• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

RK9039

Just looked at the patch notes.

- Use, repair, identify and equip items in context menu in picked-up containers and backpacks
- Repair and identify in context menu in containers
- Sort on item type in inventory

OH.MY.GOD.

Gamechanger! Lol.

826109.gif

Finalow

I'm not sure if this helps: http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=498757

That seems to suggest that the game itself is DRM-free, but that even the retail versions use Steam as a installation base (to keep the game updated and patched, etc). If that's the case you should be okay, but don't take my word for it!
I see, thanks.

can anyone confirm about the voices? I wouldn't like to play it with german voices. that fucking UK version decided to go out of stock yesterday. :(

Dec

Im very close to drop this game.

I love the concept of the game, the combat system,etc but is waaaaay to slow. Yesterday I played about 3 hrs and no fighting, just talking to NPCs trying to following quest lines and hearing what the people have to say.

I have no problem with slow games as long they keep me engaged but after 3 hrs of just reading text and clicking everything....... well it gets boring.

Around where you are at there is a lot of that, and I can definitely see why it can be hard to get through for some people, but very soon it clears up and there is a ton of fighting on the other side of it. Like, away from town killing things for multiple hours before you come back at all.

Varna

Im very close to drop this game.

I love the concept of the game, the combat system,etc but is waaaaay to slow. Yesterday I played about 3 hrs and no fighting, just talking to NPCs trying to following quest lines and hearing what the people have to say.

I have no problem with slow games as long they keep me engaged but after 3 hrs of just reading text and clicking everything....... well it gets boring.

Where are you? I'm still at the beginning because I ended up rerolling nearly 10 times. If you are getting sick of the main questline just go out and explore.... lots of stuff to explore outside.

AllenShrz

Where are you? I'm still at the beginning because I ended up rerolling nearly 10 times. If you are getting sick of the main questline just go out and explore.... lots of stuff to explore outside.

First town still... after 6 hrs of total time and no re rolling..........

I do like slow burning games with story (Front Mission 3-5, DAO) but this one takes the cake.

I really like the idea of the game and enjoined the few battles I had on those 6 hrs but the "beginning" is just a big pile of dialog and slow moving characters.

Chaos17

I want this game so bad, but I got too many on my plate.

I advise you to wait, at least until there will be more companions or some upgrade of the co-op if you plan in co-op.
Another reason to wait is that Larian is still balancing the game.
So no need to hurry.

Ploid 3.0

I advise you to wait, at least until there will be more companions or some upgrade of the co-op if you plan in co-op.
Another reason to wait is that Larian is still balancing the game.
So no need to hurry.

I haven't followed this game production and such but is it expected to have a lot of updates and patches? I'm half thinking to make sure there is no subscription fee because it's sounding like there's promise of a lot of support.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't followed this game production and such but is it expected to have a lot of updates and patches? I'm half thinking to make sure there is no subscription fee because it's sounding like there's promise of a lot of support.

Yes. They are working on the balances/hotfixes and are getting the delayed content ready for release. After that the team will take a vacation for a few weeks before they return to work on the unannounced project and any other updates.

Larian isn't EA/Activision. They said that if they decided to make DLC, it would be a full expansion. All the DLC you can purchase presently is the content from the Kickstater bonus levels.

Aaron

Where the hell is the guy who sells the man at arms skills? Ugh, I really hate how skills are handled in this game. A skill tree would have been so much better. I can't even tell what skills are in a talent without looking them up on a wiki. There's nothing interesting about this. It's just tedious. Along with the awkward inventory management.

Zakalwe

Banned
Hey wondering if anyone can help me with a problem I'm having. I bought the game Sunday and played for around 2 hours with a friend getting to the first town before saving. I went to play it the next day and it keeps closing within seconds of getting to the main menu. I've tried verifying the files which said nothing was missing and fully installing the game and reinstalling the game but still nothing.

Lastly I've tried deleting the divinity docs in my documents and getting the files that are meant to be there off a friend but that didn't help either. it always just closes the game after a few seconds of getting to the main menu, no error messages or anything.

I've looked on there forums but I'm struggling to find people with my problem, anyone have any suggestions?

Run the D:OS support tool, compile the report, then send it to Larian's support explaining the issue. They're extremely helpful

(Maybe a link to the support page and the tool would be useful in the OP?)

Where the hell is the guy who sells the man at arms skills? Ugh, I really hate how skills are handled in this game. A skill tree would have been so much better. I can't even tell what skills are in a talent without looking them up on a wiki. There's nothing interesting about this. It's just tedious. Along with the awkward inventory management.

You shouldn't be looking up skills. You should just be exploring and discovering. You're not supposed to plan out your character from the start, but discover new skills and adapt as you grow. That's the beauty of the system, you just need to embrace it.

It suits the game a lot more this way.

Craft backpacks for inventory management.
Rope and Leather Scraps.
. Helps a lot.

Who would sell man at arms skills? What type of character do they suit?

If you really need to know it's the
captain of the legion.

Durante

edit: Oh, the game automatically put the pyramid into one of my other character's inventories when I left the zone. Weird.
The game tells you (when you first acquire them) that the pyramids come back to their owner when you get too far from them :p

I just summoned an ice elemental named Chiktikka Fastpaws. Nice BG2 Aerie reference.
Yeah, there are a lot of elemental names like that.

Aaron

You shouldn't be looking up skills. You should just be exploring and discovering. You're not supposed to plan out your character from the start, but discover new skills and adapt as you grow. That's the beauty of the system, you just need to embrace it.
I shouldn't be spending skill points with no idea what the catagories do. I thought they summons were in witchcraft. Instead, they're in earth magic, even though there's no logic to it. There's no bueaty here to figure out things that don't make any sense.

Who would sell man at arms skills? What type of character do they suit?

If you really need to know it's the
captain of the legion.
Wow, that really makes no sense. Why is a busy man like this acting like a vendor? I found the scoundrel / witch skill seller by pure luck since there's no reason to randomly walk into people's rooms at the inn. There's discovery, and there's hamstringing the player by being needlessly obtuse. I very nearly missed the end of time thing, which provides you with an item that without traveling in this game would be completely tedious.

Overall, the game is great, but it's oblique and awkward in areas that even the original Pool of Radiance wasn't, and that's a little silly.

Lingitiz

I love this game, but some non combat scenarios are way too needlessly frustrating. The whole stealth part in the mines was a save scumming slog, and the pixel hunt for buttons on the walls in the cathedral just felt like a waste of time. Hopefully the next area isn't as heavy with these types of sections.

duckroll

Wow, that really makes no sense. Why is a busy man like this acting like a vendor?

He's not really a vendor though. He's just the guy who is most likely in the entire city to have a collection of such skills which he's willing to sell at a price. He's the captain of the guard, and the Legion are trained in melee combat. It makes sense that anyone in the city who is interested in the expertise of such things would go look for him. It makes a ton of sense and is actually the least obtuse placement of items on a person in the game!

Ferrio

Banned
He's not really a vendor though. He's just the guy who is most likely in the entire city to have a collection of such skills which he's willing to sell at a price. He's the captain of the guard, and the Legion are trained in melee combat. It makes sense that anyone in the city who is interested in the expertise of such things would go look for him. It makes a ton of sense and is actually the least obtuse placement of items on a person in the game!

He's the first person I checked myself when I needed some.

Dizzy-4U

Is there any reward if you destroy the SparkMaster in combat instead of activating the self destruct? More XP, loot?

Edit: Oh, yep. 1.5k XP and rare loot.

Zakalwe

Banned
I shouldn't be spending skill points with no idea what the catagories do. I thought they summons were in witchcraft. Instead, they're in earth magic, even though there's no logic to it. There's no bueaty here to figure out things that don't make any sense.

There are summons for every magic school. Look at them, they're perfectly logical.

Earth : Earth elemental summon
Air: Air elemental summon

There are lots of others, too.

They all make perfect sense.

Wow, that really makes no sense. Why is a busy man like this acting like a vendor? I found the scoundrel / witch skill seller by pure luck since there's no reason to randomly walk into people's rooms at the inn. There's discovery, and there's hamstringing the player by being needlessly obtuse. I very nearly missed the end of time thing, which provides you with an item that without traveling in this game would be completely tedious.

The entire point of the world is that you're supposed to explore, and talk to people, and discover things. This is the way the game is, it isn't obtuse, it isn't difficult, it just requires the player to pay attention and invest themselves in exploring.

The very first quest, the murder investigation, this even teaches you how to go about exploring this way, it actively teaches you to speak to NPCs to uncover information, to think about logical solutions (where would a dead body be? Maybe in a graveyard, or a morgue?).

It's perfectly logical that the leader of the town's fighting force sells fighting skills, just as it's logical the town's healer sells healing skills.

Xanathus

Oh god I just found out that there are only 2 companions in the game and they are a Wizard and 2-hander Knight, which are the exact same classes as my player characters which means I'm going to have to restart the game and pick other classes.

Artanisix

There are summons for every magic school. Look at them, they're perfectly logical.

Earth : Earth elemental summon
Air: Air elemental summon

There are lots of others, too.

They all make perfect sense.

The entire point of the world is that you're supposed to explore, and talk to people, and discover things. This is the way the game is, it isn't obtuse, it isn't difficult, it just requires the player to pay attention and invest themselves in exploring.

The very first quest, the murder investigation, this even teaches you how to go about exploring this way, it actively teaches you to speak to NPCs to uncover information, to think about logical solutions (where would a dead body be? Maybe in a graveyard, or a morgue?).

It's perfectly logical that the leader of the town's fighting force sells fighting skills, just as it's logical the town's healer sells healing skills.

Hardly logical for some random asshole in an inn to sell scoundrel skillbooks or some bitch by a painting vendor in the marketplace to unload the hydro stuff on you.

I don't find it a big deal but I don't think it's the best route they could have taken, either.

Zakalwe

Banned
Oh god I just found out that there are only 2 companions in the game and they are a Wizard and 2-hander Knight, which are the exact same classes as my player characters which means I'm going to have to restart the game and pick other classes.

Why?

You can build the two mages to do very different htings. One for attacking, one for buffs, or one for air/water, one for fire/earth, etc...

I have two melee characters, very powerful. you can spec them differently too, one of mine has lots of speed and long reach and can hit more often, the other is much slower but hits a lot harder.

You don't need to restart at all!

Hardly logical for some random asshole in an inn to sell scoundrel skillbooks or some bitch by a painting vendor in the marketplace to unload the hydro stuff on you.

I don't find it a big deal but I don't think it's the best route they could have taken, either.

It's perfectly logical that the town will have people in it that sell things.

And, you know, travelling merchants stay in inns, vendors with arrows on their tables sell arrow related things, potion vendors sell... yep, potions and magical items!

You're not talking about logic, you're talking about being told where everything is.

Xanathus

Why?

You can build the two mages to do very different htings. One for attacking, one for buffs, or one for air/water, one for fire/earth, etc...

I have two melee characters, very powerful. you can spec them differently too, one of mine has lots of speed and long reach and can hit more often, the other is much slower but hits a lot harder.

You don't need to restart at all!

Because I want a balanced party and was hoping to recruit a rogue/archer type character and a cleric but this means that I would have to hybridize my characters instead of specializing them. It's pretty ridiculous that there's only 2 companions in the entire game in the first place, this is really disappointing.

It does not. Having two front-liners specializing in the same skills is still valuable in certain ways; twice the knockdown skills means twice the amount of enemies I'm knocking down in one turn. Likewise, two mages means more chances to cast the necessary buffs and environment-altering spells I need to ramp the odds drastically into my favour.

Aaron

Pretty sure he doesn't sell healing skills. He sells potions (and one piece of armor). The healing skills are on the elemental vendor. How is it logical that the captain of the guard has a book selling business on the side? Shouldn't there be an outfitter among these legionares who is responsible for getting them equipped and skilled?

Zakalwe

Banned
Because I want a balanced party and was hoping to recruit a rogue/archer type character and a cleric but this means that I would have to hybridize my characters instead of specializing them. It's pretty ridiculous that there's only 2 companions in the entire game in the first place, this is really disappointing.

You can hire henchman for every single class. It's the first
room you unlock in your homestead

There are only two voiced companions because Larian didn't have the resources to make more, two more are planned and there are the mod tools that will likely spawn many more.

Xanathus

You can hire henchman for every single class. It's the first
room you unlock in your homestead

There are only two voiced companions because Larian didn't have the resources to make more, two more are planned and there are the mod tools that will likely spawn many more.

Oh OK that helps a lot, but are there any companion specific quests? I know they have their own dialogue though frankly I dislike both of the companions.

Zakalwe

Banned
Pretty sure he doesn't sell healing skills. He sells potions (and one piece of armor). The healing skills are on the elemental vendor. How is it logical that the captain of the guard has a book selling business on the side? Shouldn't there be an outfitter among these legionares who is responsible for getting them equipped and skilled?

Does the healer not sell skill books? I don't have access ot him any more so I can't check. Apologies then. I'm sure he sells scrolls at least,, right? :3

Regardless, the market is a place where people sell things, the potion seller selling magical skillbooks is perfectly logical too.

Oh OK that helps a lot, but are there any companion specific quests? I know they have their own dialogue though frankly I dislike both of the companions.

Not really, but there are references
to Madora
during a certain quest and they both comment on certain actions you take. You won't miss a lot by not taking them, though.

Also, the companions develop over time. I assume based on your responses to them, but I'm not sure as I've only played through once paying attention to them. They reveal more aspects of their personality, I've grown to quite like both.

JambiBum

Does the healer not sell skill books? I don't have access ot him any more so I can't check. Apologies then. I'm sure he sells scrolls at least,, right? :3

Regardless, the market is a place where people sell things, the potion seller selling magical skillbooks is perfectly logical too.

Enchanter sells water and air spells so she sells the healing spells. I had no issues figuring out who sold what or why they were selling stuff. Even the person in the top of the inn that sells scoundrel spells makes sense once you talk to her. All of this talk kinda just sounds like people want their hands held because that is what they are used to now.

Aaron

Enchanter sells water and air spells so she sells the healing spells. I had no issues figuring out who sold what or why they were selling stuff. Even the person in the top of the inn that sells scoundrel spells makes sense once you talk to her. All of this talk kinda just sounds like people want their hands held because that is what they are used to now.
Ah, no. I played the original Pool of Radiance and Baldur's Gate. Skills and magic were much more clear back then than Divinity is now.

Brakke

Banned
Only level three and I'm already having panic attacks about how viable hybrid classes are... So you don't get attributes every level? How rare are they? If I want to go support spell / archer, I need Dex and Int for sure, probably also Perception and of course everyone (except Glass Canons?) needs Speed...

Zakalwe

Banned
Ah, no. I played the original Pool of Radiance and Baldur's Gate. Skills and magic were much more clear back then than Divinity is now.

What are you finding difficult to understand about skills and magic?

Only level three and I'm already having panic attacks about how viable hybrid classes are... So you don't get attributes every level? How rare are they? If I want to go support spell / archer, I need Dex and Int for sure, probably also Perception and of course everyone (except Glass Canons?) needs Speed...

Speed at 7 or 9 is a good idea.

Hybrid is viable, the game is more about tactics than worrying about how super efficient your classes are.

Saying that, I wouldn't personally mix archer and spell caster. To get the required intelligence you'd need to sacrifice something, probably perception it movement, which are both very useful. Plus, archers get special arrows which give just as much utility as spells, and you can always use scrolls to cast spells (one time use, but they're quite easy to craft and find).

My friend made a wonky looking warrior with man at arms and witchcraft that he says is serving him just fine though, so I say experiment! Unless you're worried about not being the most efficient player, the game is entirely open.

Any tips for beating
Braccus Rex
, he just one shots half of my party before I even get a chance to do anything

Abuse the lava that pours out of twins body when he dies with the teleport spell or a scroll. Teleporting the duke and the ghoul on the lava will one shot them.

ZoddGutts

Apparently the game has sold 250K from a belgium article:
http://www.demorgen.be/dm/nl/5402/G.../2014/07/16/Is-dit-de-game-van-het-jaar.dhtml

Belgian newspaper just posted an article with more recent numbers:

Quick translation of important bits:

- Sold a quarter of a million units.
- Sales curve is still rising because of word of mouth
- Production budget was 3 million euros, a third of which was made up by crowdsourcing
- They broke even
- Industry has noticed the game's success; Swen has had offers to buy Larian
- They don't know yet what they are going to do yet for their next project, first a holiday

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...hing-profitability.92682/page-25#post-3387068

Aaron

What are you finding difficult to understand about skills and magic?
1. The game doesn't give you a decent idea of what you're getting when you put skill points into catagories. For example, healing is under water skills. If you're going to do something that I can't possibly guess, let me know so I can plan out my builds.

2. Where the hell are the skills? There's a market, but half the vendors there are useless. Scoundrel / Witchcraft are hidden away, and I still have no clue where the fire or earth spells are. These are things my characters need to survive, and half of them are put into obtuse locations that I have to stumble over because the people I talk to are completely useless. Even the people with the skills won't tell you they have them! I shouldn't have to click on barter for every last person I meet with the hopes of eventually finding what I'm looking for. There's nothing fun about that.

Zakalwe

Banned
1. The game doesn't give you a decent idea of what you're getting when you put skill points into catagories. For example, healing is under water skills. If you're going to do something that I can't possibly guess, let me know so I can plan out my builds.

I don't know, water for healing just made sense to me.

Not only that, but, as I said, the first quest teaches you that you need to explore and speak to characters to discover information in this game. After a little exploration, you'll notice that certain NPCs sell healing items, scrolls and skillbooks, and that these are water related.

The game doesn't hide these things from you, it just doesn't point at them explicitly.

2. Where the hell are the skills? There's a market, but half the vendors there are useless. Scoundrel / Witchcraft are hidden away, and I still have no clue where the fire or earth spells are. These are things my characters need to survive, and half of them are put into obtuse locations that I have to stumble over because the people I talk to are completely useless. Even the people with the skills won't tell you they have them! I shouldn't have to click on barter for every last person I meet with the hopes of eventually finding what I'm looking for. There's nothing fun about that.

Again, explore. The game teaches you that you need to explore and talk to NPCs to uncover information.

You will soon discover that generic NPCs have nothing of value to trade with, and that there is a logic with all placement of vendors.

The inn has a travelling merchant, for example. Yes, you might not think of this right away, but you will discoverer it if you pay attention to the game.

Renekton

Rogue/archer type seems pretty unnecessary in this game so far. Their DPS is kinda low-ish, it's easier to bash doors/chest down than lockpick, sneaking tends to auto-fail on teammates' combat initiation, etc etc.

You just need two mages to each specialize in two of the different elements.

Aaron

Again, explore. The game teaches you that you need to explore and talk to NPCs to uncover information.

You will soon discover that generic NPCs have nothing of value to trade with, and that there is a logic with all placement of vendors.

The inn has a travelling merchant, for example. Yes, you might not think of this right away, but you will discoverer it if you pay attention to the game.
No. That's a bullshit excuse for poor design. It's throwing everything into a junk drawer and haven't to search around every time you need that flashlight, instead of it being where it makes sense. Sure, the inn can have a traveling merchant, but if you're going to stick her in a closed room upstairs, put someone on the bar that can tell you she's up there. If you're going to have the captain have a side business selling books, have him mention it among the many dialogue options. Because the majority of NPCs don't have shit worth bartering with, and I shouldn't have to poke every last one to blindly discover who has the goods.

Zakalwe

Banned
Rogue/archer type seems pretty unnecessary in this game so far. Their DPS is kinda low-ish, it's easier to bash doors/chest down than lockpick, sneaking tends to auto-fail on teammates' combat initiation, etc etc.

You just need two mages to each specialize in two of the different elements.

I have a ranger and she's brilliant. later skills like Arrow Spray and Barrage are quite powerful, but the ranger's real power lie in the utility that special arrows give you. They have no cool down like spells, and are easy to craft. They get access to more utility than a specialised mage too, as they span all schools (charm, freeze, fire, poison, etc...).

Also, I have a single mage. He has points in every school of magic and is extremely powerful. You don't get the same amount of synergy potential per turn as two (ie: you only get a single turn to play with), but with glass Cannon and good stat spread you'll still be able to throw out a good amount per turn.
No. That's a bullshit excuse for poor design. It's throwing everything into a junk drawer and haven't to search around every time you need that flashlight, instead of it being where it makes sense. Sure, the inn can have a traveling merchant, but if you're going to stick her in a closed room upstairs, put someone on the bar that can tell you she's up there. If you're going to have the captain have a side business selling books, have him mention it among the many dialogue options. Because the majority of NPCs don't have shit worth bartering with, and I shouldn't have to poke every last one to blindly discover who has the goods.

If it's a BS excuse, then why do so many people here have 0 problems? And why do so many people here praise these exact design choices?

I think this game simply isn't for you. It requires a certain mindset for sure.

I got a little stuck last night and had to check a guide. (Murder investigation spoilers)
I got to the force field under the church and couldn’t get past so I went back to Cyseal to find Theylon (sp?) as I had found out he was a bad egg. He was gone and there were no NPCs with dialogue options about him. To Google! It turns out that I missed the whole Evelyn thing. I had spoken to the mortician and checked out his 4 body snatching suspects but Evelyn never had any options to ask here about it so I decided to leave that quest for a bit. I think the problem was that I had not spoken to Theylon or Evelyn before she became a suspect so when I went to see them I got the dialogue about choosing which patient dies instead a continuation of the story.

So did I break the game? Was it simply because I didn't speak to T + E soon enough? Is there a way things could have righted themselves without me using a walkthrough? After looking at the guide I fixed things by breaking into
Evelyns house and going to her lab.
It seems really shit that if I hadn't looked it up I'd be stuck. I still love the game though.

Also I think something else seems broken in the Sparkmaster quest:
I saved all the men in the cave and my journal says to see how they are getting on with the legion,
but I cant find them anywhere. Any suggestions?

@Aaron: when you speak to an NPC you should always check what they have to trade. You HAVE to speak to the guy who sells Man At Arms books and the guy who sells fire and earth books so you cant really miss them. The air/water seller is in the market shouting about her magical wares. The only one who didn't jump out at me is the one in the inn but, as my above example shows, you are supposed to be talking to everyone to figure stuff out.

Zakalwe

Banned
So if i would like to use the new AI personalities, i need to start new game again, yes?

You can switch them at
the mirror
in the
Inner Chamber
(second room you unlock in your Homestead)

I got a little stuck last night and had to check a guide. (Murder investigation spoilers)
I got to the force field under the church and couldn’t get past so I went back to Cyseal to find Theylon (sp?) as I had found out he was a bad egg. He was gone and there were no NPCs with dialogue options about him. To Google! It turns out that I missed the whole Evelyn thing. I had spoken to the mortician and checked out his 4 body snatching suspects but Evelyn never had any options to ask here about it so I decided to leave that quest for a bit. I think the problem was that I had not spoken to Theylon or Evelyn before she became a suspect so when I went to see them I got the dialogue about choosing which patient dies instead a continuation of the story.

So did I break the game? Was it simply because I didn't speak to T + E soon enough? Is there a way things could have righted themselves without me using a walkthrough? After looking at the guide I fixed things by breaking into
Evelyns house and going to her lab.
It seems really shit that if I hadn't looked it up I'd be stuck. I still love the game though.

Also I think something else seems broken in the Sparkmaster quest:
I saved all the men in the cave and my journal says to see how they are getting on with the legion,
but I cant find them anywhere. Any suggestions?

You need to explore all aspects of a quest, The reason most get stuck on the Murder Investigation is because they're not thorough enough; once you're used to it you'll find it becomes something of a second nature to obsessively explore everything.

You could have righted it if you'd checked the quest log and retraced your steps, that's how I've found parts I missed. When you speak
with Evelyn, I think the choice to heal the NPC
is always the first part that triggers anyway, so you didn't miss anything there. You're just supposed to explore each suspect thoroughly, and if you do the quest should open up. It can be tricky to get into if you're not used to the way of thinking the game demands from you, it threw me for a while at first too.

I noticed two ways to open up
Evelyn as a suspect:

Break into her house.
Find all the evidence needed to accuse Esmeralda effectively and the quest will direct you.

You really do need to be thorough though, for example one of the items you need
to accuse Esmeralda
is in the room at the inn where the murder occurred
. If this is the place you
trigger the End of Time event
, you may not think to go back there to search it properly.

Not sure about sparkmaster, soz.

@Zakalwe; Thanks. From the guide I used it seemed that when you go to investigate
Evelyn
she is supposed to be gone and
Theylon
tells you she left in a hurry and directs you to her house which would lead you to the
lab
. My problem was that
Theylon had gone to the church
so couldn't direct me to the house.
At that point I knew that
Theylon and Evelyn were responsible
but there were no dialogue options with any characters that related to it, I couldn’t accuse
Evelyn
, I couldn't report it to the head of the legion, I couldn't tell the wizard who had given me the quest. Maybe doing the
Esmerelda
stuff would have somehow led me to
Evelyns
house but it would not stop the silliness of not being able to tell anyone what I had found out.

You do need to speak to people and pay attention to what’s happening to get ahead, but the game should not break or become nonsensical when you fail to do so or when (like me) you do pay attention but do quests in the "wrong" order.

Zakalwe

Banned
@Zakalwe; Thanks. From the guide I used it seemed that when you go to investigate
Evelyn
she is supposed to be gone and
Theylon
tells you she left in a hurry and directs you to her house which would lead you to the
lab
. My problem was that
Theylon had gone to the church
so couldn't direct me to the house.
At that point I knew that
Theylon and Evelyn were responsible
but there were no dialogue options with any characters that related to it, I couldn’t accuse
Evelyn
, I couldn't report it to the head of the legion, I couldn't tell the wizard who had given me the quest. Maybe doing the
Esmerelda
stuff would have somehow led me to
Evelyns
house but it would not stop the silliness of not being able to tell anyone what I had found out.

You do need to speak to people and pay attention to what’s happening to get ahead, but the game should not break or become nonsensical when you fail to do so or when (like me) you do pay attention but do quests in the "wrong" order.

Right, but at that point you can
break into Evelyn's house and continue
. I mean, it's a house marked with her name, sitting there locked. It's obviously
related to her
, so if you need to i
nvestigate her and she's disappeared
it's quite an obvious place to look.

As I said, it's mindset issue. In other games you'd be told to
search her house
, this game leaves it up to you to choose how to conduct your investigation. A downside to allowing you this freedom is that the game has to guide you less, so there is more room to overlook things. That's not a fault with the actual game design though, probably more to do with how often other games hold our hands so tightly.

There are definitely a few times that the game is a little too obscure, but I think the murder investigation is very well scripted.

duckroll

joshbob1985, do you read the letters, scrolls, and various stuff that are lying around? If you did, then you must have missed a vital directional clue.
Theylon shouldn't disappear from the town until you find his hideout in the eastern woods and discover that he has been working with the Conduit. Going inside the church shouldn't really change anything. I was down there before early in the game (sneaked with invisibility, and teleported my party down to me), and Theylon was still in town after that because there were no direct clues linking him to the church until you find his hideout.

If you did find his hideout, then you would have read that the Conduit was sending him a new female apprentice. It also contains directions to opening the hatch in the church, and mentions the amulet which he says the Conduit already has. If you put the two together, it's a clear sign that Evelyn is the link here, so why -wouldn't- you search her house for more evidence?

Top Bottom