• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Durante

Played some more yesterday. We are almost done with Cyseal now, 24 hours in. Probably 2 or 3 more hours to go in that area.

I think the game might be the most fun I've had in coop ever.

Hands down the best old school PnP feeling you can get on a PC imho.
It really is.

It should be explained better that you should save up skill points since you need to invest them cumulatively. At the very least there should be a one time respec option.
There is a respec option later. Comes with some drawbacks though (as, in my opinion, it should).

The camera is driving me insane. Why is rotation so restricted?
Because you haven't unlocked it in the menu ;P

[ and ] switches between party members. Additionally you can press F1 to select your first character, F2 for second, etc. Since we're discussing keybinds, for anyone who isn't aware, pressing the Home key will re-center your camera to the currently selected party-member and also reset the camera height (from the camera bug for example).
If we are discussing keybinds, is there really no way to switch to the second or third skill bar with the keyboard? That would be my pet peeve.

Levyne

Banned
It took me something like 45 minutes just to clean up all of my characters inventory bags today. Finally starting to exhaust map locations around Lucella/silverglen

Tash

There is a respec option later. Comes with some drawbacks though (as, in my opinion, it should).

Sweeeeeeeeet and yup, I agree. Shouldn't be easy to respec.

Because you haven't unlocked it in the menu ;P

Wait, what? Seriously?! Now I feel super dumb :p
Need to check that once I am off work..derp-me.

It took me something like 45 minutes just to clean up all of my characters inventory bags today. Finally starting to exhaust map locations around Lucella/silverglen

Haha yeah, I did that too in the first town still, though. Took me ages.

I dragged a big crate to the crafting outdoor area and put everything in there that can be used for crafting nicely sorted in bags. Have one of my pyramids there, too.

Arulan

If we are discussing keybinds, is there really no way to switch to the second or third skill bar with the keyboard? That would be my pet peeve.

Sadly no. I've seen the issue brought up on the Larian forums though, let's hope they address it. In general I feel that anything that is UI-related and can be clicked on should have a keybind option; developers: feel free to go crazy with keybind options.

Durante

Sadly no. I've seen the issue brought up on the Larian forums though, let's hope they address it. In general I feel that anything that is UI-related and can be clicked on should have a keybind option; developers: feel free to go crazy with keybind options.
Yeah, I agree. It's not a big deal because the game is turn based, but there's really no reason to force people to fiddle with those tiny arrow buttons.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
So Lucella mines...
how exactly do you get past the gate on the east? I've managed to basically explore the whole available area using invisibility to sneak past the death knights to no avail

Hoping that going to the
initiative town after completing the trail puts me on the right track to get past that

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Public service announcement: If you're going to kick someone from your game, at least do it right away, and not five to ten minutes into gameplay. I feel like some people are cruising along with multiplayer turned on, someone joins, they decide that they don't like you messing with their characters all of a sudden and kick you. I can't seem to get a decent drop-in game going.

badb0y

Combat is so fun but the AI wrecks me. Apparently the AI can synergize much better than I can.

Fucking scumbag bone archers. 1 throws poison arrow, the other throws fire arrow. GG my party.

Leezard

So Lucella mines...
how exactly do you get past the gate on the east? I've managed to basically explore the whole available area using invisibility to sneak past the death knights to no avail

Hoping that going to the
initiative town after completing the trail puts me on the right track to get past that

You need a password, it can be acquired
earlier in the mines.

tm24

Spent an hour cleaning my inventory and crafting, Ive never had so much fun being OCD.

Just to double check, at crafting lv5, i can combine 2 blank elemental scrolls into a blank elemental skillbook, and then apply one of the named scrolls i have to make it into said named skillbook right?

Also, whats more beneficial, dumping your gear or smelting it down?

Monooboe

So Lucella mines...

Hoping that going to the

You can explore beyond cave ins and maybe you will find something that in turn will help you speak to those you didn't say much.;)

I've been wondering about the pyramids, most forcefields can be bypassed by just throwing one of the thru it, there often is just one spot where it can land but it probably is cheating, which would be fine for a rogue like me but I'm just worried that not going about it the right way I might not trigger a script or something important.o_O

Ragona

Quick question regarding hunters edge
Ive just killed all the orcs in town after the stone war quest went boom..now i have the source hunters revenge quest left...norok is on the top level of the tavern but killing him does nothing..so how do i end the quest?

I really wish I hadn't made one of my main characters a sword and shield build. Just feels so worthless. 20 hours in and I'm seriously considering starting a new game. I would've done it sooner but I just now found out there are only the 2 extra party members you can recruit. I was hoping to swap out Madora for another mage.

danthefan

For wizards/witches, what's the best way to spend ability points beyond just leveling your different types of magic? Any must have skills?

Orgun

I really wish I hadn't made one of my main characters a sword and shield build. Just feels so worthless. 20 hours in and I'm seriously considering starting a new game. I would've done it sooner but I just now found out there are only the 2 extra party members you can recruit. I was hoping to swap out Madora for another mage.

Grab a Mage hireling from the Hall of Heroes. I found her annoying and replaced her with an archer myself :)

TheContact

What don't u like about Ur sword n shield char? That's what I did for my main and he's the second strongest only to Madoras 2h

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I have so many cheeses.
Do I need them? Absolutely not. But I can't help myself. Everytime I find some food in a wooden crate I have to pick it up.

Just found some dude at the King Crabb Inn who wanted us to join his Guild. In any other game I would have said yes without a second of a doubt, but in Original Sin... I'm actually role-playing. Haven't decided every aspect of they're personality yet, but it's getting there. Torcher my Wizard, he doesn't trust the fella.
But I don't want to miss out on interesting questlines either. Decisions, decisions... :p

The insane amount of repeating dialogue seems to be a lot less since the last patch, or have I gotten used to it?

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
...The insane amount of repeating dialogue seems to be a lot less since the last patch, or have I gotten used to it?

This could be called streamlining, but I like would if the some of the text dialogs for NPC had a marker of sorts which says "Yeah you heard this already" as a suffix for the dialog options, if the same exact text caption you have heard before is supposed to come up again after you tap that text.

Moff

Quick question regarding hunters edge
Ive just killed all the orcs in town after the stone war quest went boom..now i have the source hunters revenge quest left...norok is on the top level of the tavern but killing him does nothing..so how do i end the quest?

talking to him with madora in the party should start a fight
maybe there are other ways to solve this

awesome, so my choice of Witch to start with is fine then. Any suggestions for the second starter? A Rogue maybe?

Yeah it is not a bad choice. If you don't want your characters' abilities to overlap much then someone with a range weapon like bow or crossbow might be good as this game has tons of cool special arrow types.

So Lucella mines...

Hoping that going to the

Nope the mine is self-contained, you can finish it before doing any other quests.
One tip:
when finding yourself blocked, destroy.

What don't u like about Ur sword n shield char? That's what I did for my main and he's the second strongest only to Madoras 2h

Yeah, same with my sword n shield guy, just increase one hand and some maa skills.
But I do agree that powerful 1h weapon are much rarer than 2h. At least for me. But you can craft for yourself.

I have so many cheeses.
Do I need them? Absolutely not. But I can't help myself. Everytime I find some food in a wooden crate I have to pick it up.

You do need them for a quest :p But I am having this hoarding problem too. My food can feed the entire Cyseal for a week.

Also my crafting ingredients will sufficiently makes me a more successful trader than any vendors in the game. hmmm.

Zakalwe

Banned
Ok, I think I may have bugged this...

Brandon.

I took the quest from him, but before I found the Troll King I picked up some Tenebrium and the log updated telling me I'd found some ore in the Troll king's cave even though I hadn't been there.

Eventually made it to the cave, cleared it out, picked up some ore, but speaking with Brandon there's no option to hand him the ore, and it doesn't show up in my pack to trade it (even if I remove it from the safety box).

Sound like a bug Any ideas?

Thanks. :3

Zukuu

Banned

Brandon.

I took the quest from him, but before I found the Troll King I picked up some Tenebrium and the log updated telling me I'd found some ore in the Troll king's cave even though I hadn't been there.

Eventually made it to the cave, cleared it out, picked up some ore, but speaking with Brandon there's no option to hand him the ore, and it doesn't show up in my pack to trade it (even if I remove it from the safety box).

Try to
make it into a bar.
I picked up some ore as well elsewhere, and the quest told me I got it from the Troll King. I smelted it and could give him the box without hassle. OR maybe you need more than a few ores?

Shahadan

Brandon.

In any case you need to give the box filled with ore/bars to a source hunter before talking to Brandon.

Zakalwe

Banned
Is it a conversation option?

I found the
How to handle
book in the
Geomancer's office
, and now it's showing up in trade, but giving Brandon ore or bars that way has no effect.

And yes, it's on my main character, I have 15 ore 4 bars, no options at all...

Sentenza

Is it a conversation option?.
It should just be the one about his retirement plan, if I remember right.
Be careful to keep just few tenebrium ores/bars in your inventory when you try this, because apparently he takes any amount you have.
The first time it costed me more than 30 bars and 10 ores. Then I tried again just with the ores (putting the bars on the ground) and it worked fine.

Moff

well it needs to be in the safety box, that should prompt a dialogue with brandon.
I got my tenebrium from the mines , not the troll cave, and it worked that way.

you game sounds bugged

Zakalwe

Banned
It should just be the one about his retirement plan, if I remember right.
Be careful to keep just few tenebrium ores/bars in your inventory when you try this, because apparently he takes any amount you have.
The first time it costed me more than 30 bars and 10 ores. Then I tried again just with the ores (putting the bars on the ground) and it worked fine.

Ah, it worked!

If it's in the cage it won't trigger the event.
I was holding it without the
Tenebrium ability
and it didn't trigger.
When I used the
Gemoancer's book
and gained the
Tenibrium ability
, it triggered.

Not sure if that's all intentional, seems like you should be able to hand him the ore even if you don't have the ability... maybe I'd bugged it somehow before and it fixed itself somehow... if others have been able to hand it to him under the conditionas that seeemd to prevent me then it must have.

I also had a weird bug where my Knight was holding the cage but I couldn't remove anything from the it directly to his inventory, only pass it to another character. And giving the cage to another character didn't show the option to pass it to my Knight. I sent everything to the homestead, including the cage, and picked it back up. Fixed it. Could have had something to do with that.

Stefan™;120475837 said:
Just discovered that I can change my party's formation..

*implodes*

Now that you mention it, that must be what the dice above my character portrait is for. All this time I had been controlling my characters manually as needed in order to navigate carefully around certain traps. This should help quite a bit.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Now that you mention it, that must be what the dice above my character portrait is for. All this time I had been controlling my characters manually as needed in order to navigate carefully around certain traps. This should help quite a bit.

Yea going single file is really handy when navigating tight spots.

CHC

Oh man so glad about the latest patch, downsampling is super easy now (no need to change desktop res). Also so glad they allowed the fonts to remain visibly sized at high resolutions.

Just starting the game in earnest now. I know people rolled their eyes at it but I loved the
Chrono Trigger-esque
zone early on. I love when shit comes way out of left field like that, even if it is a bit goofy. I can tell I'm going to like this, the tone is a nice break from all the obscenely self-serious fantasy in other RPGs.

Durante

Oh man so glad about the latest patch, downsampling is super easy now (no need to change desktop res).
Oh wow, so the whole AlwaysDownsampleRes feature in GeDoSaTo lost its one use case :p

It was a strange idea to not allow resolutions higher than the desktop resolution.

Chaos17

You will be able to re-spe your main characters for 1000 gold, don't waste your time to re-do the game. Just continue the story until you unlock that room.
Though, for the beigining of the game I never found my warrior useless until the mages got some awesome AoE skills and spam them, but that was in the end of game.

Ah, it worked!

If it's in the cage it won't trigger the event.
I was holding it without the
Tenebrium ability
and it didn't trigger.
When I used the
Gemoancer's book
and gained the
Tenibrium ability
, it triggered.

Not sure if that's all intentional, seems like you should be able to hand him the ore even if you don't have the ability... maybe I'd bugged it somehow before and it fixed itself somehow... if others have been able to hand it to him under the conditionas that seeemd to prevent me then it must have.

I also had a weird bug where my Knight was holding the cage but I couldn't remove anything from the it directly to his inventory, only pass it to another character. And giving the cage to another character didn't show the option to pass it to my Knight. I sent everything to the homestead, including the cage, and picked it back up. Fixed it. Could have had something to do with that.

You're unlucky, I just gave the blood box witht tenebrium in it and that was it.
Quest closed and he gave the skill to handle tenebrium.

The game has so many bugs when ending quests. Yesterday i had a bug when i
told nadia and then she exposed lawrence. He then ran out and was confronted by the miners but then nothing happened. Reloaded and he was killed right the moment he came out. Quest closed.

Hari Seldon

Is there a point to crafting in this game? I'm going around collecting everything but the only thing I make is healthy potions. I am finding enough magical gear and scrolls and stuff to not have to craft anything so far. However I'm only level 6. Should I bother to keep hoarding crafting mats?

duckroll

It's been days now, and I still haven't found the way to get to the other side of the beach. Lol. Enemies in the forest area seem way too strong for me, but I hate fighting the undead, so I've been taking it slow. I cleared out two small areas today which led to different underground areas. Didn't seem to be able to do anything with them. One has a tomb I can't seem to interact with, the other has some elemental switch puzzle? I dunno!

Durante

Is there a point to crafting in this game? I'm going around collecting everything but the only thing I make is healthy potions. I am finding enough magical gear and scrolls and stuff to not have to craft anything so far. However I'm only level 6. Should I bother to keep hoarding crafting mats?
Crafting is very powerful, but you don't necessarily need to craft.

It's been days now, and I still haven't found the way to get to the other side of the beach. Lol. Enemies in the forest area seem way too strong for me, but I hate fighting the undead, so I've been taking it slow. I cleared out two small areas today which led to different underground areas. Didn't seem to be able to do anything with them. One has a tomb I can't seem to interact with, the other has some elemental switch puzzle? I dunno!
You suck.
For the elemental puzzle, find the second one. It's quite close to the first.

Also, generally you should go to the north-west areas first. Though we did those last and still somehow managed to make our way through the entirety of Cyseal :p

I think I'm onto something worth the murder quest. Only problem is the next part is in
Silver Glen and the guards warned me about leaving without a proper party.

Instead I decided to go west which is supposed to be the easiest area and do that quest from Aureus. I get there and it has level 6 enemies. Am I heading to the right direction for the lighthouse? I took the gate near the harbour.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm onto something worth the murder quest. Only problem is the next part is in
Silver Glen and the guards warned me about leaving without a proper party.

Instead I decided to go west which is supposed to be the easiest area and do that quest from Aureus. I get there and it has level 6 enemies. Am I heading to the right direction for the lighthouse? I took the gate near the harbour.

Assuming that is west, you want to go through the gate to the north. The time of day should change and it should start raining if you are in the right area. You should be facing undead enemies, not Orcs.

For the Light house you should exit the aforementioned gate and head north west relative to your position.

Northern beach? Head out of the eastern gate.

Dario ff

Banned
I have so many cheeses.
Nobody has as many friends as the man with many cheeses!

OT: Is Vsync a bit dodgy for anyone else? If I use it I seem to get drops to 30 in the forest areas and some other heavy graphical areas in the game, but I get a constant above 60 framerate with Vsync off. Problem is the tearing is really noticeable, which is really annoying in a game where you have to constantly pan the camera. What better solution do I have by using the Nvidia Control Panel?

Thank heavens I'm not the only one that had this problem. Head northeast of town. It's east of the stream.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
OT: Is Vsync a bit dodgy for anyone else? If I use it I seem to get drops to 30 in the forest areas and some other heavy graphical areas in the game, but I get a constant above 60 framerate with Vsync off.

That's what V-Sync does... it keeps the framerate locked to a multiple of your monitor's refresh rate, if it can't maintain 60 it drops to 30. You alleviate this by turning on Triple Buffering.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
You do need them for a quest :p But I am having this hoarding problem too. My food can feed the entire Cyseal for a week.

Also my crafting ingredients will sufficiently makes me a more successful trader than any vendors in the game. hmmm.
There's a Cheese Quest?! Tell me about this noble cause!
Slowly exploring the first town. So much to see and do. :)

But eh, is it just me, or did the game's performance go down after the latest patch from two-three hours ago? I've had no performance issues and everything went buttery smooth, even on ultra, but now it's all stuttery. Really annoying. :/

Top Bottom