• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Taruranto

So can anyone say what one can expect from the story? I would assume they will continue their witty sort of dialogue from the first game, or is it more serious now?

If I'm going to buy this game, should I expect just a good combat RPG with extensive loot and multiplayer or a compelling story as in Baldurs Gate and what have you?

I just hope it will be better than Ego Draconis, it had one of the most nonsensical ending/plot twist of all times.

OmegaDL50

So Divinity: Original Sin lost the community vote.

Herc_is_Disappointed.gif

RK9039

This might seem silly but how do I craft? I have a ton of ingredients but no idea how to actually combine them.

You drag and drop the items you want to craft (combine them). Not all items will work together, that's why there are recipe books in the game (flour+water to make dough etc).

Zukuu

Banned
Maybe if you like nonsense and glaring plot holes.

The dragon voice that he heard lured him to where he ends up being. You have no clue about what happened to you, so its the only source that makes any sense of the situation you're in and you have no reason not to trust it. .The voice was betraying you all along and the revelation was cool in the end. The ending, you being trapped forever in a crystal acting as source of power (or something), was just awesome. I LOVED that it didn't had a happy end at all.
How can you not like it?

- The depth of the underlying ruleset.
- The variety in the battles (in terms of environmental interactions, encounter types, terrain and goals).
- Hexes. If you have to do a spatial discretization, at least chose the better one.

The most major one of these is really the second point. It's what makes Blackguards really different for me compared to, say, Expedition: Conquistador. After the first few hours I played that one more in spite of its battles than because of them, since they all played out so very similarly. So far, in Blackguards, I don't get that feeling at all. And variety in encounter design might be the single most important thing in a SRPG for me.

You just sold me on Blackguards, thanks

lokeloski

Damn, just bought a MacBook for work and now realized the game runs ok in it.
I guess I won't be doing much work for the next few months. Or years.

I remember enjoying Divine Divinity back when it came out(although I will admit I didn't finish it), and it seems to be fondly remembered so why does everyone recommend to skip Beyond?

sueil

Oh god I just had the coolest fucking moment in a game ever. I realized that the teleport spell I had that I use to kill enemies would work just as well on say, a chest that is sitting on a cliff that I can't access. My mind was blown away. Monday is so far away.

Laekon

Is the game play more modern in this than the Baldur's Gate series? I really liked Dragon Age Origin but had a hard time getting into BG II because of the spell casting system.

Eusis

Is the game play more modern in this than the Baldur's Gate series? I really liked Dragon Age Origin but had a hard time getting into BG II because of the spell casting system.
You're going to need to define what "modern" means here...

Moff

yes the magic it is more mordern, is has spell cooldowns like dragon age origins instead of baldurs gates "3 casts until you rest again"

but remember, unlike dragon age, original sin is completely round based

OmegaDL50

I've watched character creation vids, the only thing I want to know outside of hair and skin color, is there some sort of option to change the color of your clothing? and I don't mean underwear.

The red and white default scheme, I'd like to change to some sort of dark blue tone.

Anyone that played the beta a bit think that two ranged characters would be viable? My wife and I tend to both play ranged, her a ranger type and myself a mage type,

Moff

Anyone that played the beta a bit think that two ranged characters would be viable? My wife and I tend to both play ranged, her a ranger type and myself a mage type,

thats what I will do, so yes.
but in my case, when I play alone and I find that I lack 1 melee, it will be easy to make the ranger a rogue.

Laekon

You're going to need to define what "modern" means here...

Don't have to rest or re-memorize different spells for each battle.

yes the magic it is more mordern, is has spell cooldowns like dragon age origins instead of baldurs gates "3 casts until you rest again"

but remember, unlike dragon age, original sin is completely round based

Thanks that is what I wanted to hear before purchasing. Is there also a more modern journal system? This might be the game for my MacBook Pro when I travel if I can remember where I'm at.

Ceebs

Don't have to rest or re-memorize different speeds for each battle.

Thanks that is what I wanted to hear before purchasing. Is there also a more modern journal system? This might be the game for my MacBook Pro when I travel if I can remember where I'm at.

The journal is very clean and easy to use, but it only recaps information you are given. No like quest tracking or waypoints or anything though. You have to explore for yourself to find things. More than enough to refresh your memory though.

Moff

some quets do involve quest markers though, if you are given an exact location by an npc or a book, there will be a marker on the map.

other quests might only give vague information, so you wont get markers.
so, the answer is both.

Ceebs

some quets do involve quest markers though, if you are given an exact location by an npc or a book, there will be a marker on the map.

so, the answer is both.

Oh, I have not stumbled across any of those yet. I just keep wandering around killing and stealing things until release.

fanboi

Banned

so, the answer is both.

This is one thing that makes me very happy.

aravuus

so, the answer is both.

This sounds great. I hate it when you're given markers on quests that involve like a mystery or something, yet the game just outright says that "talk to this NPC to learn about something and proceed".
But I also hate it when markers aren't given when I know where I'm supposed to go. The marker doesn't make it easier or anything like that, just less annoying since I don't have to keep checking the map just to know if I'm still going in the right direction.

Also, does the mage you get in the first town or wherever it was have Teleport? Seems like a very good skill to have, but I'm not gonna start with a mage in my party.

e: and i noticed i had divinity 2 in steam lol, never realized. gonna download it and give it a go.

Moff

Also, does the mage you get in the first town or wherever it was have Teleport? Seems like a very good skill to have, but I'm not gonna start with a mage in my party.

in the beta he had it, yes. but that might change.
and if he doesnt, you can give it to him easily as soon as you find/buy the book.

Upgraded my graphics card just for this game (well as a final justifier to finally do it) runs sooooo much better. Hitched before but silky smooth now. My body, and PC, are ready.

On topic: Do air and water disciplines get proper attack spells?

Moff

at least in the beginning there are no water attack spells, air has lightning and stuff. water has heals.

Durante

I don't know if there is any reason to update the OP. :/
NO one reads the OP again after reading it once (including me) - at least that's been my experience.

Recently when I make threads I always make a post with the new stuff in it if I made a substantial update to the OP.

Noaloha

I think water has a low level offensive ice projectile which can freeze wet enemies and pools of water on the ground.
Edit: worth noting that, though there are dedicated vendors for skill books in the various schools, the actual books they have in stock is generated randomly. I think the stock refreshes on level ups..? Or I entirely misunderstood how it worked in beta. That's also possible.

Corpekata

Banned
Little annoyed we're getting down to the wire with how they're handling the kickstarter keys. Not sure why they couldn't have handed out the full access ones by now and save everyone the headache Monday morning.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
NO one reads the OP again after reading it once (including me) - at least that's been my experience.

Recently when I make threads I always make a post with the new stuff in it if I made a substantial update to the OP.

:/. That's probably the best course of action.

Top Bottom