• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

mkenyon

Banned
Witchcraft, school of all the secretly most useful spells.
So true.

It doesn't look at that great when you compare it to combo status effects and huge damage, but when you drain the willpower out of a mage, then blind it, they become easy prey. So many good spells in Witchcraft.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm going to respec my Stabby McStabberson to Scoundrel/Witchcraft. Marksmanship has just been underwhelming, although I do enjoy being able to charm two targets.

Does anyone use the Guerilla/Sneak 5 build and do I absolutely need Sneak 5? Considering giving it a shot but it's so expensive stats wise.

Decado

Do you guys find that glass cannon makes your character a target? Thinking about giving it to my battle warlock so he can debuff/buff twice in 1 round.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Do you guys find that glass cannon makes your character a target? Thinking about giving it to my battle warlock so he can debuff/buff twice in 1 round.

Glass Cannon is absolutely essential for spell casters and rangers. The HP loss really isn't that bad.

Animator

Glass Cannon is absolutely essential for spell casters and rangers. The HP loss really isn't that bad.

Can you remind me what glass cannon does again?

Also if I get pet talk ability for Jahan or Madora will the animals give you the "who the hell are you let me talk to your master!" crap like npc's do?

Instro

Eh. I disagree.
If a developer puts enough effort and expertise into a mod to consider it worthy of being a paid content AND if Larian is willing to support it, I'm fine with a mod being sold.
Of course, at that point it will be at my discretion to decide if I, too, feel like that content is worth paying money for.

Agree. The mod would need to be very impressive, but I don't see anything wrong with them getting some money if they put that much work into it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Also if I get pet talk ability for Jahan or Madora will the animals give you the "who the hell are you let me talk to your master!" crap like npc's do?

You get an extra 50% AP every turn after your first at the expense of some life.

tm24

Glass cannon doubles your AP turn recovery at the cost of 50% your health. This can be sllighty overcome by a leadership bonus that gives you 15% health back taking it down to -35% health. Further protection can be had by having stench on glass cannon characters to mitigate attack chances

Noaloha

Glass Cannon doubles AP generation and halves HP. By extension it greatly increases the value of CON for non-tanks in survivability and especially for upping your AP pool.

I'm not sure the Pet Pal ability's even an option for companions.

komplanen

Enjoying the game so much. Playing on hard from the start. No idea if it's actually harder or not but I love it. I wish though that I could maybe farm a little. Still in the first area.

Chaos17

Enjoying the game so much. Playing on hard from the start. No idea if it's actually harder or not but I love it. I wish though that I could maybe farm a little. Still in the first area.

Don't worry, you will outlevel the last boss with all the exp you will get from all those fights.

Animator

I have nothing but respect for those of you who can play this on normal/hard. I switched to easy and still getting my ass kicked every other fight.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I kinda wish I started on hard/extreme. After you get a decent mage AOE spell you can start every encounter in your favor with just a massive firewall.

Labadal

You know that fight where you get completely annihilated 3/4 times in a row and then cruise through? I had one of those today. Couldn't survive the 3/4 first times, didn't have to use any potions on my successful try. Using the environments and teleport pyramids were really helpful. Madora is no carrying a couple of barrles with her everywhere.

I have nothing but respect for those of you who can play this on normal/hard. I switched to easy and still getting my ass kicked every other fight.

Use warriors and mages. I've found Dex characters to be pointless. Utility is meaningless when the other team gets one(Usually half) round obliterated.

The whole Rage+Oath thing comes with an annoying bug. Rage is supposed to be 1ap, but yet the tooltip says 4 and it costs 4. It's very annoying. Not sure if that bug was in early access. The book you learn it from says 1ap though, and if you drop it and relearn it, it's still 4. The real fun is Oath+Rage+Bless+Power Stance and then auto attack for the lulz. Know that priest you guys were talking about? I decimated him and his entourage with one whirlwind since they are all clustered up.

-MD-

I kinda wish I started on hard/extreme. After you get a decent mage AOE spell you can start every encounter in your favor with just a massive firewall.

The game started off tough on normal but once I hit level 5 I just run through everything. I'm level 9 now and it's starting to become a joke.

If I do another playthrough I'm definitely gonna bump it up. Also, I feel like my rogue is extremely underpowered and my mages are overpowered even though all the gear I buy goes straight to my rogue.

mkenyon

Banned
It's worth starting over for. If it weren't this hard, I think I'd lose interest. Every big fight is like a puzzle.

Nete

EIHaTtK.png

Done. Entirely played with a friend. He as a 2h Knight rerolled to archer at midgame, me a lonewolf-glasscanon wizard demigod. One of the best cRPG I've played in a looooong, long time, and right now my GOTY without any doubt.

Looking forward to what Larian will do next, and what the modders will unleash with this engine and editor.

Ourobolus

Banned
Sweet, I beat
Evelyn
! I got lucky with a spawn and poison cloud arrow'd the entire group, then teleported one Ram on top of the other, exploding both and dealing damage to the rest. Simple crowd control held the rest of the fight, even though I didn't have the "kill summon" skill.

You know that fight where you get completely annihilated 3/4 times in a row and then cruise through? I had one of those today. Couldn't survive the 3/4 first times, didn't have to use any potions on my successful try. Using the environments and teleport pyramids were really helpful. Madora is no carrying a couple of barrles with her everywhere.

This happened a lot earlier on, but now, firmly in the mid-game, I've been cruuuising through battles with zero trouble. I'm actually hoping it ramps up in difficulty a bit.

komplanen

Like I said I have absolutely no idea how the game is on easy or normal but hard isn't... Well, look, hard is hard. But it isn't like some crazy horrible nightmare slaughter mode. Most "big" fights require me to try two or three times but usually there's some lesson to be learned from every single one of them so the final try that succeeds is an awesome accomplishment.

Just now I killed the fire twin dude and I actually feel like I didn't just kill some dude but I won a battle of wits. Though I guess it was harder than it was supposed to because my second hero is mostly fire spells :p Can't wait to get to rerolling both my main characters.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Fun fact: Remove invulnerability applies to ANYTHING with invincible buff. Including sentinels.

Animator

Thanks for the tip Duckroll regarding the priest. Went back to that area after leveling up and kicked their fucking asses. It felt so good. :D

Quick questions.

1. Can I improve the a single weapon multiple times? i.e. add tenebrium to an axe, then whetstone it for the dmg boost, then tormented soul it to get +str? Or does each improvement overwrite the previous?

2. Is the lvl cap not 20?

duckroll

I finished up with all the Hunter's Edge stuff today, including the big climax quest which was -very- buggy. Without spoiling anything, I'll say that if you're doing the Hunter's Edge stuff and you feel you're getting to a point where you're going to trigger a major event, start using a lot of multiple saves so you can roll back if something goes wrong. And by wrong I mean, the game's detection system flagging the wrong stuff.

I'll go into more details with spoiler tags.

It seemed to be really easy to make the game accidentally flag -everyone- in the town as hostile during combat. I had it happen a few times and had to roll back. Based on some experimentation, I think the detection script fucks up if your party gets involved in combat before all the NPCs in the immediate area do. For example, if a bunch of tribesmen are running towards the next combat point to fight, if your party runs ahead first and triggers the encounter before they get there, everyone is likely to be hostile for whatever reason. But if I let them run ahead first and get into combat "position" (with the red ! over their heads), before joining in, all the non-orcs remain allies in the combat scenario.

It was pretty annoying at first when it happened twice, but otherwise, that was a really fantastic conclusion for the area quest line. Reminded me a lot of some of the stuff I did in Fallout 2, especially in New Reno lol.

Instro

Quick questions.

1. Can I improve the a single weapon multiple times? i.e. add tenebrium to an axe, then whetstone it for the dmg boost, then tormented soul it to get +str? Or does each improvement overwrite the previous?

2. Is the lvl cap not 20?

There's a limited amount of XP so I think 20 is the soft cap.

Divinity is on my WB drive too. Windows is on a SSD. It takes ~10 seconds for me too. No way it takes 2 minutes to load anything. Very strange.

Yeah I have the same setup, haven't had any loading time issues.

The only long load time for me is the initial one when I start the game. Other than that it never takes more than 10 secs to load anything.

I also have Divinity on a WB Black.

Exuro

Divinity is on my WB drive too. Windows is on a SSD. It takes ~10 seconds for me too. No way it takes 2 minutes to load anything. Very strange.
Yeah idk. I moved it back to the SSD(I was having weird saving issues before) and now I'm getting 30 second initial loads and 15 second reloads. Much better.

Top Bottom