• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Dario ff

Banned
That's what V-Sync does... it keeps the framerate locked to a multiple of your monitor's refresh rate, if it can't maintain 60 it drops to 30. You alleviate this by turning on Triple Buffering.
Well the thing is that the framerate without Vsync seemed to be constantly above 60 in the same scenarios (70-90 FPS), but now I can't even reproduce the same effect with Vsync after the new patch. I'm gonna guess the streaming was part of the problem and the small delay caused the display to constantly go to 30 (Maybe I should've measured frametimes instead to see what was going on). I went ahead and enabled Triple Buffering anyway and it seems pretty smooth so far.

EDIT: The Triple Buffering option wasn't there before the patch was it? Better than relying on the control panel I guess.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
They patched it in yesterday yea.

As for the control panel, the triple buffering option in the nVidia control panel is for OpenGL games only. If you want to force it in DX games you need a tool like D3D Overrider.

Alastor3

New patch!

I wonder what it is!

edit: nvm I think it's yesterday's patch

Also is there better potions other than small health + small health ?

Sinatar

New patch!

I wonder what it is!

Patch notes

Update v1.0.67
11 July - lar
Hi everybody!

Some fixes weren't ready in time for yesterday's update but they are ready now:

- Fixed issue where some game sessions could crash when playing in the Black Cove
- Fixed issue with missing sounds
- Region swapping while sneaking will no longer crash the client
- Fixed crash when the game didn't find a sound device
- Fixed issue when saving during the start of a combat

Please, don't forget to check the integrity of your game cache whenever an update is released.

To do so: right click on Divinity:Original sin in your library, select properties, click on local files and then click on "verify integrity of game cache".

Next week btw we'll be bringing you extra AI personalities together with a number of improvements based on your feedback.

Have fun!

Palehorse

It has just occurred to me I haven't used my teleport stones even once yet. What interesting ways can they be used?

I realized this last night, so I left my party and walked one guy back to a vendor to pick up a lockpick and then POOF, used the pyramid to teleport back to my party.

I need to keep an eye out for any other opportunities to use them.

It has just occurred to me I haven't used my teleport stones even once yet. What interesting ways can they be used?

Go into a cave, put one stone at the entrance so when you finish
you dont have to backtrack.

Split up party. For example Jahan go ahead to get past traps with invisibility then the rest teleport to him.

Etc.

One example: Get one of your characters out of the party, move the other one away far enough. Start a fight with one character. Kill an enemy, e.g. by using stealth or through environmental features. Hit the teleport stone to get out of the fight. Get back to the fight. Do the same. Thus you can gradually reduce the number of enemies you're fighting.

Laekon

So I'm in the Black Cove area with
all the switches in front of the big skull. I can't get the damn thing to open and I've pushed all the switches. They don't reset so it can't be a particular order.
What's the trick?

Zeliard

Go into a cave, put one stone at the entrance so when you finish
you dont have to backtrack.

Split up party. For example Jahan go ahead to get past traps with invisibility then the rest teleport to him.

Etc.

You can get by forcefields with them as well.

Don't ask me how that works!

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm in the Black Cove area with
all the switches in front of the big skull. I can't get the damn thing to open and I've pushed all the switches. They don't reset so it can't be a particular order.
What's the trick?

Answer:
Switch should be to the left side in the bottom corner of the area next to the staircase if I recall correctly.

Venfayth

Having trouble figuring out where I should be fighting things.

I've done most of everything that I can find in cyseal, now I'm in the forest, all the enemies I can find are like level 12 and I'm level 10. Are these what I'm supposed to be fighting? Or are there level 10/11 things somewhere?

Sinatar

I've pushed all the switches.

No you haven't.

Having trouble figuring out where I should be fighting things.

I've done most of everything that I can find in cyseal, now I'm in the forest, all the enemies I can find are like level 12 and I'm level 10. Are these what I'm supposed to be fighting? Or are there level 10/11 things somewhere?

Focus on the white witch quest, that will get you to level appropriate stuff.

Shahadan

Trial of Ascension

So I've lit one of the self awareness pillar but can't seem to light the others...every other statue I can destroy is the wrong one. Also I can't solve the candle puzzle in the library...I need help lox!

Walked into a trap in which any step I took would've rested in my demise by explosion. Walked the rest of my party away from the trapped room and then teleported my "trapped" character out.

Is crafting and blacksmithing important? Should I have a guy dedicated to it?
Thanks for the replies last night btw. I'm still in character creation :lol been over an hour. I love the hair, it's detailed and clay-like. Looks really nice.

Megasoum

Banned
So I started playing the game last night. I'm still super early (in the tutorial dungeon). I love what I'm seeing so far.

One quick question, is there a way to make it so that when you move by holding the mouse button it always goes to the maximum speed instead of setting the speed to how far the cursor is from the character?

epmode

So I started playing the game last night. I'm still super early (in the tutorial dungeon). I love what I'm seeing so far.

One quick question, is there a way to make it so that when you move by holding the mouse button it always goes to the maximum speed instead of setting the speed to how far the cursor is from the character?

I don't think this is possible. I find that turning up the camera panning speed and just clicking at the destination is a better way to play but it would be nice to have the option.

One thing: It's occasionally useful to have the ability to walk. No slipping on ice that way!

Megasoum

Banned
I don't think this is possible. I find that turning up the camera panning speed and just clicking at the destination is a better way to play but it would be nice to have the option.

One thing: It's occasionally useful to have the ability to walk. No slipping on ice that way!

Ah, good to know!

Alastor3

I have a multiplayer session with a friend but im currently starting a new game on normal (or maybe hard ?) difficulty with a mage and an archer with the talent lone wolf, any additional tips ?

Zakalwe

Banned
Thanks for the replies last night btw. I'm still in character creation :lol been over an hour. I love the hair, it's detailed and clay-like. Looks really nice.

They're both great imo.

Crafting is good for special arrows for your ranger, upgrading armour and weapons with materials for +stats, brewing potions, etc...

Blacksmith is more specific, building weapons. You can take a Steel bar and make a 2 handed Axe, for example, and the created item will be relevant to your current level. As you level, if you haven't found a decent Axe in a while, you can smelt your old one down and rebuild it for your current level.

You won't be stumped without them, but they give more options for obtaining gear.

Zakalwe

Banned
I have a multiplayer session with a friend but im currently starting a new game on normal (or maybe hard ?) difficulty with a mage and an archer with the talent lone wolf, any additional tips ?

Why lone wolf? You don't need it, mid game you'll be plenty powerful anyway, and the extra utility of a henchman/companion just gives you more options = more fun!

As you're not taking a melee character, Madora will be incredibly useful.
She's a 2h companion who (if you spec her right) can hit like a truck. A truck with a metor for propellant. She's beastly.

And having a ranger henchman or second mage will add a tonne of utility.

Of course, you're free to do whatever suits you most! It's just that almost everyone I know who's taken LW has regretted it mid game...

Eternia

Trial of Ascension

So I've lit one of the self awareness pillar but can't seem to light the others...every other statue I can destroy is the wrong one. Also I can't solve the candle puzzle in the library...I need help lox!
I think you need to progress through the other doors before the candles. This entire section is knowing how to effectively use the
pyramids
to get to where you want The first path is to the
upper right, the treasury leading to a key
, second path
left past the sentinels for another key
then finally right
giant teleporter maze
where the exit depends on finding the
hidden switch
. I did not destroy any
statues, one of the books said that wasn't a good idea
so I avoided that. I had to look up the candles since I found only 2 books with someone mentioning there were 3 so do as follows:
Light all the outer ones, wait for the lightning bolt. Light the middle one only, wait for the lightning bolt. Light any 3 I believe, wait once more

Sacred Stone question:

Does anyone know what the
Draconic statues
are for in the
Immaculate prison
?

I never did figure that out... peeking in the editor it looks like there might be some thing associated with them since they're a QuestItem RootTemplate and send a UseEvent to Osiris (their scripting system) but I don't know how to figure out what that is and I don't seem to be able to open scripts? I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Zukuu

Banned
If you have a melee, Blacksmithing is the single most important ability to go for, when it comes to damage. Blacksmith + Man-at-arms +2h weapon and you will create A MONSTER. Crafting is useful to enchant gear + weapons with elements or improve your plate armor to give it +movement speed.

Right, entered Cyseal now, this place is bloody massive. Gonna need to devote a fair bit of time to learning this place and find everything I need.

danthefan

One example: Get one of your characters out of the party, move the other one away far enough. Start a fight with one character. Kill an enemy, e.g. by using stealth or through environmental features. Hit the teleport stone to get out of the fight. Get back to the fight. Do the same. Thus you can gradually reduce the number of enemies you're fighting.

Now that is sneaky. I like it.

Lol, I went by to Cyseal because I realized I'd never used the
teleporter pyramid
. Tried to move the chest in the room so I could steal it without Cecilia noticing and I crushed her with it.

Fuz

Banned
Need a little help in Hiberheim...

I don't understand how to get the chest with the lava all around it that's behind the closed door when you use the teleporter west of the castle.

Anyone?

Sinatar

I don't understand how to get the chest with the lava all around it that's behind the closed door when you use the teleporter west of the castle.

Anyone?

We just teleported it out of there.

duckroll

I've come to the realization that if the entire game just took place in Cyseal, it would still be one of the more impressive CRPGs in years. I think the "feeling" really starts to kick in after more than 10 hours of play, when you start to get a bit lost but your exploration naturally starts to bridge different routes together and you start to see how the entire region is designed and how the surroundings are linked. Really cool stuff.

HoosTrax

Anyone?
Cast Flash Sweat. Wait, wrong game. Other than teleporting, another option is to use a character with 100% fire resistance and cast Chill on them beforehand. (fire resistance doesn't seem to prevent Burn status/damage)

Leezard

Anyone?
Third option, not including the ones people above have posted:
use the tornado spell to remove the lava.

Cyrano

I've come to the realization that if the entire game just took place in Cyseal, it would still be one of the more impressive CRPGs in years. I think the "feeling" really starts to kick in after more than 10 hours of play, when you start to get a bit lost but your exploration naturally starts to bridge different routes together and you start to see how the entire region is designed and how the surroundings are linked. Really cool stuff.
I want to use this stupid scroll already. Why can't I get to that beach!? LET ME KILL THE WITCH! SHE WEIGHS THE SAME AS A DUCK!

*sigh*

I hate feeling lost. :(

(no hints... I'll figure it out)

Also, why in the world does Fire Elemental make fighting so much easier? Fire Elemental is love, Fire Elemental is life.

I'm also beginning to appreciate how strong Warriors can be. I need to get more abilities though. Actually, where is the Man-at-Arms ability book salesman?

Alastor3

Why lone wolf? You don't need it, mid game you'll be plenty powerful anyway, and the extra utility of a henchman/companion just gives you more options = more fun!

As you're not taking a melee character, Madora will be incredibly useful.
She's a 2h companion who (if you spec her right) can hit like a truck. A truck with a metor for propellant. She's beastly.

And having a ranger henchman or second mage will add a tonne of utility.

Of course, you're free to do whatever suits you most! It's just that almost everyone I know who's taken LW has regretted it mid game...

why ? What happen mid game ?

Difficulty spike ? I hate playing with more than 2 characters

Cyrano

I'm playing Lone Wolf too. I like it. I don't like fighting large groups but bosses have been much more manageable so far.

I haven't made it to mid-game yet so I have no idea what they're talking about though.

Valkyra

Banned

I'm actually in this boat too, I hate micromanaging and a firm believer in lone wolf. Problem is (I played on hard mind you) it won't be viable against the huge packs of enemies the game throws at you. Creating choke points and kill zones kinda worked but as soon as the range gets sights on you and the CC rolls in and you have too many problems to deal with. Mid game you'll have good enough spells and a base AP spread to take control of the battle before you can be CC'd or even better have enough points/gear to be immune to it.

Also I'll note glass cannon is perfectly viable thanks to shield spells, it just needs to be your first priority if you can't lock down the battlefield.

Cyrano

what characters did you make ?
Mage and Warrior. 2H Warrior and Toolbox Mage. I spend a lot of time with my Warrior knocking everyone down and then using summons with my Mage. (Started with Spider/Healing/Flare for Mage and Ram/Range Knockdown/Bandage). Willpower and Bodybuilding have also been vital to me not getting hit with the million obnoxious status effects in this game.

Also, this is just a personal (and probably stupid) choice, but I'm currently playing my mage with no weapon. I really hate staves for Mages as a trope. =/

Top Bottom