• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

mkenyon

Banned
So started this up with a pal on hard. The party is my main (Cleric style), a mage type, a two handed warrior type, and his main (a rogue).

This game is fucking hard. I'm having to rely on scrolls/pots for most fights. Scrolls especially as only being able to do one thing a turn is painful.

I love it.

Just got to the final dungeon.

Cheesed the hell out of the battles surrounding it, but so worth it.

Invisibility + the ability to store Barrels in your inventory = amazement.

Varna

What's bad about lockpicking and such?

You don't need them . You can break down any door you can pick, you don't need much (if any) sneak skill to actually steal anything (you can just use your companions to distract NPCs). Pickpocket is the only really useful skill.

TheContact

In the second map there's an npc named Roy who has some animals
he's selling at Sacred Stone for slaughter. I killed Roy and told the cows not to pursue the golden fields because I figured they would die and sent them back to Cyseal. Just wondering what would have happened if I told them to go find the golden field

Zukuu

Banned
Just finished the game. Clocked in at 82+ hours according to steam, including 5-6 hours of beta, save scumming and having the game idle in the background every now and then. So roughly 72-75+ hours pure play time including exploring everything and doing every side quest I stumbled upon (the only one that was left in my quest log was the
weresheep
).

Its really been a pleasure to play and the beginning was just stunning and so much fun I couldn't believe it. I was looking forward to play further, whenever I didn't play it and was always thinking about it. It's rare a game does that. Easily GOTY material and with a few patches and changes or mods, it's gonna be a true cRPG classic to behold. I hope we see more battle systems that are inspired by this game. It's the best non-action RPG combat I've ever played. I want more of that. The freedom the game offers, both inside and outside of combat are just astonishing. The soundtrack is also just amazing. 'Nuff said.
It has a few downsides, but those pale in comparison to the amazing whole package the game has to offer. While serviceable, the story was kinda weak. It was pretty uninspired and it ended pretty anti-climactic. Divinity II handled that way better imo. The loot system is pretty boring. I don't even mean the randomized loot in general, but rather that you have little to no variation on what you can have on the items. A belt will always have the same modifiers and nothing unique. Not even legendary ones. Would have loved to have some unique effects on legendary gear, other than just more stats or being able to cast flare... That's is pretty meh. Immunity to stunned/poison etc is okay, but if it's the only modifier you can hope to see, it's not very exciting either.
The balance is also a bit off. The beginning had the right challenge, but became from the mid-game onward way too easy. It's rather simple to fix that with a bit of number-tweaking some abilities and talents. The journal should be a bit clearer on how to progress exactly. Not by much, but some information recorded was more helpful than other. Should just be a bit more consistent. Tiny buttons (for quests) really need to be addressed for a few specific parts of the game. Requiring Perception for some parts of the main quest is also ludicrous (e.g.
Source Temple button in the teleport maze
). And FUCK slip. Seriously.
Other than that, it was a pure pleasure to see the hours fly by, when I was exploring the world of the game. Hope Larian has a big success with the game, so we can see more games. So far I enjoyed all games I have played by Larian (mostly Divinity series) and I hope to see more.

...and with that I'm in dire need to step back a bit. Just checked the "who posted" list. Holy shit... xD
newbitmapimageiwd1h.png

You don't need them . You can break down any door you can pick, you don't need much (if any) sneak skill to actually steal anything (you can just use your companions to distract NPCs). Pickpocket is the only really useful skill.

The benefit of lockpicking is that weapons rapidly degrade if you simply smash through everything. Of course that stops being an issue if you have a character invest in blacksmithing and have him/her fix your weapons on the fly. It's definitely a skill worth ignoring.

Final dungeon:

It won't let me inside the inner chamber. It says I can enter, need to collect my memories, but then it never lets me in.

Help?

Zukuu

Banned
Final dungeon:

It won't let me inside the inner chamber. It says I can enter, need to collect my memories, but then it never lets me in.

Help?

You need to
have used enough Blood/Star stones to unlock more places of your homestead / memories to enter.

You need to
have used enough Blood/Star stones to unlock more places of your homestead / memories to enter.

I apparently am only missing one portal and one Elemental Room. I really didn't think Blood Stones that were optional would be so important. I think I have all the story stones.

Star Stone Locations:

1) Murder quest/Jake's room
2) Bracchus Rex
3) Road to Silverglen
4) Black Cove
5) Immaculate Church
6) Boreas' treasure room
7) Goblin Village

What am I missing?

Eternia

Star Stone Locations:

1) Murder quest/Jake's room
2) Bracchus Rex
3) Road to Silverglen
4) Black Cove
5) Immaculate Church
6) Boreas' treasure room
7) Goblin Village

What am I missing?
There's one in Hinterheim Prison (Iron Maiden), Immaculate Trial (automatic), Maradino's Lair, Loic's cellar had two?

Dec

There any reason I made the game, and my wife joins into my game, but she seems to be the party leader? She can set followers to follow her but I can't get them to follow me and I can't access their inventories.

I also can't put custom markers on the map?

Edit: May have figured it out, whoever's portrait is on the top left is party leader.

Actually not the case. I don't know how it works. I kind of would rather her control Madora instead of me but she can't set her that way. So I either have full control or none at all.

There any reason I made the game, and my wife joins into my game, but she seems to be the party leader? She can set followers to follow her but I can't get them to follow me and I can't access their inventories.

I also can't put custom markers on the map?

Edit: May have figured it out, whoever's portrait is on the top left is party leader.

Actually not the case. I don't know how it works. I kind of would rather her control Madora instead of me but she can't set her that way. So I either have full control or none at all.

Esc > manage characters (I think)?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Just hit that 50-hour mark.

Probably going play the game at a relaxed pace right now since I'm starting to feel a bit burned out from the amount of playing I've done in the past two weeks plus uni starts soon soo.

ZoddGutts

Anyone seen this? Game font changes. Big Post coming.

Horrorscope said:
http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=515969#Post515969

How to:

Download LSTools, install and run.
I used this version: https://mega.co.nz/#!Rwd1zLaJ!29VAX82KYe4ibOIu2aRrxw_ZK4dEEh4YDgeWZCLg6Lo

dos8.png

Unpack Game.Pak found in your main D:OS folder.
(Notice I made a backup and added a .org extension)

dos14-1.png

Save it wherever you want to. (I'm using e:\temp\Game Unpack)

dos15.png

Go into the unpacked folder you created, ..\public\game\gui\fonts

dos11.png

There are the 8 fonts used in game. There is the LSX which makes the most sense to edit that in LSTools, I just haven't had immediate success going that way. So what I simply did was find a TTF Font that I liked and renamed it to match those 8 names exactly. So the game is still looking for the same font names, it's just that those fonts were changed with something else.

Then Repacked the game folder: (Made a folder called Game RePack)

dos12.png

(For Source Paths choose the Unpacked Game Folder you made, compression doesn't seem to matter)

dos13.png

Repackage...

And take the re-packed Game.Pak and copied in over the games actual Game.Pak.

dos14-1.png

Done.

So the main thing is finding a font you like.

Tip: Also be prepared to redo this after a game update. I just found that out.

Horrorscope said:
Some Before/Afters:

Before:
dos16.png

After:
dos19.png

Before:
dos17.png

After:
dos20.png

Bonus After: (NPC Dialog, nice and clear)
dos18.png

It is just bolder and clearer, Combat log, Inventory/Stats.

Horrorscope said:
:)

Since the grids don't resize/scale we have to make it fit in with what they give us. So we can put slightly larger fonts by design in vs what the game ships with. The main thing we are looking for is a crisp, easy to read, bulky font, so it can be read well against a moving background.

Here is another font that works well:

dos25.png

Here are some comparisons of the smaller sections of text, with our stats:

Original:
dos23.png

Liberation, a clean bold font:

dos22.png

Poetsen One, a fat but clean font:

dos24.png

Somewhat subtle, but really still quite a bit clearer. Popup chat, much easier to read against a living background.

Sadly I can't test it, I keep getting a msvcr110.dll is missing whenever I try to open lstools. Maybe if someone tries this they can PM me the modified Game.pak with the changes made to the font.

Hit 70 hours. I've completed the
mines, witch's cabin/Hiberheim, the immaculate initiation and I'm up to the fight with Mangoth.
Had some trouble with it so I went back to the desert area to explore some. This is the first time I've felt a little aimless, is this area basically unconnected to the main quest?

JLeack

Banned
I wish I enjoyed this game as much as everyone else. My Summer break has been pretty boring because of how blazing hot it is in Southern California (I WANT TO SKATEBOARD DURING THE DAY DAMN IT!). Oh well, no game can please everyone.

Fou-Lu

This might be my favorite WRPG of all time when I am done with it, there's just so much to do and see and explore, the atmosphere is excellent, the graphics and music top notch, the co-op best in class, and don't even get me started on how well it scratches my D&D itch. So glad I let myself be convinced by you guys to buy it.

Dec

Esc > manage characters (I think)?

Thanks for this. Useful to know. Still for some reason only one person can make map flags? Not sure how it decides who, I've just been making sure I am 100% fully loaded in before she joins.

I was also automatically assigned the character on the right in character selection, where as I've seen in videos they are assigned the left one. As I said, she joined my game though so I'm not sure why it would be like that. If she joins my game as I'm on the first loading screen she seems to take game leader for some reason.

With the manual assigning of characters it's not a huge issues, just takes a bit longer to get into the game the first time as the loading screens are very long for me.

Monooboe

Question about Hunter's Edge.
The quest from the cat to kill all the rats, where you have to kill the Rat King but doing so you get that "killing an innocent" dialogue, is it possible to kill the rat king somehow without that? Am I missing a important part of the quest?

Mashing

Anyone else been getting a lot more crashes since the last patch?

Does it happen when you attempt to load previous saves (especially quick saves)? I quick save A LOT, but the past few days I've experiencing CTD's when loading saves. They might have introduced a bug.

Speaking of bugs. DO NOT DESTROY THE CHEST TO THE LEFT OF THE BED ON THE 2ND FLOOR BROTHEL BEDROOM. You'll save yourself some heartache by not doing so, trust me.

Found a bug in Coop.

Don't talk to the Companion Guy in the Hall of Heroes at the same time as your Coop buddy, or it'll bug the newly recreated companion out of the game.

Question about Hunter's Edge.
The quest from the cat to kill all the rats, where you have to kill the Rat King but doing so you get that "killing an innocent" dialogue, is it possible to kill the rat king somehow without that? Am I missing a important part of the quest?

No, killing the Rat King is absolutely a valid way to finish that quest. I killed him in the basement of the orc's tavern, so there was no NPC around to call me out, heh heh.

Morokh

Still in the first zone, i'm closing on the murder suspect
the Healer apprentice
, i've done the lighthouse,
the cave under the graveyard
and some other fights around town, and explored most of it and yet every unexplored area I come across (in which my remaining quests seem to be) hav monsters one or two levels above me.

Is it supposed to be like that or did I miss something ?

Monooboe

No, killing the Rat King is absolutely a valid way to finish that quest. I killed him in the basement of the orc's tavern, so there was no NPC around to call me out, heh heh.

I managed to do it differently!:D
I provoked the Ratcatcher into a fight and killed him, that got me further into in the quest and he wasn't considered an innocent.:D

Durante

Still in the first zone, i'm closing on the murder suspect
the Healer apprentice
, i've done the lighthouse,
the cave under the graveyard
and some other fights around town, and explored most of it and yet every unexplored area I come across (in which my remaining quests seem to be) hav monsters one or two levels above me.

Is it supposed to be like that or did I miss something ?
What level are you?

So, apparently Gruntila has a Blood Stone.

A huge new complaint about this game is how they seem to just litter Blood Stones in the weirdest places.

So, apparently Gruntila has a Blood Stone.

A huge new complaint about this game is how they seem to just litter Blood Stones in the weirdest places.

Again, I'm not 100% sure about that.
She's definitely using them in a scene, but I'm not sure she actually is carrying one.

Also, did the door actually say you needed bloodstones? It could be there's some other criteria (like clearing out Hunter's Edge).

Leezard

Again, I'm not 100% sure about that.
She's definitely using them in a scene, but I'm not sure she actually is carrying one.

Also, did the door actually say you needed bloodstones? It could be there's some other criteria (like clearing out Hunter's Edge).

Are we talking about the Phantom Forest dungeon?
Source Temple
, that is.

I think the criteria is to
Open all rooms in the homestead, so even if you have used more bloodstones you still need to go through the cutscenes where Zixzax shows you to a new room, enter and exit the room. If you have not finished the "invasion of homestead" quest then that might be th problem.
I might be mistaken, though.

Ok ... I think I screwed up.
I'm completely stuck at the White Witch battle where the enemy summons a ton of
earth elementals.
They have kicked my ass harder than anything in this game. My whole team is at level 9 so I wonder if that's the problem. I mean, fuck .... I simply can't keep up with their DPS. There's too many
earth summons crippling
my people and the boss guy is immune to too much shit for me to stall his summoning.
Knock someone down- a cleric asshole undoes that, try to play the field- doesn't matter cause boss dudes gonna summon rock folk non-stop ... and cleric asshole is gonna inspire them asap.

I turned around at the
Troll cave area
because I noticed that everyone there was 3 levels above my party and taking 2 of them on at once was cutting it close ... thought I would be at the right level for the
Witch
though.

PS: Does the effects of yous skills lessen the higher level something you're fighting is? I mean ...I have no clue how my level 9 tactics aren't working on things at level 12-13 and I can't get new skills till level 10. :/

Are we talking about the Phantom Forest dungeon?
Source Temple
, that is.

I think the criteria is to
Open all rooms in the homestead, so even if you have used more bloodstones you still need to go through the cutscenes where Zixzax shows you to a new room, enter and exit the room. If you have not finished the "invasion of homestead" quest then that might be th problem.
I might be mistaken, though.

Getting so annoying. I've found three in the last hour and none of them work.

Leezard

Getting so annoying. I've found three in the last hour and none of them work.

I think your problem is either the
invasion
(which should be easy for you to confirm or deny), or that you warped out of the last room you discovered in the homestead instead of walking out of it. Or do you have all rooms?

Sentenza

Just in case there is someone else hre who finds the randomized loot one glaring flaw of this game, I'd like to point that I just started a feedback thread about it on the Larian forum (mmh, I hope it sin't against the rule to point it).
I could have probably argued my point a bit better, but right now I still feel sleepy, I'm going to work in minutes and I guess I covered the basics of what my argument for hand-placed loot, anyway.

Durante

Just in case there is someone else hre who finds the randomized loot one glaring flaw of this game, I'd like to point that I just started a feedback thread about it on the Larian forum (mmh, I hope it sin't against the rule to point it).
I could have probably argued my point a bit better, but right now I still feel sleepy, I'm going to work in minutes and I guess I covered the basics of what my argument for hand-placed loot, anyway.
Thanks for the link, when I'll have some more time I'll argue against you there ;)

Durante

Actually, what I'd like to argue for is randomization but with the random key fixed at game creation time. And maybe a more tuned loot engine / tables in order to better fit a given party's needs.

The reason I like having randomness is because I think it makes the incredibly versatile battle system of the game shine even more. Since you have to more or less deal with what you are given, everyone will find some unique ways of accomplishing their goals, instead of a "perfect" gameplan developing after some time (like e.g. for the IE games).

First defending NWN2 user interface, now random loot. You are a force for evil in the world.
Don't forget RTwP!

I think we agree on gridless TB systems though? Because some people also think that's evil :p

Sentenza

Oh, I agree that a fixed seed will solve part of the problems with excessive randomness.
I still completely disagree about random loot being a good thing to any degree, or promoting versatility.

And yes, I love gridless, vector-based tactical gameplay.

Top Bottom