barrier around her house yet. I got the mines mission from Lawrence I believe. That's probably what I have to do next then, thanks.

Oh boy see you in a few hours then :lol:
At least enemies should die in one turn at your level. You were "supposed to" do that first upon arriving in Luculla.

Ourobolus

Banned
Man, been a few days since I've had a chance to play. I'm itching to get back today after work and get back to it. Finally heading towards the lighthouse.

Durante

Believe that the world building and quest elements will be similar to the original. Unfortunately I am expecting a real clusterfuck out of the conbat system as their design is informed from two opposing ideals/platforms and executive pressure is on flash/ease of play over tactical gameplay.

It might be worth buying which is more than one could say about DA2.
I agree with this actually.

My problem is more that I've grown really tired of Bioware companion writing. And those pictures of various companions with the cringe-worthy one-sentence quotes reinforced that weariness on my part.

TheContact

Oh boy see you in a few hours then :lol:
At least enemies should die in one turn at your level. You were "supposed to" do that first upon arriving in Luculla.

I wanted to and as I was wandering around the forest looking for the spell I ended up getting side tracked lol

I'm having some real beginner anxiety or whatever it is with this game. I start up a new file, play like an hour and then make another one.

Pand

Could someone tell me how to get to
Hunter's Edge
? I know what map it's on, but I must've walked past it or something.

Shahadan

Could someone tell me how to get to
Hunter's Edge
? I know what map it's on, but I must've walked past it or something.

There is only one road after you enter the map so I'm not sure how you missed it. After the bridge to enter the map, just stay on the bottom part of the screen and go east. (real east I mean)

Pand

There is only one road after you enter the map so I'm not sure how you missed it. After the bridge to enter the map, just stay on the bottom part of the screen and go east. (real east I mean)

Ah it's a completely different map? I thought it was in Luculla. Cheers!

Zakalwe

Banned
I agree with this actually.

My problem is more that I've grown really tired of Bioware companion writing. And those pictures of various companions with the cringe-worthy one-sentence quotes reinforced that weariness on my part.

Actually, I think I agree with you and erragal. The combat system has the potential to be a complete mess as stated, and I feel the same way about the character portraits...

Why did you have to do this? I was putting my fingers in my ears and hoping. You could have left me happy and delluded.

Chaos17

What the ?!
Since I did the contrary I tough should've done the same like you but I didn't know that the mine will automatacly blow up after the temple quest.
That's should not happen, Larian made a bad move on this because the mines have higher lvl ennemies than the temple.
And the temple even give the ability to defeat the death knights, that just doesn't make any sense.

:(

Something interesting I noticed with some restarts tonight: the loot in the beginning of the game almost certainly skews towards your first (left hand) character's class selection, if not both of them.

In several runs from the start of the game to Cyseal, fighter/knight got axes/swords and mail, rogues got daggers and leather armor, the ranger got some bows. Loot seemed like it was definitely coming out respective to class. Dunno if that persists throughout the game, but it would explain why my first playthrough's knight/witch combo saw hardly a dagger the whole way through.
My friend played mages and there were rarely loots for him from the begining to the end of game.
While me, who played a warrior was overwhelmed by all the equipements, lol.
We had the sensation that there were a lot of loots for melee characters and not very much for range chanracters.

Moff

What the ?!
Since I did the contrary I tough should've done the same like you but I didn't know that the mine will automatacly blow up after the temple quest.
That's should not happen, Larian made a bad move on this because the mines have higher lvl ennemies than the temple.
And the temple even give the ability to defeat the death knights, that just doesn't make any sense.

:(

the way I understood it he cleared the mine before he got to leandras blood. but then thought he needed to head back to kill the death knights

koji

I'm having some real beginner anxiety or whatever it is with this game. I start up a new file, play like an hour and then make another one.

Hahaha, that's a huge PITA, had it as well, only started over once (so far) though.

These games are hell for OCD-esque gamers :lol

TheContact

the way I understood it he cleared the mine before he got to leandras blood. but then thought he needed to head back to kill the death knights

Not having done any of the witch stuff, I went to the mines and blew up the necro totem which controlled the skeles and then left because I thought that's all you could do there. Then I got the blood. Then I met Leandra and escaped via portals. Then I went to the mines to get the spell scroll and when I got out the mine was no longer accessible.

So is this spell pointless now? Am I going to encounter more death knights and have to use this spell? I really wanted to go back to the mine to kill them, otherwise I don't see the point in the spell

milena87

I believe it will be at least decent and I know I'll have to play it sooner or later since it's one of the very few real time with pause party based RPGs. And that's my favourite genre.

It's just that with games like Divinity Original Sin, The Witcher 3, Pillars of Eternity and Torment Numenera it's kinda difficult to get excited about Dragon Age Inquisition.

Maybe if they'd stop focusing on romances and they'd scrap the import save feature, I might actually get excited again.

Top Bottom