• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Noaloha

Is adding points to abilities tied to your level? For example, I put points in the hydrowhatever and the next time I leveled up it doesn't give the option to add my new point to it

Further to Aeana's answer, know that you'll soon earn more than 1 point on level up. Levels 6 to 10 get you two points each time, Levels 11 onward grant you three.

Saprol

If I hire a henchman and then ditch them, do I have to pay another fee?

Also, I really want some hotkeys to switch between skill bars because I hate clicking those dinky arrows to the point where I just want to ignore the other spells I have.

epmode

Also, I really want some hotkeys to switch between skill bars because I hate clicking those dinky arrows to the point where I just want to ignore the other spells I have.

This needs to happen. I'm amazed that they haven't already put a hotkey in, honestly.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Does Lone Wolf get rid of your starting companion, or just any future companions you come across?

Noaloha

Are there any good mods out yet?

http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=516106#Post516106 ??

(no)

Does Lone Wolf get rid of your starting companion, or just any future companions you come across?

The two starting characters (to clarify: named Roderick and Scarlett by default, customisable prior to starting) are both 'main' characters. As you progress in the game, there are a few secondary named characters and dozens of nameless characters who you can recruit. You can recruit up to two, maximum, bringing the possible party size to four in total. If a main character has the Lone Wolf talent, you can only recruit one extra character in the game, for a maximum party size of three. If Roderick and Scarlett both have Lone Wolf, you can't recruit any extra characters.

I found some wild dogs in the first map, did that lead to a quest or anything? I fought a bunch of dogs and it just ends, don't think there's any mention in my journal either.

rybrad

Just finished after 70 hours, co-op the whole way. The few minor flaws and annoyances weren't enough to distract me from what was overall an excellent experience. I can't wait to see what Larian does next.

epmode

I found some wild dogs in the first map, did that lead to a quest or anything? I fought a bunch of dogs and it just ends, don't think there's any mention in my journal either.

Did you talk to them with Pet Pal?
If it's what I'm thinking of, they're in the process of turning into zombies. A nearby journal hints at it. I believe they're supposed to turn when you look at the journal but it didn't happen for me.

hemtae

Did you talk to them with Pet Pal?
If it's what I'm thinking of, they're in the process of turning into zombies. A nearby journal hints at it. I believe they're supposed to turn when you look at the journal but it didn't happen for me.

I don't think its that one.
I think its the one where they lead you to a fight with some wolves.

epmode

I don't think its that one.
I think its the one where they lead you to a fight with some wolves.

Yeah, I think that happens if you approach him without Pet Pal. That dog tore out the wolf leader's throat for me. I wanted to recruit him!

molnizzle

Why do the shadows around my character turn everything transparent?

Is there any fix for that? Incredible jarring and amateurish.

epmode

Are you talking about the effect that lets you see through otherwise opaque objects that would obscure your view unless you rotate the camera beyond the default rotation limit or are you talking about a graphics bug?

I wish the inventory system was better, as well as buying class skill books.

Otherwise this game does that "alright, time to quit", shut down the PC, wait a few minutes then "...I want to play more Divinity", turn back on the PC and play, thing.

molnizzle

Are you talking about the effect that lets you see through otherwise opaque objects that would obscure your view unless you rotate the camera beyond the default rotation limit or are you talking about a graphics bug?

This definitely isn't intentional. I mean, I hope it's not intentional. You know how there's a "circle of light" around your characters wherever you go? That thing turns geometry transparent whenever I move around. Like rocks on the ground will turn transparent when they're not even obstructing my view. It's really bugging me.

Okay I'm really trying to like this game but it gets hard sometimes in combat situations.

I've been playing for around 6 hours but this elemental damage aspect of the combat is still annoying me. I moved my character, first noticing that there was a cloud of poison after I clicked and I get massive damage, killing him.

It seems so... random at some times. I feel like playing melee is playing this game in hard mode because of all these enviromental damage types and whatnot.

Am I just bad at this game ?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It seems so... random at some times. I feel like playing melee is playing this game in hard mode because of all these enviromental damage types and whatnot.

It can definitely feels like melee are useless in a lot of moments of fights, but I wouldn't recommend going without them. As long as you can get in close to enemies (or bring the enemies in close with teleport), two-handed melee can tear them.

Just finished... Outside of the unfortunate final boss the game was one hell of an experience. Easily my GOTY so far and one of the best combat systems I've ever seen in a game.

molnizzle

Are you talking about the effect at the start of this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6wrTQhu2KY

It's intentional. The idea is clearly to keep the selected character in view at all times. ..unless you pan offscreen.

That's... fucking terrible. Like, so ridiculous I don't even want to play the game now.

I can understand it for things that are obstructing your view of the characters... but it turns just about every object inside the halo transparent, even shit like rocks on the ground that aren't blocking anything.

I can't believe that someone actually thought this was a good idea.

Melee characters are valuable as both damage dealers and meat shields for the mages/archers behind them. With the opportunist trait, they'll take a free attack for every enemy that tries to move past them, which means they can (sometimes fatally) attack an enemy trying to rush the weaker members of your party, or discourage such actions entirely. Because of this, they are invaluable additions to a party.

Taking the brunt of environmental attacks means bodybuilding is a very useful ability for them to have, though willpower can prevent their frontline positioning from being charmed away. It also means that, in some cases (like with non-chest armour) the environmental resistance of it is probably more valuable than an extra bit of physical armour.

Summoned units can sometimes fill the same role, but they simply aren't as reliable (or powerful) as a properly-equipped melee party member.

That's... fucking terrible. Like, so ridiculous I don't even want to play the game now.

I can understand it for things that are obstructing your view of the characters... but it turns just about every object inside the halo transparent, even shit like rocks on the ground that aren't blocking anything.

"Here lies molvetica. They aren't so much lies as they are massive exaggerations." - Divinity Narrator (probably even in the game, I bet.)

Grave puns, indeed.

Chaos17

Okay I'm really trying to like this game but it gets hard sometimes in combat situations.

I've been playing for around 6 hours but this elemental damage aspect of the combat is still annoying me. I moved my character, first noticing that there was a cloud of poison after I clicked and I get massive damage, killing him.

Avoid using fire (or have the burn effect) in poison, it will make an explosion.

JambiBum

If you are surrounded by poison (for example) and then move out of it you will reapply the initial damage hit when you try to move out because you are applying another instance. If you simply stay in the same spot then you will still take the tick damage but not the initial application damage again. This is why doing something like the charge through a burning area will kill you almost every time. Each time you cross a spot with an element it applies damage.

I think it's better looking than the half transparent wall crap most isometric games try to do.

Alastor3

talk about quitting for the wrong reason.

is there a way to clear the fog when rain goes on the fire or when oil burn into fire ? My 2 lone wolf mage/ranger can't do shit in a hallway full of smoke

is there a way to clear the fog when rain goes on the fire or when oil burn into fire ? My 2 lone wolf mage/ranger can't do shit in a hallway full of smoke

I believe the Tornado skill under Aerothurge can clean up everything. I think it's level 10 so you might be out of luck for a while.

http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=516106#Post516106 ??

(no)

The two starting characters (to clarify: named Roderick and Scarlett by default, customisable prior to starting) are both 'main' characters. As you progress in the game, there are a few secondary named characters and dozens of nameless characters who you can recruit. You can recruit up to two, maximum, bringing the possible party size to four in total. If a main character has the Lone Wolf talent, you can only recruit one extra character in the game, for a maximum party size of three. If Roderick and Scarlett both have Lone Wolf, you can't recruit any extra characters.

Ugh. This is disappointing. The fact that you control the personality of two characters is probably what bugs me the most about the game (having only barely touched it though). I like having companions, but not controlling the personalities of more than one character. I don't play rpg's for the roleplaying aspect. Therefore, when controlling two personalities, they just mirror each other, and it's lame as hell. I've tried branching out a little with one character, but it just feels forced and pulls me out of the experience. I think I should just wait to play the game for someone to mod in the possibility to start with a single character.

How does it work in multiplayer? Do both players start with two characters each, or only one each?

Mentallyerect

Neo Member
I don't know what I've gotten myself into lol. This is my first CRPG of this type and I'm already over 30 hours and still in the first area of the game lol. I think I might be playing this a lot longer than I anticipated lol.

Regardless, amazing game and it has me really looking forward to (even more so than before) Pillars of Eternity.

Regardless, amazing game and it has me really looking forward to (even more so than before) Pillars of Eternity.

Honestly, I think playing Divinity first (with its gorgeous, fully 3D environments) is going to make Pillars of Eternity feel like a big downgrade. I'm going to miss the simple luxury of being to rotate the camera.

That said, I'm sure they'll put together a more interesting story.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, I think playing Divinity first (with its gorgeous, fully 3D environments) is going to make Pillars of Eternity feel like a big downgrade. I'm going to miss the simple luxury of being to rotate the camera.

Can't say I agree when it comes to the camera. With this game in particular, it honestly feels like a chore having to manipulate the thing more often than not. Targeting can be less than ideal in this game.

Alastor3

Ugh. This is disappointing. The fact that you control the personality of two characters is probably what bugs me the most about the game (having only barely touched it though). I like having companions, but not controlling the personalities of more than one character. I don't play rpg's for the roleplaying aspect. Therefore, when controlling two personalities, they just mirror each other, and it's lame as hell. I've tried branching out a little with one character, but it just feels forced and pulls me out of the experience. I think I should just wait to play the game for someone to mod in the possibility to start with a single character.

How does it work in multiplayer? Do both players start with two characters each, or only one each?

you can change the personality of the second character when you are creating a new game.

In multiplayer each person start with only one character and you can recruit a companion later (or going lone wolf)

Can't say I agree when it comes to the camera. With this game in particular, it honestly feels like a chore having to manipulate the thing more often than not. Targeting can be less than ideal in this game.

When targeting was an issue I just flipped the camera and used tactical view. It's very easy to line everything up from that perspective.

Alastor3

Why ? PoE will have beautiful 2D background ( or pre-render i don't remember).

I don't want to compare the two together im sure it's gonna be quite different

Mentallyerect

Neo Member

Well, I don't want to compare the two but I do prefer the look of PoE better but that's just my personal opinion. Divinity is gorgeous but the only turn off for me is the character models when up close. They aren't bad per say but I just don't like the stylistic choice so much.

I also think PoE is looking to do a much more mature storyline and from the looks of it, a much more developed world with a history which will be a nice change of pace from whats in Divinity.

One thing I will miss though is the environmental interaction. I'm having too much fun manipulating the battle field and causing havoc lol.

Dizzy-4U

GPU at 99% all the time.

I remember Ego Draconis eating up all the GPU for no apparent reason too. Optimise your damn engine Larian, please :/

Durante

I don't think rotating the camera is that important. The only thing i'm concerned about is that the world will feel incredibly static in PoE in comparison to Divinity. But it will have other strengths.

GPU at 99% all the time.

I remember Ego Draconis eating up all the GPU for no apparent reason too. Optimise your damn engine Larian, please :/
You don't know what optimization means.

Your GPU is fully utilized as it should be, because the game by default does not limit its frame rate. If you prefer your hardware not to be utilized fully for some reason then enable V-sync and/or a frame cap, both of which the game easily allows for in its settings.

Dizzy-4U

You don't know what optimization means.

Your GPU is fully utilized as it should be, because the game by default does not limit its frame rate. If you prefer your hardware not to be utilized fully for some reason then enable V-sync and/or a frame cap, both of which the game easily allows for in its settings.
V-sync, triple buffer, frame cap, all enabled.

I disabled AO, shadows and AA and it didn't change a thing.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I just can't get into this game, and I was so sure I was going to like it that I went and put down the $70 for the collector's edition. It's paced so slowly and the difficulty seems to spike at times. Maybe I'll come back to it when someone makes a walkthrough.

-MD-

I keep seeing people comment on the game being difficult, I'm honestly really glad to hear that. Just trying to finish up a couple games before I can join the rest of you.

Edit: typo

Durante

I keep seeing people comment on the game being difficulty, I'm honestly really glad to hear that. Just trying to finish up a couple games before I can join the rest of you.
We're playing on normal, but so far (24 hours in) I don't think it's particularly difficult. We even went into the wrong direction first and still managed to come out ahead.

The encounters are hard, and the AI is generally good, but you have so many tools at your disposal for dealing with battles which greatly equalizes things.

I'm loving this game but I keep encountering loads of bugs making me unable to progress in some way.

I mean, the game auto saves a lot and I save a lot manually, but its really annoying to have to redo things constantly.

Also not being able to repair gear is infuriating. I think I'm going to put this game on hold till a few more patches come out.

Yeah, the final boss is the worst combination of hard to hit, way too much health, and, at the same time, way too easy to avoid. You're left with a boss fight that puts you at basically no risk of defeat while taking far, far too long to beat.

But at the end of 80+ hours of good times I can forgive Larian.

Top Bottom