• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
seriously? I took off a day at work for this game and now it realeases in the evening? :(

Games generally release at 12:00 AM or 10:00 AM PT on the specified day. But they are suggestions at best. Valve either activates the release manually or their automated system is awful, because a few times, games passed the announced release time by a few hours.

Sorry though. :(

anteevy

Since I've not played that far: Are skill/spell books destroyed when learning from them? Or is it possible to keep e.g. 10 books and always learn the 3 (if that's the current max amount of that type of skill/spells) that are the most helpful in the next battle? In other games, I always love to tweak my skills before a major fight - instead of just having a general purpose build that cannot (or at least not cheaply) be changed and may or may not be good for that fight.

I think I've decided my duo, a buff/debuff maybe slightly tanky cleric and a range rogue with probably a touch of geomancy to cause havoc.

Kvik

Today I learned that there's a top down view, Ultima VI-style.

What a joy to play a PC game which its UI wasn't made for console.

pahamrick

Is there any information or guides on Rogues? I tried playing one, and while I enjoyed it I kept running into issues for things like back stab. The whole "I'm behind him! No, not really!" thing where it looks like I'm perfectly behind the target, but back stab doesn't give the extra damage.

Noaloha

Is there any information or guides on Rogues? I tried playing one, and while I enjoyed it I kept running into issues for things like back stab. The whole "I'm behind him! No, not really!" thing where it looks like I'm perfectly behind the target, but back stab doesn't give the extra damage.
The attack cursor will change to a hand holding a dagger if you're correctly positioned for a backstab. If you move behind and the cursor hasn't changed, you can usually shift around more without incurring an AP cost. The developers stated that they wanted players to learn themselves to some degree where the sweetspot is. You can also make use of the tactical view to get an indicator of the target's facing. With those two things combined, there shouldn't be an issue getting in position.

pahamrick

The attack cursor will change to a hand holding a dagger if you're correctly positioned for a backstab. If you move behind and the cursor hasn't changed, you can usually shift around more without incurring an AP cost. The developers stated that they wanted players to learn themselves to some degree where the sweetspot is. You can also make use of the tactical view to get an indicator of the target's facing. With those two things combined, there shouldn't be an issue getting in position.

I never even noticed the cursor change when it worked, don't I feel silly. Thanks for the info!

Donos

Sorry for my confusion but is the final game releasing tomorrow? Because there is still something about early access in Steam.

Almost missed this game but reading the LTTP of BG2 i remembered that i had subscribed this thread.Hope this also run okish on older hardware. Have only a Notebook mit i5-450M 2.4 GHz, 8GB Ram and a Radeon Mobility HD 5650 (2GB).

Moff

Games generally release at 12:00 AM or 10:00 AM PT on the specified day. But they are suggestions at best. Valve either activates the release manually or their automated system is awful, because a few times, games passed the announced release time by a few hours.

Sorry though. :(
well this is the most official date I could find, so I have still hope. it looks though its steams decision and not larians? I dont know how this works
https://twitter.com/larianstudios/status/482933360659292160

anways, I also read that someone said it would be late afternoon for europe, which would be bad

Zukuu

Banned
well this is the most official date I could find, so I have still hope. it looks though its steams decision and not larians? I dont know how this works

anways, I also read that someone said it would be late afternoon for europe, which would be bad

20:00 CEST is what I've read over and over again, including the larian forums.

Means for me it's 22:00.... the time when Germany plays its match. Perfectly aligned to keep me busy while it downloads. Afterwards, my body will be SO ready.

Jag

Any thoughts on a Ranger/Rogue hybrid? I'm a little underwhelmed by Ranger damage compared to melee.

epmode

With all of the confusion about Kickstarter backers and whether or not we have to fully reinstall the game, I just uninstalled it now and I plan on using TeamViewer to install the final version while I'm at work tomorrow.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah that is where I got the time, but misread it as the earlier one. Valve is based in Seattle, so their "days" usually rollover at 10:00 AM PT. This is usually when they launch games, but they have also done midnight 12:00 AM PT launches in the past. The original timer was designed to end at the latter time. Valve seems to rely on manual activation though, it could be 11:00 AM PT before anything happens.

Any thoughts on a Ranger/Rogue hybrid? I'm a little underwhelmed by Ranger damage compared to melee.

Ranger is very powerful when used in conjunction with magic. I spent a few hours in the Beta rolling over everything with a Mage/Ranger (Wayfarer)/Mage/Knight party. My Knight usually just sat around waiting as the rest of my party decimated enemies from afar. I dropped the melee aspect though. It doesn't really seem that effective.

If you want to do a Ranger/Rogue build I would suggest you invest in Teleport , the oil slick (Don't remember the exact name) or the Ranger specific retreat move. You'll need at least one to manage the multiple enemies you'll face outside of Cyseal. The back stab mechanic becomes superfluous when the undead start using AOE attacks from after. But you might have more success than I did if you use some of the scoundrel tree melee based abilities.

matmanx1

I don't really care about the rogue damage skills anyway, at least from the little I have seen. The rogue stuff that matters seems to me to be the utility stuff like lockpicking and disarming traps, which I guess anyone can do with enough perception?

I tried out a wayfarer yesterday and I just don't think that bows are as much fun as staves. That's a personal opinion, of course. If I can swing it, I may still make a wayfarer type character but base her on an enchanter or wizard so that she starts with the staff. Then I can slowly build in some of the rogue utility skills so that she ends up being an Int/Dex/Perception character.

Santiako

I've watched character creation vids, the only thing I want to know outside of hair and skin color, is there some sort of option to change the color of your clothing? and I don't mean underwear.

The red and white default scheme, I'd like to change to some sort of dark blue tone.

You can't change the default scheme but there are dyes that you can apply to any piece of armor.

Conezays

Stoked for this having finished the beta a month ago...then I bought Divinity 2 and Dragon Commander this week. How will I play them all?!
let alone all the other games I bought on sale

Sothpaw

Grim Dawn is a flash sale. If you guys like ARPG's at all you should definitely buy it.

Edit: Oh wow it is #3 on the Steam charts, awesome.

Zukuu

Banned
Nice work 'D to the E'. Won't make use of it tho. On ultra settings @1080p I'm hovering between 40-50 fps, so I can't take another hit to the FPS.

Tommyhawk

I just released GeDoSaTo Beta 8 - it's compatible with Divinity: OS! (And a lot of other new games)

Awesome, thank you Durante!

Looks like something is happening in the Larian Vault.
There is a massage now that my KS early access version will stop working and there is also a unique backer key which I must activate ingame.
The keys for the game itself though are alas still not available.

Laekon

Played this from Steam on a 13" current gen rMBP in bed this morning. It auto set to medium settings and had a few issue with the lack of a mouse and the screen auto scrolling in a random direction but beyond that not bad. With the screen set at just below medium brightness and the keyboard light on it ate through the battery in less that 3 hours but didn't get to hot for my lap.

I feel like if I don't make a standard tank/mage/cleric/archer party I'm really going to suffer later on. Does anyone have any idea if you have to have a full party and if there are all other class types to pick up along the way?

Corpekata

Banned
Played this from Steam on a 13" current gen rMBP in bed this morning. It auto set to medium settings and had a few issue with the lack of a mouse and the screen auto scrolling in a random direction but beyond that not bad. With the screen set at just below medium brightness and the keyboard light on it ate through the battery in less that 3 hours but didn't get to hot for my lap.

I feel like if I don't make a standard tank/mage/cleric/archer party I'm really going to suffer later on. Does anyone have any idea if you have to have a full party and if there are all other class types to pick up along the way?

There's a warrior and mage companion early on (actual characters). There are henchman to fill other slots but these are blank slate types. I'd say a full party seems needed personally. Probably don't need to stick that closely to the archetypes, it seems like healing can be folded into classes pretty easily. But we only have 1/4 of the game so it might be a different story at the level cap.

Zukuu

Banned
I don't think you need a dedicated healer; a mage or cleric that has access to a healing spell should be enough. You have food, potions and skills like Warrior's heal wounds on top. You don't even need a dedicated tank, IF you have enough CC / Damage / Mobility or Summons on your range characters. Personally, I'll go with a melee DPS / tank that has Lone Wolf, a mage and a Archer with some Rogue talents.

We don't know which roles the henchman will have. Maybe we can alter them ourselves in the actual game (e.g. mercenary guild / camp) or maybe there will be a number of preset archetypes that you can find in the game.

Durante

Nice work 'D to the E'. Won't make use of it tho. On ultra settings @1080p I'm hovering between 40-50 fps, so I can't take another hit to the FPS.
I probably also won't use it (outside maybe occasional screenshotting), 2560x1440 (my monitor resolution) with everything maxed seems like the sweet spot on my HW.

erbazzone

Neo Member
Hi Durante, your update of Gesodato is impossible to download with chrome.
Chrome says it's a virus and never ends the downlaod, it's the first time it happens to me o_O
I solved renaming the unconfirmed.chrdownload into a zip.

Maybe you can compress him in a rar... I dunno

Durante

Yeah, Chrome has been doing that since beta 6 or so.

It sucks.

Edit: and google's process for resolving this sucks even more. And their instructions are some of the most condescending crap I've ever read on an official website. Fuck them, use firefox.

Noaloha

The devs have stated that Normal Difficulty combat encounters are (1) balanced so as to be challenging and (2) balanced with a full party of four in mind.

The game certainly can tackled with a smaller party, but the devs consider it a 'Challenge Mode' type deal, even with the Lone Wolf trait which is intended to mitigate the extra difficulty. (I suspect the recent nerf to Lone Wolf is a response to players figuring out strats to reliably duo the beta content.)

Jag

I'm tempted to take a summon on each character, but that seems kind of 'cheesing' it. Having summons makes combat much easier.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
How likely is it that a launch day patch will break save compatibility? I'm thinking of starting the game up now.

MayMay

Banned
So, Steam is kind of dead right now - but Original Sin seems to be a daily again. Not sure if the prices already updated, because as I said - Steam is just dead atm.

Edit: Beaten. lol

How likely is it that a launch day patch will break save compatibility? I'm thinking of starting the game up now.

100% likely, that's what they said.

Zukuu

Banned
The devs have stated that Normal Difficulty combat encounters are (1) balanced so as to be challenging and (2) balanced with a full party of four in mind.

The game certainly can tackled with a smaller party, but the devs consider it a 'Challenge Mode' type deal, even with the Lone Wolf trait which is intended to mitigate the extra difficulty. (I suspect the recent nerf to Lone Wolf is a response to players figuring out strats to reliably duo the beta content.)

There was a tactic that involved Lone Wolf that made you nigh invincible, yes.

I'm gonna play with a party of 3 on Hard. Bring it on, game.

Asked this in the Steam Sale thread, but I just picked this up. Is it worth getting the download going now, or should I wait until tomorrow since the full release is coming out? Sorry if dumb.

Top Bottom