• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Cyrano

For Cyseal, Aureus in the legionnaire building sells some books.
Thanks!

Also, graphical question. I have a 1GB graphics card and feel like I should be able to run the game pretty well, but turning it up even a little bit causes some severe lag. Is the game just poorly optimized or should I be getting better framerates?

Glass Canon is completely changing how I play the game, wish I'd added it to my Witch earlier! It and Leech are a pretty nice combination.

Is the leader skill worthwhile?

Moff

I've come to the realization that if the entire game just took place in Cyseal, it would still be one of the more impressive CRPGs in years. I think the "feeling" really starts to kick in after more than 10 hours of play, when you start to get a bit lost but your exploration naturally starts to bridge different routes together and you start to see how the entire region is designed and how the surroundings are linked. Really cool stuff.

the time I spent in cyseal was clearly the best I had with this game, in the beta even.
not saying the other zones are bad, they are pretty good even and better than I expected, but there is so much to do in town, many quests, many different ways to solve them, many secrets. the game feels alive and you can manipulate tons of things and yes, you feel lost and overwhelmed by it. cyseal is really greatness.

Zukuu

Banned
Glass Canon is completely changing how I play the game, wish I'd added it to my Witch earlier! It and Leech are a pretty nice combination.

Is the leader skill worthwhile?
Take level 1 on one of your melee/archer/rogue chars, and take level 2 on one of your mage chars. Best points ever spent. Permanent +5 initiative, +10% damage buff and level 2 adds +10% hit chance for your weapon based classes on top. so one char has level 1 and one char has level 2.

ZoddGutts

It got a good review at PCGamer.

fqqB0D9.png

But then when you see this:

KufXbGH.png

Makes you shake your head in disappointment. Also the Witcher 2 got a 89 still lower than DA2.

Alastor3

I'm actually in this boat too, I hate micromanaging and a firm believer in lone wolf. Problem is (I played on hard mind you) it won't be viable against the huge packs of enemies the game throws at you. Creating choke points and kill zones kinda worked but as soon as the range gets sights on you and the CC rolls in and you have too many problems to deal with. Mid game you'll have good enough spells and a base AP spread to take control of the battle before you can be CC'd or even better have enough points/gear to be immune to it.

Also I'll note glass cannon is perfectly viable thanks to shield spells, it just needs to be your first priority if you can't lock down the battlefield.

What do you mean CC ? I plan to do mage and archer, do you know if Glass Canon is good with archery ?

Mage and Warrior. 2H Warrior and Toolbox Mage. I spend a lot of time with my Warrior knocking everyone down and then using summons with my Mage. (Started with Spider/Healing/Flare for Mage and Ram/Range Knockdown/Bandage). Willpower and Bodybuilding have also been vital to me not getting hit with the million obnoxious status effects in this game.

Also, this is just a personal (and probably stupid) choice, but I'm currently playing my mage with no weapon. I really hate staves for Mages as a trope. =/

What the weapon do ? Staff is only for attacking when you don't have enough AP for your spells but I guess you can play the entire game without weapon and only do spells, right ?

Zakalwe

Banned

fqqB0D9.png

KufXbGH.png

Makes you shake your head in disappointment. Also the Witcher 2 got a 89 still lower than DA2.

Different reviewers?

Can't really complain about that.

If it's the same person then they're nuts. :p

epmode

RPS review: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/07/11/wot-i-think-divinity-original-sin/

The journey has been a long one and I’m pleased that the ending is a happy one. At the beginning of these thoughts I said that the role of critic can be kind and fulfilling. That’s because for all of the ideas that I admired in that early build more than a year ago, I suspected that the best of them might fall apart as the game grew in size and complexity. Against strong odds, Larian have fulfilled the early promise and the extra time, effort and money has all been invested wisely. The sausage has become a steak, succulent and flavoursome, and I have a new toy to play with and return to over the coming months and years.

Not many complaints:

As good as the game is, I do have a few complaints. The loot system isn’t as interesting as I’d hoped, with only the occasional exciting or esoteric item turning up during exploration off the beaten path. And the main questline, while mostly strong, isn’t quite as weird and wonderful as some of the more delicious branching side stories. It’s enormous though and the game is packed with content. I’d have liked the world to be larger rather than quite so dense, mostly because I enjoy investigating the places in between dollops of written content, but there are so many things to see and do.

I absolutely agree with the bit about loot, not sure about the other stuff yet since I'm still pretty early.

Facism

i wish respec didn't wipe yuor ability memory :/ Really should have wiped whatever you didn't account for after you respec'd, not before.

Now i'm looking around like a mug for all the decent pyro spells i had before plus geomancer spells.

fqqB0D9.png

KufXbGH.png

That's fucked up.

Maybe they meant Dragon Age 2 - PC Gamerscore 49, because it's the only thing that makes sense.

Zukuu

Banned
So like I'm 20+ hours in and still on the first map.

There are 4 maps? All as big as the first?

Jebus.
They aren't as dense as the first map and one is rather small. There are multiple "sub maps" tho, so they make up for that. You pretty much look at a minimum of 70-80 play time, if you do most things.

Zakalwe

Banned
So like I'm 20+ hours in and still on the first map.

There are 4 maps? All as big as the first?

Jebus.

I'm 93 hours in and I'm not on the final map yet, and I still have a lot to finish in the areas I've already been. I've been taking my time, exploring everything, crafting and sorting my inventory, etc...

The first map is the most most dense, but even the sparser maps feel worthwhile exploring. There's plenty of content in this game.

-

I'm currently exploring the maps looking for anything I might have missed, and mopping up anyone I feel is kill worthy for the XP. I wiped out
Sacred Stone
, I discovered the
waterfall
and decided the world would be a better place if everyone who lived there suddenly stopped breathing.

Just passed through the
Goblin Village
and won the skill check, spoke to the
totem
and watched them dance for a while, now I cant bring myself to kill them because they're so ridiculous.

Exploring is the best part of the game, imo.

Erekiddo

Man, this game is giving me trouble on the battles.

I started off with an archer as my male, and in the first few battles, he had attacks I no longer see. Like a poison arrow and an arrow that would bounce off of multiple enemies. Now I can no longer use these. Were they just consumables?

Where can I get new skills for my archer outside of leveling up?

Zakalwe

Banned
Man, this game is giving me trouble on the battles.

I started off with an archer as my male, and in the first few battles, he had attacks I no longer see. Like a poison arrow and an arrow that would bounce off of multiple enemies. Now I can no longer use these. Were they just consumables?

Where can I get new skills for my archer outside of leveling up?

Press K to bring up a menu with all learnt skills, then drag and drop them to your hotbar.

You may have had one time use scrolls, but if you've actually learnt them they'll be here.

I wiped out
Sacred Stone
, I discovered the
waterfall
and decided the world would be a better place if everyone who lived there suddenly stopped breathing.
Exploring is the best part of the game, imo.

This is what I am gonna do after I am done with the map. That was a horrible view.

imtehman

Banned
need help at hunter's edge
i followed the blood to where the vent is but i have no idea to how to open it or go down because it said the fall is too high

and is 5 the max number of pts you can put on skills? e.g man-at-arms, pyro, witchcraft etc

Eternia

Anyone else completely ignore scrolls? I haven't touched them after the first few hours of the game.
Pretty much. I did use some at the end in an attempt to shorten what was an already long fight for me. But that's more due to my party composition/decisions than anything else.

Cyrano

What the weapon do ? Staff is only for attacking when you don't have enough AP for your spells but I guess you can play the entire game without weapon and only do spells, right ?
Weapons are mostly just used for damage, and you're right, you don't need the weapon for anything, as far as I know, so if you have enough spells you can just use those. That said, having a weapon means you can get stat bonuses from the weapon (just as with armor).

Shahadan

I think you need to progress through the other doors before the candles. This entire section is knowing how to effectively use the
pyramids
to get to where you want The first path is to the
upper right, the treasury leading to a key
, second path
left past the sentinels for another key
then finally right
giant teleporter maze
where the exit depends on finding the
hidden switch
. I did not destroy any
statues, one of the books said that wasn't a good idea
so I avoided that. I had to look up the candles since I found only 2 books with someone mentioning there were 3 so do as follows:
Light all the outer ones, wait for the lightning bolt. Light the middle one only, wait for the lightning bolt. Light any 3 I believe, wait once more

Thanks!
I went everywhere before posting that and I destroyed one statue that was a good one but couldn't figure out out to light the other two self awereness statue. I lit the candles following your advice, thanks!

I got to the final boss but I'm doing so little damage that it'll probably take me an hour or more to kill it @_à

I still don't understand the aoe system. For example, when casting fireball it seems to lock to either target but if you mess with the mouse long enough it can go between the two targets, getting both. Is there a way to prevent locking?

Alastor3

I really want to play only 2 characters. I wonder if that build will be good. I played a lot with my mage on my multiplayer game but now I want to try the single player with a mage and a ranger that have the talents lone wolf and glass cannon. I never used Ranger yet so I don't really know how to build it.

With that group, I want to kill enemies from far away. I don't know what other talents I should pick up. It's also the first time im using Glass Canon so, from what I read, I should put less points in speed and more in constitution right ?

I guess I could have pick up a man-at-arm with a mage. I could have raise the fire resistance of my warrior so I can cast a lot of fire damage that will heal my warrior too when it will be over 100%. But I dunno, I really like the feeling when I tried the Ranger.

Am I doing something wrong ?

Weapons are mostly just used for damage, and you're right, you don't need the weapon for anything, as far as I know, so if you have enough spells you can just use those. That said, having a weapon means you can get stat bonuses from the weapon (just as with armor).

oh right I forgot about that!

nbthedude

I still don't understand the aoe system. For example, when casting fireball it seems to lock to either target but if you mess with the mouse long enough it can go between the two targets, getting both. Is there a way to prevent locking?

You can use Control to just target an area of the map rather than a specific enemy.

Tanolen

I really want to play only 2 characters. I wonder if that build will be good. I played a lot with my mage on my multiplayer game but now I want to try the single player with a mage and a ranger that have the talents lone wolf and glass cannon. I never used Ranger yet so I don't really know how to build it.

With that group, I want to kill enemies from far away. I don't know what other talents I should pick up. It's also the first time im using Glass Canon so, from what I read, I should put less points in speed and more in constitution right ?

I guess I could have pick up a man-at-arm with a mage. I could have raise the fire resistance of my warrior so I can cast a lot of fire damage that will heal my warrior too when it will be over 100%. But I dunno, I really like the feeling when I tried the Ranger.

Am I doing something wrong ?

oh right I forgot about that!

With lone wolf and glass cannon and 15 speed my warrior was able to have 26 recovery ap per round. I was also able to have 16 stength 18 con and 17 perception. So you get alot of points to spend.

About the PCGamer review, after 100+ hours I'm near finishing the game and I only see two problematic areas in it:

• Inventory management gets cumbersome after a while. Putting the character sheet and inventory in the same window is a bad idea because of the crafting (that problem didn't exist in the old Infinity Engine games because in them crafting was limited or non existant), so you accumulate materials too fast and then you have to scroll up and down a lot, because a lot of times the tools used to process the ingredients and the ingredients are on different inventory categories, and to drag one over the other you have to select the "all objects" category. Of course you can use containers to store the ingredients, but that involves a lot more mouse dragging, and that's playtime you're wasting on menial tasks. A clear usability problem.
  • The writing of quests in the journal is not clear enough about the objectives of said quests, specially in the second area of the game. In that area, I ended with three main quest branches to complete and there was not any indication in the journal texts about which one of them should be completed first, and in fact there were dependencies between them that were not stated clearly. In the end I did them in enemy-level order, which is a sure way to follow the path the developer intented, but it's a kind of metagaming that pulls me out of the story, when I should be playing by immersing myself in the logic of said story.

I could criticize the writing style (sometimes too "funny" for my tastes), but I accept that that's their style and they have the right to make a light-hearted adventure if they want (although it gets a bit darker as the game progresses).

Also, about the lack of explanation of the gameplay, almost everything is on the manual (except a much needed spell list and level progression table), so the reviewer saying the game is slow in introducing the gameplay seems a bit unfair to me. People should read the manual.

In general I agree with what I read in the review but that 87 feels like being cheap with scores. Maybe it's something psychological on my part but I feel that a 90 would fit more with the feeling of satisfaction the game has left in me. I think this game is important because it's the first game in quite a few years that embraces being a hardcore rpg (instead of simplifying/dilluting rpg mechanics) and at the same time is a very solid game made by (despite the flaws I mentioned) clearly competent/experienced developers instead of some half-assed nostalgia effort, and as a result feels rich, deep and well crafted.

Anyway, if this one got a 87, I don't expect PoE getting less than 90 in any case.

Zakalwe

Banned
D:OS isn't perfect, but I haven't enjoyed a game this much for years. Word of mouth has pushed this game, and it will continue to do so regardless of the scores it receives.

Besides, most of the issues people have will be smoothed out with mods in the coming months.

Naix

Banned
With lone wolf and glass cannon and 15 speed my warrior was able to have 26 recovery ap per round. I was also able to have 16 stength 18 con and 17 perception. So you get alot of points to spend.

26 ap recovery per round ?

With Lone wolf and 9 speed I have 10 ap per round. And it seems right according to the formula.

I'm still at the beginning of the game so there might be some items with ap recovery stats ?

Zakalwe

Banned
Has this review been mentioned?

When it was posted, the screenshots were all taken from the alpha build evident by the alpha text showing. The review also contained a lot of inaccuracies, such as suggesting the max party size was 2, and referenced things that clearly showed he hadn't played the release build.

The text has since been updated, and he's ripped screens from other review sites to replace his own, but his review still has the same score and is showing on Metacritic.

It wouldn't usually bother me, but I'm quite invested in this game and think Larian deserve better!

Zukuu

Banned
i cleared through that already there was no update on my journal as to whether i'm advancing through the quest
before the
two guys you meet there is a corpse... loot it.

With Lone wolf and 9 speed I have 10 ap per round. And it seems right according to the formula.

I'm still at the beginning of the game so there might be some items with ap recovery stats ?

Glass Cannon talent doubles your AP recovery.
All I've seen are weapons and boots with +1 max AP. Was amazed that the AP stats were missing otherwise. In particular rings and amulets need some more interesting effects imo.

Sentenza

When it was posted, the screenshots were all taken from the alpha build evident by the alpha text showing. The review also contained a lot of inaccuracies, such as suggesting the max party size was 2, and referenced things that clearly showed he hadn't played the release build.

The text has since been updated, and he's ripped screens from other review sites to replace his own, but his review still has the same score and is showing on Metacritic.

It wouldn't usually bother me, but I'm quite invested in this game and think Larian deserve better!
I complained a bit about the original few pages back in this thread.
I can see he's willing to correct the most blatant evidences he didn't play the game without admitting his dishonesty.

Yeah that review is an embarrassment. I wouldn't even care about the score if the text backed it up but come on. It's too bad they changed the alpha screenshots but it's no better since those are beta screenshots, it clearly says so in the top-right corner.

Valkyra

Banned

Without lone wolf and just using glass cannon I was at 20/20 AP (24/24 hasted) a round with almost 500 HP. I have a love hate relationship with basically needing almost all the stats for fluid working character in battle.

I'm super early, a few hours in, but I'm kinda down on the story. I already started skipping past convos, maybe reading a few words in a large paragraph for each click. Most of my time has been spent OCD-clicking on everything. I'm not sure I can get into these CRPGs the way I could 15 years ago. Gonna keep at it and see what happens. Maybe I'm just tired today.

Right 3 hours in now. I'm kinda wandering aimlessly around town when it's comes to dealing with
the murder investigation, so far I've discovered the body switch and dealt with the sheep. Need to do more investigation, I guess I need to partake in some stealth, thievery and lockpicking in order to do this I imagine.

Also, right now it seems I have a lot of junk in my inventory that I'll need to get rid of too, ended up going overboard and picked up every shell I saw, plus a load of other crap too.

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm super early, a few hours in, but I'm kinda down on the story. I already started skipping past convos, maybe reading a few words in a large paragraph for each click. Most of my time has been spent OCD-clicking on everything. I'm not sure I can get into these CRPGs the way I could 15 years ago. Gonna keep at it and see what happens. Maybe I'm just tired today.

If you're finding yourself skipping the dialogue I'd take a break and come back later. You need to pay attention to what's being said, not only to follow the story but many of the quests rely on you reading what a certain npc told you to have any idea where to go.

It could get quite frustrating if you're skipping it all/

Zukuu

Banned
I don't get the Trial of Ascension at all. Need some pointers.

I already opened the last door (where you have to light the candles) by randomly doing stuff lol, but I sill wanna know how that is supposed to work. I can to the room before to the Air door and Earth door. I tried every button-combination and no other door opens for me. So what am I supposed to do here?

edit: fuck tiny buttons. really. who thought pixel hunting to that degree was fun? >_> (in the room with the poison cloud)

Alastor3

The story is really great and become more awesome when you see the white witch

Top Bottom