• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Noaloha

So about stealing loot from house. Do i get a penalty for stealing or breaking open door to do it?

Penalty only if you get caught doing it. Items aren't tagged 'stolen' or anything. If you do get caught, the penalty ranges from instant fight to the death with the owner/guards, through to the owner/guards giving you two, three friendly warnings before arresting you. Depends on their opinion of you. If you want to try stealing something important but aren't sure you can pull it off, consider trying to boost their opinion beforehand with bribes (or just savescum, obvs).

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
This game is all sorts of amazing. No map markers, quests that are more than just Go Here And Do X Then Report Back and humor aplenty. The fact that my wife and I finally get to play a quality RPG together that isn't hack and slash is all kinds of amazing.

Also, it's a great mood gauge. When she's pissed, her character is suddenly telling me to go eat an rotten egg. When she's in a good mood, it's all "Hey sugar, want to me identify your loot for you?"

It's great! Only complaint is the pixel hunting can be a be tiresome, due to the fact that the ALT highlight doesn't highlight everything in the area. Other than that, this is damn near a perfect game so far.

Popetita

Banned
Not if no one sees you :D

oh really.....buahahahahahahahah Cysea is done for ( I hope since the game kicks my ass to much too lol)

Any tips on a newbie to both the game and probably genre? I'm liking the game but it sort of feels overwhelming like the first time I tried playing Morrowind did.

I also getting killed in combat even by enemies lower in level. Some fights seem to have too many of them and I barely kill one when 2 or 3 more come up on me.

Zakalwe

Banned
oh really.....buahahahahahahahah Cysea is done for ( I hope since the game kicks my ass to much too lol)

Any tips on a newbie to both the game and probably genre? I'm liking the game but it sort of feels overwhelming like the first time I tried playing Morrowind did.

I also getting killed in combat even by enemies lower in level. Some fights seem to have too many of them and I barely kill one when 2 or 3 more come up on me.

Find some companions so you have a party of 4.

Use spells/arrows/skills to incapacitate troublesome targets (stun, knock down, freeze, charm, etc..).

Focus fire on one target at a time.

Get some summons to even the playing field.

Take note of al l the elemental combinations and exploit them: poison + fire = explosion, water + ice = slippery icy surface, etc...

Cirdan

Neo Member
Seems like friendly fire doesn't take it into account even if it has positive effects. Just had to counter charm my charmed other main character and there was some banter about aiming properly and whatnot after that. A bit silly, but eh doesn't really matter.

Last night though I had Madora leave my party after battle because apparently I threw a fireball on her one time too many. She was rocking 120% fire res + fire shield so there shouldn't have been any dmg to her. Was a pretty confusing fight with perma slow on me and spiders hopping all over the place so not quite sure what went down. Reloaded a save anyway.
Fake Edit: Just tested this outside combat too. Leaves party even though all the fire does is heal her. Bah.

Anyway about Frederick
seems like the dude went and died on me somehow and left me with a broken quest? I did some other stuff before finding the imp and making him some pumpkin-apple potion and when he went to see him he was already dead. The imp did note this though and went his way, but the quest about finding Frederick's blood stone still remains which I have also in my inventory. Second Fake Edit: eh looks like bug after some googling

Popetita

Banned
Find some companions so you have a party of 4.

Use spells/arrows/skills to incapacitate troublesome targets (stun, knock down, freeze, charm, etc..).

Focus fire on one target at a time.

Get some summons to even the playing field.

Take note of al l the elemental combinations and exploit them: poison + fire = explosion, water + ice = slippery icy surface, etc...

About companions how do dismissing them works? Or if they die in the battlefield and I just let them there? Are they lost forever, even if I dismiss them?

Also how exactly does running from battle work? Is it individually, can't there be a group escape? It seem a bit confusing or tedious to me, maybe I am not getting it.

Zakalwe

Banned
About companions how do dismissing them works? Or if they die in the battlefield and I just let them there? Are they lost forever, even if I dismiss them?

Also how exactly does running from battle work? Is it individually, can't there be a group escape? It seem a bit confusing or tedious to me, maybe I am not getting it.

No group run, but let's try to get to the point where you're not having to! :p

Speak with them to dismiss them.

If you leave them on the battlefield they'll stay there until you return to resurrect them.

If you dismiss them I think you can ask them to rejoin you, but I've never tried it.

Noaloha

i7kTTSOnMGKDa.png

Think I broke something when I didn't exit The Divinity Engine properly. Oops!

On the off-chance anyone knows firsthand, is there a quick/easy fix? Can't test at teh moment, but I'm hoping I just verify my game files in Steam, or at most reinstall the Level Editor.

Popetita

Banned
No group run, but let's try to get to the point where you're not having to! :p

LOL, I'll try to get on that tonight. I sort of forogt/confused the tutorial dungeon and thought that was the cemetery crip place in Cysea. I'll try to get to level 3 or 4.

Also when they say I can/should go out of town , towards the west, after level 3. Do they mean northwest near the closed item shop or more southwest through the beach? I am still getting clobbered lol

Chaos17

Seems like friendly fire doesn't take it into account even if it has positive effects. Just had to counter charm my charmed other main character and there was some banter about aiming properly and whatnot after that. A bit silly, but eh doesn't really matter.

Last night though I had Madora leave my party after battle because apparently I threw a fireball on her one time too many. She was rocking 120% fire res + fire shield so there shouldn't have been any dmg to her. Was a pretty confusing fight with perma slow on me and spiders hopping all over the place so not quite sure what went down. Reloaded a save anyway.
Fake Edit: Just tested this outside combat too. Leaves party even though all the fire does is heal her. Bah.

Anyway about Frederick
seems like the dude went and died on me somehow and left me with a broken quest? I did some other stuff before finding the imp and making him some pumpkin-apple potion and when he went to see him he was already dead. The imp did note this though and went his way, but the quest about finding Frederick's blood stone still remains which I have also in my inventory. Second Fake Edit: eh looks like bug after some googling

This is not cool, I will have to keep this in mind when I will make a new playthrough.
Thank you for your testemony.

Popetita

Banned
Any tips on early game equipment? I at level 3 in Cysea, should I bother buying anything or changing some of the basic stuff this early on? any tips on that?

FACE

Banned
Anyone knows if you can buy man-at-arms skills in Silverglen? I accidentally(that was before my rampage) killed Aureus and I really want Phoenix Dive and Flurry.

Durante

Now that is a real bug. You should report it.

Anyone has this problem? When I am going around in game the FPS is good, GPU usage is 100% and everything is smooth. But whenever I enter a battle, the FPS drops significantly, and GPU usage goes down to ~40%. When the battle is over the FPS shoots right back up. Really annoying. Any idea?

My guess is my CPU might be bottlenecking my GPU, is there anyway I can measure CPU usage in game?

mmitt

Anyway about Frederick

I have a similar issue, just that the Imp doesn't respond to me making the potion either. Frederick died because he tried to be heroic and help me fight the spider queen, which didn't turn out well for him :)

Ragona

I sadly didnt get to play much last week, due to exams but damn just seeing this game still being #1 in steam charts makes me happy.
I hope they make alot of money with this game and get the credit they deserve, so they keep making games with all their passion and whatever ideas they come up with.
Also happy they keep patching rapidly and adding new stuff + cant wait to see community content in the future.

Moonstone

Agreed! One of the first things I loved about this game was the not really knowing where to go feeling. You go into a mindset where you look at the game and it's world in a different way, a much more interesting way.

I agree that this is a cool feature. Exploring the world is fun. But exploring the skills and spells not so much. There should be information about the spelllist in the game. I don't really know where I have to put my points and the game gives you no method to know that in advance. The spellbooks make it even worse, as vendors have not all of them and there is a little bit of RNG. And you can't see in your spellscreen what is available.

I searched the web and there is just one incomplete spelllist on the wikia page. My problem is, that I'm a MinMaxer. I usually restart all CRPG after I understand the system. I have restartet the 4th time and I'm again at the point that I consider restarting.
Was choosing a Rogue wrong? What does that Flurry spell do, it seems to be really strong. But I need the information what it does, so I can plan my where I put my points. Shall I put more points in the Warrior-skills instead of the Rogue-skills

I know this is a personal problem and in some time there will be a complete description of all spells on the web. But the game is right know a little bit of a let down if you like to plan your chars in advance.

Sothpaw

It's going to be really hard to like Dragon Age 3 after playing this. Might just wait for it to be dirt cheap on Origin with all DLC if I even bother.

Anyway can someone tell me how close to the end I am? As in half way or three quarters or whatever. Just curious because I can't believe how long this game is. So much content.
I have done most of "Act 2". I believe all I have left to do is close a portal that is making hellfire rain on my homestead.

Ferrio

Banned
I agree that this is a cool feature. Exploring the world is fun. But exploring the skills and spells not so much. There should be information about the spelllist in the game. I don't really know where I have to put my points and the game gives you no method to know that in advance. The spellbooks make it even worse, as vendors have not all of them and there is a little bit of RNG. And you can't see in your spellscreen what is available.

I searched the web and there is just one incomplete spelllist on the wikia page. My problem is, that I'm a MinMaxer. I usually restart all CRPG after I understand the system. I have restartet the 4th time and I'm again at the point that I consider restarting.
Was choosing a Rogue wrong? What does that Flurry spell do, it seems to be really strong. But I need the information what it does, so I can plan my where I put my points. Shall I put more points in the Warrior-skills instead of the Rogue-skills

I know this is a personal problem and in some time there will be a complete description of all spells on the web. But the game is right know a little bit of a let down if you like to plan your chars in advance.

I'm finding my rogue/witch to be all sorts of powerful. The single target damage is insane.

Sothpaw

It's going to be really hard to like Dragon Age 3 after playing this. Might just wait for it to be dirt cheap on Origin with all DLC if I even bother.

Anyway can someone tell me how close to the end I am? As in half way or three quarters or whatever. Just curious because I can't believe how long this game is. So much content.
I have done most of "Act 2". I believe all I have left to do is close a portal that is making hellfire rain on my homestead.

Yes but this particular route is definitely more challenging than the normal sequences I can think of!
In particularly it's worth noting that I found his hideout completely by accident while exploring the eastern part of Cyseal. I don't recall any indication from anyone else that he has a house outside of town.
The mortician mentions something about Thelryon paying a bunch of money to rent a hut from him despite all the undead around

Dipper145

I know certain enemies can only be hurt with tenebrium weapons, I think thats what I read, the void creatures, but.. My two characters that have that type of damage on their weapons still get the "invulnerable" thing when they go to hit these void dog things. Maybe I'm just not supposed to do that part yet, we'll see.

Planning on finishing the game today, hopefully.

Ploid 3.0

Oh my goodness. I had a little under 2 gigs to download then felt like playing another game which paused the download I thought (download while playing a game wasn't checked), and exit the game since I wanted to continue downloading but it started all the way over from the beginning. Not just % but 0/6.4 GB, feels so bad man. I had 7 hours to go, now back to 20.

Stupid steam! I'm hoping it's just a UI error and it's just calculating how much longer it has to go if it started from the beginning. Turned off auto update so hopefully it won't happen again.

Ferrio

Banned
I hope the success means Larian will make more of these games.

All their other games, while very interesting and unique...never caught my attention for very long. Hopefully they stick with this genre with a line of games.

Palehorse

I hope we get to hear some sales figures at some point. Seeing them in the top spot for sales for a week now and knowing they got to 160k sales at one point...they're making some good money, and they deserve it.

Larian's plan was to use the funds from Dragon Commander and Divinity OS to catapult to their next RPG, to make it their Magnum Opus of RPGs as it were. But D:OS got way bigger than expected gameplay wise and is closer to the opus they planned for their next game.

I'm not sure what else I could want from an RPG in this vein, D:OS is ticking all the right boxes, but I really hope that Larian gets enough from this game to have the option to experiment and strive for their vision.

Dario ff

Banned
I hope we get to hear some sales figures at some point. Seeing them in the top spot for sales for a week now and knowing they got to 160k sales at one point...they're making some good money, and they deserve it.
From the other page:
Apparently the game has sold 250K from a belgium article:
http://www.demorgen.be/dm/nl/5402/G.../2014/07/16/Is-dit-de-game-van-het-jaar.dhtml

Quick translation of important bits:

- Sold a quarter of a million units.
- Sales curve is still rising because of word of mouth
- Production budget was 3 million euros, a third of which was made up by crowdsourcing
- They broke even
- Industry has noticed the game's success; Swen has had offers to buy Larian
- They don't know yet what they are going to do yet for their next project, first a holiday

nbthedude

Larian's plan was to use the funds from Dragon Commander and Divinity OS to catapult to their next RPG, to make it their Magnum Opus of RPGs as it were. But D:OS got way bigger than expected gameplay wise and is closer to the opus they planned for their next game.

I'm not sure what else I could want from an RPG in this vein, D:OS is ticking all the right boxes, but I really hope that Larian gets enough from this game to have the option to experiment and strive for their vision.

The only things I would want in sequel with larger budget:

-cinematic zoom in conversations like Mass Effect (toggleable for people that want text windows)
-full voice acting
-day/night cycles impacting world and spells (as originally planned in D:OS)
-controller support
-native 4 player coop support

That is it. Keep everything else the same. Combat is perfect. Open works design broken into chapters is perfect. Production values are great. This game is already A material. But I'd love these additions.

Ferrio

Banned

-full voice acting

No..no no no. I think full voice acting is one of the worst things to happen to gaming. It's not like I hate the concept itself. I hate the fact it takes a ton of resources to do, limits what you can do (Need to add a new line? Well gotta get the actors back), and if the acting is bad it really hurts the game. For a small studio they should not go down this route.

It's amazing that there's already offers to buy them; I guess no one expected such a lesser-known dev to all of the sudden make such a hugely talked about, chart-topping game. It may even be a market disrupting product.

Also, I'm disappointed to report that there are still people complaining about Larian's dedication to improving the game.

(Don't you dare patch your games, developers - lest people think your game is buggy.)

-cinematic zoom in conversations like Mass Effect (toggleable for people that want text windows)
-full voice acting
-day/night cycles impacting world and spells (as originally planned in D:OS)
-controller support
-native 4 player coop support

That is it. Keep everything else the same. Combat is perfect. Open works design broken into chapters is perfect. Production values are great. This game is already A material. But I'd love these additions.

Fortunately Mass Effect 4 already exists.

I have no wish list for their next game, I only hope it's as good as Divinity: Original Sin.

nbthedude

Full voice acting limits the writing a lot, or adding content easily post-recording. Full VA for important NPCs/player banter only is a thing I'd agree to.

Nope.

Just do it like BG2. Some of the most important story beats are voiced and random stuff for companions.

Please no. They would have to dumb down the whole interface to make it work with a controller.

Also full voice acting is a bad idea.

I don't understand you guys. VO readings are not that expensive of an addition and you could always just turn on subtitles and have an option to turn it off if you want. Just like in pretty much every other modern game, if you read faster or you don't want it, you press a single button t skip the dialog. That's pretty much how every other modern bigger budget game in existence work.

Ferrio

Banned
I don't understand you guys. VO readings are not that expensive of an addition and you could always just turn on subtitles and have an option to turn it off if you want. Just like in pretty much every other modern game, if you read faster or you don't want it, you press a single button t skip the dialog. That's pretty much how every other modern bigger budget game in existence work.

You know this game is popular because it's NOT that right?

nbthedude

It's amazing that there's already offers to buy them; I guess no one expected such a lesser-known dev to all of the sudden make such a hugely talked about, chart-topping game. It may even be a market disrupting product.

Also, I'm disappointed to report that there are still people complaining about Larian's dedication to improving the game.

(Don't you dare patch your games, developers - lest people think your game is buggy.)

Fortunately Mass Effect 4 already exists.

I have no wish list for their next game, I only hope it's as good as Divinity: Original Sin.

It's not like I asked them to turn it into a cover based shooter. I don't really understand how anyone can think it would be a bad thing to have more cinematic style dialog conversations rather than remaining with stagnant overhead camera views and text windows.

I get that that sort of thing is more expensive than a more modest budget has room for. We were talking about what they might do with a bigger budget.

nbthedude

You know this game is popular because it's NOT that right?

No, clearly people are not flocking to this game because "Finally a game without voice acting and modern presentation!" People clearly like it for combat and for the world Larian build and for their nice production values. Adding VO and/or cinematic dialog would do nothing ot change these elements at all.

Sometimes old school crpg fans really come off like hipsters (i.e. everything old is automatically cool simply because it's old and not mainstream popular).

Sothpaw

That is a pile of bullshit if I ever heard. No, people are not flocking to this game because "Finally a game without voice acting." People clearly like it for combat and for the world they build. Adding VO and/or cinematic dialog would do nothing ot change these elements at all.

Sometimes old school crpg fans really come off like hipsters (i.e. everything old is automatically cool simply because it's old and not mainstream popular).

Fine but controller support would require reworking and dumbing down the interface. So fuck controller support. I am also against adding full voice because I actually like reading in crpgs but controller support is a worse offense to me.

nbthedude

Please no. They would have to dumb down the whole interface to make it work with a controller.

Also full voice acting is a bad idea.

Apparently you never played Xcom with a controller. I have mapped pretty much every function in this game to a mouse with 6 buttons. I don't even use the keyboard at all. The idea that you couldn't make this same interface work with a controller is just untrue. And the idea that games played with a controller automatically require "dumbing down" is a really bad cliche argument that doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

Sothpaw

Apparently you never played Xcom with a controller. I have mapped pretty much every function in this game to a mouse with 6 buttons. I don't even use the keyboard at all. The idea that you couldn't make this same interface work with a controller is dumb. And the idea that games played with a controller automatically require "dumbing down" is so dumb of a sterotype it's not even worth responding to.

Xcom sure has a lot of exploration and inventory management. Oh wait no it doesn't.

Top Bottom