• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

JambiBum

Is it worth putting points into telekinesis? It sounds like it could be fun but I haven't spent enough time with the game.

It is if you are playing with a partner and not the AI. Let me explain why.

There's a basement in one of the houses that has a secret room. You can see the room but the switch to get into it is hidden. My friend and I couldn't find the switch so we had given up hope on getting in the room. Before we left I got an idea. Why not try to use telekinesis to lift my friend over the wall and put him on the other side? I lifted him and threw him over the wall. He ran around gathering the loot and then opened the door from the other side. As we were walking out of the room we noticed the switch and laughed.

nbthedude

Can someone provide a bit more detail about how coop works in a turn based top down RPG? Are the characters free to move about? Stuck to same screen? How many players? How is progression saved? Etc.

Zukuu

Banned
Lone Wolf seems to have changed... I've just checked it ingame, it says base vitality +70%, +2 max AP and +2 AP per turn. Seems it got nerfed by reducing the vitality bonus by flat 10% and they removed the additional starting AP

Adnor

Banned
Can someone provide a bit more detail about how coop works in a turn based top down RPG? Are the characters free to move about? Stuck to same screen? How many players? How is progression saved? Etc.

You have to be on the same map, but the maps are gigantic. The dungeons and the town are on the same map. When combat start you both get in combat IF you're close, if you're too far for the fight you stay on real time movement while your partner fights. Your friend can even wait for you to enter the fight, even if you're on the other side of the map.
Two player coop in the main campaign but can be modded to 4 player coop.
The saves stay on the PC of the host, you enter their game.

This is REALLY disheartening... No Personality is a HUGE downgrade for the experience. That should have been a BIG, BIG priority. Only two companions (both of which have the most common classes) is also a huge bummer. I'm set on playing Warrior + Mage as my hero pair, but now I'm FORCED to forfeit that plan or make a double 'Lone Wolf' run... If I wouldn't be so hyped, I would wait a few patches, but the wait is already consuming me, so I' play nonetheless. >_< Still, I'm very disappointed by Larian.

I agree on both counts. So just to be clear when the game releases there will be no AI personality choices and only 2 henchmen available?

If that is the case I might wait a week or two before diving in and hope for an update patch. Really really bummed tbh.

Zukuu

Banned
I agree on both counts. So just to be clear when the game releases there will be no AI personality choices and only 2 henchmen available?

If that is the case I might wait a week or two before diving in and hope for an update patch. Really really bummed tbh.
There will be two AI personalities: Random and Loyal (which might as well be no personality, since you can just disable the feature from the get go to get the very same effect). There will be two COMPANIONS (that have names, a story, dialogue, a background, quests etc - a knight and a mage) and a few HENCHMEN (which are basically mindless soldiers for hire).

~Kinggi~

Banned
Just focus on the fact that the game is gonna be huge and great and you're only really bummed cause Larian was more open than usual about letting people know planned features.

VandalD

I'm set on playing Warrior + Mage as my hero pair, but now I'm FORCED to forfeit that plan or make a double 'Lone Wolf' run... If I wouldn't be so hyped, I would wait a few patches, but the wait is already consuming me, so I' play nonetheless. >_< Still, I'm very disappointed by Larian.
I'd bet it'll be really easy to change both companions to a basic rogue or ranger build with a mod. Might not fit their personality, but I'm sure it's possible for gameplay's sake. How would going double Lone Wolf solve that problem anyway? You'd still have just a warrior and a mage. Got something against class redundancy I guess?

No actual personalities is a bit of a bummer, but I was probably just going to have my partner agree with me in solo play anyway so I could see what I missed while in co-op.

Rizzi

So I played the build that's available right now.
Seems pretty cool. The environmental stuff you can use in combat especially.

Corpekata

Banned
I can live with random or loyal. Companions irks me a bit more. But I'm too eager to get into the overall game to let those things deter me. Might give me reason to play again.

Ceebs

Does anyone know if EXP works like D&D where it is split based on party size? Meaning you get a bigger share of the encounter exp in a smaller party?

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I posted it in the OT, but just as a reminder, the Kickstarter CE's have not shipped yet. So don't expect them by the 30th.

ZoddGutts

Really? I currently have a i5 4670K with a 460ti and the game runs it at between 35fps~45fps. With every at max settings in 1080p. What's your CPU?

There will be two AI personalities: Random and Loyal (which might as well be no personality, since you can just disable the feature from the get go to get the very same effect). There will be two COMPANIONS (that have names, a story, dialogue, a background, quests etc - a knight and a mage) and a few HENCHMEN (which are basically mindless soldiers for hire).

Gotcha, still disappointing on both counts. I appreciate Larian being up front about it but still not ideal. I guess I will keep an eye on things and see when the scheduled patch to flesh out some of the systems is scheduled to drop.

I usually only play through large RPGs once so I have to wait two weeks to get my ideal experience I'd be willing to do so.

Echoplx

Really? I currently have a i5 4670K with a 460ti and the game runs it at between 35fps~45fps. With every at max settings in 1080p. What's your CPU?

Ignore what I just said actually, game was running at 1440p not 1080p. Whoops.

At max I'm getting ~80 FPS now.

My CPU is an i7 860.

Zakalwe

Banned
So, if we're only going to get the two companions, those of us who have played and know their classes, dos this effect the classes you're going to choose at the start?

The AI stuff doesn't really bother me as I didn't know much about it before I heard it was delayed, but the companion stuff is a little off-putting.

Especially as they said future patches and content updated may not work with current game saves.

Still super hyped, though, and doubt I'll be able to resist starting on Monday.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
If you opted for a non-Steam / DRM free DVD, it might even take a few weeks before you get those.

I was under the impression all the physical releases were.

Gotcha, still disappointing on both counts. I appreciate Larian being up front about it but still not ideal. I guess I will keep an eye on things and see when the scheduled patch to flesh out some of the systems is scheduled to drop.

I usually only play through large RPGs once so I have to wait two weeks to get my ideal experience I'd be willing to do so.

A bit longer than that I would assume. Larian is going on vacation for a bit after D:OS ships.

So, if we're only going to get the two companions, those of us who have played and know their classes, dos this effect the classes you're going to choose at the start?

In my case, not really. I planned on a magic and thief combination, especially for my first run. It is probably a disappointment for those who wanted to roll a combination of warrior and magic, picking up a thief later on.

Chaos17

I played the game a little with my friend and we were really suprised by the game. We didn't expected it to be good, so we were really pleased. It's hard to not continue the beta...

Only 2 more days to go~

Corpekata

Banned
Looks like the Steam Achievements are live, which I don't think were there a few hours ago.

C'mon Larian, you know you wanna release it early.

Moff

for me it does, I'll make one of the mains a rogue, because we get warrior/wizard companions. but it probably wont be such a big deal.

RK9039

Nope, I'm going for Ranger+Cleric. I'm not really that fussed about personalities and companions, plus I'm sure people will make mods to address those things anyway.

From that Larian topic link on the previous page:
You know, before answering the other question, there's something I want to say here which I think is important . A game is not a feature list. I look at D:OS and I can't believe how much we put in there - it's 5X the game we originally planned and I'm very proud of what my team accomplished with the few resources we had. What I'm the proudest of however that each feature that's there has sense, and isn't just something for the back of the box.

Whenever it came to deciding where we'd put our effort, we always prioritised according to what we thought would be the best for the game experience. If an existing area needed an extra iteration to make it more fun, we preferred that than just adding a region for the sake of quantity or feature boxes. It's a lot easier to make large boring areas than fun ones. If it came the improving the quality or importance of certain features in the game(e.g. perception or charisma) we preferred that over adding new things. Obviously that means that resources are used in a more focussed manner, but I think it benefited the game experience tremendously.

That said, we planned on 4 companions - 2 more will be added once we've taken some fresh air. The AI personalities are going to pop up when they're done which I expect to be fairly soon. As for the dungeons, that's really a non issue. The size and especially density of the world and dungeons that are there largely compensate. This was supposed to be a 40 hour game, it easily is a 60 to 100 hour game

Easily a 100 hour game, that's all I wanted to know.

Zakalwe

Banned
In my case, not really. I planned on a magic and thief combination, especially for my first run. It is probably a disappointment for those who wanted to roll a combination of warrior and magic, picking up a thief later on.

See, I wanted a Knight and Ranger combo, but after playing the Beta I'm not sure a Knight and Warrior combo is getting the most out of the party.

I might just run it anyway, but I'd have liked to be able to pick up a Wayfarer . Hopefully there will be a henchman for that, but I'll miss the companion dialogues.

Since the game is classless, not really :p

Stop being tricky! :p

I may mess around with my Knight a little and make him a Paladin type with some secondary heals, while my Warrior companion acts as my main melee. So you may be on to something...

for me it does, I'll make one of the mains a rogue, because we get warrior/wizard companions. but it probably wont be such a big deal.

Yeh, I'm sure I'll hardly notice it once my game is underway. The only thing that bothered me in the beta when using a Knight + Warrior was the lack of variety in the skillsets, but my party felt competent.

Easily a 100 hour game, that's all I wanted to know.

Well, I hope so! I have faith, and from what I've seen this game is set to be amazing. The way he put it definitely gives confidence, and I have no doubt they'll support this game.

As long as the quality remains consistent I'll be set, content updates in the future will make multiple playthroughs even better anyway!

Terra_Ex

Certain features not being in at release doesn't really bother me too much (in this particular scenario) as I don't look at D:OS as a once and done game that I'll uninstall after completing. Based on what I've seen and the potential of the editor/modding there's scope here for more layers of content to being continually added into the main campaign (and brand new campaigns) to enrich the experience. I expect my first playthrough will be a great experience and subsequent runs with the new companions and mods even moreso.

Try not to get disheartened by it, you can see the effort that's gone into this game and if something hasn't made the cut for release, there's a reason for it; more AI personalities and companions are coming, as for dungeons, the community will waste no time in creating more of those. Even in their early videos, Larian have been keen to add more content and keep supporting D:OS well after release, providing it does well. Nothing to be overly concerned with imo, still very excited about the full release and I hope it goes well for them.

fanboi

Banned
Question time!

Is it Steam Cloud save?

If I play the beta now, can I continue on that save when they release the game on monday?

matmanx1

When I started up the game this morning Steam downloaded an entirely new copy for some reason. The whole 7+ GB's. Is that normal?

Eusis

Since the game is classless, not really :p
So it's more like Demon's Souls or Dark Souls then where you pick what you want to know early on and go with that? Or more like a hybrid of Fallout and the Souls games in that you can pick some unique quirks for characters (haven't poked TOO heavily in the starting customization) but can mostly do whatever else beyond your starting template?

Sentenza

So it's more like Demon's Souls or Dark Souls then where you pick what you want to know early on and go with that? Or more like a hybrid of Fallout and the Souls games in that you can pick some unique quirks for characters (haven't poked TOO heavily in the starting customization) but can mostly do whatever else beyond your starting template?
It's exactly like Dark Souls, in the sense that the initial class decides just your initial distribution of skills and stats, but then you can go anywhere from there.
Of course, like in Dark Souls, that doesn't mean that in terms of min-maxing you are advised to make your pick randomly.

Top Bottom