• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Zukuu

Banned
Eh, I'm not entirely one-sided on this but I feel in a lot of cases live portraits can look really bad. It's a lot harder to ruin 2D character portraits. I suppose the one major draw-back of 2D portraits is keeping your portrait and character in-sync if the game allow for a lot of character appearance customization.

Since they went with only a few base heads, they could have just done it in 2D and colored them differently. Each head with most hair styles and then just recolor them based on the skin color and hair color selected respectively. Wouldn't take long, wouldn't take much space and would make for an indefinetly better approach. In fact, I hope that's the first mod to come out.

I've just checked, I spent 4.3 hours already in the game and dind't went any further than the first battle (which is roughly 30 seconds into the game). xD That's how long I spent with character creation so far. haha

Moff

Healers house, do the small quest about choosing who to save with the healer's apprentice.

I dont understand, isnt the healers apprentice something you find out AFTER you went to the murder crime scene (where you get teleported to the homestead)? and its not really a small quest, you need to find her lab on the beach? you must be talking about another quest than that, right?

Well, I would normally agree with you, but let's face it, it's not like those 2D portraits are exactly stellar anyway.

the female ones are pretty good in my opinion. males not so much.
I will definitely have to pick a 2d portrait and model my characters after them, though. that sucks a bit.

Santiako

I dont understand, isnt the healers apprentice something you find out AFTER you went to the murder crime scene (where you get teleported to the homestead)? and its not really a small quest, you need to find her lab on the beach? you must be talking about another quest than that, right?

You can go to the homestead almost immediately after arriving to the city. One of the houses near the entrance is the town Healer (I don't remember his name), in one of the rooms in his house, his apprentice has found a magic stone and wants to heal one of two sick people with it but can't decide who, you choose for her and she uses the stone which turns out to be a very important item that summons you to the Homestead, where you find Zyxzyx. I've never even gone to the murder scene :p

Moff

You can go to the homestead almost immediately after arriving to the city. One of the houses near the entrance is the town Healer (I don't remember his name), in one of the rooms in his house, his apprentice has found a magic stone and wants to heal one of two sick people with it but can't decide who, you choose for her and she uses the stone which turns out to be a very important item that summons you to the Homestead, where you find Zyxzyx. I've never even gone to the murder scene :p

hm, thats very very very interesting

Arulan

Well, I would normally agree with you, but let's face it, it's not like those 2D portraits are exactly stellar anyway.

True, they're nothing special.

Since they went with only a few base heads, they could have just done it in 2D and colored them differently. Each head with most hair styles and then just recolor them based on the skin color and hair color selected respectively. Wouldn't take long, wouldn't take much space and would make for an indefinetly better approach. In fact, I hope that's the first mod to come out.

I've just checked, I spent 4.3 hours already in the game and dind't went any further than to first battle (which is roughly 30 seconds into the game). xD That's how long I spent with character creation so far. haha

Yeah, that would work fine.

I installed the beta recently to have an idea of how I wanted to build my characters. Unfortunately I'm still not completely sure and will likely spend a few hours in the character creation come release.

Decado

Going on a bit of a turn based binge in preparation. Just bought Enemy Within for some pure combat turn based gameplay, and downloading Shadowrun+Dragonfall for the rpg elements too.

I obviously won't finish them in time, but I think I might have found my new favourite genre, so a backlog is good news!
No doubt. Started playing Enemy Within + Long War mod a few nights ago. A time pit.

I also bought Age of Wonders 3 during the sale, have Dragonfall and Banner Saga on deck, started Legendary Heroes about a week ago. Naturally I'm not getting anywhere with any of them.

I almost picked up Blackguards during its sale, too. Been super tempted to replay The Temple of Elemental Evil with the Circle of 8 mod pack.

I've got turn-based ADD!

Peff

So this patch downloading right now is to fix the editor? For a second there I thought they realized it's a weekend :(

FACE

Banned
Apartenly the game is already for sale in fnac in France:

3 days to go and the hype is eating me alive.

coffee-sylvester-cat0kduk.gif

Can't wait.

Serrato

I bought the game about a month ago and I'm waiting for the release to even play it.

So I have some questions since i'm gonna play the game in co-op with my brother :

What's the max Real Player count? 2?

Then when I see screenshots with 4 characters, those include NPCs/Followers/others?

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I bought the game about a month ago and I'm waiting for the release to even play it.

So I have some questions since i'm gonna play the game in co-op with my brother :

Then when I see screenshots with 4 characters, those include NPCs/Followers/others?

Two main characters, both with the possibility of one companion and combat summon (you can summon them out of combat, but they will eventually desummon).

So six in combat and four otherwise.

elyetis

Unmodded game is 2 max Real player. It seems like you could mod it for a maximum of 4 player ( or more ? ) but it would require quite some work because of how the rock/paper kind of thing to make some decision between player ( at least that's what I understood from their last few stream ).

Serrato

Two main characters, both with the possibility of one companion and combat summon (you can summon them out of combat, but they will eventually desummon).

So six in combat and four otherwise.

Thanks! And do you control the stats of the followers or they are set in stone?

slayn

needs to show more effort.
On a stream I watched they wern't sure on max number of players. They said for sure 6 or maybe 8.

The main campaign is 2 real players, though they also mentioned they tried modding it to 4 and played through the game that way. It was supposedly functional, but you have to keep in mind that with 4 people playing the campaign 2 of them will still be the main characters and the other two people playing will be second fiddle story wise.

Moff

the last update changed several things in the starting are.
I might be mistaken, but I thought I saw some more detailed assets. and they certainly changed some item locations and some balancing. the standard mage fire spell has a 2 round cooldown now for instance, thats quite a nerf.

the last update changed several things in the starting are.
I might be mistaken, but I thought I saw some more detailed assets. and they certainly changed some item locations and some balancing. the standard mage fire spell has a 2 round cooldown now for instance, thats quite a nerf.

You're referring to Flare, right? Of so, that makes sense. It seemed OP as hell when I was playing through the intro last night. Shit, Mage in general was OP when I spec'd him with Fire & Water. Then he had his default magic staff that shot fire balls. I was wrecking everything with him while my fighter had to "ram" every fight just to get into melee range.

Still can't believe I missed the sale for this... Damnit all to hell :(

I'm still a tad confused on the co-op mechanics. Is this a la fable 2 henchmen (minus the screen/position limitations) where the joining player takes over an NPC of the host or does the joining player bring their own hero in? I'm sure this has been explained multiple times so I apologize in advance.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Is the full version out now? The steam page doesn't mention anything and still says early access game. Hate that shit.

Santiako

Still can't believe I missed the sale for this... Damnit all to hell :(

I'm still a tad confused on the co-op mechanics. Is this a la fable 2 henchmen (minus the screen/position limitations) where the joining player takes over an NPC of the host or does the joining player bring their own hero in? I'm sure this has been explained multiple times so I apologize in advance.

If I remember correctly, everything is stored locally, so the characters are the host's. If you join the game during the creation of the characters, you can create one to then keep using in next sessions with that person.

Is the full version out now? The steam page doesn't mention anything and still says early access game. Hate that shit.

Not yet, this Monday.

elyetis

Steam Sale rules all.
I sure love me some Steam sales. I just don't get how it could make them busy, are their backend software so bad, that they need to put each sale by hand, even the community choice ?
And the amount of work required to put a tool online should really be about as hard as pressing a single button.

Moff

will it be a midnight release?
europe time zone for me

is it possible to see the unlock time somewhere when a game has early access?

Zukuu

Banned
man I want to extract the .pak files but haven't found a compatible program yet. =/
Maybe I can add some more portraits or something. I dunno if you can alter the game via the normal editor in such a way.

Chaos17

You can look around at tf2outpost to see if anyone is still trading it for 10 keys. That's how I got it and it cost around $23.

Yup, did it earlier thanks to Zakalwe guidance and I was able to buy 2 copies of the games for 39.12 euros keys instead of 80 euros. I'm so glad.

sueil

I bought this game and decided to play the first hour or so and noticed in character creation a skill called teleport. When I telefragged my first enemy I felt like my entire life was leading to that moment.

Zukuu

Banned
I bought this game and decided to play the first hour or so and noticed in character creation a skill called teleport. When I telefragged my first enemy I felt like my entire life was leading to that moment.
Teleport is amazing. The CC aspect of it is just glorious. Teleporting an enemy into an electrocuted puddle is just so gud.

epmode

Is it worth putting points into telekinesis? It sounds like it could be fun but I haven't spent enough time with the game.

Sentenza

Teleport is amazing. The CC aspect of it is just glorious. Teleporting an enemy into an electrocuted puddle is just so gud.
Not to mention teleporting it knocked down just at the feet of your angry knight, with his massive 2H weapon and the Bully talent.

iDKgCSn9yiI6E.gif

sueil

Just played through the landing on the beach and the optional tutorial dungeon to get a feel for the game. I am blown away. The combat is so god damn good. The dungeon design and the way everything worked together and the puzzle solving etc.. The writing seemed pretty good as well. I pray to god the part of the game that hasn't been released publicly yet holds up to the high standard that the beta did.

Sentenza

Just played through the landing on the beach and the optional tutorial dungeon to get a feel for the game. I am blown away. The combat is so god damn good.
Believe me, you have yet to see the good combat if you just reached that part.
As I pointed few pages back, the encounter design for the toughest fights in this game is just awesome.

How many people have played through the entire early access content?

I did when I got the game about a month ago. So great, I can't wait to dive back in to that content again and continue the story.

Sothpaw

How many people have played through the entire early access content?

I did when I got the game about a month ago. So great, I can't wait to dive back in to that content again and continue the story.

I haven't but the little I played convinced me that the game will be great.

Zeliard

Hm, interesting, but not too surprising. They did seem a bit harried in the last month or two of development, but it'll be good for them to put a solid full-length game out there and get some of the other features out with less of the mounting pressure that comes with approaching a deadline.

Zukuu

Banned
Release Version Features

Some things are getting cut.

This is REALLY disheartening... No Personality is a HUGE downgrade for the experience. That should have been a BIG, BIG priority. Only two companions (both of which have the most common classes) is also a huge bummer. I'm set on playing Warrior + Mage as my hero pair, but now I'm FORCED to forfeit that plan or make a double 'Lone Wolf' run... If I wouldn't be so hyped, I would wait a few patches, but the wait is already consuming me, so I' play nonetheless. >_< Still, I'm very disappointed by Larian.

Top Bottom