• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Zukuu

Banned
Asked this in the Steam Sale thread, but I just picked this up. Is it worth getting the download going now, or should I wait until tomorrow since the full release is coming out? Sorry if dumb.

If you bought it on Steam, you can start downloading as the release will be just an update. Only KS backers will probably need to re-download the entire thing (or move the folder content or something).

Terra_Ex

Ah.. and again no editor. Valve couldnt release the editor for 4 days because of summer sale. Valve is really lazy :(

It is somewhat puzzling that the entire company seems to grind to a halt because a (presumably mostly automated) sale is underway... I feel sorry for the guys at Larian who put in those extra hours to get the editor ready prior to release.

epmode

If you bought it on Steam, you can start downloading as the release will be just an update. Only KS backers will probably need to re-download the entire thing (or move the folder content or something).

I just checked my Larian Vault account. Looks like Kickstarter backers have codes which will have to be entered into the Steam version of the game to re-activate it. I don't think we'll have to redownload anything.

Zukuu

Banned
I just checked my Larian Vault account. Looks like Kickstarter backers have codes which will have to be entered into the Steam version of the game to re-activate it. I don't think we'll have to redownload anything.
That wasn't the case a few days ago. Maybe they found a way. Upon logging into the vault, there is a new message at the top:

Your alpha/beta version on Steam will stop working the day of release.
All backers with alpha/beta access on Steam need to re-activate the game on Steam with a new key.
This was done so that you can choose GOG or Steam as a platform.

If you create a profile in the game and it asks you for a Kickstarter backer code, please use the following unique, personal code. You can select this code and then copy it. You can paste it by clicking the small green button in the game next to the input box.
xxx-xxx-xxx...

Farks!

Just bought this, looking forward to digging in. Don't know if I'll play it right away or add it to my backlog though...

Zukuu

Banned
You have to go to PROFILE - Create new Profile and when it asks for a kickstarter code, paste the code you get from the message I posted above in the larian vault. However, mine says "invalid kickstarter code entered". Maybe it's not unlocked yet?

epmode

Really? I'm only seeing Alpha and Beta access keys on Larian vault.

Log in to the vault, click on the D:OS Kickstarter button at the top of the page and you should see the message along with your code right below the header. It's highlighted in bright red and it's almost impossible to miss.

It might not be showing up for everyone yet.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Back on sale for the encore day!

100%, Saves are not compatible.

So, Steam is kind of dead right now - but Original Sin seems to be a daily again. Not sure if the prices already updated, because as I said - Steam is just dead atm.

Edit: Beaten. lol

100% likely, that's what they said.

Well, shit.

I guess I'll wait a day, then!

Lucifon

Egh, little bit pissed it's on sale again after Larian tweeted out that the first sale was the only one they'd do (I know it went up for vote, but didn't win). Slightly frustrating for those of us which missed the sale and jumped in because of that comment...

Back on sale for the encore day!

100%, Saves are not compatible.

So, Steam is kind of dead right now - but Original Sin seems to be a daily again. Not sure if the prices already updated, because as I said - Steam is just dead atm.

Edit: Beaten. lol

100% likely, that's what they said.

Oh really? Even if I were to get it today? I was under the impression that the patch has already been applied. Well then, I will wait just a day then.

VandalD

Log in to the vault, click on the D:OS Kickstarter button at the top of the page and you should see the message along with your code right below the header. It's highlighted in bright red and it's almost impossible to miss.

It might not be showing up for everyone yet.
Oh, I thought you meant Steam and GOG codes. That one is just if you're playing the beta and it won't let you make a profile.

Eusis

Egh, little bit pissed it's on sale again after Larian tweeted out that the first sale was the only one they'd do (I know it went up for vote, but didn't win). Slightly frustrating for those of us which missed the sale and jumped in because of that comment...
You should always, always wait until the last day of Steam sales before making those plunges. Especially as encores usually do take in the best selling games and this one actually sold pretty well throughout that first day.

epmode

Oh, I thought you meant Steam and GOG codes. That one is just if you're playing the beta and it won't let you make a profile.

Is this a recent thing, then? It wasn't there yesterday.

I assumed that's how they were doing to handle the re-activation thing rather than making us fully redownload the game from Steam.

How is the actual gameplay in the game? Is it about how many different choices/branching storylines or how amazing the aesthetic and world building is or is it actual about the gameplay? Is it a Bioshock Infinite or a Dark Souls?

VandalD

Is this a recent thing, then? It wasn't there yesterday.

I assumed that's how they were doing to handle the re-activation thing rather than making us fully redownload the game from Steam.
I'm not sure. I don't remember seeing it the last time I checked. It seemed to me that, for Kickstarter backers, they were going to make the game actually disappear from your Steam list when it's released, then you'd request and use either a Steam or GOG key.

My only question for all of this was whether or not the game would detect files when you go to reinstall it on Steam. And I would guess that the Steam/GOG keys won't go up until the game disappears from Steam lists, since weird shit could maybe happen if they let you put in a release key on top of an alpha/beta access key.

Zukuu

Banned
How is the actual gameplay in the game? Is it about how many different choices/branching storylines or how amazing the aesthetic and world building is or is it actual about the gameplay? Is it a Bioshock Infinite or a Dark Souls?
It's neither lol. It's a deep sandbox cRPG with a strategic, free-movement, turn based combat system. You can do pretty much everything.

Corpekata

Banned

I'd say more gameplay oriented, though you probably need a taste for turn based combat. The storyline seems decent enough but it's fairly light hearted so I can't imagine it'll be the main draw. The turn based combat and being able to do most things in a huge variety of ways are what makes it stand out.

Levyne

Banned
Alright, spent about an hour learning the UI and dinking around. I know that's not much compared to some of you but knowing nothing transfers is a little bit of a barrier to wanting to play much further, haha.

One question though, you have to manually save always? Hope I never forget to do that.

VandalD

Alright, spent about an hour learning the UI and dinking around. I know that's not much compared to some of you but knowing nothing transfers is a little bit of a barrier to wanting to play much further, haha.

One question though, you have to manually save always? Hope I never forget to do that.
I was pretty sure there was autosaving, but one of the rules of sandbox RPGs is saving frequently anyways. F5!

Autosaves occur. You can set the frequency in the game options, I believe.

Edit: Looks like you can only set the number of auto saves. Not the frequency.

VandalD

Picked this up. Pretty excited to see what the magic system is like.
Cooldowns. No mana. Action point costs. Create an ice sheet on the ground, have guys slip and fall on it, melt the ice sheet and set the guys on fire with a fireball, zap the water they're still lying face first in with a lightning bolt.

pix

Has anyone made up some custom classes that they care to show and explain? Just curious on reason for taking certain skills especially in the beginning.

Zukuu

Banned
I've never bought an early access game before. If I download the game now, will there just be a patch unlocking the full game tomarrow?

If you bought it on steam, yes.

Has anyone made up some custom classes that they care to show and explain? Just curious on reason for taking certain skills especially in the beginning.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=118224203&postcount=675

Update: Bully is only working for weapon attacks, so I won't give it my Mage anymore. Probably giving her Pet Pal or something.

joesmokey

Cooldowns. No mana. Action point costs. Create an ice sheet on the ground, have guys slip and fall on it, melt the ice sheet and set the guys on fire with a fireball, zap the water they're still lying face first in with a lightning bolt.
I meant I'm excited to see what it feels like :). Haven't played a game with a good magic system in a while. Hoping this fits the bill.

Levyne

Banned
I apologize if this has been asked before or if there is a better place to look, but I know the multiplayer means you don't bring your own character. So what is the benefit of going into someone else's game? Do you get to bring items or experience back? Similar to acting as a phantom in a Souls game?

Or maybe I have something confused.

Top Bottom