• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Zukuu

Banned
Pretty early in the game question : (murder quest)
Where do i find the sorceress' secret hideout? It said northwest beach but I'm not finding it. Also, I just read the poem thing while in the right position to reveal it, right?
search
the hut more closely. you get a marker that shows the location if you find the right thing.

Alastor3

maybe I shouldn't make a mage/ranger lone wolf, but I did it anyway. I still don't know if I should have at least a man-at-arm with me but now it's too late. The first few levels and battle are really difficult since I don't have good armor and not much health.

A few little things that have 'bugged' me lately:

Crafting using the inventory - having to drag and drop items onto each other. If it works - great! If it doesn't... things start to move around all over the place.

Inventory - There's no real way to organise and 'lock' your stuff in a set place. So it's a little messy at times.

Elemental Warfare - I love that they've tried this and there's some insane combos, but was really disappointed when I tried to electrify a stream and nothing happened. It doesn't seem to take actual natural elements into consideration. There were 5 bad guys trying to cross the stream and I thought 'OH YEAH', but nope... nothing.

Decided I'm gonna start over today.

Noticed that I love my Mage ... and Ninja ... so much so that I want to combine them. I wanna make a Mage- Rouge and a Rouge- Mage. One with Fire and one with Air.

Mainly cause I'm tired of putting up with this weak ass mage companion. He basically can't move and attack or do more than one attack at a time because it eats all his ap >_>

At least this way I could have at least 1 reliable transport skill ready a set up some AOE things faster.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Got the game through a good deal (dunderdeal), and am finally ready! Don't have too much time available this week-end, but I guess I'll squeeze some hours in come Monday.

Been playing an hour or so, and it definitely brings me back to the golden age of pc rgps (baldurs gate etc.), good feels.

My computer struggles a bit with the game (GTX 770, i5 760 @ 2,8gHz). I guess it's a bit CPU heavy?

Levyne

Banned
So is a magical unlock book not a thing? I finally found another scroll and
I am wondering whether I should use it on the Chest near Braccus. Or I remember seeing 3 other chests I beleive in the Homestead/

Durante

Man, there's quite a lot of well-done programming in this game that constantly impresses me:

- Very seamless terrain streaming: The performance is still being optimized, but I've never seen terrain popping in except for the northern part of Cyseal. If there's multiple LOD levels I can't really tell, all I've seen so far is just it loading the higher quality textures.

- Pathfinding: Can walk from one edge of the map to the other while avoiding already-detected traps and hazards without ever getting stuck in a wall so far. This is kinda expected since the older games had to implement quite a few hacky workarounds to pathfinding AI so the performance was good in older systems, but I'm still really surprised at how good it works here. Navigating an area like Black Cove completely unharmed after the whole place was secured is just really impressive to me.

- I have no idea how huge these save-files must be, because they save literally everything. I haven't been able to break the game at all yet by reloading while doing anything, and all the corpses and items scattered across the world are all still in their spots. I heard some people broke NPCs scripting, but I've tried saving/reloading during lots of scripted sequences and I couldn't get them to break either. It puts it into perspective quite a bit when lots of AAA games lately are afraid of giving you anything else than Autosaves or checkpoint-based systems.

- A vector-based combat system with AI that works well with it and with terrain as complex as this is no small feat.

These aren't really anything ground-breaking, but the polish and attention to detail on these aspects help the game shine a lot.

TL;DR; I'm surprised a cRPG actually works as intended for more than 90% of the time. :p
Agreed. It's doubly impressive when you consider that at the same time you also have games which don't manage to implement a working "save anywhere" system :p

Also, I'd add the whole networking implementation to your list, in particular having someone fight a turn-based battle while the other player is doing something entirely different (or fighting a different battle, and then being able to merge those if they meet).

Two programming thumbs up.

Torraz

So, uh, is there a problem if you kill the major Cecil of the town in Chapter 1?

Accidentally walked into his room. Managed to kill everyone. Would hate to have to reaload.

Adding more and more oil to an increasing fire was awesome!

So, uh, is there a problem if you kill the major Cecil of the town in Chapter 1?

Accidentally walked into his room. Managed to kill everyone. Would hate to have to reaload.

Adding more and more oil to an increasing fire was awesome!

You'll not be able to finish some quests related to him. But otherwise no.
Do not tell me the
cat
is dead too?

epmode

- Very seamless terrain streaming: The performance is still being optimized, but I've never seen terrain popping in except for the northern part of Cyseal. If there's multiple LOD levels I can't really tell, all I've seen so far is just it loading the higher quality textures.

My only complaint here is how the game apparently only loads highest resolution textures when an object gets closer to the camera. Some rocks/doors/walls look terrible until I scroll them towards the bottom of the screen. They even go back to the low detail texture when I move the camera back to where it was!

(I'm not talking about zooming in, just panning so that the object is closer to the camera)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So I watched the Giant Bomb Quick Look and the battle theme is based on a song from Divinity 2 :O. Are there any more callbacks to Divinity 2 / Flames of Vengeance?

So I watched the Giant Bomb Quick Look and the battle theme is based on a song from Divinity 2 :O. Are there any more callbacks to Divinity 2 / Flames of Vengeance?

Kirill Pokrovsky, the composer for Divinity, fell ill during development of Divinity: Original Sin. Because of this, they decided to remaster (I think) some older songs and put them into the game, rather than ship with less music or delay the release.

Since this is a prequel, there is probably more references than that, though it would take a better Divinity loremaster than me to figure them out.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Kirill Pokrovsky, the composer for Divinity, fell ill during development of Divinity: Original Sin. Because of this, they decided to remaster (I think) some older songs and put them into the game, rather than ship with less music or delay the release.

Since this is a prequel, there is probably more references than that, though it would take a better Divinity loremaster than me to figure them out.

Oh that's a shame. Not that I mind listening to old tracks, Kirill is a kickass composer and I can listen to the tracks forever.

This might be considered a spoiler for a character:
Is Bellegar, the world's greatest rhyming wizard in the game?

Gotta save something for the sequel!

Or expansion pack! The way they seem to have set the game and engine up lends itself extremely well for expansions.

Eternia

So is a magical unlock book not a thing? I finally found another scroll and
I am wondering whether I should use it on the Chest near Braccus. Or I remember seeing 3 other chests I beleive in the Homestead/
I opened the
treasure box by Braccus
with a key I got from
killing Cassandra
. I was hugely disappointed by its contents though since it was
low-level crap

This might be considered a spoiler for a character:
Is Bellegar, the world's greatest rhyming wizard in the game?
Yes, seemed like he's involved in some optional content

Final dungeon:

So I got into the Temple via so many hidden Blood Stones. I am not in the mood for some final puzzle crap, which this looks to be. Instruct me, GAF.

Zukuu

Banned
Final dungeon:

So I got into the Temple via so many hidden Blood Stones. I am not in the mood for some final puzzle crap, which this looks to be. Instruct me, GAF.

if you want to skip the pretty pointless puzzles. just go to the library and
-light all candles except the middle one
-wait for a lightning.
-light only the middle one.
-wait for a lightning
-turn on ANY three candles
-wait for lightning
Seriously, you'll miss nothing by skipping it. I went through it the normal way despite having figured out the candle puzzle myself by trial and error and it was not worth it. You can expect some awesome level 4 loot in the chests you will miss... :X All you get by solving the other tedious puzzles, are hints that point towards the solution of the candle riddle (and that very vaguely)

Invulnerability allows you to walk on hot magma letting you bypass most of those awful sentinel puzzles. Too bad it has a 10 minute cooldown...

Morokh

Ugh, just realized I've been leveling up all wrong wasting points .....

One more thing that could have used a clear explanation at the start ...

if you want to skip the pretty pointless puzzles. just go to the library and
-light all candles except the middle one
-wait for a lightning.
-light only the middle one.
-wait for a lightning
-turn on ANY three candles
-wait for lightning
Seriously, you'll miss nothing by skipping it. I went through it the normal way despite having figured out the candle puzzle myself by trial and error and it was not worth it. You can expect some awesome level 4 loot in the chests you will miss... :X All you get by solving the other tedious puzzles, are hints that point towards the solution of the candle riddle (and that very vaguely)

Thanks.

Levyne

Banned
Some of the questing around Hunter's Edge is pretty intricate like in Cyseal. I can't figure out how to progress some quests so I'm just going into the Phantom Forest.

TheContact

Regarding the quests in Hunters Edge
should the first thing I do be to go rescue the prisoner being tortured? He had me lead him out of a secret passage but the enemies there are 2 levels above me. Am I under leveled or am I doing this too early? Also if I do this does the whole town hate me and can I still figure out the crime of who stole the blood stones? I tried to do that first but ran into sentinels that proceeded to destroy me easily

Dario ff

Banned
Also, I'd add the whole networking implementation to your list, in particular having someone fight a turn-based battle while the other player is doing something entirely different (or fighting a different battle, and then being able to merge those if they meet).
Haven't actually tried co-op yet, but I saw all of this behavior while experimenting with split parties as well and was surprised nothing broke.

This game is already great but it would be so much better with a day/night cycle
Yeah, especially consider the Journal has Day 1, Day 2, etc. I have no idea when the day changed.
I couldn't even find a clock either in the interface, I'm not sure what kind of timer the journal is based on. If they want to expand on a sequel with Day/Night/Weather/NPC schedules, it would be amazing for quest possibilities and even combat. Hopefully it sold well enough to allow them to be as ambitious as possible on the next entry.

Eternia

Regarding the quests in Hunters Edge
should the first thing I do be to go rescue the prisoner being tortured? He had me lead him out of a secret passage but the enemies there are 2 levels above me. Am I under leveled or am I doing this too early? Also if I do this does the whole town hate me and can I still figure out the crime of who stole the blood stones? I tried to do that first but ran into sentinels that proceeded to destroy me easily
It's only that one fight trying to rescue those prisoners. I was surprised too when I saw them, ended up fighting them after gaining a level but probably didn't make that much of a difference. Doing this quest won't hurt your standing between either side
. For the other quest, if you continue on
into the Wizard's house, you'll get an item that will help you without getting into a fight

Venfayth

What determines:

How many action points a character starts a fight with? One of my dudes starts with 8 each turn and I'd really like it to be 9 so that she can always haste and dark empowerment on the same turn.

How many action points a character gets each turn?

epmode

What determines:

How many action points a character starts a fight with? One of my dudes starts with 8 each turn and I'd really like it to be 9 so that she can always haste and dark empowerment on the same turn.

How many action points a character gets each turn?

Put your mouse cursor over the action points section of your character stats screen. It will explain the numbers in detail. You don't have to be in combat.

Is there something special you need to due during the (late, late game)
trife/lelandra
fight?
I can only go so many turns without the void sucking up everything and having the game go command line...

Moff

Is there something special you need to due during the (late, late game)
trife/lelandra
fight?
I can only go so many turns without the void sucking up everything and having the game go command line...

I think thats what happens when astarte dies, try to heal her

Levyne

Banned
I'm stuck on the stolen Bloodstones.
I know that Garrick was guarding them, and some orc killed him and threw him into the grate outside the Knight's Tomb, I went in there and opened the casket and saw a star stone animation but now I'm unsure what to do.

Edit: Figured it out. I needed to loot the
corpse in the Tomb for the horn.

I'm stuck on the stolen Bloodstones.
I know that Garrick was guarding them, and some orc killed him and threw him into the grate outside the Knight's Tomb, I went in there and opened the casket and saw a star stone animation but now I'm unsure what to do.

Go a few steps away from the tomb. There's a body you can investigate. It's easy to miss, but it's there and will trigger the next step in the quest.

Is adding points to abilities tied to your level? For example, I put points in the hydrowhatever and the next time I leveled up it doesn't give the option to add my new point to it

Aeana

Is adding points to abilities tied to your level? For example, I put points in the hydrowhatever and the next time I leveled up it doesn't give the option to add my new point to it

Each new level costs n points. You need 2 points to raise to level 2, 3 to raise to level 3, etc.

Top Bottom