• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Sothpaw

It's a weird word to use. They actually sold you the game. It wasn't a gift. The word reads entitlement to me. "Give Diretide". And "give" sets up a weird power dynamic, one that doesn't really reflect the reality of this relationship. Larian didn't give this game to us, they "brought" it to market--in the hope that we would bring our money to the market. If anyone "gave" this game to the world, it's the Kickstarter backers. They went into this venture not necessarily expecting anything in return.

Sometimes my copy editor soul makes things like that jump out at me. You're saying much more than you intend with "give".

If your slots for that skill are full, yes. You could also increase the level of your skill to get more slots.

Don't read too far into semantics man. Believe me I am about as anti-entitlement as they come. I think everyone here understands what we were saying.

Chaos17

I feel like they are going to sell. I would if it secured my financial future. Yea though if they do then I doubt we will get another game like this from Larian. Bioware never gave us another great game like BG2, it happens.
Bioware did not 100% made BG, it was co-develloped/published with Blask isle wich kinda was the core of the game, imo.

Source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Isle_Studios

So no wonder that Bioware couldn't make the same games.
Blame the customers back then who didn't support their games enough and they went bankrupt wich resulted of the cancellation of BG3 and Fallout 3.

FACE

Banned
It's a weird word to use. They actually sold you the game. It wasn't a gift. The word reads entitlement to me. "Give Diretide". And "give" sets up a weird power dynamic, one that doesn't really reflect the reality of this relationship. Larian didn't give this game to us, they "brought" it to market--in the hope that we would bring our money to the market. If anyone "gave" this game to the world, it's the Kickstarter backers. They went into this venture not necessarily expecting anything in return.

Sometimes my copy editor soul makes things like that jump out at me. You're saying much more than you intend with "give".

I BACKED THIS FOR OVER $100 SO I'LL USE WHATEVER GOD DAMNED WORD I FEEL LIKE!

I thought you were saying something was wrong with my grammar.

Varna

Has there been a comment about why the AI Personalities work the way they do?

1. You still have to select dialogue for characters with AI Personality during certain conversations.

2. You have to select a response for a character with AI if you are currently controlling them.

Wouldn't it make more sense for them to select dialogue on their own in both those situations? Wouldn't it also offer a ton of replay value by having it work that way as well? It would be quiet interesting to try and see what kind of interactions opposing personalities would have during a playthrough.

Tom Penny

Do I need people in the Lucella Forest town on the side of the prison? The immaculate teacher attacked me when I tried to steal something so I killed her and the students then the whole town attacked me now they are all dead 0_0

yuraya

You can craft one:-

Pillow + Knife = Feather
Bone/Skull + Mortar and pestle = Bone dust
Bone dust + Stardust plant = Pixie dust
Feather + Pixie dust = Magic Feather
Magic Feather + Thread = +1 Dex Amulet

For strength...

Magic claw (claw + Pixie dust) + thread = +1 strength amulet

Thanks for this tip. I crafted a feather amulet which gave +1 dex :D

But just fyi..your pixie dust recipe didn't work for me. At least combining Stardust herb + Bone dust didn't work. I am not sure if Stardust plant is a different item from herb or not. But anyways I just bought the pixie dust off a merchant :p

Grind up the herb with a mortar / pestle.

Gotcha thnxs )

Brakke

Banned
Well, i have some free slots, but when i click on them, nothing happens

Oh. Move the book into that character's inventory and then right click and have them read it.

Don't read too far into semantics man. Believe me I am about as anti-entitlement as they come. I think everyone here understands what we were saying.

"Semantics" is meaning. It's the whole thing. You weren't precise and I read something you didn't mean to write.

Brakke

Banned

But just fyi..your pixie dust recipe didn't work for me. At least combining Stardust herb + Bone dust didn't work. I am not sure if Stardust plant is a different item or not. But anyways I just bought the pixie dust off a merchant :p

Grind up the herb with a mortar / pestle.

Kiyoshi

But just fyi..your pixie dust recipe didn't work for me. At least combining Stardust herb + Bone dust didn't work. I am not sure if Stardust plant is a different item from herb or not. But anyways I just bought the pixie dust off a merchant :p

Ah yeah, of course. Oops, was going from memory and obviously missed that step out. I read on the net that using a fancy feather instead of a normal one also gives you a +HP bonus as well as the +DEX but I don't know how to find or craft that. Anyone know?

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Started playing the game in CooP with a friend (who hosted the game), I say the game needs a better method to show conversations of my CooP partner; because I am missing a huge chunk of the story and missing every conversation.

Larian Studios please fix this

Currently the only method is to disable banter in the dialog window to the right to read the text, But that window cannot be resized and the order of dialogs are reversed (NPC text appears first, then my CooP Partners dialog option text).

Edit: Is there a workaround to see my CooP partners conversations with NPC's, the proper way?

Ferrio

Banned
Started playing the game in CooP with a friend (who hosted the game), I say the game needs a better method to show conversations of my CooP partner; because I am missing a huge chunk of the story and missing every conversation.

Currently the only method is to disable banter in the dialog window to the right to read the text, But that window cannot be resized and the order of dialogs are reversed (NPC text appears first, then my CooP Partners dialog option text).

Edit: Is there a workaround to see my CooP partners conversations with NPC's, the proper way?

My friend just sums up what they said, kinda reminds me a lot of playing DnD that way. We'll both comb a town and tell each other what info we're finding.

Noaloha

It's certainly one of the more crudely implemented (edit) features systems as it currently stands. Someone asked the same question a week or so ago, I'll just repost my reply:

For the time being, follow the chat between your co-op partner and the NPC by bringing up the 'Dialogue' section in your journal ('L' to bring up Journal, select the third(?) tab along the top) - it updates in real time with both sides of the conversation and can be read from the other side of the game world. You miss out on seeing your co-op partner's dialogue options sadly, you'll only see the chosen response. It's the best way to go about it at the moment though. Happily, Larian are working on a patch to allow us to view the actual conversation UI of our co-op partner in real time. :)

justjim89

Just started playing this today. Going with a Shadowblade and a Witch, have leveled up once and just met with the legion captain. A few questions:

-Can I not equip two dagger-type weapons on my Shadowblade? I tried and it didn't seem to work.
-Is there any sort of proper questlog? The journal seems a bit vague in it's directions at this point.
-Do objectives have no waypoints on the map or am I missing something? I've had to aimlessly wander to find all objectives so far.
-Do I have to go out of my way to fill out my party or is it just through the main quest?
-Can I move with WASD? Or can I at least make it to were the camera doesn't go all over the place every damn time I move the mouse?
-Can I set two weapon sets for a character to switch between, or do I have to go into the menu every time I switch from melee to ranged?

I'm enjoying it so far, but it's certainly a bit more obtuse than Dragon Age, which I've been playing lately. Any and all noob tips are welcome.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
My friend just sums up what they said, kinda reminds me a lot of playing DnD that way. We'll both comb a town and tell each other what info we're finding.

We aren't using VoIP while playing, also we restrict the games 'local' chat only for queries between ourselves.

Will try with VoIP, but my friend has some issue with respect to having a mic connected to the system as its bundled with a USB module which comes with the mic/headphones package. :/

-----
It's certainly one of the more crudely implemented (edit) features systems as it currently stands. Someone asked the same question a week or so ago, I'll just repost my reply:

For the time being, follow the chat between your co-op partner and the NPC by bringing up the 'Dialogue' section in your journal ('L' to bring up Journal, select the third(?) tab along the top) - it updates in real time with both sides of the conversation and can be read from the other side of the game world. You miss out on seeing your co-op partner's dialogue options sadly, you'll only see the chosen response. It's the best way to go about it at the moment though. Happily, Larian are working on a patch to allow us to view the actual conversation UI of our co-op partner in real time. :)

Me and my Friend are respectively missing out funny parts during the conversation, which the journal doesn't show it in the intended manner.

Like the character I control can speak with animals..and my partner has a hard time figuring out that I am speaking to one.

I know that is how its in DnD, but when ever this happens in the game -> the out of character observer element during conversions is not present and takes out the fun of roleplaying both the player while being an observer at the same time (while remaining in character).

But yes, will try to fix the VoIP communication and see how it plays out. But it would have been nice if it didn't require lot of external communication and the only communication while playing the game was limited to actions or rules defined in the same.

Noaloha

Me and my Friend are respectively missing out funny parts during the conversation, which the journal doesn't show it in the intended manner.

Like the character I control can speak with animals..and my partner has a hard time figuring out that I am speaking to one.

That's strange! It's functioned perfectly fine, if a little clunky, for me in my co-op playthroughs.

Here's a screenshot of my character, without Pet Pal, at the Harbour, following the conversation in real-time between 'Olivia' (Scarlett) and the rooster in the market square. I haven't run into any issues of missing parts of conversations.

ibb4gkLEBhQz0Y.jpg

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
That's strange! It's functioned perfectly fine, if a little clunky, for me in my co-op playthroughs.

Here's a screenshot of my character, without Pet Pal, at the Harbour, following the conversation in real-time between 'Olivia' (Scarlett) and the rooster in the market square. I haven't run into any issues of missing parts of conversations.

Sorry, I didn't explain it properly.

In this case: The rooster itself and the rooster's conversation at the same time, not present onscreen (bluntly).

The journal doesn't describe the scene and doesn't show the conversation at the same time.

I hope they remain independent, no publisher would've given us D:OS.

I think Swen has grown allergic to publishers over the years. So I don't think they would sell out to a publisher any time soon.

But there could be investment funds or business angels buying into Larian, which could give them more financial stability without sacrificing artistic freedom (like they probably would in the pockets of a publisher).

Durante

Wow, the Steam forums for this game are ridiculous.

One guy flagged someone's comment asking for better quest markers as it was "hazardous to the game".
Good.

The price for freedom is eternal vigilance.

Saw Durante's pics in the PC screenshot thead... Now I want this game. Decisions decisions...
You should want it because of its amazing gameplay. I mean, it also looks really nice, but that's secondary.

-Is there any sort of proper questlog? The journal seems a bit vague in it's directions at this point.
There is a proper questlog. It logs what you know about quests. Of course, it doesn't magically know where places or people are, or who the murder culprit is.

-Do objectives have no waypoints on the map or am I missing something? I've had to aimlessly wander to find all objectives so far.
See above. However, you almost never need to "aimlessly wander" -- you just need to pay close attention to what people are saying.

-Do I have to go out of my way to fill out my party or is it just through the main quest?
You have to find the companions, but if you do a decent job exploring the first town that shouldn't be too hard. You do eventually get the ability to hire henchmen through the main story.

-Can I move with WASD? Or can I at least make it to were the camera doesn't go all over the place every damn time I move the mouse?
If you mean edge panning, you can disable it in the options.

-Can I set two weapon sets for a character to switch between, or do I have to go into the menu every time I switch from melee to ranged?
I think you can add weapon sets to the hotbar, but I'm not at the game right now to check.

I'm enjoying it so far, but it's certainly a bit more obtuse than Dragon Age, which I've been playing lately. Any and all noob tips are welcome.
The word you're looking for is "interesting" or "complex", not "obtuse". As for tips, pay attention to what people are saying, explore thoroughly, get pet pal on one character, and if an area has enemies 2+ levels above you there's probably one better suited to you elsewhere (though up to 4 levels difference is doable with the right preparation and strategy).

Grayman

Still early going but tonight things really clicked and I did not want to stop playing. At level 5 with nowhere safe to go I ended up using a bunch of scrolls in the western beach area. After finally getting through the largest fight there I hit level 6 and got to go through a great caved area.

My next session I will probably spend some time getting some new skills and trying out new things. Also a higher level of
lockpick
may help me in the murder investigation.

senahorse

Hahaha, my gf just got us to do an awesome hack (if you can call it that) on the second map in the Initiates questline.

You get to a point where you can go into the basement at the Initiates church. In the forest where you warp there is a cave (I think it was south of where you enter) "underground passage"When you get there you have to do a portal puzzle (ice earth fire etc) and you come into the library. You are presented with 3 skill books but you can only take one. We saved the game and checked each one (reloading after picking it up so we could check the stats of the next). We reached a stalemate but we were going to let me have the lightning book. My gf then said, "what if we both click the books at the exact same time?", I lol'd, that won't work. But anyway we tried, we got our timing right and counted down. "3" "2" "1" CLICK. We checked our inventory, mine was there, and hers was half there, the icon showed up but when she hovered over it nothing displayed. HOWEVER, she was able to right click and learn the spell and then I was able to learn mine

I love her so much :D

FACE

Banned
Very mild spoilers:
Once/if I get the spell that lets me kill Death Knights I'll go back to the mines and kill everyone last one of them.

duckroll

Regarding the issue of Divinity OS being "obtuse", I felt from the first moment I booted it out that it was lacking something that classic CRPGs had, even though it's very similar in design. It took a while for me to really put my finger on it, but I believe the answer is that this is really an example of the sort of game which would be more enjoyable for everyone if it came with a 50-100 page manual. Having something to read on the way home from buying the game, or just while installing it or taking a shit the day after buying it would help a lot.

I'm talking about a real solid proper manual which explains the UI, the shortcuts, the battle rules, has some general tips, and most importantly packed with descriptions of what the various starting classes mean in terms of gameplay, and a list of basic skills and spells available for each of the skill categories, and what they do.

Yes, all this info is technically in the game, and yes you can explore and learn as you play like we all have. That's fine. But I that's the one piece of the old CRPG experience which I feel digital software this day really lacks. Even a digital manual isn't as helpful because you can't really take it with you and just learn more about the game while you're not playing it.

Other than that, the game is really fucking amazing. Lol.

Follywood

Banned
Regarding the issue of Divinity OS being "obtuse", I felt from the first moment I booted it out that it was lacking something that classic CRPGs had, even though it's very similar in design. It took a while for me to really put my finger on it, but I believe the answer is that this is really an example of the sort of game which would be more enjoyable for everyone if it came with a 50-100 page manual. Having something to read on the way home from buying the game, or just while installing it or taking a shit the day after buying it would help a lot.

I could dig that. But I'm actually enjoying the exploration and learning aspect. First time in a long time (since Everquest) have I actually sat down and wanted to figure out all the spells, crafting, etc

Zakalwe

Banned

I'm talking about a real solid proper manual which explains the UI, the shortcuts, the battle rules, has some general tips, and most importantly packed with descriptions of what the various starting classes mean in terms of gameplay, and a list of basic skills and spells available for each of the skill categories, and what they do.

Yes, all this info is technically in the game, and yes you can explore and learn as you play like we all have. That's fine. But I that's the one piece of the old CRPG experience which I feel digital software this day really lacks. Even a digital manual isn't as helpful because you can't really take it with you and just learn more about the game while you're not playing it.

Other than that, the game is really fucking amazing. Lol.

I miss reading manuals on the bus/train/loo/at work, too. It's just not the same getting a digital copy or reading guides online, even if you can do it on your phone or tablet.

I think an update that would fix this feeling that the game can be too vague would be more dialogue cues that tell you that you've made progress. Sometimes if you take a quest out of order it can feel like you're breaking the game to move forward.

We discussed this in depth earlier, but for anyone who didn't read it: - triggering
Theylon
leaving before you speak with him about
Evelyn
, and
Evelyn
not referencing any progress, leaving you to discover and
break into her house

The actual progression of these events is fine, but the fact
Evelyn
doesn't change her dialogue to reference
Theylon
leaving makes it feel like you broke the quest.

I think it currently gives you enough information to find where you need to go, it's good that you need to explore and speak with NPCs to discover information, but sometimes while you're on your way the game will act like you're not.

Just needs a little touching up here and there imo.

duckroll

I could dig that. But I'm actually enjoying the exploration and learning aspect. First time in a long time (since Everquest) have I actually sat down and wanted to figure out all the spells, crafting, etc

Sure, but I think a lot of the satisfaction from that is also discovery of how it actually works in application. I don't think a manual would take away from that. In fact being able to read about what else the game offers would get me even more excited about going around looking for certain skill books for example, or trying out stuff which sounds cool from what's written about it. It's just an aspect of CRPGs which we totally don't have anymore.

I remember the manuals for Quest for Glory games, Fallout, Baldur's Gate, and Blizzard's stuff. Filled with lore and also helpful gameplay aspects. I guess it's the nostalgia getting to me!

Durante

Sure, but I think a lot of the satisfaction from that is also discovery of how it actually works in application. I don't think a manual would take away from that. In fact being able to read about what else the game offers would get me even more excited about going around looking for certain skill books for example, or trying out stuff which sounds cool from what's written about it. It's just an aspect of CRPGs which we totally don't have anymore.
If you have the backer special edition (like all good people) you can at least try the various recipes written on the recipe card deck :p

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
I wonder if many people from here cheesed the second to last boss fight
by teleporting the death princes on the stairs and dealing with them one by one before triggering the main fight

I tried to do it the normal way but it was too hard for my lvl 18 party since
Leandra can summon infinite Death Knights
. Also it didn't help that t
he goddess (can't remember the name) that is friendly to you during the fight only hit my party with useless buffs and tried attacking death knights before I removed the invulnerability from them
The final boss fight was a piece of cake compared to this

Zakalwe

Banned
Could we expect an expansion/more content for D:OS or is it more than likely the base game is it?

I want moar.

Larian said any content would be in the form of an expansion, not trickling DLC. So we might not get content as much or as frequently from them as some other games, but it will likely be quality over quantity.

And then there's the mod tools and steam workshop.

We will be getting new companions soon (August I think), so that would be worth another playthrough.

Ourobolus

Banned
Is there a point in the game when other rooms start opening up in Homestead? I have a couple stones but nothing seems to be open.

I'm in Cyseal and I am still in the middle of the
murder mystery. About to enter Evelyn's lair.
I have two (three?) stones, I think (I'm not at home right now and I just remembered to ask this) -
The one from the murder scene
I pickpocketed a blood stone from Evelyn
I may have one more. Not sure. I feel like I have one more Inert Stone though.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Is there a point in the game when other rooms start opening up in Homestead? I have a couple stones but nothing seems to be open.

I have two (three?) stones, I think (I'm not at home right now and I just remembered to ask this) -

You need to talk to the Imp to start unlocking them

Zakalwe

Banned

The first stone gives you access to the Homestead. This will either be the one
you trip in the room where the murder occured
, or
Evelyn's stone when she heals one of the two dying men

The first one you actually find and use yourself will
unlock the Hall of Heroes
. You have to make sure to
speak with Astarte (she's sitting at the table in the HoH) or Zixzax won't move away from the portal to guide you to the next one

If you can't see the
Hall of Heroes
then you need to finish up dialogue with
Zixzax and the Weaver of time

The word you're looking for is "interesting" or "complex", not "obtuse". As for tips, pay attention to what people are saying, explore thoroughly, get pet pal on one character, and if an area has enemies 2+ levels above you there's probably one better suited to you elsewhere (though up to 4 levels difference is doable with the right preparation and strategy).

One mans interesting and complex is another mans obtuse. This game is going to be like dark souls where the things some players love about it are the things that turn other players off. The way you have to figure stuff out definitely will be too obtuse for many players, that’s why the big budget RPGs have shiny objective markers on the map. I grew up playing BG and find that modern RPGs usually feel dumbed down. So I like the approach that has been taken with D:OS. Unfortunately I have found that they were a little too ambitious with the level of freedom they went for.

Zakalwe

Banned
One mans interesting and complex is another mans obtuse. This game is going to be like dark souls where the things some players love about it are the things that turn other players off. The way you have to figure stuff out definitely will be too obtuse for many players, that’s why the big budget RPGs have shiny objective markers on the map. I grew up playing BG and find that modern RPGs usually feel dumbed down. So I like the approach that has been taken with D:OS. Unfortunately I have found that they were a little too ambitious with the level of freedom they went for.

The only time that parts seem like they don't connect is on occasion where an NPC doesn't reference a change or event they should be aware of. And I've only noticed this happen a couple of times. And even then there are logical places you can go to to continue. Ie:
Evelyn
is a prime suspect, so you might want to check
her locked house

Everything else is there for you to find. It's not hidden, it's not difficult, it simply requires you to pay attention and be thorough.

It's not difficult to understand, but if you don't pay attention to dialogues and overlook a hint, or if you don't like exploring every nook and cranny, then you will have trouble. This is a fault on the player's end though, nothing to do with the game.

I'm aware of that, but I reserve the right to belittle the latter group.

And it's justified here imo, it's player's fault if they don't pay attention to the game.

Shahadan

I don't get how you can be lost in Cyseal if you're paying attention. I've never felt lost or didn't know where to go. There are hints everywhere.

Luculla Forest is another matter, but by the time you reach it you know how to play.

Zakalwe

Banned
I don't get how you can be lost in Cyseal if you're paying attention. I've never felt lost or didn't know where to go. There are hints everywhere.

Luculla Forest is another matter, but by the time you reach it you know how to play.

Exactly.

The Murder Investigation teaches you the way you need to think to progress in the game.

Speak to everyone.
Pay attention to their dialogue.
Explore in detail.
Read books and notes.

If you do all of the above then you shouldn't ever get stuck.

EDIT: Saying that, a friend just pointed out another place where the dialogue cues caused a problem.
He accused Esmaralda and had her arrested
. He says by doing this
she didn't direct him toward Evelyn
, and it didn't trigger the event where
she leaves
. Nothing changed about
Evelyn's dialoge

Now, at this point all he would need to do is explore, break into
Evelyn's house
, and carry on, which is what he actually did. But he said it made him feel like he'd brute forced his way through the quest instead of having it unfold in a satisfying way.

A suggestion to make it more connected would be another simple update to the dialogue. Speaking to
Evelyn
again after having
Esmarelda
arrested, she could comment on the event and your character could remark that something doesn't feel right, or if not that then just something small that shows the game is reacting to your chosen direction.

danthefan

Not sure if I'm going the right way here, around lv 11:

Wandering about Hilberheim (probably spelled that wrong) finding information about Boreas and the WW. Haven't done any of the Immaculate/Troll/Mines stuff yet.

Also, came accross some Immaculates who I had to do rock paper scissors with, can I kill them after winning? Got all the info from them I think, is there a negative to killing them now? Mainly want the XP.

Rip

Wandering about Hilberheim (probably spelled that wrong) finding information about Boreas and the WW. Haven't done any of the Immaculate/Troll/Mines stuff yet.

Also, came accross some Immaculates who I had to do rock paper scissors with, can I kill them after winning? Got all the info from them I think, is there a negative to killing them now? Mainly want the XP.

You are on the right path! Also go for it.

Shahadan

You're doing it right !
On both fronts I might add, since I did the same for mostly every single immaculate in the game :lol:

They deserve it.

huxley00

I think I finally warmed up to the world a bit, the whimsical nature really annoyed me at first, but I think I really hit my stride with it in
The Faerie area with the snowmen wardens, the criminals are funny and the snowmen are pretty hilarious. I love the whole area, so well done. I think the game falls a bit flat when its trying to be serious and funny at the same time, this area really does a good job of not taking itself too seriously and being over the top and humorous,

I put in about 25 hours so far, decided to start over as a rogue/wizard combo and try to roleplay the characters a bit more (my girlfriend and her sister are the heroes, forever bickering lol). Fun times

I think you’re all a little closed minded! I can totally understand how someone could really enjoy the combat in this game but have no interest in exploring the town and interacting with NPCs. They may be perfectly capable of the later but just not find it enjoyable, in which case they would prefer to have a big arrow on the map. Confession time: I have zero interest in crafting, I have not crafted once, not even bread! Its not because I can't cope with the immense complexity of it, it’s because I derive no enjoyment from the process. Fortunately for me crafting is not an aspect of the game that you have to engage in to progress (so far).

Kakalwe: IRL sure, check the suspects house. In an RPG there is no reason to think that an NPC is going to have a house so no reason to look for it. But either way I would not use that as an example of the game being obtuse by design because it's clear that the route I took through the game was not accounted for by the designers.

marrec

Banned
Finally was able to play more last night on stream (it's been about a week, a long suffering week) and it was so good. My co-op partner decided to start a fight that I was SURE we would end up losing and when I asked him if he'd saved before the fight he told me he hadn't... then proceeded to quicksave in the middle of the fight.

I was sure we'd end up having to flee or load a save from hours ago but low and behold we pulled it out somehow. The elemental interactions always make for an interesting battle, especially when the enemies you're stabbing bleed elements (like poison). Teleporting a zombie dog who bleeds poison onto a fiery bit of land and watching it explode into zombie dog parts never gets old. Doing that right next to an Explososkeleton was quite ill-advised however.

Also the twin pillar dungeon puzzle was odd and I'm still not quite sure how we solved it but we did so whatever.

Sentenza

I think you’re all a little closed minded! I can totally understand how someone could really enjoy the combat in this game but have no interest in exploring the town and interacting with NPCs. They may be perfectly capable of the later but just not find it enjoyable
But that would be just their problem. Not something that should be pointed as a flaw in design.

, in which case they would prefer to have a big arrow on the map.
But the "big arrow" isn't just an option, it's somethign that actively influences (read: ruins) the quest design, giving away solutions and directions where there should be just hints and suggestions.

Confession time: I have zero interest in crafting, I have not crafted once, not even bread! Its not because I can't cope with the immense complexity of it, it’s because I derive no enjoyment from the process.
Ok?

Zakalwe

Banned
I think you’re all a little closed minded! I can totally understand how someone could really enjoy the combat in this game but have no interest in exploring the town and interacting with NPCs. They may be perfectly capable of the later but just not find it enjoyable, in which case they would prefer to have a big arrow on the map. Confession time: I have zero interest in crafting, I have not crafted once, not even bread! Its not because I can't cope with the immense complexity of it, it’s because I derive no enjoyment from the process. Fortunately for me crafting is not an aspect of the game that you have to engage in to progress (so far).

This game isn't there to cater for the people who can't be bothered. And it shouldn't, or it would lose a massive part of what makes it so unique.

Crafting is optional, so is blacksmithing, lockpicking, etc... but paying attention and exploring isn't, the two things you need to do to get the most out of all of these systems and what makes them so rewarding.

Kakalwe: IRL sure, check the suspects house. In an RPG there is no reason to think that an NPC is going to have a house so no reason to look for it. But either way I would not use that as an example of the game being obtuse by design because it's clear that the route I took through the game was not accounted for by the designers.

You're missing the point.

It's not that you should automatically know she has a house, but that you should explore everywhere and FIND the house.

It isn't hidden, it's right there in the open.

And we've had this discussion, all we need to connect the dots is a tiny update to the dialgoue. But really, that would just make the process more satisfying. Even without that you should be exploring and paying attention, then you wouldn't be stuck because you'd have found the house and you would check the house.

So again, the main fault here is the fact you didn't explore in enough detail, something the game actively teaches you you need to do in the very first quest.

Top Bottom