• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

it's official i'm stupid when it comes to this game, thought my resurrection scrolls were disappearing only to realize that i could scroll down for another row of inventory. Also why does Curtius seems to almost always have legendaries on him

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm totally going to mod in a blank spellbook vendor in Cyseal, because I have so many scrolls right now.

They're easy to craft, random but you can always save scum if you're desperate.

Pixie dust + paper
=
random blank scroll.
Pixie dust
=
Stardust herb + bonedust

2x blank scroll
=
blank book.

Bones + Mortor and Pestle
=
bonedust
Weaver of time
constantly restocks with
pixie dust
too.

I have tonens of blank books.

My first run through of this game continues to be silly:
After skipping a chunk of the murder investigation by doing the undead scourge quest, I went from finding Theylon in the church to Evelyns hideout (via much confusion and a guide). I did the hideout, got the pendant to pass the force field and met zombie Jake. I then warped back to the churchyard and passed the force field and found… zombie Jake! NPCs move quickly in this game. Theylon gargled his last breath and I moved onto the boss who killed half my team in one spell. I noticed during the brief fight that I had only fought two of the three sub-bosses before, so I went back out to find the Bone Barron bloke. On the way I found Theylons hideout. After reading his journal, one of my characters said “I don’t believe it! It was the doctor” err… we already know that. The other character said “we must confront him at once” err… you can’t. He’s dead. You watched him die. When I found the Bone Barron he told me how B.A. Baracus Rex was buried nearby and might one day be resurrected! Err… he is alive and well mate, chilling with your doppelganger under the church.

It’s nice that the game is open enough for you to complete quests in a variety of ways, but the dialogue does not hold up if you deviate from the intended path. They could at least have had Arhu suggest very strongly that you finish investigating the murder before doing other quests or, better yet, have more dialogue options put in so that you really can do things in any order without it getting silly.

I don’t mind this too much to be honest and am really enjoying the game. I am a little concerned about the experience I may have missed by skipping the murder investigation though. My party of four has just turned level 10 after going to the
forest and speaking to everyone in the miner/cultist town. I have skipped the church boss for now.
Does this sound about right level wise?

Divinity just got a patch.
Hi everybody,

A mini-fix today with a very small change list, and at the same time a big update for those who are busy with the Divinity engine toolkit as we added the source files for the main campaign.

We also added a truckload of new tutorial movies which will teach you how to script.

Game fixes

-Fix for error 117 (during saving with unicode profile/user names)
-Fix for floating camera

Divinity Engine Toolkit changes

-Added "templates folder" with source data for main campaign (Divinity engine toolkit)
-Stability fix in resource manager

Have fun!

Zakalwe

Banned
It’s nice that the game is open enough for you to complete quests in a variety of ways, but the dialogue does not hold up if you deviate from the intended path.

I don’t mind this too much to be honest and am really enjoying the game. I am a little concerned about the experience I may have missed by skipping the murder investigation though. My party of four has just turned level 10 after going to the
forest and speaking to everyone in the miner/cultist town. I have skipped the church boss for now.

You didn't miss much more than a few conversations, so I wouldn't worry.

And I agree, certain quest orders need more support. The downfall of having usch an open system and not enough resources during dev time I guess.

On the birght side, I'm sure a mod will be built to patch something like this in if Larian don't do it.

For reference:
Church boss is level 9, I was level 8 when I beat him and level 9 when I moved to the second area. I did a few quests in the forest slightly out of order and overlevlled a bit, it makes a few encoutners a bit too easy but it does even out again.
I'm sure your level will be fine.

Divinity just got a patch.

The dev kit stuff is great. I've been watching the tutorials in preperation for my first attempt at a mod for this game. Really excited about what people are going to produce!

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm feeling pretty stuck, level 5 in the first area and all the encounters left are too tough.

When you hit level 6-7, battles become a lot easier, partly because around that point you'll have the probably gained access to a bigger range of skills and items to deal with the larger encounters.

Still, have you got enough skills and/or items to deal with larger enemy encounters? Are you making good use of the elemental system?

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
I decided to play the crafter in a coop I'm playing with my friend and I'm seeing recipes calling for scraps of metal but I have no idea how these are created/acquired. Does anyone know?

Lulubop

When you hit level 6-7, battles become a lot easier, partly because around that point you'll have the probably gained access to a bigger range of skills and items to deal with the larger encounters.

Still, have you got enough skills and/or items to deal with larger enemy encounters? Are you making good use of the elemental system?

Well the problem is getting to level 6. I've clear the map of pretty much any encounter I can actually beat.

Clunker

This game completely blindsided me. Loving pretty much everything about it - but should I be worried at all about running out of resurrection scrolls? I'm about level 5 now and it's not uncommon for one of my guys to drop during an encounter. I don't want to save scum throughout, and I'm trying to let things play out as they do naturally, but not sure if I'm painting myself into a corner.

Also, is widespread art theft and general skulduggery the only real way to get a good gold supply going? I raided Esmeralda's house for a ton of good stuff but I'm low again now.

epmode

This game completely blindsided me. Loving pretty much everything about it - but should I be worried at all about running out of resurrection scrolls? I'm about level 5 now and it's not uncommon for one of my guys to drop during an encounter. I don't want to save scum throughout, and I'm trying to let things play out as they do naturally, but not sure if I'm painting myself into a corner.

You find them them relatively often and vendors stock them but I'm pretty sure it's possible to run out.

Also, is widespread art theft and general skulduggery the only real way to get a good gold supply going?
That and selling garbage equipment. I pick up most white armor/weapons and it really helps.

Labadal

Also, is widespread art theft and general skulduggery the only real way to get a good gold supply going? I raided Esmeralda's house for a ton of good stuff but I'm low again now.

I buy/trade items for every resurrection scroll I find in shops. I don't buy armor and weapons. Steal paintings that have good gold value.

Chaos17

My first run through of this game continues to be silly:
After skipping a chunk of the murder investigation by doing the undead scourge quest, I went from finding Theylon in the church to Evelyns hideout (via much confusion and a guide). I did the hideout, got the pendant to pass the force field and met zombie Jake. I then warped back to the churchyard and passed the force field and found… zombie Jake! NPCs move quickly in this game. Theylon gargled his last breath and I moved onto the boss who killed half my team in one spell. I noticed during the brief fight that I had only fought two of the three sub-bosses before, so I went back out to find the Bone Barron bloke. On the way I found Theylons hideout. After reading his journal, one of my characters said “I don’t believe it! It was the doctor” err… we already know that. The other character said “we must confront him at once” err… you can’t. He’s dead. You watched him die. When I found the Bone Barron he told me how B.A. Baracus Rex was buried nearby and might one day be resurrected! Err… he is alive and well mate, chilling with your doppelganger under the church.

It’s nice that the game is open enough for you to complete quests in a variety of ways, but the dialogue does not hold up if you deviate from the intended path. They could at least have had Arhu suggest very strongly that you finish investigating the murder before doing other quests or, better yet, have more dialogue options put in so that you really can do things in any order without it getting silly.

There is no point on skipping boss in an area and go back later since you will overpower them because they will not level with you and also the loots will be less interesting than those in the second area.

Noaloha

I'm feeling pretty stuck, level 5 in the first area and all the encounters left are too tough.

If you haven't already, try taking on the beach to the west of Cyseal, with the exit at the harbour. That (lengthy) set of encounters is all around Lv6 ish. If you take your time at Level 5 and play cautiously, you'll find that you come out the other end of it, 'new' area included, with a truckload of Exp. That whole area is damn fun too. Main tip would be, explore slowly and with your highest Perception guy out front.

There is no point on skipping boss in an area and go back later since you will overpower them because they will not level with you and also the loots will be less interesting than those in the second area.

I am going to give it another try tonight now that I can use level 10 skills. They wont solve the problem of my glass cannon mages getting one shotted by his AoE spells but I think I can counter that with better positioning. I dislike fire based undead, they make one of my wizards pretty useless.

Early spoiler question (currently lvl 4)
I am investigating the murder and have Murphy the dog willing to sniff items of all the suspects. Also have explored the surrounding undead area near the lighthouse. Should I try and wrap up the murder before trying to tackle the lighthouse?

danthefan

I really love this game but there's one thing that drives me nuts: when in combat I go to attack an enemy and their animation makes them move just as I'm about to click on them, so instead of attacking my char just uses all their action points going for a walk. This happen to anyone else?

Lulubop

If you haven't already, try taking on the beach to the west of Cyseal, with the exit at the harbour. That (lengthy) set of encounters is all around Lv6 ish. If you take your time at Level 5 and play cautiously, you'll find that you come out the other end of it, 'new' area included, with a truckload of Exp. That whole area is damn fun too. Main tip would be, explore slowly and with your highest Perception guy out front.

Really? I've only had two encounters on the beach and one is seemingly a boss fight that's a bit hard for me at the moment.

Noaloha

Early spoiler question (currently lvl 4)
I am investigating the murder and have Murphy the dog willing to sniff items of all the suspects. Also have explored the surrounding undead area near the lighthouse. Should I try and wrap up the murder before trying to tackle the lighthouse?
You can follow your mood at that point pretty much. Combat questing in that general area and wrapping around north or dialogue questing in town. Don't fret about messing the murder mystery up.

You can follow your mood at that point pretty much. Combat questing in that general area and wrapping around north or dialogue questing in town. Don't fret about messing the murder mystery up.

I disagree. Do fret about messing up the murder investigation. The lighthouse and burial ground are fine to do, but do not go to the church until you have done the murder mystery.

Thats not true, its still worth it for getting the XP which helps you keep up with the game's critical path. I find myself milking the XP in this game, I feel like if I'm behind a level on a boss than I can barely compete.

Ourobolus

Banned
I really love this game but there's one thing that drives me nuts: when in combat I go to attack an enemy and their animation makes them move just as I'm about to click on them, so instead of attacking my char just uses all their action points going for a walk. This happen to anyone else?

Yes. This is really annoying. Especially that bastard in front of the lighthouse whose animation involves him jumping up and down. I clicked just past him so many damn times.

Noaloha

I disagree. Do fret about messing up the murder investigation. The lighthouse and burial ground are fine to do, but do not go to the church until you have done the murder mystery.
I didn't bother mentioning the Church as he's only Lv4 currently, so I only mentioned the Lighthouse-ey area and north of that area. :p
Really? I've only had two encounters on the beach and one is seemingly a boss fight that's a bit hard for me at the moment.

If it's the two encounters I'm thinking of
(two pockets of half a dozen Lv6 orcs)
it can be tricky but it's certainly doable, especially with judicious use of sneaky strats, bottle-necking and plain old hit and run whittling.

If you just need a quick Exp boost to get up to Level 6, consider this: (general exploration spoilers)
if you leave Cyseal by the gate directly to the west of the Legion HQ, Aureus and Arhu's place, then immediately head East, you'll avoid combat and happen upon a well. Examine the well and check out the new area. You'll get a surprisingly large chunk of exploration Exp.

danthefan

Question about the
White Witch
(2nd map, lv 10/11) quest line:

I've gone through the cave in her house, killed some guys and went through the lake to some new area, followed statues who told me whether I was going the right or wrong way, finally got to one who told me I was in the right place, and then... nothing. There's a lever nearby that doesn't open the stone gate, there's some other statue spamming ice spells, am I supposed to go that way?

Also I found a parchment with a riddle on it in a chest in this area, the answer seems to be 8, but I've no idea what to do with the answer. Anyone?

epmode

Question about the
White Witch
(2nd map, lv 10/11) quest line:

I've gone through the cave in her house, killed some guys and went through the lake to some new area, followed statues who told me whether I was going the right or wrong way, finally got to one who told me I was in the right place, and then... nothing. There's a lever nearby that doesn't open the stone gate, there's some other statue spamming ice spells, am I supposed to go that way?

I'm at the same point myself. I suggest heading towards the ice spell statue. You'll be able to get out of the cave very shortly.

Yes, it's probably happened to everyone.

Best way to avoid it (if you're concerned it may happen) is to use the overhead perspective (hotkey: B). That way you can click on the center of a unit worry-free.

Yasae

Banned
Backstabbing is still very hit or miss. It's a shame because you can waste a lot of resources lining up what should be a backstab (a perk, AP, and you can potentially get yourself killed quite easily).

It's basically a 50% chance you'll be at the right point behind an enemy, and sometimes you can never get a backstab - the game doesn't let you for whatever reason and doesn't say why.

Monooboe

Finished it today! Now the wait for some quality modules.:D I need to fire up the editor and see what can be done with it. I loved playing around with the editor for Neverwinter Nights.

Sothpaw

Backstabbing is still very hit or miss. It's a shame because you can waste a lot of resources lining up what should be a backstab (a perk, AP, and you can potentially get yourself killed quite easily).

It's basically a 50% chance you'll be at the right point behind an enemy, and sometimes you can never get a backstab - the game doesn't let you for whatever reason and doesn't say why.

Is it like Baldur's Gate where some enemies are immune to backstab maybe? Beats me, I've got 2 fighters a mage and a ranger so I haven't played around with backstab.

I wish you could 'undo' moves in this game. I understand locking it in once you have performed an action but if you move somewhere by mistake, without performing any actions, you should be able to undo the movement and correct it. This would help for positioning those backstabs too.

nbthedude

I feel like mages are pretty powerful in this game in general. If you have two of them that can summon creatures, buff, and shoot projectiles you can pretty much dominate anything.

Of the people I've known who have played it, the ones who only have one mage type seem to have a much harder time than those that have two + Jahan and Madora.

Burt

I wish you could 'undo' moves in this game. I understand locking it in once you have performed an action but if you move somewhere by mistake, without performing any actions, you should be able to undo the movement and correct it. This would help for positioning those backstabs too.

Yeah, nothing worse than trying to click an enemy to attack it, but having its idle animation move it out from under your cursor and you end up wasting your turn and getting murdered by a bunch of attacks of opportunity.

I feel like mages are pretty powerful in this game in general. If you have two of them that can summon creatures, buff, and shoot projectiles you can pretty much dominate anything.

Of the people I've known who have played it, the ones who only have one mage type seem to have a much harder time than those that have two + Jahan and Madora.

Re: the bolded, we're obviously playing very different games. My fourth party member is a rogue/archer, and he's been vital in crippling enemies, controlling the battlefield, and some out-of-combat subterfeuge as well.

Using two mages would make my party too squishy and it would destroy my ability to swiftly kill enemies, leading to more situations where I'm surrounded or overrun by lesser enemies.

Kyle Miller is an all-around great guy when he's not dying constantly.

danthefan

Re: the bolded, we're obviously playing very different games. My fourth party member is a rogue/archer, and he's been vital in crippling enemies, controlling the battlefield, and some out-of-combat subterfeuge as well.

Using two mages would make my party too squishy and it would destroy my ability to swiftly kill enemies, leading to more situations where I'm surrounded or overrun by lesser enemies.

Errr dude it seems like you're declaring that as fact when it really isn't the case. I love having two mages, having them sneak up on enemies, putting down an oil slick, teleporting enemies into it, setting them on fire, and then blowing them up with poison is god damn awesome.

I'm not telling you your party is wrong. If it works for you that's great. But two mages each with different types of magic works really well.

And on a completely unrelated note I've just hit 30 hours. Took a punt on this game, wasn't at all sure I'd like it, but it is amazing. Best game I've played this year easily.

Also, this game has weird enemy ai in that they can't seem to decide to target one person. They don't even seem to target the weakest person. I've had one enemy do 2 attacks in one round and he hit both my mages once.

Yasae

Banned
Is it like Baldur's Gate where some enemies are immune to backstab maybe? Beats me, I've got 2 fighters a mage and a ranger so I haven't played around with backstab.
It works sometimes and other times it doesn't.

I was trying backstab on a zombie mage last night. First go around I was able to do so - and even with a weak dagger I was doing respectable damage. But then the latter saves came up (we died previously and rethought positioning, which helped immensely) and suddenly I could NEVER get a backstab on him no matter where I was. I tried dancing around and moving a half step here or there for 0 AP - nothing worked. There was no option to backstab.

It happens on enemies over and over and over. It's just not a very polished mechanic, which again is shameful for the costs involved. You have to do so much work setting it up, and when it does it's worth it but it seems like there's never a reliable system.

It's a lot of little things piled up which keep this game from being truly great. I can overlook a few bits and pieces missing but it's like every time you turn around there's a wobbly game mechanic, or a quest that's broken because it's out of order, or unfair RNG, or something.

It's a lot of little things piled up which keep this game from being truly great. I can overlook a few bits and pieces missing but it's like every time you turn around there's a wobbly game mechanic, or a quest that's broken because it's out of order, or unfair RNG, or something.

How is a dice roll unfair? Unless there are other mechanics besides just rolling a dice.

There are bugs with reloading that need to be fixed, especially if you are already in battle though.

Also, this game has weird enemy ai in that they can't seem to decide to target one person. They don't even seem to target the weakest person. I've had one enemy do 2 attacks in one round and he hit both my mages once.

I think they try to maximize harm, by debuffing the strongest and generally dealing as much damage as possible, while avoiding damage themselves. This would include being AP-efficient to ensure the most attacks are executed in a round, which leads to some... odd movement decisions. I think that would explain most (but not all) of their decisions.

They frequently, needlessly, provoke Opportunist attacks, or use ranged attacks poorly (hitting obstacles or immune units, like skeletons vs poison), and simply sit still when blind or surrounded by smoke.. But on the other hand, they avoid environmental hazards well, and do a good job of debuffing or weakening their opponents, often targetting party members who are most vulnerable to that type of status effect (from what I've seen).

The Skeleton thing might be because while Skeletons are immune to poison damage, they are theoretically vulnerable to the poison status effect. So there is some perceived harm to the AI poisoning them, even though the effect won't do anything. I'm sure Larian'll fix it at some point.

Errr dude it seems like you're declaring that as fact when it really isn't the case. I love having two mages, having them sneak up on enemies, putting down an oil slick, teleporting enemies into it, setting them on fire, and then blowing them up with poison is god damn awesome.

I'm not telling you your party is wrong. If it works for you that's great. But two mages each with different types of magic works really well.

And on a completely unrelated note I've just hit 30 hours. Took a punt on this game, wasn't at all sure I'd like it, but it is amazing. Best game I've played this year easily.

That's why this game's classless system is great. Everyone has their own preferences that they cannot imagine playing without! (There's probably someone with two rogues in their party, for instance! A completely insane party composition, to say the least.)

Sothpaw

The rapture skill (marksman) is so good. Enemies fight for you and draw a ton of aggro for three turns. Between that and Jahan stunning/blinding everything else my party feels much more powerful now than at the beginning if the game.

Another noob question. Should I ever cap dumping pts into my primary stat? Level 4 for example and my mage is already at 10. Also for my ranger is perception or speed more important? Is it worth it dump pts in speed at all?

erragal

And my protagonist mage has the most hp in the party and usually takes point absorbing the brunt of initial spell volleys so my coop partners squish rogue can get prepared /positioned to clean up primary targets.

Tactical diversity is the name of the game. All permutations can work if you develop the correct strategies.

Another noob question. Should I ever cap dumping pts into my primary stat? Level 4 for example and my mage is already at 10. Also for my ranger is perception or speed more important? Is it worth it dump pts in speed at all?

Perception will increase ranged accuracy as well as some out-of-combat stuff, and speed will allow you one more action point for every 3 (or so) points spent in it. Their tooltips explain exactly what they do, and you can see any stat bonuses before commiting level-up changes, so it's very easy to compare what you get level-to-level.

Speed can be very valuable, because any action points you don't spend roll over into the next round. This can be the difference between one or two attacks per turn, for instance. Though it's really up to your needs at the moment - do you feel you have too few action points? Invest in speed. Do you need more ranged accuracy or a better chance to detect traps? Then get perception.

Note that dexterity still decides damage for ranged attacks.

Brakke

Banned
Pacing on this murder is super weird. I just cleared out the lighthouse and I've revealed everything north of town, all the undead areas. I have the password to the culprit's hideout but... how the hell do I get to it?? Do I have to go through the Orcs? If so, what was the point of the forest area...

Pacing on this murder is super weird. I just cleared out the lighthouse and I've revealed everything north of town, all the undead areas. I have the password to the culprit's hideout but... how the hell do I get to it?? Do I have to go through the Orcs? If so, what was the point of the forest area...

I have good news and bad news for you.

The good news: you do not have to go through the orcs, West of Cyseal.

The bad news: you need to go
North, under the mountain/wall and around until you reach the far Northwestern beach.
The spot to use the spell will be obvious once you look around.

Brakke

Banned
I have good news and bad news for you.

The good news: you do not have to go through the orcs, West of Cyseal.

The bad news: you need to go
North, under the mountain/wall and around until you reach the far Northwestern beach.
The spot to use the spell will be obvious once you look around.

Ohhhh, I forgot all about that gate, the map doesn't make that look like a path. Thanks!

duckroll

Boreas is a sack of shit. I've raided all his treasure and everything using stealth, but it seems I -have- to fight him to get the staff. It's really a pain in the ass. Am I underleveled at 11? Should I go look for some other mobs in previous areas to level up first? I guess the main problem I have is that other than my fighter, no one seems to be able to do much damage to him at all. It doesn't help that Jahan is loaded up with water and air spells which only heal him. >_<

Leezard

Boreas is a sack of shit. I've raided all his treasure and everything using stealth, but it seems I -have- to fight him to get the staff. It's really a pain in the ass. Am I underleveled at 11? Should I go look for some other mobs in previous areas to level up first? I guess the main problem I have is that other than my fighter, no one seems to be able to do much damage to him at all. It doesn't help that Jahan is loaded up with water and air spells which only heal him. >_<

tip for the fight:
Destroy the statues. Elements will be able to hurt him.

Top Bottom