• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Animator

Ok, I'm picking up this game on Thursday. It sounds like from reading this thread that this is some special game, so I gotta go all-in. Am I making the right choice GAF? If so, then if possible list one experience you've had in the game that can make me more excited about my impending play experience! :D

It is as good as Baldurs Gate 2 in the 8 hours I spent in it so far.

"Ok, I'm picking up this game on Thursday. It sounds like from reading this thread that this is some special game, so I gotta go all-in. Am I making the right choice GAF? If so, then if possible list one experience you've had in the game that can make me more excited about my impending play experience! :D"

Just fukkin buy it.

Amir0x

Banned
"Ok, I'm picking up this game on Thursday. It sounds like from reading this thread that this is some special game, so I gotta go all-in. Am I making the right choice GAF? If so, then if possible list one experience you've had in the game that can make me more excited about my impending play experience! :D"

Just fukkin buy it.

I said I am! I'm just excited and want to get even more excited before I can get it on Thursday, and this sounds like the type of game that creates lots of unique emergent experiences if you're creative enough with your approach :D

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Ok, I'm picking up this game on Thursday. It sounds like from reading this thread that this is some special game, so I gotta go all-in. Am I making the right choice GAF? If so, then if possible list one experience you've had in the game that can make me more excited about my impending play experience! :D

62 hours in and nearing in on the end. Most definitely my GoTY and one of my favorite RPGs in recent years. I haven't been able to play a game for hours and hours on end for a very long time. The combat is incredibly fun and has many possibilities to tinker around with.

It's a very easy game to get immersed into.

Guys I think I'm going to cry, is my game broken? I found a list of blood-/starstones here: http://guides.gamepressure.com/divinityoriginalsin/guide.asp?ID=25142. I definitely didn't get a stone from The Rex, nor did I get one from The Twins by Fire Conjoined... What gives.

I'm pretty sure those stones are used right away. At least the one from Rex is. And the other one is on the ground around there somewhere, iirc. I don't think you get them from their bodies. Go back to those places and look for inert stones.

mkenyon

Banned
It is as good as Baldurs Gate 2 in the 8 hours I spent in it so far.
I think it's better.

I love 3.5 DnD lots. Spent countless hours playing the real thing. I always had trouble getting in to any of the classic cRPGs though. This combat system though, is sooooooooo good.

Some clever writing and funny items too.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Make sure you're picking up the 'Inert stones', those are what you need.

You don't need the inert stones, they are only there to keep track.

Is there a location/chest I can stockpile items I want to keep but not carry with me?

You unlock a room with a storage chest in the shelter eventually.

DMiz

The length of battles is getting a bit ridiculous...

I think the worst that can happen is when an enemy literally does nothing during their turn and proceeds to stand there for ~1-3 minutes while you wait for the turn marker to move.

A testament to the amount of thinking that it's probably doing to get around all the environmental stuff I've spilled at its feet, but still.

Exuro

Is there an issue with quick/auto saving? I just won the game from the steam thread but I can only seem to successfully manual save the game, while the other two saves give me the 502 and 504 error codes.

edit:ugh manual saves arent working either now. >_>

9398E767693F8AA947550AAD0D0A0EEC49B5511F

SRG01

So is crafting and blacksmithing worth it? 20 hrs in or so and about to leave the first town. Outside of combining healing potions and sticking special arrow heads on shafts I have done zero crafting. Running with 2 mages, 1 ranger and 1 fighter.

Yes, especially when you can craft a 200+ damage bow.

I think the worst that can happen is when an enemy literally does nothing during their turn and proceeds to stand there for ~1-3 minutes while you wait for the turn marker to move.

A testament to the amount of thinking that it's probably doing to get around all the environmental stuff I've spilled at its feet, but still.

This has honestly never happened to me. I'm playing on an older computer with the GOG version, and the computer always passes its turn if it can't find something to do for 20-30 seconds.

DMiz

Is there an issue with quick/auto saving? I just won the game from the steam thread but I can only seem to successfully manual save the game, while the other two saves give me the 502 and 504 error codes.

Not that I've noticed...? I've been Quick-Saving for most of the game and haven't run into that issue yet, anyway.

This has honestly never happened to me. I'm playing on an older computer with the GOG version, and the computer always passes its turn if it can't find something to do for 20-30 seconds.

I've only noticed this in the later areas, and typically only with uniques (the guys with golden accent bars around their health meters). Maybe it's because they have more tactics to run through? It definitely did not happen in the earlier parts of the game, although
Braccus
sometimes does seem to stall...

SRG01

I've only noticed this in the later areas, and typically only with uniques (the guys with golden accent bars around their health meters). Maybe it's because they have more tactics to run through? It definitely did not happen in the earlier parts of the game, although
Braccus
sometimes does seem to stall...

Huh, that's odd. Then again, I've ran into zero issues with this game, so maybe I'm the exception to the rule...

Also:

Anyone got tips for (late game enemies)
Death Knights? Having a cool down on that spell that removes their invincibility is kinda bullshit. They hit like trucks and have lots of DPS.

The trick
is to try and engage them one by one. They're easily stun-locked so give that a try. If you get cornered with three of them, then try summoning a few guys to help you out. At this point, your caster's summons should have a cooldown of one turn.

Also, get Void damage and upgrade your weapons ASAP. Craft if you need to, since late-game crafting is quite gamebreaking.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

edit:ugh manual saves arent working either now. >_>

I'm playing with a friend, and sometimes when he quicksaves it crashes his game. Not sure what's causing it, but we've started to just avoid quicksaving. Instead he just uses the conventional saving.

Exuro

I'm playing with a friend, and sometimes when he quicksaves it crashes his game. Not sure what's causing it, but we've started to just avoid quicksaving. Instead he just uses the conventional saving.
I'd be fine with that but none of the saving seems to work.

tm24

Beat the game earlier today. Running Madora with 100% res in the 4 elements is nothing but plain hilarious. Couple with a rogue with a bow, +6 sneaking and guerilla and things die so hard. Had so much AP to burn and store. 2 of my characters had so much AP that it went past the UI. Was hilarious.

Loved this game and now gonna tackle another CRPG. It seems that BG2EE is in my library somehow. Seems like a good place to go

SRG01

Beat the game earlier today. Running Madora with 100% res in the 4 elements is nothing but plain hilarious. Couple with a rogue with a bow, +6 sneaking and guerilla and things die so hard. Had so much AP to burn and store. 2 of my characters had so much AP that it went past the UI. Was hilarious.

Loved this game and now gonna tackle another CRPG. It seems that BG2EE is in my library somehow. Seems like a good place to go

Why would you need +6 sneaking?

Just read the thread.

Animator

How the fuck do I beat this asshole priest and his friends you meet right after the trials for the church? I am getting my shit pushed in no matter what I try. :(

tm24

Why would you need +6 sneaking?

It just happened. +1 from the trait, +1 from void essence on chest, +1 on helm, +1 on boots and 2 base. Trust me, being able to sneak at point blank range is kind of hilarious and does so much dmg

Got to 7 tenebrium on madora 2 haha

Brakke

Banned
How the fuck do I beat this asshole priest and his friends you meet right after the trials for the church? I am getting my shit pushed in no matter what I try. :(

I just came here to report in; I got real confused about Luculla, definitely have no clue how to get to the witch, ended up doing this and facing down the priest guy at level 10 vs his crew of 5 level 13 bros. Shit was brutal, I only just managed to scrape through thanks to liberal use of level-10-required spells. Got a good first round, dropped a Spill Ooze, poisoned everyone, then dropped rain and electricity, managed to stun a couple, got a few good crits... Took me two Rez scrolls but it was a blast. His bros seem vulnerable to crowd-control abilities, always had at least one stunned or downed. Definitely control one or two and rushdown the others one at a time.

Feelin' great after the battle, too: they make it rain Star/Bloodstones on ya (one star from the fight, two blood as rewards). I used the one bloodstone for the quest near town and just ate the other one, finally unlocked my respec and got 3/4 elemental merchants.

Feeling like I just got a bunch of momentum after that except... now I have exactly no clue where to go... haven't the foggiest where that "this guy can break the witch's spell" dude is hanging out.

duckroll

I have a really funny to share with regards to that.
When the asshole was all confused about how I was cured of rot, he said he would be "right back". Instead of standing there, I followed him as he unlocked the door to the portal room, and we ran up, activated the Waypoint, and teleported back to town. From that point, I went on to do other quests and complete other quest routes until I was 2-3 levels stronger, before teleporting back to that Waypoint inside the trials, and setting up an ambush before approaching the fuckers from behind. Yes, they were STILL waiting for me there. Lolololol.

yuraya

You can always exit out the cave via that swtich and come back to fight them when you are higher level. Those
Immaculate guys are very vulnerable to fire, poison, and knockdown earth damage. Poison being biggest I think. So just drop boulders on them, shoot them with poison arrows and lite em on fire. Make sure to kill Loic first because he heals himself a lot and has some crazy attack that dishes out thousands of damage. After killing Loic the rest are easy they don't do much other than freeze and stun you.

Chaos17

I hope this will NEVER happen for Divinity or any games : Mods for sale, with official support ?

Mods should stay free so everyone could enjoy them .
Mods should stay free because I would get upset to have paid for something that would get (or being) unsuported (meaning there's chance that the bugs won't be fiwex or improvements won't be done or worse no compatibility bewtween mods). Having already (generally speaking) an offcial studio to stop supporting/improve a game is enough frustrating.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
I hope this will NEVER happen for Divinity or any games : Mods for sale, with official support ?

Mods should stay free because I would get upset to have paid for something that would get (or being) unsuported (meaning there's chance that the bugs won't be fiwex or improvements won't be done or worse no compatibility bewtween mods). Having already (generally speaking) an offcial studio to stop supporting/improve a game is enough frustrating.

For a game like Divinity Original Sin, Larian will be extremely wary. Both in deciding to go in this route or saying 'Yes' to having a mod approved to be an addition to the game, mostly because this game has a different kind of following (compared to the usual crowd) and players will actually either expect or invest time to check this out.

Those looking to make profit from this will be frowned upon, while those trying to live throughout the process of making the mods will be heavily appreciated.

Sentenza

Eh. I disagree.
If a developer puts enough effort and expertise into a mod to consider it worthy of being a paid content AND if Larian is willing to support it, I'm fine with a mod being sold.
Of course, at that point it will be at my discretion to decide if I, too, feel like that content is worth paying money for.

Durante

Eh. I disagree.
If a developer puts enough effort and expertise into a mod to consider it worthy of being a paid content AND if Larian is willing to support it, I'm fine with a mod being sold.
Of course, at that point it will be at my discretion to decide if I, too, feel like that content is worth paying money for.
Yeah, I agree with this.

Zakalwe

Banned
Eh. I disagree.

Agreed.

-

That priest fight, if you're not ready for it it's brutal. I hadn't set my characters up well beforehand. That was the fight that made me go back and reasses my set up. Ouch.

Okay, how the hell do I reach Evelyn's secret hideout? I have the reveal spell but I can't see any way of getting to the beach, I'm in the right area as I've done the lighthouse and the element puzzle but for the life of me I can't see a way to the beach.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Eh. I disagree.

Yea if a project is of a high enough quality (new enemies, spells, environment tilesets) then I see no reason why they can't monetize it.

Okay, how the hell do I reach Evelyn's secret hideout? I have the reveal spell but I can't see any way of getting to the beach, I'm in the right area as I've done the lighthouse and the element puzzle but for the life of me I can't see a way to the beach.

There is a cave guarded by a bunch of undead. Keep following the cliff that overlooks the beach that you want to travel too. You will eventually find it.

Ourobolus

Banned
I'm Level 6 and
Evelyn
is kicking my ass. I realized that if I poison the dogs they explode soon after, and then I cool the area down with rain and try to keep everything either slowed or frozen as I whittle away. I just have been getting really unlucky with triggering the status effects. :(

Dario ff

Banned

The modders are the one who benefit the most from something like that, given that they set a good bar for what amount of quality/effort should be in the mod before crossing into paid content. If they give them an official avenue to do it, they'll even have more motivation to do more high quality content.

Noaloha

Okay, how the hell do I reach
Evelyn's
secret hideout? I have the reveal spell but I can't see any way of getting to the beach, I'm in the right area as I've done the lighthouse and the element puzzle but for the life of me I can't see a way to the beach.
You reach
Evelyn's
hideout, on the north-west beach, by finding a
cave entrance to the north of town. It's close to a shallow river crossing.

I'm Level 6 and
Evelyn
is kicking my ass. I realized that if I poison the dogs they explode soon after, and then I cool the area down with rain and try to keep everything either slowed or frozen as I whittle away. I just have been getting really unlucky with triggering the status effects. :(

Having a destroy summon scroll/spell can be useful in getting rid of the skeleton that the lieutenant summons.

Animator

I have a really funny to share with regards to that.
When the asshole was all confused about how I was cured of rot, he said he would be "right back". Instead of standing there, I followed him as he unlocked the door to the portal room, and we ran up, activated the Waypoint, and teleported back to town. From that point, I went on to do other quests and complete other quest routes until I was 2-3 levels stronger, before teleporting back to that Waypoint inside the trials, and setting up an ambush before approaching the fuckers from behind. Yes, they were STILL waiting for me there. Lolololol.

I think I will do that.

You can just go into that room he is at and put some serious damage on him before he aggroes and you only fight him but afterwards your characters are all "why did we kill that innocent man!" and you miss out on the xp you get from killing the people he summons.

Igo

Where do daggers max out stats wise? Dex drops are pretty non-existent for me, and when I get them they're always shit. Need to know what I should keep when I see it.

Shouta

Got up to the boss in that burning area in my restart using two Lone Wolf chars. That's a little annoying of a fight without summons unless you use a lot of fire resistance stuff. They hit like trucks. Took me a few tries to get it done and beat that dumb idol in the back too.

On the bright side, the fight got me another legendary dagger which bumped my Scoundrel damage up to 80-120, lol. He basically melts anything in the first area with backstabs.

Top Bottom