• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Dizzy-4U

Alright, found the gpu eater culprit, it's the "Light Shadows" option. Disabled that one and it went from 99 to 70.

I wish there was a sli profile in the future, I don't like playing games with options disabled.

Alright, found the gpu eater culprit, it's the "Light Shadows" option. Disabled that one and it went from 99 to 70.

I wish there was a sli profile in the future, I don't like playing games with options disabled.

Sli works well for me. Created a Divinity OS profile in inspector and used AFR2 mode. Get petty even usage on my 670's.

Yeah, the final boss is the worst combination of hard to hit, way too much health, and, at the same time, way too easy to avoid. You're left with a boss fight that puts you at basically no risk of defeat while taking far, far too long to beat.

But at the end of 80+ hours of good times I can forgive Larian.

Five summons each round that you can defeat in three hits does not equal an interesting boss encounter.

you can change the personality of the second character when you are creating a new game.

In multiplayer each person start with only one character and you can recruit a companion later (or going lone wolf)

You misunderstand me. I do not mean the customization of the character, I mean the actual choices and decisions, which actually make up the personality of the characters, which are governed by me. I only want to govern one character in such a manner. But thanks for the answer about multiplayer. I guess I can just wait for friends to get home from vacation.

Durante

You misunderstand me. I do not mean the customization of the character, I mean the actual choices and decisions, which actually make up the personality of the characters, which are governed by me. I only want to govern one character in such a manner.
I think you misunderstand Alastor3's answer. You can set a AI personality for one of the main characters which determines their decisions in dialogue. Currently, only "loyal" and "random" personalities are in the game, but a lot more should be added next week.

I think you misunderstand Alastor3's answer. You can set a AI personality for one of the main characters which determines their decisions in dialogue. Currently, only "loyal" and "random" personalities are in the game, but a lot more should be added next week.

Ohhh. Nice, thanks a lot.

We're playing on normal, but so far (24 hours in) I don't think it's particularly difficult. We even went into the wrong direction first and still managed to come out ahead.

The encounters are hard, and the AI is generally good, but you have so many tools at your disposal for dealing with battles which greatly equalizes things.

From my experience so far the majority of enemies are ranged and there are a lot of them in any given encounter. My bow using ranged attacker doesn't really pull her weight until my melee guy gets in and actually kills things.

patapuf

From my experience so far the majority of enemies are ranged and there are a lot of them in any given encounter. My bow using ranged attacker doesn't really pull her weight until my melee guy gets in and actually kills things.

The ramming skill is pretty good to close gaps. Teleport helps as well. It's also vlauable to place your melee fighters in the path the enemies will take. Just wait a turn and let em come to you. You can hit them with double AP

Zakalwe

Banned
Okay I'm really trying to like this game but it gets hard sometimes in combat situations.

I've been playing for around 6 hours but this elemental damage aspect of the combat is still annoying me. I moved my character, first noticing that there was a cloud of poison after I clicked and I get massive damage, killing him.

It seems so... random at some times. I feel like playing melee is playing this game in hard mode because of all these enviromental damage types and whatnot.

Am I just bad at this game ?

You only noticed the poison cloud after you clicked move? Yes, you need to pay attention more.

I have two Melee characters and they're fine. The game starts harder simply because there's a lot to learn and you have limited utility to deal with the larger encounters.

Make use of scrolls and arrows if you can. Abuse the elemental system as much as the enemy AI does. Incapacitate troublesome enemies, set up cc to try to incapacitate large groups (cloud + electric, puddle + electric, poison + fire, rain + ice to freeze puddles, etc...), and pay attention to where you're sending your Melee.

It will get easier as you learn more skills and have more options to deal with the enemy. If you haven't yet, go to Cyseal and buy skill books and give yourself as many options as you can.

seriously poison can go to hell and die between it and zombie boars being healed off it
Blow it up with fire. It hurts them.

Wash it away with rain.

Can't say I agree when it comes to the camera. With this game in particular, it honestly feels like a chore having to manipulate the thing more often than not. Targeting can be less than ideal in this game.

If you're having trouble direct clicking:

Tactical camera moves to too down view and highlights all targets and friendlies.

You can also click on your party portraits to target.

Or click on the thumbnails at the top of the he screen.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Sooo... Did I stumble upon a bug, or is it because none of my characters have enough strength?
I went West from Cyseal, on my way to the Lighthouse, when I
stumbled upon the entrance to a hidden room, tucked away onder a carpet. There's a crypt in there, and a rat warns me not to touch it or i'll have to face "the deadliest ghost alive".
So, ofcourse, I tried to open it. When I click on the crypt I hear the sound of it opening, but it doesn't. The crypt's lid doesn't move an inch.
I also encountered some instances where I do get exp, but the pop-up above my party's head's doesn't appear, and some times the combat log get's stuck and I have to scroll down manually.
And the book for the
Philosopher's
Ghost Quest is blank. Weird things.

Don't get me wrong, i'm really enjoying the game, and it still feels really polished. But small thing's like that are a bit annoying.
Now if you'll excuse me, i'm off to get some tomatoes for my pizza.

Sentenza

Sooo... Did I stumble upon a bug, or is it because none of my characters have enough strength?
stumbled upon the entrance to a hidden room, tucked away onder a carpet. There's a crypt in there, and a rat warns me not to touch it or i'll have to face "the deadliest ghost alive".
So, ofcourse, I tried to open it. When I click on the crypt I hear the sound of it opening, but it doesn't. The crypt's lid doesn't move an inch.
I could dance around the issue with vague hints, but let's be blunt here:
you are not supposed to just "click" on the sarcophagus, but to drag the cover away.

Moff

I finished it with 55 hours (+10 early access), all quests done and level 22. level 23 might be possible somehow if I'd find more to kill.

I gotta say this is a clear GOTY candidate, larian really impressed me and they have never done that before. its clearly their best game.
2 things are particularly good about Original Sin.
a) world interaction, its incredible how much stuff can be manipilated, combined, crafted. and everything feels organic and if you think it makes sense, chances are pretty high it will. heck there is even a whole stealth system in place to sneak to forbidden areas or rob people, simply amazing.
oh and the magic system is really stellar. I just hate it when you can just pick spells in a skill tree, but here you have scrolls and books, and you can even create scrolls and turn them into books with the phenomenal crafting system. rarely are magic systems so much fun and make so much sense at the same time. really great.

b) combat. hands down the best round based combat I ever played, synergies, combinations are off the chart, including again the world interaction. and very important for me: its a completely sensible action point system without any grids that destroy your immersion. larian really deserve recognition for this combat system and I hope it will be copied a lot.

that said, the game is not flawless, and I am not sure yet if I can put it up to my other timeless rpg classics.

first of all writing and story are really not impressive at all, its not bad, but very mediocre. It started to bore me towards the end of the game. and you definitely notice that by far the most effort went into the very first area. there are much less possibilites for quest solving or world interaction freedom in general in the latter 2 zones of the game. the feel much more streamlined, simpler and linear than wonderful first area. which is of course because cyceal is by far the biggest town with the most npc interaction in the game.

then there is the random loot I have already talked about a lot. it takes away all sense of reward for quests, exploration, killing bosses, progressing in the epic storyline or completing other demanding tasks. I just stopped caring about loot pretty early on in the game because its mostly very bad no matter what for.

the charisma system is bad, period. the rock paper scissor system is good for playing coop, I get that, but its a terrible idea to use that for every charisma check with npcs in the game. thats just silly and dumb. it should simply be a simple intimidation/charisma/charm check without any random chance in it. it makes much more sense and doesn't allow quickload abuse.

I loved the combat, as mentioned above, but I miss decent thread mechanics. without threat, for me at least, there is not much tactical depth to a fight and it makes a 1h warrior with shield useless, which seems to be a welcomed choice by the game but doesnt make sense at all.

not really a flaw, but my wishes for the (I hope inevitable) sequel.
- better character creation with matching character portraits.
- day and night cycle
- npcs with actual schedules
- bigger and more of everything, throughout the whole game and not just the first zone

but again, amazing game, I will buy the sequel blindly and support another kickstarter if they make one for it.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
None of my character's are strong enough, gotcha. :p

It's a first, but I love the crafting in this game. So many cool combinations. I would have liked a right-click-use with option instead of all that dragging around, though.

danthefan

Can't beat
Braccus Rex
:(

Getting frustrated now. I can
kill his three minion dudes just about but at some point he uses his nuke attack thingy and just destroys my party, anyone who survives ends up standing in fire with basically no HP left.
Would go level up but I can't find anything else to fight/kill on the first map.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Can't beat
Braccus Rex
:(

Getting frustrated now. I can
kill his three minion dudes just about but at some point he uses his nuke attack thingy and just destroys my party, anyone who survives ends up standing in fire with basically no HP left.
Would go level up but I can't find anything else to fight/kill on the first map.

Focus on the Flame Elemental first. He can go down pretty easily if you use water spells/water arrows. After you kill him, keep in mind that his corpse will explode on impact so you can use Jahan's teleport to drop another minion on it and insta kill it. After that have someone tank Braccus and hit him with stuns, knockdowns, freezes and focus on the last minion. Once all 3 minions are down Braccus should be pretty easy to deal with. You should have a lot of potions on each party member though

Another tactic that most people use, is to stay behind the door of the previous room and pull each enemy one by one.

Dec

Playing on hard because I saw someone mention that the game gets easier towards the end if you are on normal?

Only really had trouble so far with one or two encounters, one required a lot of planning and trying like 5 times. Was a fiery area and ended up line of sighting around a rock to precast rain and a fire shield to not waste a turn or two of the mage doing that stuff afterwards. Positioning is hugely important and we approached from a lot of different angles.

What ended up working mostly, and seems to work pretty well in most fights with a large amount of enemies is to sit out of line of sight of range enemies so they need to move to you while you sit there banking points for when you can charge with your warriors. Obviously reliant on where the fight takes place. The difficulty is overall pretty fun, only complaint is how often my warriors seem to miss.

danthefan

Focus on the Flame Elemental first. He can go down pretty easily if you use water spells/water arrows. After you kill him, keep in mind that his corpse will explode on impact so you can use Jahan's teleport to drop another minion on it and insta kill it. After that have someone tank Braccus and hit him with stuns, knockdowns, freezes and focus on the last minion. Once all 3 minions are down Braccus should be pretty easy to deal with. You should have a lot of potions on each party member though

Another tactic that most people use, is to stay behind the door of the previous room and pull each enemy one by one.

I can kill all the minions, as I said he just uses his nuke attack and my party ends up completely decimated. Even with fire resist potions.

Have a real issue with this now because I can't grind so I'm basically stuck. Obviously it's because I'm not especially good at the game but I can't go level up which would obviously help.

Edit - finally killed him, thanks for your tips. CCing him was the key as you said. Used just about every consumable and scroll I had but so be it.

Another quest broke on me. I
found the wishing well in Cyseal after I teleported him back from Hiberheim, but when I talked to him nothing happens
. FUCK THIS, this is like the 5th quest to break for me. I love this game but this is fucking irritating. And this time reloading doesn't work. FUCK.

Chaos17

found the wishing well in Cyseal after I teleported him back from Hiberheim, but when I talked to him nothing happens
. FUCK THIS, this is like the 5th quest to break for me. I love this game but this is fucking irritating. And this time reloading doesn't work. FUCK.

I don't understand.
You talked to the brother from the snow kigdom ?
If it's the casen it's not him you need to talk to but the quest giver.

Rip

talkin to the wrong bro.

My quest giver was his brother in Cyseal map :eek:

And where is he? :O I
was given the quest by William himself in Hiberheim.

The
well is where you fought the fire elemental boss with the totem in Cyseal

Yes, that is where I am now, and he is the one with the same name with the guy in
Hiberheim
. And there's only one well there. What the hell is going on with my game ;_;

Terra_Ex

Is Brandon in Silverglen bugged?
I gave him some of the tenebrium (dropped most of it on the floor so I could keep it and use it later) and he teaches my characters the skill to handle it without being infected with rot. However, he also says that he has a letter proving the mine owner's guilt and that he's going to give it to me, problem is he never actually gives me the letter and instead runs off after the conversation, leaving me unable to finish Nadia's quest. I haven't been to the Troll King's cave and just got the tenebrium from the mine with the death knights in it, if that matters.

Gothos

The dialogs with main evil characters are so booooooooring, jesus. It's night and day compared to conversations with NPCs and animals. Weird.

Rip

Is Brandon in Silverglen bugged?
I gave him some of the tenebrium (dropped most of it on the floor so I could keep it and use it later) and he teaches my characters the skill to handle it without being infected with rot. However, he also says that he has a letter proving the mine owner's guilt and that he's going to give it to me, problem is he never actually gives me the letter and instead runs off after the conversation, leaving me unable to finish Nadia's quest. I haven't been to the Troll King's cave and just got the tenebrium from the mine with the death knights in it, if that matters.

You sure it isnt in your bag? its just a note.
Talk to the mine owner and see if you have new dialog options.

JambiBum

I also encountered some instances where I do get exp, but the pop-up above my party's head's doesn't appear, and some times the combat log get's stuck and I have to scroll down manually.
And the book for the
Philosopher's
Ghost Quest is blank. Weird things.

Don't get me wrong, i'm really enjoying the game, and it still feels really polished. But small thing's like that are a bit annoying.
Now if you'll excuse me, i'm off to get some tomatoes for my pizza.

No and no. The Book is purposely
left blank
because the ghost never actually wrote anything. As far as the tomb goes you have to drag the lid like you would to move an object. Don't try to move the lid completely off though, just move it a little bit like you were cracking the tomb open.

Chaos17

And where is he? :O I
was given the quest by William himself in Hiberheim.

Yes, that is where I am now, and he is the one with the same name with the guy in
Hiberheim
. And there's only one well there. What the hell is going on with my game ;_;

I'm sorry for you, there is a chance that your quest is broken if that well doesn't close your quest :(
Because I took my quest from him and came back to him after teleporting his bro and he did rewarded me.

Terra_Ex

You sure it isnt in your bag? its just a note.
Talk to the mine owner and see if you have new dialog options.

I couldn't find it and I didn't see a new option for my characters when talking to him but I reloaded my save, did the convo again and I can see it in my inventory now so crisis averted. Thanks.

Maybe talk to Walter then? I was given the quest in Cyseal by Walter.

I'm sorry for you, there is a chance that your quest is broken if that well doesn't close your quest :(
Because I took my quest from him and came back to him after teleporting his bro and he did rewarded me.

Could you guys tell me where to find
Walter
then? I cannot seem to find him. Is he in the same area near the
Fire Elemental boss
? If then I am fucked as there is only William there and I can't do shit with him.

Walter
Fire Elemental boss
? If then I am fucked as there is only William there and I can't do shit with him.

He's in Cyseal just outside the southeastern corner of the fire area, near the blocked off entrance to the church.

danthefan

Walter
Fire Elemental boss

Near the front steps of the old church (which are blocked by rubble).

JambiBum

So in the different crafting guides I've noticed that supposedly scale scraps + leather armor = scale armor, yet every time I try to combine them I get nothing. Not even a crafting/blacksmithing is not high enough message. Any ideas? Also, can you make metal scraps like you can leather?

Dario ff

Banned
If this were the case, just taking it out until NG+ is not difficult. Also, I've done BG2 solo runs before and I've largely found that using summons can solve most problems (with some caveats). Playing as a Warrior is super ballsy and fun though.

I'm not talking about removing or making the chance smaller on the player, rather that thresholds seem like a better solution to the issue. Warm and Chilled statuses are central to the issue, seeming like there is an awareness of the problem but not ultimately implementing the easy solution.
Sorry, I hadn't seen this reply yesterday.

The first one I'm not really sure, I appreciate it when games give me the New Game+ options without having to actually go through a game first in case I don't have my savefile. I think a nicer solution would be to provide a detailed warning on the description, since Lone Wolf is just thrown in there like a regular talent, when it seems to have much harsher effects than what's implied since the game is designed around a 4-character party. It's certainly a bit weird since one might think it's like Fallout where you can go solo just fine in a first playthrough.

I'll give you the second point since I don't think I fully understood the threshold solution you proposed. Would you mind going a bit more in detail about that? I think it was a bit interesting that certain characters like Fire Elementals and such can only be chilled at first instead of outright frozen, but it doesn't seem like there's any implementation of something like that for player characters (only immunity to frozen on certain spells/items), which could be helpful in preventing some unfair status effects.

epmode

Does anyone know how to craft a plain old arrowhead? The in-game skill book suggests using a knife on a tooth but that gives me a stunning arrowhead. Is this a bug or am I just missing a recipe?

duckroll

Does anyone know how to craft a plain old arrowhead? The in-game skill book suggests using a knife on a tooth but that gives me a stunning arrowhead. Is this a bug or am I just missing a recipe?

There's no such thing as a plain arrowhead. Only unique arrows are limited ammo. You have unlimited "normal" arrows in the game. All arrowheads are special types, and you combine them with a shaft to make a special arrow.

hemtae

There's no such thing as a plain arrowhead. Only unique arrows are limited ammo. You have unlimited "normal" arrows in the game. All arrowheads are special types, and you combine them with a shaft to make a special arrow.

You can find regular arrowheads in the game though. I've been keeping them in case I ever got any special arrow shafts which I suppose is never going to happen.

I don't think you can create plain arrowheads on your own, only find them.

You can find regular arrowheads in the game though. I've been keeping them in case I ever got any special arrow shafts which I suppose is never going to happen.

You can combine plain arrowheads with different things to make special arrowheads.

This is a rather good list of crafting recipes (contains crafting spoilers obviously).

Morokh

Arrow shafts no, but take your regular arrowhead combine it with a potion and you got a special arrow.

Top Bottom